[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zelda II is an amazing game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Zelda 2 is damn good, and unfairly overlooked by many people today. Admittedly, it does have some flaws (mostly the graphics and poor translation/cryptic nature), but besides that it's a fantastic game and has some of the best 2D combat possible.

Zelda 2 has very fluid and responsive controls, which can allow the player to pull off very precise jumps, stabs, and slashes. The combat and controls are the best that could've be implemented in a 2D game like this. Compare the jumping and attacks from Zelda 2 with something like Castlevania, Double Dragon, or just about any 2D sidecroller with emphasis on combat. Almost all of the seem very, slow, clunky and limited in contrast to Zelda, even the ones released much later.

As for the enemies and dungeons, I find them very, very good as well. The game has many types of enemies that attack/must be fought in separate ways, and when added to the unique level designs found in different dungeons/encounters this makes the game constantly entertaining and engaging. The controls are perfect, practice for a bit if you don't get it straight away.

The game also expanded on towns, sidequests, magic, items, and added a whole lot of what can be considered today as "the zelda formula".
>>
Thank you for the update that the good game was good.
>>
>>4184652
I agree.

If you invest time with this game it is a truly rewarding experience.
>>
>>4184652
Yeah, it's a game that still plays well considering the era it got released and its influences on later Zeldas (especially 3D ones) is remarkable.

However, I disagree that the controls are perfect. Especially later on in the game there are several areas like in Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden where you get knocked back by an enemy and fall in a pit because of that. That can be very annoying. There's also a lot less to collect and use if we're talking about items but it's not like the first Zelda had that many items to begin with and it wasn't till later games like LttP, LA and OoT that the items served a bigger purpose in both dungeon design and during combat.

I think a lot of people complain about this game because of what's NOT in it considering it's a Zelda game but when you take a look at the game itself and give it a chance then it can be a worthwhile experience.
>>
>>4184652
Yep. My 3 favorite games in the series are basically the first 3 because they all did something different with the series. 1 being plain open adventure, 2 being a bit Castlevania, and 3 being a bit more action RPG.

Not that later ones are bad, but the first few just stand out so well in the their times.
>>
>>4184652
TIL a game that sold super well and was good is good.

Thanks OP, don't know what I'd do without you.
>>
I hated it when I was a kid because I couldnt figure out what to do, then one day I decided to sit down and give it a chance and by the time I had completed the first temple I was already hooked.
>>
I've come to love ARPGs the most of any genre. Zelda 2 was the first game I ever tried to play with XPs and I didn't understand grinding but then by the time I got Faxanadu I did. Represents a real step in my childhood development.
>>
I played both 1 and 2 as a child and 2 imprinted so much more strongly
The music and atmosphere was 10x what zelda 1 was
>>
>>4184968
The flying heads are very easy to dodge. They will always hit where you were standing when they spawned.

And you can use fairy to skip almost all of them. There's just the one in the last castle where they stop you.
>>
>>4185539
This. I always shake my head when someone uses something that is clearly an intentional mechanic like knockback into pit as an example of "bad controls" etc.
>>
>>4185471
yeah the zelda 2 dungeon theme is the best in the series imo. best overworld music goes to link to the past darkworld theme though
>>
>>4184652
>Zelda 2 is damn good, and unfairly overlooked by many people today
I don't know what you're whining about, anon. The "ZELDA 2 SUCKS" meme has been dead and buried for awhile now.
>>
Played it for the first time about a year ago and it's become one of my top 3 for the series. Absolutely wonderful game.

I can see why some people consider it too difficult but for me the difficulty curve was perfect. Final temple was such an ordeal but was so rewarding to beat.

Also one of the best osts on the NES.
>>
>>4184652
i actually like zelda 2 more but I might be biased. I grew up owning zelda 2 as a kid. I have a half brother who would visit on the weekends and he had zelda 1. So some times he'd bring that over but I mostly grew up with 2. Actually having a half brother who had and entirely different set of unrelated brothers was pretty cool. I actually stayed over his moms house a few times and his other brothers were pretty cool. I remember talking to his brother over the phone and exchanging tips with him in OoT. Good times. Nice blog post.
>>
>>4185874
I believe it is not biased, it is actually a really good game. I've never owned NES or ever played Zelda 2 yet I beat it like half a year ago and it felt amazing. It is actually the only Zelda game I had any sort of intention to beat. Every other game in the series (except Zelda 1 since I haven't played in it yet) didn't do it to me and I dropped them somewhere in the middle.
>>
File: 1496337689623.jpg (52KB, 399x464px) Image search: [Google]
1496337689623.jpg
52KB, 399x464px
>>4184652
Ah yes. The game that I will never complete
>>
>>4186509
Complete it.
>>
>>4184652
I cannot debate anything you posted.
Especially the controls. Looking back now, you're right. They're as good as it gets in 2D. SotN-tier controls in the mid-80s is a feat of God.
>>
Things in Zelda 2 that need fixing/improving:
-The graphics
-The text/translation/town sidequest stuff

I'm 100% confident that a remake of this game would make it stop being the black sheep of the series. I know for a fact that people only overlook it because it's ugly/indistinct and confusing. The gameplay is amazing. The combat is amazing. The controls are amazing. I honestly think it's far better and more interesting than Zelda 1 and 3.
>>
>Zelda II is good
Yeah we already knew that
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.