[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic 3K

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17

Just try and name one flaw.
>>
>>4182412
>What is Carnival Night Zone
>What is Marble Zone
>What is Sandopolis Act 2

Other than that it was pretty fucking good desu

Why do people jizz their pants over Hydrocity so much though?
>>
>>4182421
It's simple: It's the only good water level in a Sonic game (or at least it's the only one where going underwater is actually fun).
>>
>>4182412
>& knuckles
Need I say more?
>>
Getting all 14 emeralds wasn't worth the effort.
>Hyper Sonic is just Super Sonic with a mid air boost
>Hyper Knuckles gimmick only works when latching onto a wall but even then its meh
>Super Tails is the only worthwhile one IMHO, his gimmick auto attacks bosses.

When playing as knuckles supposedly you never encounter Robotnik only Eggrobo because according to lore knuckles was lead to believe that Robotnik is on his side and Sonic is the baddie. Well for some fucking reason the boss of Flying Battery Zone is Robotnik!? That shit always got on my nerves.
>>
>>4182763

Have to imagine it was just an oversight, I know Sonic 3 Complete fixes it at least.
>>
>>4182763

Hyper Sonic's mid-air jump is useful for breaking things if you like glitches.
>>
>>4182763
I think Knuckles' playthrough in S3&K is supposed to take place after the Death Egg is destroyed by Sonic, and Knuckles is basically cleaning out all the leftover badniks.
>>
>>4182412
It was split up into a second cart to get the full game
>>
-Sonic's sprite is absolute trash.
-Boss of Knuckles' Flying Battery is Robotnik instead of the Egg Robot
-Super Emerald special stages aren't that interesting
>>
Ugly as fuck plasticine Sonic sprite.
Tedious special stages.
xtreme snowboarding brah.
Bullshit gimmicks like the spinning tops
Jewish tricks with the lock-on cart so they could sell us two games instead of one
>>
It's not Sonic 1.
>>
Too easy. Still a personal favorite, though.
>>
>>4182421
>>What is Sandopolis Act 2
Probably in the minority but I've always enjoyed this stage.

>>4182962
>Super Emerald special stages aren't that interesting
Never cared for any of the special stages in any of the Sonics.
>>
>>4182421
>Why do people jizz their pants over Hydrocity so much though?

- The music
- The look
- The level design
- Running on water
- The go-fastness

It's easily one of the best stages in any of the games, if not the best.
>>
>>4182903
Doesn't make sense with the whole floating island shtick ending cut-scene for each character.
>>
>>4183269
at the end of sonic, the floating island goes up into the sky.
at the end of knuckles, it's already in the sky and then floats up even higher.
>>
File: soniccdzonegoodfuture-640x448.jpg (136KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
soniccdzonegoodfuture-640x448.jpg
136KB, 640x448px
It isn't Sonic CD.
>>
>>4183269
Angel Island has a different background if you play as Knuckles, you can't see the ocean.
>>
>>4182412
I got stuck inside the floor in Carnival Night once.
>>
>>4183000
>Jewish tricks with the lock-on cart so they could sell us two games instead of one

In their defense, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was meant to be a single game but they ran out of cartridge space. It was either they axe the Knuckles half completely or come up with some other solution.
>>
Too many fucking special stages that don't let you go back to the same giant ring and retry them.

Also, Marble Garden kinda sucked, but that's about it.
>>
It's too convoluted for it's own good and because of that it's harder to reach higher areas without having played the levels a few times. It's not as rewarding as Sonic 1 in that regard.
>>
drum of doom
buying what's essentially one game in two installments
not as tight with the levels as sonic 2
>>
>>4183000
other than the jew trick, all you did was post what's good about it and tried to sell it off as a negative.
>>
>>4182412
The Carnival level.
>>
I'm actually playing this for the first time right now.
How the fuck do you get through Carnival Night under the 10 min time limit. I'm stuck in this room with one of those spinning drums and I can't find a fucking way out.
>>
File: 1265807823856.jpg (24KB, 997x466px) Image search: [Google]
1265807823856.jpg
24KB, 997x466px
>>4184424
You must unlearn what you have learned.

Seriously, for this one single part of the game forget all about the physics mechanics and just press up & down on the D-pad to move the barrel. It's a cruel design.
>>
>>4184424
It's called "drum of doom" for a reason.
>>
>>4184456
I have never once heard it called that. I always called them 'teeth barrels' because they look like a dentist's nightmare.
>>
>>4182412
Knuckles playthrough is too short

>>4182421
I never really understood the hate for Sandopolis Act 2. I've always liked its creepy atmosphere, and the feeling of dread during the sandflood sections and when the lights are completely off.
>>
>>4182421

Its a water level that doesn't use the water as a crutch for difficulty.
>>
>>4182412
Well, it kicks ass. thats pretty much it. ive owned all the sonic carts since they came out, and i think i beat 3 and K by themselves once just to do it. but really, after playing them combined, there is no sane reason to ever play either by themselves again. s3k kicks my dick into my stomach.
>>
>they changed a few songs
>the weird transition from carnival night zone to ice cap zone that doesn't make much sense
>The drums in Carnival night zone
I know the solution to getting passed them, but really, I don't recall the game ever giving you any hint on how to use them and they just shove you in a room with one you have to get passed
>>
>>4184738
It's still not a great level though. Look at Aquatic Ruin for water level done right.
>>
File: Hidden_Palace_Secret_Room_1.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hidden_Palace_Secret_Room_1.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>4182412
not enough "tails" areas.
sonic 3 is a s&k game and sometimes has a lazy secret or two for tails.
>>
>>4183334
> SONIC MADE A POOPIE
> IN Zone 2
>>
File: fgopsj.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fgopsj.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>4182412
The invincibility song is the most repetitive shit I've ever heard in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1mpfiy6bc0

Whoever on Sonic Team thought it was a good idea to use this for Super/Hyper forms was a fucking idiot, considering it's a 6 second loop (12 seconds if we're being generous) that might last for minutes at a time.

It's just confusing, since Sonic 2 had distinct themes for invincibility and for super forms.

Also it's pretty obvious that there were supposed to be different images behind the act text at the beginning of each zone, but for some reason they just made the palm tree for the first zone and then couldn't be fucking bothered to actually make any others and just used it for every single zone.

I love the game, but those are objectively flaws.
>>
>>4184823
Who the fuck plays as Tails? It has always been Sonic or bust. Maybe Knuckles if you've already played the game a ton.
>>
It's too long. I'd rather play them as separate games. Zones like Carnival Night and Hidden Palace are clunkers.
>>
>>4184823

Tails is meant to be easy mode. He's slower and can fly over obstacles.
>>
>>4184951
Erm... don't play as Super/Hyper Sonic then?
>>
File: índice.png (2KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
índice.png
2KB, 100x100px
>>4184951
> but for some reason they just made the palm tree for the first zone and then couldn't be fucking bothered to actually make any others and just used it for every single zone.
Kek, that's just an explosion clip art, son.
>>
>>4182412
I'm not playing it now.
>>
The game undeniably hass some buggy bits.
>>
File: gfs_46788_2_13.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_46788_2_13.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
There is only a single flaw in the entire game.
>>
>>4182421

name a flaw
>>
>>4184823
kinda do wish there was Tail specific events like in the case of Knuckles

especially a specific final boss
>>
>>4182412

Music is not as good as 2's.

2 is better in general to begin with but that is my biggest issue with 3.
>>
>>4185202
2's music is not as memorable
>>
File: about-nakamuramasato3.jpg (15KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
about-nakamuramasato3.jpg
15KB, 250x375px
>>4185206
>Masato Nakamura soundtrack
>not memorable
>>
>>4185202
Shh, you can't say that. Then the Sonic 3fags will pour in shouting "MUH KILL JACKSON!"
>>
>>4185224
I like Sonic 3 and I hate Michael Jackson. So I honestly don't give a shit if people like Sonic 2's music over Sonic 3.
>>
>>4185224
no it's "muh flying battery"

get your muhs right
>>
I'm playing S3K for the first time right now and I'm 99% sure I just got clipped inside the floor when I hit a ramp in Launch Base Zone and now I'm stuck.
>>
>>4185860
Sonic 3's manual calls glitches where you get stuck in walls a gameplay feature.
>>
>>4185894
Holy shit really
I actually have the manual, where does it say this?
>>
>>4182412

Shadow the Hedgehog is not a character.
>>
>>4185224
Michael barely even worked on the soundtrack. He did a few basic tunes on 3 (not even all of the stages) and nothing on Knuckles.
>>
>>4185936
Dunno the exact page but do a CTRL+F for speed
>>
>>4182412

Better multiplayer. I remember the racing mode in sonic 2 was so much more fun. Me and my friends would often play sonic 2 for the retro racing since the multiplayer levels where often a full level. Instead of some small course to the be laped over and over.
>>
Too easy desu, even for a children's game

And fuck Carnival Night
>>
>>4184424

Amazing that casualties of the spinny bastard drum war are still coming in 20 years later.

Son, we did not HAVE an internet to look this shit up on.
>>
>complaining about the two cartridge system
I'm sure they could've used an expanded cartridge but then you'd have to spend NeoGeo money for it.
>>
File: 1501303667491.png (107KB, 245x267px) Image search: [Google]
1501303667491.png
107KB, 245x267px
>>4182412
when you go super/hyper you get a gay 5-second diddy on loop over the ost.
>>
>>4185004
>He's slower
He's actually not.
>>
>>4184951
>it's pretty obvious that there were supposed to be different images behind the act text at the beginning of each zone,
What makes this obvious? Sounds like nothing but a half-baked theory to me.
>>
>>4186148
Paper manuals lacked a search function. Shit design, I know.
>>
File: Sonic3_us_manual_26_27.jpg (94KB, 768x640px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic3_us_manual_26_27.jpg
94KB, 768x640px
>>4185936
Last tip on page 27.
>>
>>4186478
There's no reason the cartidge size would need to be increased. If they made a ROM size large enough (which they could easily have done) it would still have the exact same physical dimensions.

The game being 'too big to fit on a single cartridge' was an advertising gimmick, nothing more.
>>
>>4182434
I mean, Sonic Colors let you swim, and that stage was really neat.
>>
>>4184734
>Knuckles playthrough is too short

Isn't he only missing Death Egg Zone, though? It's not that much shorter.
>>
>>4186741
All of his "exclusive routes" are considerably shorter.
>>
>>4186741
Lava Reef is missing the boss fight, Hidden Palace is 25 seconds of running in a straight line and then jumping on to the teleporter (not making this up), and Sky Sanctuary is a two part boss fight. Death Egg and Doomsday is fully missing. So about a third of the game is not there if you go from S&K alone.

I don't remember about the S3 routes. I know that for one of them you skip half the level because the boss fight wouldn't work with Knuckles (he doesn't jump high enough?). So you just go into some tube that warps you into the next level? I think it's carnival night like that. And Marble Garden maybe has a new boss. But it's been a while so I don't remember.

Launch Base has you fighting 2 of the bosses simultaneously on act 1.
>>
>>4186747
>>4186761
Ah, I was only thinking of the zone count. I forgot about all of these, my bad.
>>
>>4183000
>>4182962
>implying S3&K sprites aren't god-tier

>>4186437
>have trouble with the barrel of doom as a young kid
>when a little less young come up with the idea of looking up how to get past it online
>this was how I discovered the internet beyond Nick/Cartoon Network's websites
>>
>Just try and name one flaw.
It's a Sonic game.
>>
>>4182412
>fully invulnerable enemies are retarded (thanks, marble garden puffers)
like, I shouldn't insta-shield straight through an enemy and not damage it
it feels disgusting
>crusher handling sucks
really, you shouldn't be able to be crushed between crushers that are fucking moving apart (because you shouldn't have been able to get underneath the crusher in the first place)
>sandopolis 2
layout's annoying, also ghosts
>carnival night 2
shit's fucking long, barrel is awful design even if I personally have never ever had trouble with it (it's just awkward and entirely pointless as a gimmick and it bouncing on jump completely changes the "tell" it has for you to do something)
also, there are like two or different barrel types (one that doesn't react to the player and just spins you and moves, IIRC there's one that doesn't react to directional input but bounces when you land on it, and then there's the famous oone that uses up/down to move and bounces when you land on it)

and this from was me just playing the game earlier today, there's more shit that didn't come up
I love the game, but it has its issues.

>>4183000
>Ugly as fuck plasticine Sonic sprite.
fuck off lol

>>4185860
S3&K glitches you through the wall more than any other Sonic, other than maybe SADX.
Sonic 2 also has this problem, but it's only really noticeable in Chemical Plant Zone.

>>4186667
see, the easiest way to fix bugs is to document it and make it a feature

>>4186795
I've always liked the S3 sprite more than the S2 one.
>>
>>4186747
this
Carnival Night 2 is long as shit as Sonic, and super short as Knuckles.
and he doesn't have a fucking boss for no reason
>>
>>4186856
Young me thought Sonic was wearing lipstick in 1 and 2 because of the reddish mouth shadow.
>>
Its impossible, it's a mastapiece
>>
>>4186437
I felt so stupid when I finally figured it out as a kid.
>>
File: Sonic 3.jpg (29KB, 500x507px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic 3.jpg
29KB, 500x507px
>>4184424
>>
File: Sonic sprites.png (51KB, 1148x425px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic sprites.png
51KB, 1148x425px
I have personally always found the S3&K art direction to be ugly as fuck in comparison to 1/2/CD
>>
>>4182763
>Well for some fucking reason the boss of Flying Battery Zone is Robotnik!? That shit always got on my nerves.
that's because that boss sprite is unique and they forgot to replace it, that's all
>>
>>4188779
Generally worse music too.

>Bright colorful neon cityscape level in Sonic 2
>swingin' jazz music

>exact same colorful neon cityscape in Sonic 3
>generic circus music
>>
>>4188821
To be fair, that circus music is maddening during the second act.
>>
>>4186795
>implying S3&K sprites aren't god-tier
Sonic literally looks retarded in S3.
>>
>>4188859
>>4188821
the pc version of carnival was superior.
>>
>>4189240
I didn't know there was a pc version.
>>
File: Big_Arm_Sonic_3_Sprite_Right.png (10KB, 372x333px) Image search: [Google]
Big_Arm_Sonic_3_Sprite_Right.png
10KB, 372x333px
My only issue with it is that in 3&K, the Big Arms boss fight on Launch Base Act 2 is removed (playing as Sonic) for literally not a single reason.

It seems to be one of the more iconic machine Robotnik has built considering it has numerous appearances in the Archie comics and shows up in Generations.
>>
>>4189372
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp5Bx-s-kVE
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>4182412
>Just try and name one flaw.
"""no"""
>>
File: Cnzsubboss.png (6KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Cnzsubboss.png
6KB, 320x224px
>>4182412
this boss is harder than the final boss and any other boss, why
>>
>>4186437
lmao were you retarded or something? I figured it out as a kid
>walk onto barrel
>press left, nothing happens
>press right, nothing happens
>jump, barrel doesn't move up or down enough
>spin dash, nothing happens
there's only two fucking buttons you haven't tried yet, gee, so hard to figure out
>>
>>4189189
3&K is the best looking out of those though.
>>
>>4189503
at no point is it more difficult than any of the DEZ bosses
hell, this boss is pretty damn easy

>>4189189
is it just me, or does Sonic's arm look disproportionately long in the 1/2/Mania sprite
>>
>>4189372
All of the songs that used vocal samples were replaced on the PC version.
>>
>>4190054
People have said it was really an issue with using midi. Don't know how true that is.
>>
I only got past this once or twice as a kid.
>>
>>4190063
Ice Cap's theme has no technical limitations stopping it from being converted to MIDI. No vocal samples or anything.
>>
>>4190364
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24

Listen carefully, it does have "go"
>>
>>4182412
>Not Sonic 3 Complete
Well, there are a ton of sprite errors for starters. MJ was knocked out of the miniboss music, Knuckles routes are hit and miss.

Oh, and you didn't add enough Knuckles.
>>
This game gave me some hard times, though they were the best days of my life.
>>
Admit. As a dumb little kid, you tried inserting your non-Sonic games in the lock-on cartridge.
>>
>>4182412
>>4184951
I'll go with what this guy said. Although I think it is a more minor flaw. Most probably won't ever see Super Sonic anyways. Besides this I would also say >>4188729
is somewhat of a flaw. They should have probably realized the more logical thing someone would do is to jump on the platform to make it move.

These are real nitpicky flaws in an otherwise near perfect game(s) though.
>>
>>4190465
Good taste anon.
>>
I'm seeing that Sonic 3 can run in browsers but I can't get it to work
>>
The Sonic 3 levels
>>
>>4183340
and the Deathegg is no longer in the LavaReef zone
>>
>>4182412
Carnival Night Zone
Marble zone
Flying Battery Zone
were absolutely garbage
>>
>>4182763
>>4182841
>>4188813
Sonic Autist here

Knuckles' campaign was supposed to played side by side Sonic's and begins right before Sonic's his first level should be him at the beach and not mushroom valley getting exploded and it being blamed on Sonic, then game ensues, and he wasn't supposed to go to flying battery zone, originally Flying battery was the second Zone in the game, and not Hydrocity.
Robotnik appears for knuckles because they physically didn't have an eggrobo boss set up on that zone so the game loads up robotnik as again, he was never supposed to be there at all.
>>
>>4190047
the Glove is covering it all
>>
What are the best resolutions to play Sonic CD on?
>>
>>4182412
they ruined sonic's sprite to make him look inflatable. He's too shiny and it looks like he's wearing fucking clownshoes.
>>
>>4192959
You didn't enjoy at least one of them? I like most of them, personally.
>>
>>4193502
320 × 224
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.