[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Console ports of Doom and Duke 3D?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

>It's the 1990s
>Your PC just crashed
>Oh no, what will you do this weekend?
>You want to play Duke Nukem 3D and Doom
>Which console do you buy them for and what versions?
>>
>>4185490
the Mega Drive version for Duke
>>
>>4185490

Playstation was the first version of Doom to be actually playable. The frame rate still takes a drop to the single digits in heavy areas though.
>>
Duke 64 would have been great if the game actually had some fucking in-game music.

Its version of the title screen is awesome though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjbaebcOQU
>>
>>4185490
Duke 64 and Doom PSX (Doom 64 isn't a port).
>>
Saturn port of Duke, and Quake for good measure. Not the original engines, but they run smoothly and have some interesting additions.
>>
saturn ones
>>
>>4185490
Game.com for Duke
>>
How are the PS1 ports of Duke? I've always had the N64 version and loved it.
>>
>>4185501
The good part of Duke 64 was being able to play co-op. I had the game on PC, and friend and I would take turns, so when the N64 version came out and was co-op we were pretty fucking happy.
Same thing for StarCraft 64, was cool to be able to play with a friend instead of taking turns on the pc. Only down side was no awesome UMS maps. A game like Golems would've fucking crashed the N64 lol
>>
Doom SNES or PSX, SNES was obviously rough but it's a damn marvel that it works
Duke 64
Quake N64
Wolfenstein SNES
Hexen N64

desu those are the definitive console versions as far as I'm concerned.
>>
File: Zombiepiggathering.gif (38KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
Zombiepiggathering.gif
38KB, 320x213px
PS1 Duke would have been the best if it wasn't for its framerate since it's the most faithful to the PC version and has a cool exclusive episode. But as it is, it comes down to either Saturn or N64.
>>
>>4185643
SNES Doom is the worst version. Totally unplayable. SNES Wolfenstein is the same with even worse censorship.
>>
>>4185643
>>4185706
There's a homebrew port of Wolf3D for Genesis and it runs pretty damn well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2wBHfVYf8U

Certainly better than the official SNES version...
>>
Doom 64 is probably the best, but it's more Doom 2 1/2 than a Doom port.

Doom on the PlayStation, custom edition is great. Also, Duke Nukem 64 is a gem as well, despite censorship.
>>
Saturn Quake and Duke 3D are great ports.
Doom for PSX also.
>>
>>4185731
i always liked the N64 version of duke 3D because of the weapons, the rescue mechanic & the city levels felt like they had more details
>>
>>4185490
i never played it
>>
>>4185490
A head crash wouldn't stop me. As long as you have a DOS boot floppy with MSCDEX and the appropriate SET BLASTER variable set, as well as a CD release of Doom, you can theoretically play it without a hard drive. You wouldn't be able to save your game, but that's what cheats are for.
>>
>>4185721
That music doesn't sound right at all, it was much better on the SNES.
>>
>>4185497
Atari Jaguar version is fine. Just no music
>>
File: ME0000805832_2.jpg (556KB, 800x556px) Image search: [Google]
ME0000805832_2.jpg
556KB, 800x556px
Never cared much for the Duke Nukem 3D ports. But the exclusive Duke titles were excellent. Pic related, as well as Time to Kill for PSX were damn good games. Land of the Babes was meh, though.
>>
>>4185490
64 port was pretty legit
like yeah it was censored but it made saving the babes a thing
>>
File: DNZH_Box.jpg (69KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
DNZH_Box.jpg
69KB, 640x468px
How about instead
Duken Nukem Zero Hour, the true forever

PS1 Doom

Duke 64 needs music, I cant play it without it. When will someone make a proper source port? Ya got the source code.
>>
File: HMM.gif (459KB, 472x357px) Image search: [Google]
HMM.gif
459KB, 472x357px
It isn't a port but fuck it, I still want to put Doom 64 on a pedestal for a moment. Simply put, it's Doom 3 but done right. Classic Doom gameplay, spooky as fuck environments, cool weapons, and a drop dead amazing soundtrack despite it being ambient for a lot of the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udjDdj4bcE0
>>
The best console port of Doom is the Atari Jaguar version.
>>
>>4188334
stop
>>
Don't like music in your Doom?
Jaguar

You want a serious looking Doom?
PlayStation

Only like Doom for the music?
3DO
>>
File: 8788655443234.jpg (37KB, 1024x1044px) Image search: [Google]
8788655443234.jpg
37KB, 1024x1044px
>>4188323
Aubrey Hodges is amazing. The Madness (Staging Area) and The Rotted Foul (Breakdown) are my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz6mFzpcmHQ
>>
File: Duke Nukem 3D (Brazil)000.png (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem 3D (Brazil)000.png
22KB, 320x240px
>>4185494
>Duke Nukem 3D
>Sega Genesis
>>
>>4187785
I think it's fine considering the entire port is being done by literally one guy.
>>
>>4185652
from what I understand the PSX port didn't utilize the 3d capabilities at all, and just forced it's poor CPU to do software rendering just like in IBM PC version. it's a miracle it works at all.
>>
>>4189527
>the PSX port didn't utilize the 3d capabilities
What 3D capabilities? The PSX didn't have any 3D capabilities.
>>
>>4188065
>>4188263

I consider zero hour to be the best duke nukem game. I can't understand why not many people talk or remember about this game. Maybe because it's an N64 exclusive so not many people played it.
>>
>>4190647
Second best for me, after 3D of course. ZH was just great. Great settings, guns, and Duke himself was great as always. It felt like a more refined Time to Kill without the horrid controls and unnecessary Tomb Raider feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAL018B75s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B9tM3UOU_8
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.