[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the essential retro games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: doomtris.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
doomtris.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
If /vr/ were to draw up a list of say the half a dozen - a dozen most essential retro games that everybody should play at least once what would be on the list..

I'm making the assumption say

>Doom
>Tetris
>Super Mario Bros

would certainly be on the list, but would games such as space invaders, pong, pacman be super relevant today or would more modern titles that have a bigger influence that is still felt today such as street figter 2 turbo, zelda, tomb raider, grand theft auto be more important..

I guess what im trying to say is... what are gamings certifiable classics, gamings shawshank redeption, the godfather as opposed to the analogous a trip to the moon or birth of a nation.
>>
>>4183361
>games that everybody should play at least once
none, you play what looks interesting to you regardless of its status
>>
>>4183384

Im dont disagree, but what im saying is there must be a general consensus of what the ten or so you must play this shit games are.

The same mentality exists in other forms of media, you generally find certain films frequently on top tens, sure taste is subjective, but if you polled a hundred gamers what titles are going to pop up the most frequently.

There are plently of games i fucking love such as dungeon master, the secret of monkey island etc, but i doubt the regular joe on the street would find them too enthralling.

Tetris though, every fucker knows tetris. Super mario bros, practically everybody know that..

What else?
>>
Pokeman

MMMMOOOOORRTTAAAAAALLLL KOMBAAAAAAAT
>>
Ive been gaming since the 80s and ive never even played, a zelda, a metroid, a 3d mario, a warcraft, chrono trigger, maniac mansion many other 'classics' should i evaluate my life.
>>
So many games, including retro games, are so much more meaningful in context that it's almost pointless to try to make such a small, self-contained list. Even if they are good in their own right, I can hardly think of a game that is "essential" without also showing why, something you can only do through examining so many other games that make it so.

Tetris, Mario, Doom, they mean fuck all by themselves. They're just good games, but there are thousands of good games out there.
>>
>>4183419
/vg/ taught me that if you haven't played my favorite games I should call you underage.
>>
>>4183483
This.

If we remove their contextual impact then they are simply good games, albeit with a nearly universal appeal.

If we take popularity/appeal into the equation though, you can just look up a best selling list. Without that or context, all you end up with is a list of personal favorites.
>>
Highly Responsive to Prayers
Popeye
Nights Indo Dreams
>>
>>4183361
>Doom
>Tetris
>Super Mario Bros
>Super Mario Bros 3
>Super Mario World
>Pac-Man
>Space Invaders
>Street Fighter II

These are like the bare minimum to even understand the basic history of gaming.

The original Zelda could maybe be on there as well.
>>
>>4183749
Fuck, I forgot Super Mario 64.
>>
Donkey Kong
>>
>>4183361
>but would games such as space invaders, pong, pacman be super relevant today
if anything I think golden age arcade games have "aged better" than a lot of relatively newer stuff, in the sense that there isn't really anything that's almost exactly like them but better. a modern pac-man clone doesn't benefit much from better graphics, the control scheme can't really be improved, etc. having said that you're not missing some life changing experience if you don't play it, but that's the same as any other game. incidentally a lot of the newer official pac man games are quite nice, they don't make the old ones obsolete though.

in conclusion no there is no short list of games that you are obligated to play, they're supposed to be for fun
>>
Super Metroid
>>
The Adventures of Bayou Billy
Primal Rage
Mighty Max
>>
>>4183361
Maybe a top 10 per generation or console...but top 10 of ALL retro games? There are too many good ones that should be played and others should be played for historical value at least, even if they don't hold up to experience the history of games firsthand.
>>
>>4183361
Take the top selling game for each console/platform of each generation.
There's your list.
>>
Doom
Deus Ex
Castlevania
Super Mario Bros. 3
Link's Awakening
Mario 64
Metal Gear Solid
FF7
Resident Evil
Shenmue
Illbleed
F355 Challenge (triple monitor arcade version)
>>
>>4183361
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Video_Game_Hall_of_Fame
>>
>>4184462
And I'm basing this list on games that have had significant impact on gaming or are just plain memorable.
>>
>>4183860
>>4184291
/thread
>>
>>4184462
>F355 Challenge (triple monitor arcade version)
Outrun 2, Sega Rally, and Scud Race are better desu.
>>
>>4184809
They're better games, but F355 is the better experience.
>>
>>4183749
Where is your Pitfall! if you want to understand the basic history of gaming? How about Ultima or Wizardry?
>>
there are some classics but at the end of the day they're just toys, not art, so there's no need for "video game culture"
>>
File: get-a-load-of-this-guy-13863282.png (165KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
get-a-load-of-this-guy-13863282.png
165KB, 500x647px
>>4184908
>>
>>4183419
It depends on your reason for not playing them. Is it because you have no interest in them or you have purposely gone out of your way to avoid playing them due to them being mainstream. If it's the latter I'd consider giving them a try, if not then don't worry about it.
>>
>>4183749
>three marios
Whoa there. I love Mario as much as the next person and do agree it is the most influential series ever, but I think three titles is pushing it a bit. SMB, SMB3, and SMW all generally have the same gameplay dynamics anyway
>>
File: 1489668570290.jpg (106KB, 800x666px) Image search: [Google]
1489668570290.jpg
106KB, 800x666px
>>4184908
>>
If I HAD to make one, I would probably say.
-Super Mario World
-Sonic 2
-Resident Evil 1
-Zelda OoT/LttP (this is a preference thing)
-Strider
-Tetris
-Final Fantasy 4/6/7/8/Chrono Trigger (Up to preference.)
-Streets of Rage 2
-Doom

I believe that you should play what interests you, whether classic or modern, but this would be the list that I would say are "essential". Then again, it is missing a couple consoles (N64 and NES are underrepresented, and my boner for the 16 bit systems probably shows) so my list is biased, but I feel like these probably represent the best that these generations have to offer.
>>
>>4186726
SMB3 and W are essentially modest variants of the same game but SMB is as different from those two as Ghouls and Ghosts.
>>
>>4183419
What do you play?
>>
File: 1498156997746.gif (2MB, 449x266px) Image search: [Google]
1498156997746.gif
2MB, 449x266px
Ultima
SMB1 and/or 3 (and later, World)
Chrono Trigger
LTTP or Links Awakening
Street Fighter 2,Third Strike, and 4
FF (lets saaaay 7)
Doom (and maybe quake)
UT99/CounterStrike (depending on your taste)
Half Life
Thief (and MGS, both did stealth, just differently)
Ultima Online
Mario Kart (any of them)
Shenmue
>>
1. Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Genesis)
2. Doom 2 (PC)
3. Baldur's Gate 2 (PC)
4. Link's Awakening (Gameboy NOT colour)
5. Yoshi's Island (SNES)
6. Civilisation 2 (PC)

I think this list strikes a balance between games that are "historically important" and games which are actually enjoyable to play today. Pong on the Atari is probably more historically important than any of these games, but it's not essential that people play it because it's so goddamn basic. There's barely anything to experience. Whereas the games on the list above are essential *experiences* that are just as enjoyable to play today as they ever have been.
>>
That game with the nazis and swastikas and stuff
>>
Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
which I haven't played

I recommend Wonder Boy 3 in Monster World
>>
File: 1476392198255.png (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476392198255.png
49KB, 640x480px
>>4184291
I think youre trolling
>>
>>4183749
I'd say:
>Doom
>SMB3
>Tetris
>Link to the Past
>Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
>Street Fighter 2
>Donkey Kong
>Super Metroid
To show the games that were probably the most influential on history of gaming and stuff.
>>
>Mega Man 2
>>
File: download.png (7KB, 263x191px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7KB, 263x191px
Why plod through archaic shit like Super Mario Bros 1 when you can start with 3? Or Doom (1!) when you have Duke Nukem 3d? Tetris is like beating two stones together compared to decent puzzlers of the late 90's.

There's like a bar that was set in certain genres and series and anything below that can be safely ignored.
>>
>>4184291
did an eceleb just do a bayou billy video or why is this meme that it was actually a good game now coming to fruition?
>>
>>4194610
That's bait, right? More people nowadays play Tetris and Doom than they play those "decent puzzlers of late 90s" and Duke 3D.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.