[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sotn Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

Why people consider this game as the best metroidvania?
>Painfully easy, braindead easy, holy shit there are a dozen ways to break the game and they're not even that hard to stumble upon.
>Platforming aspect is very quickly made boring because you can turn into a bat and fly.
>Inverted Castle is a chore because the platforming is boring. Consider the Super Metroid Rotation hack and how interesting the platforming challenges are since you can't just fly around right off the bat. You have to use the tools you have and gain in interesting ways while in the same environment. SotN is just, fuck, the levels are so bland it just feels like an aesthetic change. The maps are not memorable.
>Have to beat the game to play as the fun modes
>Can chow down on health items and shit on a whim
>There are dingy RPG elements that just bloat the menus and barely matter at all
I have no clue why people rank it anywhere close to Super Metroid. Must be the graphics and music.
>>
Hi /v/, welcome to /vr/. This a slow board, please use the catalog, we already have a SOTN thread.
>>
>>4178851
Musics kinda good i guess. And like always nostalgia for something that handy really been done much before.
>>
>>4178851
Beby's first syndrome
>>
It plays a lot better with the hardtype rom hack you can find.
>>
Because the fun of Metroidvanias is exploration and experimentation, not difficulty. It's great precisely because it doesn't punish you for wanting to dick around.
>>
>>4180628
>Bumping a shitpost thread that gets posted every fucking day.
kystbhfam
>>
>>4180660
I browse /vr/ daily and I never saw this post.
>>
Game was balanced around not using potions as those were a last minute inclusion for shitty players. Just ignore all the healing items.
>>
>>4178851
>why people consider this game as the best metroidvania?
Because it's fun, you absolute troglodyte.
>>
>>4178851
https://youtu.be/VjQ1G87oJek
>>
>>4178851
First metroidvania to have rpg elements? Honestly this is the only thing I can think of.
>>
The only reason why I don't like SotN is that the monsters are too small compared to the giant levels.
At least AoS justified it because of the retarded GBA screen, but SotN was a home console game for fuck sake.
>>
>>4180771
The game wasn't balanced. Period.
>>
people consider it for having the best animation and ost among other entries in this genre("metroidvania" is beyond retarded, I refuse to call it this way), stop strawmanning
>>
File: XPfIdwh[1].png (699KB, 615x416px) Image search: [Google]
XPfIdwh[1].png
699KB, 615x416px
Are we doing this shit all over again?
>>
Prowling Vlad's haunt on Halloween, trying out various stuff on enemies and whatnot, is one of the finer things in vidya. Having that huge game world vs. the on-rails linearity of Classicvanias wins it imo.
>>
File: 50.png (36KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
50.png
36KB, 300x100px
Because MORE people played SotN than any of the handhelds.
Majority rules, young one.
>>
>>4178851
>Painfully easy, braindead easy, holy shit there are a dozen ways to break the game and they're not even that hard to stumble upon.
People usually doesn't try hard to break the game. And for most people a bit of challegen is good enough. "Easy for me" is not an argument against what other people consider to be good.

>Platforming aspect is very quickly made boring because you can turn into a bat and fly.
Which happens later in the game, and as a bat you can't do half the shit you can as in human form. I very rarely use bat form if not required to.

>Inverted Castle is a chore because the platforming is boring. Consider the Super Metroid Rotation hack and how interesting the platforming challenges are since you can't just fly around right off the bat. You have to use the tools you have and gain in interesting ways while in the same environment. SotN is just, fuck, the levels are so bland it just feels like an aesthetic change. The maps are not memorable.
For you. Besides, there are more things to do other than jump platforms. The game at that point becomes even harder (maybe not for you). I felt hyped when i entered the inverted castle to be honest, feels like a major development point.

Again, for you. Maybe you like old castlevanias, in that case it is normal that you don't share the opinion with those that like SotN

Never felt like that, i always save these items because i don't feel like i can use them indefinitely. Always end with a lot of these items not used by precaution.

>There are dingy RPG elements that just bloat the menus and barely matter at all
For some people this is a plus.

So in short, it is not the kind of game you enjoy, and you wonder why are people in earth with a different taste than yours, which happens to be more popular.
>>
File: 1499985694862.jpg (500KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1499985694862.jpg
500KB, 1920x1080px
>>4182832
Don't get me wrong I really like the metroidvania style that sotn introuced to the series, but everything sotn does aria does it better. Sotn didn't really grasp my attention and I found it boring for the reasons listed above. The rpg elements are too much cluttered imo, the game is already easy, why would you need a familiar that does the job for you? And later in the game if you find the right weapon you get stupidly overpowered.
The inverted castle might be cool thing that makes you "wtf" for the first minutes but it's a very poor form of level design to recyle the same assets and sprites again. On the other hand the chaos realm in Aria is way better, cause it leaves you disoriented for the whole time you explore it and it's very well made because there is a little part of every zone you explored during the game.
Anyway this is the first time that someone finally analyze all my critics. Ty for writing that.
>>
SOTN is about exploration and has the most interesting environments out of any Metroidvania ever, even La Mulana.

Metroid was just caves.
>>
>>4182884
>Metroid was just caves.
SOTN is just a castle.
>>
>>4183282
AND caves.
>>
I found sotn only flaw was thr fact that there was no in-game way to figure out new spells, you had to look that up also darfmetamophisis
>>
>>4182872
> And later in the game if you find the right weapon you get stupidly overpowered.
Always liked ghe nunchucks meself
>>
>>4182872
>aria does it better
Apart from graphics, music, length and overall significance to the genre.
>>
>>4183547
There is though, you can "buy" them from the merchant. You don't actually unlock spells you just learn the button combination.
>>
>>4182872
>Aria
>you have to grind for souls

>SotN
>you don't have to grind for souls

SotN > Sorrowshit
>>
SOTN is an aesthetic masterpiece. If you're only in it for the gameplay, play order of ecclesia.

>>4183282
With a library, art gallery, colosseum etc.
>>
>>4181143
Unfortunately.
>>
>>4182872
> And later in the game if you find the right weapon you get stupidly overpowered.

You don't even NEED a weapon to be overpowered.
If you go unarmed you punch pretty damn fast AND for some reason often hit things twice.
>>
File: fuck you.gif (4KB, 128x129px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.gif
4KB, 128x129px
>>4178851
If you want more challenge try out CotM.
I'm getting my shit pushed in by Dracula at this very moment.
>>
>>4182884
>and has the most interesting environments out of any Metroidvania ever, even La Mulana
Fuck off, La-Mulana is superior in every way.
>>
>>4178851
Wow, it's almost like people play games for fun and for the experience instead of for jacking off their skill and technique.
>>
>>4186754
t. normie casual
>>
>>4185192
If you can survive not getting any sub weapon for Nathan until you get the DSS combo for sub weapon crash, even dracula will become a piece of cake.
>>
>>4186754
>criticize a game is bad and you should not do it.
>>
Install the hard-type hack.
>>
Not a bad game in it's own right, but seriously could they have tried a little harder with the character's name?

>Dracula backwards...............
>>
>>4190598

uh it's actually odakira backwards
>>
>>4178851
Hate the bad English shit dub. Highly prefer the re-Translation with OG Japanese audio. Been playing that one.
>>
>>4190598
What's wrong with that? He's a dhampirs and hates his father. What better way to spite him?
>>
>>4190713
Die monster! You don't belong in this world
>>
File: OP.png (1KB, 369x130px) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
1KB, 369x130px
>>4178851
Don't mind me, I'm tearing this OP a new asshole.
Much more playable than the cheap deaths in the previous games, and yes it's easy to get the Crissaegrim & Heaven Sword, but it takes a lot of grinding & luck.
Bullshit. You have to get the bat ability, first.
This is just bait. Are you just gonna spam the same bat excuse the whole way through?
Not really.
Yes, I could make that claim, but there's a faerie familiar to deal with that.
Most of it matters. You just don't know it.
>>
>>4190809
>Much more playable than the cheap deaths in the previous games
Why are you even on this board?
>>
quickly someone link me a castlevania music playlist for research
>>
>>4190809
>Let me just me say everyrhing is bait. I sure showed him!
Fucking /v/tards, why don't you return to your shitty board?
>>
File: alucard.png (64KB, 140x244px) Image search: [Google]
alucard.png
64KB, 140x244px
I feel that i saw this on /v/ a while ago.
>>
>>4190930
Slapping OP with my opinions. Why are you?

>>4191150
Because /v/ is full of picky assholes who post anything but vidja related.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.