[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ equivalent of starting with the greeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (6KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 225x224px
Is there a graph, chart, wiki or whatever that has complete history of game and how you start from the absolute fundamentals and go from there going up the gens.
>>
there is no true way.
>>
Is this like the "Do I show my kids the original Star Wars trilogy or the Prequels first" question?
>>
>>4185575
No, read it again, I want to experience the medium to its fullest.
>>
Yeah, it's called calendar. You go from oldest to newest.
>>
>>4185579
Can you share a link of the said calendar?
>>
>>4185568
this may help. maybe.
>http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
>>
There are autists who've made spreadsheets that allow you to sort the libraries of most systems by release date if you do a little googling. I would just check the top 100 threads for each console on gamefaqs desu, anon.
>>
Look up influential/iconic games, don't worry too much about how many are on each platform. Emulate everything you can.
>>
Obviously you should start with the Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device, unless you're a fucking scrub.
>>
File: spacewar-1.jpg (22KB, 800x538px) Image search: [Google]
spacewar-1.jpg
22KB, 800x538px
starting with the greeks? is this a fixed expression?

why not start with Sumerian cuneiform?
>>
>>4185568
Why would you want to do this? Do you want to learn fundamentals of game design? It's not really something that you can do by just going through games chronologically.

Just play games that interest you and be conscious about how they work and what you're doing as they're happening. Think of things in the game in terms of "if-then", consider the flow of time as you play, etc.
>>
Probably want to start with the NES. Since the third gen was when video games as we understand them today had really started to take form. Previous to that, the mechanical existence of games in which we interact with something on screen had been around, but it was so unsophisticated that it's arguable how much of it "influenced" what came later.

The third gen was the start of when games started to include everything we expect from modern games. Things like a narrative (or at least setting), varied mechanics, and aesthetics.

Then it's just a matter of going from there. Many games on the NES, for example, were basically unfulfilled visions of games that would be made on the SNES, that clearly were the full realization of the original. LttP is the original LoZ, except more. Super Metroid is Metroid, but more. Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros 3, but more. You can find many such games that are like this.

So it's just a matter of going from there. The iconic games are iconic for a reason. Playing them tends to make it obvious where later games pulled their ideas from.
>>
>>4186000
That's skippable but my advice to OP would be to start with the mainframe games of the early 70s after possibly taking Space War for a short spin. The PLATO platform managed to preserve a fair number of games (games were unauthorized use of storage and would regularly be deleted by universities). The cyber1 community allows you to experience the platform in a fairly authentic (multiplayer) way. Ralph Baer was brilliant in making video games commercial but console games were a pretty big step backwards and "starting with pong" is an easy fallacy to fall for.
>>
>>4186059
Maybe if you only consider console video games but there's a rich history of computer and arcade games that predate the NES
>>
>>4186059
Shut up. I'd call myself a nintendofag but this is ridiculous. Three whole years before the famicom's release we were seeing Richard Garriott and other college students working on the first CRPGs. Arcades were already a big thing.
>>
File: 1493542738321.jpg (362KB, 716x993px) Image search: [Google]
1493542738321.jpg
362KB, 716x993px
>>4185568
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eIjT6-K8E
> The earliest known computer games actually implemented were two custom built machines called Bertie the Brain and Nimrod, which played tic-tac-toe and the game of Nim, respectively.
>>
>>4185568
The Iliad
no wait
Plato
>>
>>4185568
>1
find a CRT, any will do right now, Atari 2600, and a few games. Preferably one with at least composite input for future systems
>2
Read through this. Emulate the games you don't have, and skip the homebrews. http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Atari_2600
Adventure is fun, the arcade ports to it are usually fun. Go nuts.
>3
move onto the NES (or Master System if you're a contrarian) and do the same.
>>
>>4185568
Nah man, just play whatever you like.
>>
This has to be one of the dumbest OPs on /vr/ I have seen in a long time. This is not how you find out about and play games, you discover games by liking some games and suddenly others open up to you. You don't have a list in chronological order, this is a silly idea.
>>
It really depends on what you want.

You can in theory skip like, the arcade classics, or just fire through the major ones (pong, pacman, asteroids, donkey kong, etc) and jump into more robust stuff like SMB or Final Fantasy.
>>
>>4185568
Are you talking just video games or games as a whole? Very different.
>>
>>4185568
It'd probably be a good idea to focus on genres and how they evolve rather than trying to just play everything that's ever been made in order...you'll get a better idea of evolutions that way.

Like Wolfenstein 3d - Doom - Duke 3D - System Shock - Quake - Half-Life - Unreal Tournament - Goldeneye - Deus Ex, something like that, though there are going to be branching paths even in each genre.
>>
>>4186592
Much as I love Goldeneye, I don't think it's more advanced than Unreal Tournament which came out two years later and could make extensive use of cutting edge graphics cards.
>>
>>4186592
>Not starting with Battle Zone
>>
>>4186517
What is the difference
>>
>>4186607
It's more about it being the first good attempt at a console FPS.

>>4186759
Yeah, I forgot what it was called and didn't feel like googling it, though.
>>
This is how I've been tackling my backlog. Sort of. I have it separated by company (ordered roughly by when they entered the industry), separated within by franchise (ordered by date of first game and of course with single entry series either given their own "franchise" section or grouped with some other spiritually similar games), separated by console generation (using rough dates for non-console games) and then I just go down the list doing the whatever gen I'm on for all companies > franchises.
Still very much a work in progress, but it's been helping me actually finish games.
>>
>>4186138
>The Iliad
>no wait
>Plato
>not the presocrates
>>
>>4185568
Starting with the Greeks requires you to ignore thousands of years of earlier material in many very different styles and from many very different sources in favor of one narrow set that most popular work today is derivative of. There is no /vr/ equivalent of this because the equivalent would be starting with the CODs
>>
So, who's got an invite to that /vr/ discord server?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.