[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>artificial scarcity isn't re-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

>artificial scarcity isn't re-
>>
Didn't someone induce a price spike for Rampart on GameBoy? I remember he told the CUPodcast about it.

>but that's just on eBay!
>implying that your average brick and mortar store, craigslist, and forum sellers don't consult eBay sales for pricing. Also Pricecharting.com
>>
>>4182345
Give me one reason why retro stores shouldn't price with eBay?
>>
>>4182350
people actually might buy their inventory thats been sitting on the shelf for 2 years
>>
>>4182350
his feelings
and communism
>>
>>4182364
This. eBay price is bullshit because it doesn't take into account number of sales, just average purchase price. The fact that no one bought something at an inflated price for months on end isn't factored in makes eBay pricing an inaccurate measure of what people are willing to pay. This is especially true when you consider there's a good chance it was just the seller buying his own stock to inflate the price
>>
What is this game and why should I care about it?
>>
>>4182402
Stunt racer 64. Was a blockbuster exclusive, but didn't used to be so hard to find. resellers started hoarding it and pushed it from a $20 game until it peaked around $145. It's down to about $90 now.
>>
>>4182365
t. reseller scum
>>
>>4182339
>artificial

Looks like /vr/ isn't any better at understanding economics!
>>
>>4182350
>>4182364
It would be idiocy for any brick and mortar store to try to sell for less than ebay.
>>
>>4183128
An idiot buying every copy of a game to make it seem like it's rare is the definition of artificial scarcity. It's not a rare game. It's just that most of the stock is in seller's basements.
>>
>>4183138
That's called supply and demand. There's nothing artificial about it. All that matters is the value of the item to the person putting it up for sale.
>>
>>4183141
There is no scarcity of the fucking game. Sure, it's supply and demand in full motion, but it's no real scarcity.
>>
>>4183143
Copies for sale are scarce, that's all it means. There's nothing artificial about it.
>>
>>4183149
"Artificial Scarcity" is used when scarcity is produced by resellers or speculators, and not by any lack of manufacturing. When the NES Mini was released and resellers had garages full of them, that was artificial scarcity, not real scarcity.
>>
>>4183157
People can use it that way, but it's idiotic.
>>
>>4183175
Then what the fuck would "artificial" scarcity be to you?
Only if they completely destroy the product?
>>
>>4183194
It's a meaningless concept.
>>
>>4183132
They'd be justified in selling for either over or under eBay price depending on how readily available the game is in their area. See >>4182387
>>
>>4182364
People already don't buy their 2600 sports games inventory at 99 cents each.
>>
>artificial scarcity isn't real
>thinks a piece of clear carbon is worth thousands
>>
>>4183132
the one in my city is always over ebay prices. Guess where everyone buys there games from?
>>
>>4183508
>2600 shovelware doesn't sell for cheap, so a 7/10 N64 game won't either!
>>
>>4183195
No it's not. One person buying all the copies of something to manipulate the market is not natural. You obviously don't like the term for some arbitrary reason. Since its just you, you should probably keep it to yourself.
>>
Wasn't Hagane hit hard by this?
I recall someone showing loads of evidence that it was never a Blockbuster exclusive but someone out there claimed it did and got the price to insane numbers
>>
>>4183619
>Thinks atoms are worth anything
>>
We've gone beyond crazy now.
>>
>>4183195
It's not a meaningless concept, you absolute tool, it literally means "there's not an actual scarcity of a product, people are just hoarding it to drive up price." If you don't like the term that's fine, but you can't see it's meaningless when it literally has a meaning and the meaning has been used correctly through the entire thread.
>>
>>4184513
>Wasn't Hagane hit hard by this
Yes. It used to be less than 40 bucks less than 10 years ago.
>I recall someone showing loads of evidence that it was never a Blockbuster exclusive
Which is indeed not true. Several channels on Youtube actually bothered to look it up and appearantly the bigger ones like CGR, Cinemassacre and MJR just rolled with the rumor for God knows what reason.

If a games has a high value it's usually because there really is such a high demand for it but that is one of the few cases it was actually artificial scarcity.
>>
>>4182350
>>4182364
Most retro stores I've been to also have ebay listings. It's not one or the other. They're sure as hell not going to put stuff on shelves for less than they'd make on ebay (incl. shipping and fees) though. Why would they?

If I go to a "retro" store it's to browse and to support local business, not because I'm under any delusion that I couldn't do better on ebay.
>>
>>4186280
>If I go to a "retro" store it's to browse and to support local business, not because I'm under any delusion that I couldn't do better on ebay.
You don't pay the shipping, you don't have to wait, and you can see the merchandise.
>>
>>4182350
Wow, that wasn't my point at all. My point was that one guy trying to corner the market for a particular game on eBay can have widespread effect on the pricing of that game in general, even outside of eBay.
>>
>>4183141
It's just shitty oppurtunism from people who can afford to make the market rise and fall.
I know Capitalism is good for competition and innovation but this is just blatant, slap you in the face pirate/bandit tactics. With NO innovation and barely any competition. Well NOT in the POSITIVE manner, anyway.
Fucking Youtubers.
Fucking "E-CELEBS"
fucking fucks
Minus a handful I like.
>>
>>4182339
Pricy
>>
File: 1254372482262.jpg (73KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1254372482262.jpg
73KB, 600x450px
>>4182350
>***@_RARE_LOOK_MARIO_WORLD_VGA_GRADED@_***
>400 dollars
>"Well on ebay, I saw it priced for 400 bucks! 90 dollars for Super Mario World is a fucking steal here bro!
>Try to bring up listings that show it's cheaper than dirt for a normal copy like they have
>"THEN JUST BUY IT ON EBAY!"

I'm just using Super Mario World as an example here but I ran into pawn shops, yard sales, and retro stores that always price shit out the ass because they think they're sitting some goldmine because of those inflated ebay listings.
>>
>>4183087
hi pat, see you still dont understand capitalism right?
"why wont he just give those games out for less than normal asking price to people who want it :("
>>
>>4190582
It's been explained multiple times itt why ebay pricing doesn't reflect what people will actually pay. you sound angry. are you trying to justify a bad purchase for yourself? or are you just assblasted that no one wants to buy your $200 earthbound?
>>
>>4191819
>It's been explained multiple times
An underage poorfag spouting made up phrases and shouting about how words don't actually mean what they really mean isn't explaining.
>>
File: tommy-shrug.jpg (17KB, 322x294px) Image search: [Google]
tommy-shrug.jpg
17KB, 322x294px
>>4182350
Because if I can get it for the same or a similar price as eBay, why should I ever come back?
>>
>>4192758
considering it sounds like your job is going garage sale hunting and reselling your hoarded vidya at inflated prices, i'd say i make quite a bit more money than you do, friendo :^)
>>
>>4193002
How does the one post I made in this thread make it sound like my job is anything? How does it make it sound like I was talking about you aside from I obviously hit so close to home it triggered the fuck out of you?
I was only pointing out that there is no valid explanation as to "why ebay pricing doesn't reflect what people will actually pay" because the premise is wrong. People do pay those prices and the ebay sold listing are proof of it. Anyone who argues the contrary is just wrong. Likely because they're emotional about it because they're stupid underage and poor.
Not saying that's you, but if the shoe fits.
>>
>>4182339
For perspective, there were likely thousands of copies of this game produced. Even if it's a rare title, hoarding 8 copies isn't exactly going to effect scarcity.
>>
>>4182350
Based solely on the 4 retro game stores in my area that are all owen and operated by seperate people. Here is why retro game stores should not base prices on ebay.

First, they don't have options like ebay. Ebay has auctions and make an offer in some cases. Retro game stores, don't want to haggle (no make an offer option) and they price based off ebay sales (no auction option).

Second, retro game stores tend to try to sell things with missing parts or with peripherals or parts that that won't work with flat screens, without informing the buyer that shit is missing or won't work on flat screens. One store in my area has 4 Sega 32x's and none of them have the rf shield clips, model 2 spacer, or the grounding clip. Nes' are sold at stores in my area, with the light zapper as mandatory so that the stores can mark up the price a little.

Finally, they tend to overprice, basing a half assembled game at cib prices, or they look for the highest possible price that is currently being offered on ebay/amazon which eve is higher. This is true of every store in my area.
>>
>there are people itt who don't think nintendo intentionally pulls the artificial scarcity BS and enables scalpers
all nintendo would have to do is make more, and the scalpers would die out
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.