[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CDs / Records / VHS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: Obsolete_CDs.jpg (616KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Obsolete_CDs.jpg
616KB, 1024x768px
How come games sell for so much more than other vintage media?
>>
File: uybd.jpg (106KB, 916x385px) Image search: [Google]
uybd.jpg
106KB, 916x385px
Depends on a lot of things.
But recently there's been an increment in demand of older formats like VHS and DVD. It's not as big as retrogaming, but collecting older editions of movies or series on older formats (to watch as directors intended in glorious 4:3 crt) might become bigger in the next following years.
>>
>almost everything is on spotify
>cd jewel cases dont come with nifty manuals
>>
>>4185707
Sometimes they come with posters and cool artwork
>>
>>4185701
Aside from television programs, no director ever intended their works to be viewed on a small TV set with noisy picture. Films are made to bee seen in theaters and that's why the demand for VHS isn't there outside of nostalgiafags, because a higher-fidelity release will always be closer to the experience of seeing an actual reel of film.
>>
>>4185719
the "director intended" bit was tongue-in-cheek, but yeah there is a small, growing demand of VHSs. I know because I've been collecting for years, and lately I've noticed more people are getting into it, same with DVDs.
Also, other than TV series, there's direct-to-TV movies and OVAs.
>>
There's also the issue of scarcity with some movies having only or ever been released on VHS, or earlier print runs from the days when tapes were so expensive literally everyone rented.
>>
>>4185701
>to watch as directors intended in glorious 4:3 crt)

I can only think of that one Robocop Laserdisc.
>>
>>4185695
I don't know genius, how come a cd was like $10 and a psx game was $60. They're both jusr cds! Duurrr hhuuuuurrrrr
>>
>>4185725
That is so weird. Maybe someday someone will want my closet full of vhs tapes. Not me, I fucking hate it.
>>
Lots of vintage vinyl sells for prices that could put all but the rarest and most expensive video games to shame.
>>
I collect anime dvds and some out of print stuff from early 2000s sells for quite a bit now.
>>
Games were much more expensive to begin with
>>
There are some vhs tapes that are some what expensive. Usually they are some silly amateurish films made in my country or they are "cult classics" as they say in their sell lines.
>>
Some anime laserdiscs are pretty expensive, especially compared to mainstream movies which I regularly find for less than a dollar.
>>
>>4185725
Yeah, I've heard of the old Disney Masterpiece series spiking in price due to nostalgia from faggy 90s kidz, didn't realize anyone really cared outside of that for VHS.
DVD and the well-known Laserdisc scene I get, those formats don't suffer from horrible degradation like tape .
>>
>>4185695
This is retro gaming?
>>
>>4185695
It depends. I've bought records (recent releases, not even vintage) that are only say five years old and already worth 3-4x the price I paid for them new.
>>
Laserdisc can be ridiculously expensive depending on the individual title.
>>
>>4185695
Because you're a kid who's into games and doesn't know about other stuf?
>>
>>4186397
LDs actually do suffer from discrot, which is awful and very common.
>>
>>4185695
Movies and music are easier to pirate than games for the average person who doesn't know about emulation, I guess?
>>
>>4188846
Can sealed unopened laserdiscs have disc rot too?
I'm thinking of getting some Miyazaki LDs on Ebay but it's not worth it if the video is fucked up.
>>
>>4190148
Depends won your definition of sealed.
>>
>>4190221
Are there different types of sealed for LDs?

Let's say the disc inside the cover is wrapped in a closed plastic bag that has never been opened.
Can it still have laser rot?

Of course sealed LD are more costly.
Is it possible to clearly see disc rot from ebay photos or do you need to hold it in your hand and reflect light on it from different angles to discover it?
>>
File: rare VHS prices.jpg (231KB, 1307x673px) Image search: [Google]
rare VHS prices.jpg
231KB, 1307x673px
Rare VHS movies are expensive for the same reason as rare games. Most of the really valuable games were dogshit titles or obscure shit released at the end of the consoles life cycle. Some of the really valuable games were never even released so only a few rare copies exist.
>>
>>4185695
because people are willing to spend more on them
not op btw
>>
>>4185719
>Aside from television programs, no director ever intended their works to be viewed on a small TV set with noisy picture.
What about matted widescreen movies?
>>
Some of those old vhs tapes and laser disk sell for bank epsiecially old disney
>>
>>4188846
because majority of LDs were poorly manufactured.
>>
>>4190251
Dude, unless you live in a shithole and storage in a shithole, its not gonna have such shitbore
>>
File: 1992 - Live Demo 01.jpg (189KB, 638x638px) Image search: [Google]
1992 - Live Demo 01.jpg
189KB, 638x638px
Not to mention cassette tapes, especially demo tapes that were never remastered or re-released.
>>
>>4190251
Of course there are different types of "sealed". In the context you're using it it's nothing more than a marketing buzzword that has no empirical meaning. A closed plastic bag inside the cover is in no meaningful way sealed. Even if it was that doesn't mean it's vacuum sealed. It could be sealed with moisture. Technically it could be sealed with dead rats rotting in acid and still be sealed.

"ebay photos" is also not a meaningful ter. I've seen shit with nothing but blurry thumbnails. You can't tell fuck all from that. I've seen others with multiple high resolution pics. Also, it is impossible to see any part of the actual disc if it's sealed and never been opened. lol.
>>
>>4190251
Laserdiscs can suffer from settling and physical distortion of the tracks over time, even if they aren't exposed to air or moisture at all, especially if they are stores on their side or in flat stacks with too much weight on top.
>>
>>4190642
Youre being a pedantic autist right now. "sealed" is a very well assumed thing that is common vernacular when it comes to dealing with physical media. No one else but you is imaging such wild scenarios when reading the term "sealed". It means still in the original shrink wrap and unopened. Stop being a fucking sperg
>>
>>4191719
A lot of laserdiscs I buy are sealed in plastic wrap that is obviously not the original packaging. So "sealed" does mean different things in this context. Originally sealed vs resealed I guess.
>>
>>4190148
Yeah, they can. LDs are basically two discs glued together, and if any air gets in between them, it causes discrot. Since they're just glued together, air getting in between is an inevitability for 90% of discs. That said, discrot can range from minor annoyances (not so different from minor VHS distortion) to completely unwatchable. A few of my discs (they're probably worse now), had some bad spots but it wasn't a big deal at the time. If you're digitizing them it's livable since you can capture it before it gets worse, if you're getting a great deal anyway. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for pretty much any LD at this point. They are a lot of fun though, and have great audio.
>>
File: LD VS VHS.png (890KB, 1293x480px)
LD VS VHS.png
890KB, 1293x480px
>>
>>4191719
Unfortunately for you people selling stuff aren't bound by your personal definitions. Ebay isn't either. So if you ever get serious about buying something there's a good chance you'll get screwed at some point and cry because b-b-but muh definition of sealed.
>>
>>4185740
apparently Kamen Rider employed some trick to make itself 60 fps on crts
>>
The only way to play many old games if you aren't going to emulate for whatever stupid reason is to actually have the cart/disc, whereas with movies some better pay or not explicitly piracy way to get that content usually exists, like streaming or a modern re-release.
There are these cases like a Urusei Yatsura movie or some weird Italian horror film where a legal/quasi-legal option might be harder to find or not even exist, so there you'll see some collectability.

You also have cases like the Disney black label tapes or whatever those were, where for some otherwise common media becomes desirable to pure collectors who probably have multiple copies and/or have goals beyond just seeing the movie. In that specific case though I think it turned out to be mostly bullshit/speculation and people weren't actually getting the huge prices what were listed. Laserdisc is a good example of something that's sought after because it's it's cool antique electronics and not because people are interested in the content alone.

I personally doubt we'll see the market for collectible VHS tapes take off except for rare and special things that aren't widely available elsewhere, since it's like the atari 2600, most people who grew up with vhs tapes remember them being shit and aren't especially nostalgic for them, myself pretty much included.
>>
>>4194786
>Laserdisc is a good example of something that's sought after because it's it's cool antique electronics and not because people are interested in the content alone.
That's definitely true, but since I started acquiring laserdiscs for exactly that reason I have noticed that I am much more inclined to actually engage with the content than I would be if it were all digital. With streaming etc. today there is such a glut of choices that nothing really stands out except the best of the best. With laserdiscs I get to check out cool 90s movies I'd never watch otherwise.

It's like how collecting records makes the music a little more special than just listening to it on Spotify. Some people say records sound better but that's not the point. Just the physical aspect itself lends some intrigue.
>>
File: hair 1.jpg (28KB, 432x317px)
hair 1.jpg
28KB, 432x317px
>>4191849
Uh oh...
>>
>>4191849
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g92Zma7dBsg
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.