[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Super Mario World level

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: Levelawsomest3-1-.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Levelawsomest3-1-.png
5KB, 256x224px
Choose your pick. In my opinion Awesome from Special world is the most awesome. It had a great flow, and it's great to dance through that level.

Second place is Funky. So much content in one level.

Third place goes to Vanilla Dome 3. Love that lava ride and Blarggs.
>>
File: SMW-DP1-4.png (8KB, 640x216px) Image search: [Google]
SMW-DP1-4.png
8KB, 640x216px
Great pick OP, I think I'd also choose Awesome, it's probably the best Mario bridge level, the flow is great.
But I think Donut Plains 1 is my actual favorite. It's always fun to play this level no matter what, the combination of flying cape koopas and ball throwing chucks can lead to pretty intense moments, too. And it has sky secrets, a keyhole, and a bonus freeroam flying zone. I feel it's the most full level.
>>
Ok, let's give this thread another try.

What's your favourite 2D Mario level from the vr era?

Including Yoshi's Island and the likes of 6 golden coins.

I love Hit That Switch for example, a great YI map.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
Aesthetically, Ghost Ship. Such a unique level that perfectly sets up the change in scenery for the final area of the game.

Gameplaywise, Chocolate Island 1(?). The multiple exit element opens up for replay in an already underepresented and short area.
>>
File: foif.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
foif.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
forest of illusion fortress
because you can fly over the lava to the right for secret shit
(you spin fly, unlike idiot in pic related)
>>
>>4185272
tubular
>>
>>4187308
I hated it
>>
>>4185272
I always enjoyed that level of the Forest where you ride leaves at high speed.
>>
>>4187410
It's much easier than many sissies think.
>>
>>4185272
Cookie Mountain. As a kid I thought the ground in Donut Plains was made of donuts, Vanilla dome was somehow vanilla flavor even though it was mostly grey rock, Chocolate Island has darker dirt so I thought it was like brownie, then you have cheese bridge and butter bridge. But you can't beat Cookie Mountain. I love how there are a million moles, what I assume to be cookie moles, who just live inside cookie mountain and spend their whole lives digging through a giant cookie and eating it. I wanna be those moles. Plus I love that little crumbs fly everywhere when they jump out of the ground. Also I love playing the level with Yoshi so I can eat all the moles.
>>
File: yoshi frog.jpg (15KB, 292x173px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi frog.jpg
15KB, 292x173px
>>4185937
Welcome to Monkey World from Yoshi's Island is my favorite level from that game. It introduces the monkey enemies and all the different gameplay mechanics they sort of introduce: other things can spit seeds at you, some try to steal Baby Mario and you need to be able to spot them right away based on their behavior, some throw down cactuses, some throw down bombs, some swing in a chain and try to grab Baby Mario, etc. But the real reason I like it is the frogs. Not the frog enemies, but these little, tiny frogs they programmed into the game that basically just hop away from you. They appear in a muddy area next to the water where there are a bunch of posts that create little corrals. The frogs get trapped in them and if you stomp them all down, you can sheppard all the little frogs to the waters edge together. It doesnt give you any sort of reward but it just feels good. Because isn't that something Yoshi would do? Yoshi's a compassionate creature. He risks his life to save babies. If he saw a little green thing with a long tongue like him, which was stuck in a confined area, he'd stop and help them. Just everyone go play this level and do what Im talking about. You'll get it.
>>
>>4185279
I feel like Donut Plains 2 is the most Super Mario Bros 3-esque level in the game.
>>
>>4187603
Forest Secret Area
Yeah that one is fun, and the background moving at high speed can make you dizzy.
>>
>>4187658
Well Mario World IS an easy game. OP can we post romhack levels or does that go against the retro thingie?
>>
>>4188501
>can we post romhack levels or does that go against the retro thingie?

Nah, that's alright.
>>
File: 1474770804296.png (44KB, 528x527px) Image search: [Google]
1474770804296.png
44KB, 528x527px
>>4188510
Too bad there's no way for me to post nice giant pictures of the entire level unlike the official games but I really like Marina World's take on Tubular. Level 9-3 is basically Tubular 2.0
>>
Larry's Castle
>>
>>4187784
wtf are you talking about, there are no cave autoscrollers w raising and lowering sections in all of mario 3
>>
>>4185272
The ice levels were the most A E S T H E T I C
>>
It's so bad that Nintendo never ever attempted to make a proper sequel to SMW. All those New Super abominations are sequels to SMB1 and SMB3 and not SMW with dinosaurs and such.

Heck, even Yoshi's Island got a sequel (even if it sucked), but SMW didn't.
>>
>>4185937
Okay

SMB: 4-3
Lost Levels: 2-2
SMB2: 2-1
SMB3: 4-6
SMW: Donut Plains 1
SML: 1-3
SML2: Second level of Haunted Area

I'll give you my least favorites, too:

SMB: 7-4
Lost Levels: 7-3
SMB2: 4-2
SMB3: Bowser's Air Force
SMW: Tubular
SML: 3-3
SML2: Second level in Space area
>>
>>4189269
Agreed, very disappointing they never made another SMW
>>
>>4189269
The original NSMB had some great levels. I'm not disagreeing with you though.
>>
File: 1502735654782-1589580356.jpg (401KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1502735654782-1589580356.jpg
401KB, 2560x1440px
>>4189269
>>4189452
Imma have to stop you there
What is Mario land 2 if not a sequel to mario world?
Also smw is a sequel itself
>>
File: Yoshi's_Safari_(USA)-2.png (130KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshi's_Safari_(USA)-2.png
130KB, 640x480px
The real sequel to SMW was Yoshi's Safari
>>
>>4190029
>What is Mario land 2 if not a sequel to mario world?
Mario land games control horribly. I can't play those.
>>
File: 200px-BluebabyyoshiNSMBU.png (39KB, 200x225px) Image search: [Google]
200px-BluebabyyoshiNSMBU.png
39KB, 200x225px
>>4189269

New Super Mario Bros U was basically a sequel to Super Mario World. Not quite the same level of exploration, but done in a similar vein. It even had the baby Yoshi's for World.
>>
>>4190032
A sequel is supposed to improve though, not just mindlessly take things from other games. NSMBU is a sequel to NSMB. NSMB is a sequel to SMB
>>
The spiritual successor is New Super Marisa Land. I hope one day a dedicated fan will redo it with Mario sprites.
>>
>>4190037

>A sequel is supposed to improve though

Ideally, but not all sequels are going to improve on the previous game's formula overall, that's just reality senpai. It did improve some things, like Baby Yoshi functionality for one, making them actually useful instead of being a glorified vacuum cleaner.

It's more like a spiritual successor to World.
>>
The only reasonably difficult level of SMW was Outrageous. That was one that actually matches random hack difficulty. Tubular is learnable, Outrageous isn't.
>>
>>4190046
>spiritual successor to Mario World
But it's not. It's a sequel to NSMB
>>
>>4190061

If you're looking for a game with the same name as world, you have one already. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by proper sequel though.
>>
>>4189269
YI DS was a good game, cocksmoker
>>
>>4190031
~t. Never Played SML2
>>
>>4190070
This. Framerate always seemed very sluggish at points though. My only real complaint with it.
>>
>>4190070
I have played it though. You're not really saying anything either way so I'm not sure why you even hae the audacity to post. Put some effort into your posts. Respect the people you're talking to
>>
>>4190098
How can I respect a fag who doesn't respect SML2?
Congratulations, you disrespected yourself with that inferior mongoloidal opinion.
>>
>>4190105
>you don't respect the games so I don't respect you
That's not how it works. I don't respect inanimate objects.
>>
>>4190108
Games are literally animated.
>>
My favorite level has to be vanilla secret 1
Second Favorite has to be Valley Ghost House
Third is Tubular

The worst level in this game is Mondo
Second Worst is Outrageous
>>
A personal favorite of mine is Soda Lake. Dodging the Torpedo Teds is fun. Do any romhacks have similar underwater levels?
>>
File: supertux.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
supertux.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>4190118
I keep wanting to learn some SquirrelScript so I can make some Super Tux 2 water levels, but then I keep realizing I'm the only one who thinks that game is on the same level as SMB3/W anyway
>>
>>4190248
Supertux is still an inferior clone to the likes of Giana sisters DS or New Super Marisa land.
>>
>>4190067
>If you're looking for a game with the same name as world, you have one already.
Only in America. In Japan it's just "Super Mario: Yossy Island." Meanwhile SMW in Japan is SMB4: SMW.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.