[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does nobody like 8-bit Sonic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: sonic2master.png (189KB, 256x361px) Image search: [Google]
sonic2master.png
189KB, 256x361px
I dare say they are even better as platformers than their 16-bit incarnations.
>>
I liked Sonic 1 and Chaos, but never liked 2.
The level design is bad.
>>
2 wasn't bad after that first level. What were they thinking?
>>
It's just that the 16-bit versions are much, much better. I like 1 a lot, but not 2.
8-bit had the better Scrap Brain theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUZZXGbipc
>>
>>4185724
The 2nd zone has that gimmick hanglider that isn't fun at all to use.
>>
>>4185729
My uncle worked at a video shop back in the day, and he told me at least 2 people every week tried to return the game because they couldn't get past the hangglider.

He didn't even play videogames, but he learned how to pass this level, just so he could teach the people who came to return the games. Since the parents came with their kids, he taught the kids (to appease them), and they didn't return the games. I remember returning from school a few times and passing in front of the store, and he was teaching some kid how to pass it.

I'm pretty sure he still remembers how to pass this level.
>>
File: ScrambledEggZoneandSilverSonic.jpg (436KB, 1072x1204px) Image search: [Google]
ScrambledEggZoneandSilverSonic.jpg
436KB, 1072x1204px
Top Tier:
Sonic 2

High Tier:
Sonic 1

Mid Tier:
Triple Trouble

Low Tier:
Chaos

Shit Tier:
Blast
>>
>>4185769
Why Chaos lower than 2?
>>
>>4185771
Chaos was too short and extremely easy.
>>
>>4185717
I like them. Sonic 1 and 2 on the Master System are among the absolute best Sonic games. Chaos isn't that good though.

>>4185771
Come on, m8. Unlike the first two Chaos was designed for the Game Gear and it shows. It's a complete joke to play on the MS. I don't think there is a single non-boss enemy that can even attack you.
>>
>>4185717
the games were shit
>>
File: Sonic_(8-bit)_game_gear_boxart.jpg (40KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_(8-bit)_game_gear_boxart.jpg
40KB, 250x350px
I had no idea these games existed until a little while ago.
>>
I don't seem to recall there being more than 1 or 2 speed shoes or invincibility power ups in 8-bit Sonic 1. Weird.
>>
>>4185728
No it doesn't the genesis/mega drive version is objectively better
>>
>>4185724

you must of played the GG version
>>
>>4185769
_ ____ __ ____ ______
>>
Because very few people actually played 8-bit Sonic. The Master system games weren't even released in Japan, as Master System was already dead when they were developed.
>>
>>4188694
There aren't many Japanese posters on this board anyway, so why does that matter? Japan didn't even care about Sonic on the MD.
>>
I imagine if Super Mario World had released before SMB1 & 3 did and only released after SMW was a hit they wouldn't be thought of as classics either.
>>
>>4188810
You can't go one post without bringing up Nintendo.
>>
>>4188656
They're light on the powerups, yeah. Sonic 2 has exactly one power sneakers powerup, and it's in the level that is almost entirely underwater (the top part of level appears to be underwater but the water physics are not applied) so you don't get much speed out of it.
>>
>>4188694
>Because very few people actually played 8-bit Sonic.
Yeah, it's not like the Master System was popular outside your tiny corner of the world. USA! USA! USA!
>>
I know it will never happen, but a modern 8-bit Sonic could be really cool. 8-bit Mania.
>>
>>4185738
That hang-gliding part still fucks me up.
>>
>>4188680
I hate that Hedge[~]HOOOOGGG?
>>
>>4189007
I would suck taxman's dick for that.
Bonus points if he works alongside Ancient.
>>
File: latest.png (662KB, 429x599px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
662KB, 429x599px
Been meaning to try Tails Adventure, but the whole "you have to backtrack if you don't have the right items" deal gives me cold feet. On the other hand, the idea of playing it with a guide feels like it'd make it boring.
>>
>>4189414
>but the whole "you have to backtrack if you don't have the right items" deal gives me cold feet.
you literally described the metroidvania genre.
>>
>>4189434
it's not the same thing.

Imagine having to return to Samus' ship every time you needed to get a different item.
>>
>>4185724
The Green Hill zone is an abomination too.
And Crystal Egg...
and the bubble section of Aqua Lake Zone...
>>
>>4188841
>JAJAJAJA BRBRBRBR
Stay irrelevant
>>
>>4185717
That might be the best Master System cover art.
>>
It was popular in Australia.

>>4185729
I had no problem with the hangglider level in the SMS version but for some reason I can't for the life of me get the chaos emerald in the Game Gear version.
>>
>>4188694
>>4190801
Sega Master System and Sega in general did pretty well in Australia back in the early 90s.

I had a Sega Master System II with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in that also came bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I remember quite a few kids having the Mega Drive and Master system back in the early 90s. Even the Game Gear was a pretty common thing to have, as was the Atari Lynx.
>>
>>4185717
Because nobody played them, because this board is mostly populated by Americans and Master System wasn't popular in US.
>>
>>4185717
Grew up with it!
12/10!
>>
>>4192975
>this board is mostly populated by Americans
What's with this assumption? The world outside Clapistan is bigger than the world inside it.
>>
File: where.jpg (88KB, 1634x613px) Image search: [Google]
where.jpg
88KB, 1634x613px
>>4193658
It's not an assumption
>>
>>4193695
I don't get it. Only a handful of countries seem to be counted, if all countries were counted then the American percentage would surely drop under 50%. How does this prove that Yanks are the majority?
>>
>>4190919
Did you pronounce Sega like "Sea-guh"?
>>
>>4195539
Eh, nevermind. I was obviously too busy sucking cocks to pay any attention to the other numbers until just now. I guess the smaller percentages are just not displayed and all countries are accounted for.
>>
>>4195543
Yes. It's wrong but at least it sounds better than 'sayga', which is also wrong.
>>
They're just not very good compared to the 16 bit ones. Neat little curiosities but the genesis games are objectively better
>>
>>4185738
>things that actually happened
>>
>>4195551
>'sayga', which is also wrong.

That's literally how the company pronounces it.
>>
>>4195604
The voice sample in the games sounds like "Sehguh".
>>
>>4196789
>tfw scottish master race and say "seh gah"
>>
>>4195604
>english speakers in charge of vowels
>>
>Sanic thread turns into a "How the fuck do you pronounce Sega" thread
Never change, /vr/
>>
>>4196954
And the final, definitive meta answer is always the same:
Actual, real way to correctly pronounce SEGA is Seh-Gay (or se-gei, for non-anglo speakers).
SEGA comes from Service Games. Just pronounce the first vowel of each words and you're pronouncing SEGA.
>>
>>4196972
Then it would be "saw-gay" because Service games becomes sa-bisu geimu in Japanese
>>
>>4196789
I guess I pronounce "say" and "seh" exactly the same.
>>
>>4196897
Good lad.

>>4198085
Yanks would. After all, they invented 'animay' which has sadly become the common pronounciation in every English speaking country, even the ones that should know better. An 'e' sound should never be an 'ay' sound though. It doesn't take me 20 sayconds to have sayx with your mum after I play my Sayga. That just sounds stupid. All those words have the same 'se' sound.
>>
File: triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png (116KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png
116KB, 320x371px
>>4185717
>>
>>4198148
>UKfag tries to correct pronounciation

Your accent, from which ever part of Anglostan you're in, is so affected and fake that you guys can't even understand each other.
Go take a look at yourself ehn tha mee-ruh
>>
For the same reason that nobody likes the crappy Gameboy ports of SNES and arcade games: they're vastly inferior
>>
>>4198494
Can't help but notice a total lack of reasoning in your non-argument, m80.
Hang yourself by the 'nayck', 'paycker'-head.
>>
Wow. This thread is shit.

Luckily theres 20persquillion other sonic threads for me to loom at.

Although they're probably shit too.
>>
>>4185717
S1 SMS is pretty damn okay. Very solid game with good level design overall and great music. Really wish I had this on GG as a kid.
S2 SMS sucks. I had the GG version as a kid, but even when I finally got the SMS version, the game still doesn't have good level design.
Sonic Chaos is easy as shit. Music in SMS version is absurdly better than on GG. Might have been the first Sonic game I beat. It's too damn easy.
Triple Trouble is pretty great, but has lame stage design issues in the late game sections.

>>4196789
セ - se (say, less emphasis on the ay)
ガ - gah
sayga is more than valid (and it's what the Sonic voice says anyway)

>>4198148
ア - ah
ニ - ni
メ - may, with less emphasis on the ay than usual

>An 'e' sound should never be an 'ay' sound though
hang yourself you illiterate

>>4196972
>pic
did this with a PS1 controller
>>
>>4185717
Fun fact: I ONLY played the 8-bit Sonic's. And I mean that literally. I only played Sonic 1 & 2 on my GameGear and never touched another game of that series again, despite liking these two games.

But to be fair. The GameGear was my first console. Until than (and many years after) I only played on my C64 and Amiga, pretty much ignoring the whole 16-bit era of console games. There were just so many games to play just on these two platform. The next console after my GameGear was the PS 1.
>>
>they're bad ports
>they're inferior versions
howtospotanamerifat.jpg
>>
>>4200406
More like how to spot someone who didnt play them.
They aren't ports at all. They're totally different games with very little in common with the 16-bit versions. Sonic 2 GG doesn't even have a spin dash!
>>
>>4199752
Whatever you say betafag. Bayta-fag? Or would that be betta-fag?
>>
>>4200605
>More like how to spot someone who didnt play them.
Americans think that the MS is a really obscure system.

I really like the first two, but I would only recommend them to people that can appreciate slow pacing in a Sonic game. If your least favourite is 1 because of Marble Zone you're not going to like the Master System games.
>>
>>4200086
>セ - se (say, less emphasis on the ay)

That is absolutely not how 'se' is pronounced. Japanese 'e' is always 'eh.' There is no 'ay' as in 'gay' anywhere in Japanese phonology.

>inb4 some idiot claims 'ei' is a diphthong
>>
>>4200641
Americans don't think the Master System is obscure, it just doesn't ever factor because no one had one here.

I knew one guy with one growing up and he only had it because his dad was stationed overseas.

I and a few others had Game Gears though and my dad brought me some 100-in-1 bootleg cart that had a bunch of Sega Mark III games on it back from Thailand or whatever Asian shit-hole he had been sent to that month.
I had all the GG Sonics, and I actually had a GG before I had a Genesis so those were my introduction to the series. Even with no context, I could tell Sonic 2 GG sucked ass. It's why Sonic Chaos was such a relief when it came out.
>>
>>4200727

I think "no one ever had one" is quite exaggerated. Several households had one. There just weren't that many games released here in the U.S., so SMS units ended up getting traded or sold when people got tired of playing the same 2 or 3 games they owned.

I think U.S. retailers also phased out SMS games rather quickly. My household had copies of Kenseiden and Double Dragon, and that was it. We never spotted SMS games for sale anywhere.

There was something of an SMS revival when Sega released the converter base for Genesis. At that point, I remember picking up some SMS games from pawn shops. But again, there was little variety due to a severe lack of localized releases.
>>
I like a 8 bit sonic. Sonic Pocket Adventure.
>>
>>4200784
Toy R Us in the 80s had a weird setup to buy video games. You would go to the games section and there would be display cards for the game, with a ticket under it. The display card was the box art and you could flip it over to read the back of the box. To buy the game you would take that ticket that was under your desired game up front to a booth. The person there would then take your ticket and ring up the appropriate game.

The NES section was an expansive wall of magical art. Mario, Zelda, Metroid all kinds of stuff!
A little past that was the SMS section which was much smaller, and covered with that ugly fucking grid all the box art had. It was a ghost town.

Saying "no one had one" is obvious hyperbole, yes, but I even encountered more Turbografix-16s than I ever did SMS. I was an Army brat and I moved around to a new country or state every two to three years. Even the four years I lived in Hawaii, which is basically Japan: The US State, I never saw any kid with a SMS. Fucker next door had a 3DO. a friend of mine had a Famicom and Super Famicom with Dragon Ball Z games years before that craze would hit the mainland.
No SMSs to be seen and as a Sega fan, I deeply wanted to find one.
>>
Very short games. Tubes. Special stages could be annoying. Tubes. Finding emeralds in the zones could be annoying. Playing on the GG didn't helped due to small screen size where you couldn't see this and every jump seemed a gamble. More tubes. People sucking at the hang glider. Very few had a master system or a gg, mostly had a nes, snes, megadrive or gb. Tubes.

Overall i enjoyed the games and all had some memorable soundtracks.
Sonic 1 had a classic feeling and those special stages were great.
Sonic 2 was harder, had that bubble area in the labyrinth zone and Tubes zone. Holy shit, that had some tight platforming and a bunch of spikes to piss anyone off. Loved to bounce against Silver Sonic, shit was great.
Chaos was alright, but the zones were short as fuck and way too easy. Introduced that ball-form after jumping and super peel out being back. The rocket shoes was great
Triple Trouble was insane for a portable Sonic. It aged alright, still a fun game
>>4200827
I remember that in Toys. I remember how i took the damn card, but then the game wasn't in store, i still remember that.
>>
Sonic 2 SMS is actually my favorite game in the series. I do love S3&K, but there's something about Sonic 2 SMS and its level design that resonates with me.

And a tier list just for fun:
Sonic 2 SMS/GG > 3D Blast > S3&K > Sonic 2 GEN/MD > Spinball > Sonic Chaos > Sonic CD > Sonic 1 GEN/MD > Triple Trouble > Knuckles Chaotix > Sonic Blast > Sonic 1 SMS/GG

Aside from spinoffs, did I leave anything out? Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play the Adventure series. Heroes and Generations were both nice, and I may pick up Unleashed for PS2 at some point.

>>4201724
>Finding emeralds in the zones could be annoying.
Only the one in Sonic 2's Sky High Zone was somewhat annoying, but it can be grabbed simply by using the springboards rather than para-gliding to its location.

>Sonic 2 was harder, had that bubble area in the labyrinth zone
The entire act 2 area can be bypassed by walking through a secret passage in the wall just above the location of the Chaos Emerald. It goes straight to the goal. There are a few other shortcuts like this in other parts of the game. Gimmick Mt. and Scrambled Egg are sort of long-ish, but even those can be cakewalk if you memorize the routes well enough. Emerald Hill Act 3 does give me trouble to this day though.
>>
>>4201781
That's some weird tier. More when i see 8bits Blast in front of Sonic 1.
You forgot about Pocket Adventure

>and I may pick up Unleashed for PS2 at some point.
Most day stages are time attack with no enemies in sight.

>in Sonic 2's Sky High Zone was somewhat annoying, but it can be grabbed simply by using the springboards rather than para-gliding to its location

Was talking what others generally think about these games.
Still, Sky Base emerald in the gg version is a jump gamble. I already knew there was a platforming there because i played MS version first, but in the gg you cannot see it

>labyrinth
Yeah, i know about the shortcut, but i don't remember if you can get back after gettng the emerald in that little tube maze.

But yeah, when you memorize things are easier, but some first timers will hate things of those 8-bit era Sonic, especially if they think of those as a 16-bit Sonic.
>>
>>4201841

You can backtrack through the Aqua Lake Act 2 tube after you collect the emerald. Just hold up when you re-enter the pipe.
>>
I loved Sonic for Game Gear. Being a poorfag, I could only afford those games at the time, so I grew up with them.
>>
>Why does nobody like 8-bit Sonic?
Lots of people do. They're good games.
>>4188672
>must of
Fucking halfwit.
>>
>>4185717
8-bit Sonic games are generally forgettable.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.