[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we please talk about this masterpiece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: Screenshot_20170811-171912_1.jpg (91KB, 931x654px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170811-171912_1.jpg
91KB, 931x654px
Can we please talk about this masterpiece?
>>
>>4183947
It's glorious but too hard desu
>>
>>4183947
>Masterpiece
>>
is this the game where the devs literally admit to spending so much time at work that their wives cucked them in the credits
>>
>>4183947
I always assumed this was a shit game because my local newspaper gave away free copies if you responded to the comic questions.

For like four or five years.
>>
>>4184464
Sounds less like the game being shit and more like your town being shit.
>>
>>4183958
>It's glorious but too long desu

Fixed
>>
>>4184607
Bullshit complaint.
Game is full of warps and alternative routes.
Also, pretty nice it having a shitton of levels since there were a lot of people complaining about how MD games are short.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>4184617
The bridges are obscure as fuck to find. You have to get lucky just jumping around.

It does have some fucking amazing shortcuts. If this thread is still up tomorrow I'll make a webm.
>>
File: commander-keen-is-T-800.jpg (20KB, 263x321px) Image search: [Google]
commander-keen-is-T-800.jpg
20KB, 263x321px
>>4183958
>>
I assume the game is almost impossible as theirs over 100 levels and you can't save progress.
What normal person is going to sit there and play through the whole game in one sitting.
Unless you leave your poor Genesis running all night to continue the next day.
>>
>>4184698
I'm afraid nobody has ever beaten it to this day. It's just too damn long.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA-6uFu-Mfw
Phew, long game.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (2MB, 1103x855px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
2MB, 1103x855px
really makes you think
>>
>>4184698
I think it took me an hour and a half to beat it.
>>
>>4184607
Yes. It was pretty much the same thing, especially back then with no gamefaqs, no saves, and no way your parents would just let you pause and let your Mega Drive run all night when you had to quit.

Just the possibility of saving would have made this game so wonderful.
>>
I got to something like level 3 and I was completely stuck for about 15 minutes because I didn't know how to ascend to the higher part of the level. Then I realised that if I went close to a wall and pressed the special button i could climb the wall using the ability I had

Then I thought, ok, this game is a legitimately hard. I wonder how big it is?

Over 100 levels, each one could potentially make me stuck for 10+ minutes due to constantly changing gameplay mechanics. On top of that dozens of secret levels that I would be unlikely to find without a guide.

At that point I realised that this game is serious business.
>>
The game was really made to be played over and over again. I'm glad I owned it as a kid and had the chance to really dig through most of the game's multiple paths.
Running through the game once with save states is objectively wrong. You're missing too much.

Finally beating the game on hardware is probably my greatest gaming achievement.
>>
>>4184698
There are skips fucking everywhere and the game throws tons of lives at you.
>>
>>4184698
My mom kept the NES on for like two months so she could beat SMB2 every day after work in like 1989 or whenever that came out.
>>
>>4184807
It is also possible to complete Super Mario World in one sitting, but don't you think that would have been a major flaw to sell it without a battery to save your progress? It would have ruined the game.
>>
File: kidchameleon_warps.png (50KB, 505x1891px) Image search: [Google]
kidchameleon_warps.png
50KB, 505x1891px
>>4184636
This one is good

>>4184698
One afternoon (if you are not bad at the game) is enough. Also there are many ways to play through.
>>
>>4184835
Remove the map screen, cutscenes, make the level transitions short and then maybe it would be comparable to KC.

Hell, Mario 3 didn't have saves but look at how well it did.
>>
File: shortcut1.webm (1MB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
shortcut1.webm
1MB, 640x448px
The level designers have a sense of humor.
The level at the end of this webm is normally one of the longest in the game. It's filled with long sections of butt-crushing blocks and climbing up walls. Unless you can somehow bring this powerup into the level.
>>
File: shortcut2.webm (1MB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
shortcut2.webm
1MB, 640x448px
>>
>>4184802
>I got to something like level 3 and I was completely stuck for about 15 minutes because I didn't know how to ascend to the higher part of the level
lol that happened to me, and I haven't played it since. I should give it a go sometime soon, I honestly forgot the game even existed.
>>
I only ever played this game at someone else's house because we didn't have a Genesis. My older brother and I quickly recognized how cool it was, how fun the entire concept behind it was, etc.

It always retained a kind of mystique because we only got to play it once or twice and almost nobody else we knew had it. It belonged to a much older kid who was the son of our parents' friends. We never beat it, we never even had an idea of how huge the game was or all the different paths and stuff.
>>
>>4185487
Mario 3 had warp flutes though. Same with SMB1 and SMB2/DDP (which have warp pipes). I don't think KC has something comparable to that.
>>
>>4185614
good god i love this game
>>
>>4183947
Its decent
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.