[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What retro console should I buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: hardgirls.jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
hardgirls.jpg
13KB, 300x168px
I want something cheap, with the best games not hard to find. Easy to collect for. Wide variety of genres.
>>
You posted SeHa girls, go for something Saygar. Dreamcast is cheap as fuck, you can easily pirate without modchips and the games are high quality.
>>
>>4181271
ya I heard dc games can be pirated easily, sounds like a good idea.

But I already have PSO on PC and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on Gamecube. Are there still enough games besides those to play?
>>
>>4181268
>easy to collect for
hope you enjoy atari games.
Unironically get your favorite retro console and a flashcart.
>>
>>4181278
>>4181271

I'm pretty glad you guys aren't stuck-up fags who hate the idea of flashcarts and pirating.
>>
>>4181268
Nepfag please go
>>
>>4181290
/v/ is the only board that seems to have users that are super anti-piracy.
>>
>easy to collect for

lol
>>
>>4181278
I've heard flash carts are technically emulating even though it is on original hardware. Could someone explain this to me? Also, is there any actual difference between playing them vs the original carts (graphics, sound, lag, anything at all)?
>>
>>4181303
It is emulating the mappers and special chips on an FPGA, essentially a reprogrammable chip that can simulate a chip. While still at the mercy of whoever is programming it, it is usually accurate to play most games. The only system that has a major issue with a flashcart is the Super Nintendo, as many "big" games have chips that haven't been able to be emulated on an FPGA. Though, the firmware on them can be updated to support more.

Graphics, sound and lag are usually setup specific. Just make sure you're using a "clean" dump of the game.
>>
>>4181268
here you go op cheap and colourfull what more can you ask for
>>
>>4181268
SNES, PSX, GameCube or PS2.
>>
>>4181318
FGPA is the future. Although it's not considered emulation, but more like... simulation, the transistors interaction act like just the real hardware. It's pretty crazy.
>>
>>4181268
Famicom and Atari 2600 are the cheapest for both hardware and software, and have an amazing selection of games. Though you could just get a Wii and hack it too.
>>4181303
To add to >>4181318, if the console or game doesn't support/use any special chips and it's literally just reading from storage, it is 100% identical to an original game. It's just the console reading a storage medium in those instances.
>>
>>4181268
Your mom is a good retro console to buy. I plug her in. Ah don't ya just love the classics!
>>
>>4181294
You should support the devs when you can.
Retro mostly doesn't fall into that category. The majority of the games aren't available through e-Shop, PSN, Xbox Live or Steam, so you're literally just throwing money at some random guy who has a copy. Its not worth doing.
>>
Like some other anons said Atari games are really cheap but I don't know if they're too old for your taste or not.
>>
>>4181608
The genesis collection on steam is probably the only one worth getting as you can be a moralfag and rip the ROMs out of the program IIRC. Other than that most rereleases are shit.
>>
>>4181268
From your OP I would have said Genesis for sure. The games are still very reasonably priced even the good uncommon ones.

If you're still looking to have a sort of collection but not of games, probably still go Sega. Get yourself a Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast. For $150-$200 you could have all three plus a saturn modchip and an everdrive for the Genesis.
>>
>>4181318
>>4181402
Most appreciated guys
>>
>>4182328
No problem, just don't be a fag and ask about where to get roms. Check here http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Need_Games%3F
It is recommended to keep a fullset just in case another emuparadise type thing happens again.
>>
>>4181318
Where would one find a clean dump? Do you have to worry about malware at all?
>>
>>4182478
A clean dump is essentially a 1:1 dump of the cartridge's or disc's data. Meaning that all data should be in place when being read on an emulator or real console. Check here >>4182332
I found pretty good success with archive.org's stuff, but you do need an account to download it.
>>
>>4181268
Atari 2600

Not even joking. It fulfils 3/4 of the requirements you asked for.
>>
>>4181268
I'll list of some of my favorites to collect for.

PS1, lot of great games can be had under $20, rest can be pirated fairly easily. It's a good entry into retro. Has a great variety of games.

Genesis, unfortunately a lot of the games got ported, but that has helped keep costs down. Has a lot of great platformers, fighters, sports, and racers. It lacks a bit on RPGs, and the few that are on it tend to be pricey.

Atari 2600, has a lot of great games that can be had for pennies. A lot of it has been ported to just about every platform that has come out since, but it's still a lot of fun.

Nintendo 64, probably the priciest option, and the really popular games can go anywhere from $20-60 per cart. It's a great system, but be sure to have a few spare controllers, the analog sticks tend to wear down.

Dreamcast, system can usually be had for about $50, most exclusives that sold well are fairly pricey ($25-50) but it has a lot of great multiplats and ports, quite a few of which can be had cheap. Piracy is also very easy, since pretty much any idiot can burn games to play on it.

Not exactly retro, but the XBox and PS2 are pretty easy to collect for, and we're still in the phase were values are pretty low. Not to mention that PS2 can play pretty much every PS1 game without issues, and is easy to pirate for. Most GameCube titles are a little too steep for my blood, but there are definitely some exceptions that can make it or a Wii a good purchase.
>>
File: segagaga.jpg (715KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
segagaga.jpg
715KB, 1280x768px
>>4181278
i'm not sure why /v/ thinks that about /vr/

well whatever to keep them away.
>>
>>4182332
What emuparadise thing? And what about no-intro as opposed to a goodset?
>>
>>4183775
>emuparadise
Nintendo sent a DMCA and made them remove all Ninty published games from the site. That doesn't mean all games on ninty consoles are gone, just the ones published by them.

>no intro vs goodset
no-intro and goodset only include cartridge based games, but no-intro only includes the "clean dumps" of games while goodset includes all known dumps of games, including romhacks. Working dumps in goodset are indicated by an !. No intro is probably the thing you want.
>>
If you really want a good budget machine then the wii is top pick. It has a variety of emulators and a myriad of controllers to support them, it has support for everything up until early 3D consoles, and then it can still run N64 games that either were on virtual console or were injected by fans. On top of that it plays wii games (some of which are worth your time) and gamecube games too if you get an older model. Finally, with an SD card, a USB HDD, and a little time, you can set it up so that all of those many consoles, even the wii and gc games, are free and easily loaded from your own storage medium, no disks or other bits required beyond controllers. And if that wasn't enough, homebrew supports USB keyboards and other bits, meaning you get support for things like dosbox or other classic PC emulators. And, on top of all of that, the system outputs 240p over component, and the cables are really easy to find (especially compared to GC cables).

I would almost say that owning a Wii should be a priority for any classic player on a budget. It really does do everything and it's both cheap and easy to obtain and set up. Can't say enough positive about it.
>>
>>4181268
PSP, obviously.
>>
>>4181268
>I want to collect with no effort!
>I don't want to spend much money!
>I want to play only amazing games!
>I want to play lots of genres!
OP, you probably want a modded Wii or a PC good enough for any emulation.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.