[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which game was a bigger clusterfuck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

File: bad sonic games.png (1MB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
bad sonic games.png
1MB, 800x564px
Which game was a bigger clusterfuck?
>>
>>4182935
I've only played cd out of the two and yeah it's a mess
>>
>>4182935
I couldn't get through Chaotix as a kid because of how boring it was compared to regular Sonic games.
>>
Chaotix isn't even a finished game.
>>
Both are experimental but I think Chaotix fails the most. A more polished version of this gameplay would be Sonic Advance 3 or Sonic Heroes if preferred in 3D
>>
>>4182935
Atleast I had fun with Sonic CD. Chaotix? Not so much. It felt empty to be honest. The only thing I would say that's a plus were the special stages and pushing the system's boundaries.
>>
>>4183018
And the music.
>>
>>4182935
That box art is fucking heinous
>>
Looking at both, Sonic CD was pretty much SEGA of Japan's attempt at a Sonic 2, until STI made their Sonic 2 with the help of Yuji Naka. Because of this shit, it felt like an odd crossbreed between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 with weird ass level design with questionable execution, and for some reason was regarded as "The best Sonic game" for no real good reason other than "CD soundtrack, it's on a CD! It's the only good SEGA CD game guys!", despite the Genesis titles arguably doing a better job in terms of level design and everything. If it wasn't for CD soundtrack and unique mechanics, I'd probably say it's a mediocre game, and regardless it is definitely the weakest of the 4 main Sonic console platformers from the early 90s.

Chaotix is pretty experimental and pretty, but past all of that, it's pretty clunky, the level design is repetitive as fuck, etc. I will give them credit for trying, and it's a pretty alright try and it does try interesting, but still, it falls pretty short on being truly fun. Because of this, I have say Chaotix is the bigger clusterfuck
>>
Chaotix is awful

>Completely haphazard level design
>5 Acts per zone
>dumb tether system
>>
Would say Chaotix just because it has more acts than CD does.
>>
>>4183259
>"The best Sonic game" for no real good reason other than "CD soundtrack, it's on a CD! It's the only good SEGA CD game guys!"

oh god this. Sonic 2 was a way better sequel CD is a good game but the weakest main series retro sonic
>>
>>4183382
Can definitely agree.
>>
>>4183382
Pretty much, believe me, I bought into the hype a decade ago and got Gems collection, and it was a pretty boring disappointment realizing that the US soundtrack, while nice and ambient, was boring to go fast to, and the levels felt pretty full of stuff, yet still empty. And then of course the rest of the collection was 2 other pretty meh at best games, and a bunch of shoveled in game gear titles, and Vectorman for good measure.

I seriously don't know how it ended up being considered the best sonic game, I mean, they must have just played at that point and thought "Whoa! 2D platforming! CD Music! Anime intro!", and thus automatically better than every Cartridge sonic, should have really noticed something when they really didn't have any main reason to respect it over the other titles besides "Dude, CD! FMV! Music! lmao!"
>>
>>4183412
The japanese soundtrack's way better desu, and you can even play it on an american Sega CD if you get this prototype (it's the final version, just not with the US soundtrack):
http://hiddenpalace.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD_%28Sep_20,_1993_prototype%29
>>
>>4183434
Yeah, the Japanese Soundtrack is much better and much more sonic and game like, and it does make the game much more enjoyable, but Sonic CD still has it's faults that in my opinion, still make it less enjoyable then the Genesis games
>>
>>4182935
Knuckles Chaotic obviously. Sonic CD is actually a decent game. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron.
>>
Chaotix is almost unplayable.
>>
Chaotix may have been too slow for a Sonic game, but at least it's levels weren't horrible nightmares.
>>
>>4182935
>Sonic CD
>has Wacky Workbench

>Knuckles Chaotix
>does not have Wacky Workbench

Chaotix is the winner.
>>
>>4183820
>pleb can't get around the bouncing floor mechanic
Not surprising.

WW is avant garde level design, plebs wouldn't get it.
>>
>>4183820
Wacky Workbench is preferable to the whole lot of nothing in every single act of Chaotix. Wacky Workbench really only becomes hell on earth if you're trying to find Metal Sonic holograms.
>>
>>4183846
Liking a shit level doesn't give you hipster points, lad.
>>
Chaotix is a goat soundtrack with a shitty game attached to it. CD is a great game, just too hyped for its own good.
>>
It's worth noting both games have the same developers but as >>4182963 said, Chaotix was literally pushed out the door in an unfinished state. It's so bad there's no ending cutscene and almost no badniks, it wasn't intentional design but rather shit they hadn't gotten around to yet.

Because of this it's easily the biggest clusterfuck and CD is the better game. Had Chaotix come out a year later on the Saturn not only would it be better but would probably be held in the same 'underrated gem' class CD always was (well, until recently!)
>>
I really like Chaotix... I love the colors and music. I guess it also helps that I like Knuckles and Espio
>>
>>4183259
>an odd crossbreed between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 with weird ass level design with questionable execution,

It felt like Sonic 1 with a level design meant for 5 year olds, and the sonic 2 features (spin dash) tucked in the last second.

The boss fights were all a joke too. Jump on Robotnik three times and gg. One of them, I think the Quartz level, even had you literally holding right to win and nothing else.
>>
>>4183996
I thought the boss fights were more creative than the wait-for-an-opportunity-to-hit shit that plagues platform games.
>>
>>4183996
you hold right to win on a treadmill but you have to dodge bombs from above which results in you flying in a wall of spikes if you're not careful
>>
>>4183412
Gems collection was the biggest kick in the dick. I got it because the Japanese version had Bare Knuckle 1-3, but that shit got taken off the US and European versions so it wouldn't get a T rating. And we got Vectorman instead.

Fuck Vectorman.
>>
CD isn't even a clusterfuck
>>
>>4184000
I agree, Sonic CD has some pretty creative boss fights especially for the series.

Wacky WorkBench and Stardust Speedway in particular.
>>
>>4183865
>implodating
>>
>>4182935
Chaotix was easily the bigger clusterfuck.
>>
Chaotix breaks my heart. There's a brillant game underneath it all: the Chaotix all control differently enough, yet familiar enough for the Sonic formula. And the vertically oriented stages are a really fun idea.

Even the tether mechanic isn't so bad once you get used to it.

The biggest issue is it's just SO BORING.

If you could make an actual ending and more than just a smattering of badniks, and some more eventful levels, it would easily be 10/10.
>>
>>4184023
I know, Gems was one of the first games I got with my own money and everything, and I was pretty bummed when I realized that not only did Sonic CD not live up to the hype, but the rest of the titles on there were pretty boring aside from maybe fighters and triple trouble. Well, Vectorman was fun at least.
>>
>>4184473
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-qL1KfC-0
>>4182935
Chaotix easily. Sonic CD is a great game (I actually have a soft spot for the Sega CD. love Snatcher, Eternal Champions, Final Fight etc.) Much like the 32X, Chaotix is a premature baby of a game.
>>
>>4182935
Chaotix is an unfinished mess
CD only seems like a clusterfuck until you learn the levels and realize it has the best level design of any sonic game.
>>
>>4183412
>>4184023
>>4184750
Sonic CD was butchered of Gems Collection. It's a port of the PC Windows version, not the Sega CD original, so it has extra loading screens and on top of that it has graphical glitches, it's probably the worst possible version of Sonic CD.
I also noticed input lag when I played it on my PS2+CRT.
>>
>>4185602
Don't forget the low Quality sound effects
>>
Sonic CD is not about going fast except for one level, it's about controlling momentum and exploring

so of course, autists hate it and people who love math adore it
>>
>>4186279
Wait but I thought autists loved math?
>>
>>4184406
I think they're deliberately more characterful encounters than hard challenges - Robotnik seems invincible in Palmtree, then ends up losing by showboating; in Quartz, his trap is perfect, save for one small detail. Overall, I liked that they tried a different approach to the boss battles, shame the final one was such an anti-climax.
>>
>>4186294
you're thinking of aspies
>>
>>4182935
Chaotix, the buddy system was awful
Also heavy and bomb
>>
Well, you can actually play Sonic CD for more than just the soundtrack, once you get used to the level design and the time travel stuff.
>>
Sonic CD: Completely wonky, but still salvageable and somewhat playable. First original Sonic game that I completed, to be honest.
Chaotix: I don't even know how to play this game.
>>
>>4182935
Chaotix. Literally a 70% finished game.

>>4185602
>>4186265
Yeah, CD in Gems Collection is garbage. Zero reason to play it that way.
>>
>>4183259
You forgot how pretty it looked
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJz33hKDR0
>>4184473
>>4185589
It'd really benefit from a good romhack, but the Sonic community's too busy doing sprite swaps
>>
>>4188175

It really would, there just seems to be fuck all interest AND fuck all know-how. The only Chaotix hack is a sprite swap that came out eleven years ago, only works on an ancient version of Kega Fusion and crashes real hardware. In a community of talented autists that have literally reverse engineered every classic Sonic to make 1:1 clones Chaotix still hasn't even gotten a look in.
>>
>>4188175
>>4188570
all chaotix needs is decent levels and the removal of that stupid fucking tethering mechanic
>>
>>4182935
The one that will get me the most (You)s.
>>
>>4183412
>seriously don't know how it ended up being considered the best sonic game,
It's the same case as Rondo of Blood. Pretty good game that's on a console not many people had access to caused loads of hype as a mysterious lost masterpiece rather than just a good game.
>>
>>4183810
How much of Chaotix have you played? It's level layouts were awful
>>
>>4188809
>It's
Begone cretin.
>>
>>4188814
Blame autocorrect
>>
>>4188819
No you had the chance to look and fix any mistakes yet you carelessly posted anyway. You must live with this burden for the rest of your life.
>>
>>4188809
Where can you find those maps?
>>
>>4182935
Sonic CD is the best Sonic game.
>>
>>4188809
That looks like a pain in the ass to play through.
>>
>>4188809
I thought it was a pretty good game. I like how you had to climb up to find the exit sometimes.
Bonus stages were pretty good too, was neat how once you collected all the special rings you could play through them again with transparent floors.

It felt kind of easy since it was really hard to die. your partner is basically an extra hit that regenerates.
>>
>>4188819
Fuck off phoneposter
>>
>>4182935
Two clusterfucks that stand on top of two OTHER clusterfucks....

Oooooh, decisions, decisions.
Pretty epic, really.
>>
>>4186279
>Sonic CD is not about going fast
It's about finding ways to go fast for a bit.
I think it's a neat way to incorporate speed into the gameplay, but I can see why a lot of people don't like it.
>>
Chaotix.

None the mechanics add anything to the game, and it was the franchise' first foray into spewing ugly new characters everywhere for no reason.
>>
>>4182935
WHIP THAT FUCKING ASS

COME ON NOW
>>
>>4183412
>US soundtrack, while nice and ambient, was boring to go fast to,
Good thing you never go fast in SonicCD then.

The Jap soundtrack is redundant as fuck with every stage being some shitty 90s club music. I'll take the US version of just about every stage over the Jap counterpart any day.
>>
>>4191350
Its the way all the 16-bit games did it which is why I can never understand the "Sonic was always about speed" meme.

A few chunks of each act would blast you through but you always ALWAYS got put back to a slow area with careful platforming.

Maybe that's why[ a lot of people don't like them and get frustrated? They think the classics play like the Advance/Rush games and try to blow through them and you just can't do that
>>
I saved up for a long time to buy Chaotix back in the day. I actually really liked it. I liked the colors and the tether never bothered me because I quickly got used to just running around carrying my partner and only tossing him around when needed.

My only complaints were the sheer number of acts each zone had and it was random which one you got to play. Amazing Arena is the stage that suffers the most because of it as the acts are just too big and same-ish PLUS you have to turn on the lights in order to even beat it so you have to locate the clock...thing...first forcing you into a lot of extra exploration in a zone that is just painful to get through anyway.

Marina Madness is a god tier Zone though with the chillest music in the series.
>>
File: sch.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sch.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>4183016
>A more polished version of this gameplay would be Sonic Advance 3 or Sonic Heroes if preferred in 3D

Hell, Sonic Classic Heroes was more polished than Chaotix.
>>
>>4191436
Well, you CAN blast through Green Hill Zone Act 1, but that's literally the easiest level in the whole series.
>>
>>4189984
Make me you mother duck.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.