[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is it so hard to play saturn games now? The consoles and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14

File: saturn logo.jpg (64KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
saturn logo.jpg
64KB, 610x343px
why is it so hard to play saturn games now? The consoles and games are hard to find and expensive as hell. Yet the emulation scene is still awful.
>>
>>4177283
no support and probably no documentation just as eggsbox
>>
>>4177283
Unless you want something like bsnes tier accurate, emulation has been perfectly fine for years.
>>
>>4177283
This is like saying "Why is it so hard to find parts for Edsel Packards?"
>>
>>4177283
emulation is VERY finicky. honestly, I would suggest dropping $130 or so into a complete saturn, 3D controller, action replay, and modchip. maybe that's just because I like using real hardware though.
>>
>>4177286
Yeah but at least you can still pick up a hugebox for cheap, buying a saturn is gotta tear your wallet apart
>>
File: no-doubt-return-of-saturn.jpg (201KB, 988x774px) Image search: [Google]
no-doubt-return-of-saturn.jpg
201KB, 988x774px
You have options like modchip, pseudosaturn and even disc swap if you don't mind gambling with your disc drive (then again, some people claim they've been doing it for decades).
The console itself is not really expensive, is it? A lot of games are also cheap. Only the most sought-after or rare games are pricey, sometimes to ridiculous amounts. But really, modchip or pseudo nigga.
>>
Used Saturns are like 100-1000 yen.
>>
>>4177302
if you plan on modding it anyways, you might as well get a Japanese saturn, you can even enable english. cheapest way to get the full saturn experience is to get a japanese saturn and psudeosaturn the fuck out of it
>>
File: Screenshot (263).png (193KB, 1329x663px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (263).png
193KB, 1329x663px
>>4177302
>>4177305
too fucking expensive for a console with only a handful of good games
>>
Mednafen added Saturn support a year ago and made some updates since then.
It may not be perfect but at least it's making progress.
>>
>>4177318
Are those auctions? Because if that's the final price, 70 bucks for a complete Saturn isn't expensive. Stop studying, get a good job, and earn money, anon jr.
>only a handful of good games
Good then, you shouldn't worry about it, just keep playing other retro games you can emulate easier and better.
>>
If you find the Saturn expensive, then maybe retro game collecting isn't the hobby for you. Invest your time in getting a job instead.
>>
I think we need to settle this once and for all. How much should you pay for a retro console, /vr/? I say you should never pay more than $100
>>
>>4177329

Depends on the condition. $100+ is worth it depending on condition.
>>
Buy a Japanese Saturn, they shouldn't cost more than 30-40 bucks at most with all cables. The Japanese library is 5-6 times as big as either the NA or European libraries and just about every game you would care aobut is much much cheaper. You could also just burn backups and play them with very simple workarounds, just like the Dreamcast, if you don't want to go full hardmod.
>>
File: cranky_kong_04_595.png (484KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
cranky_kong_04_595.png
484KB, 407x405px
>>4177329
Not more than what they originally cost would seem like a reasonable limit. Depending on the condition and also the demand. It's a limited supply for a seemingly increasing demand.
At this point I'm not sure if retro consoles will ever get as cheap as they were in the early 00s, when retro gaming was just a small nerd subculture, and majority of people only cared about the new stuff. Nowadays, retrogaming has gotten quite attached to popular culture.
So it's either those people eventually grow up and want to sell their stuff (but not all of them will do this), and you also need low demand. Are retro games and consoles only sought after by older people with nostalgia for them? Or also younger people who want to try new old things? Thousands of teens get into retro games every day, thanks to youtube.
So who knows if the "Bubble" will ever pop, or get even bigger.
>>
>>4177352
>So who knows if the "Bubble" will ever pop

When 3D printing matures to the point where you can repro a console and carts with ease from the comfort of your own home.
>>
>>4177358
Keep dreaming.
>>
>>4177358
Nope.

That kind of shit will just push the price of genuine stuff even higher. Anyone who just wants to play games will emulate. It's the collectors who scrabble after original hardware and games in pristine condition and they're never going to settle for repros no matter how good they are.
>>
>>4177329
Good luck finding a Neo Geo AES, Laser Active, Sega CD, Turbo Duo or PC Engine Duo-r in good condition for $100 or less. You could get lucky and buy one of them off of some clueless guy, or find some in a dumpster or what not, but $100 is less than what you'll find them for at normal market value pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>4177358
>he doesn't know that collecting is entirely based on authenticity, and that the more genuine the copies look, the pricier the originals get

BRO I BET YOU'LL BUY ORIGINAL REMBRANDT PAINTINGS FOR $1 WHEN MASS PRINTING STUFF IN COLOR WILL BE POSSIBLE
>>
>>4177367
>wanting any of that garbage
You collectorfags crack me up
>>
>>4177371
sure? Why not? I mean, it's all the same shit. Who cares whether it's the original or not?
>>
>>4177283
>why is it so hard to play saturn games now?

You put the disc in the console and press the power button, I dunno what makes that hard.

>The consoles and games are hard to find and expensive as hell.

The consoles are extremely easy to find on ebay, and the console plays burned discs with a pseudo cart. Get the Japanese consoles, they are less overpriced.

>Yet the emulation scene is still awful.

I dunno, I could play any Saturn game I tried with zero issues back in 2007.
>>
>>4177371

One of a kind items vs mass produced plastic crap
>>
>>4177367
I got Duo last year for $80 shipped last year (body only) and thought I overpaid.
>>
>>4177302
>disc swap if you don't mind gambling with your disc drive (then again, some people claim they've been doing it for decades).

It's not a gamble. As long as you are not smashing the discs on like a ham fisted mongoloid, you are doing zero extra damage to the thing.

>>4177318
$70 is "too fucking expensive" for you? You couldn't get a SNES with Mario World for that much.

And like I said, jap units are even cheaper.
>>
>>4177374
>being such an underage faggot that you don't know about the awesomeness that is PC Engine Super CD-ROM or Neo Geo AES

Stay poor and tasteless
>>
>>4177371
I don't know.
I'd rather have a digital copy of the pictures. They're more flexible and convenient.
>>
>>4177378
>zero issues with Saturn emulation
>in 2007
>hey guys, I'm too much of a pleb to notice any issues when I play on my emulator, therefore there couldn't be any issues! Never bothered trying original hardware to compare it with either, cause who who'd want to waste money on that!
>>
>>4177394
thank you for your contribution to this board
>>
>>4177374
>collectorfags
Not everyone who owns original hard is a collector. We already told you 70 bucks for a Saturn is not expensive and you have several options to play backups.
>>
>>4177397
SSF was playing most everything fine in 2007. It mostly got rewrites and support for extra stuff since (analog controls, multitap, per-game profiles, deinterlacing, infinite save library, not needing a bios to function, movie recording, and so on).

I've had a Saturn since the 90s.
>>
Is habause actually usable? Will it run Sega Rally?

Any other saturn games to try? Did outrun appeared on sarurn?
>>
>>4177407
People still complain about the state of Saturn emulation, even with SSF, Yabause and Mednafen making improvements. The Saturn has been notoriously difficult to emulate,and you're claiming SSF was running everything fine 10 years ago with "zero issues". That's a load of horseshit and you know it.
>>
>>4177416
>Did outrun appeared on sarurn?
Probably best version of it.
>>
>>4177416

Anything that's not SSF or Mednafen should be ignored.
>>
>>4177289
>emulation has been perfectly fine for years.
Even on games that play "100%", there's still some random lockups here and there. One example is Gundam Blue Destiny. Sometimes the screen goes black and doesn't return to the game.
>>
>>4177283
>how come i can't get my instant gratification without putting in the slightest amount of research????
Why does the general opinion of Saturn emulation seem like it's stuck somewhere in 2006?

SSF and Mednafen exist now, you don't have to fuck around with Yabause anymore and pray to god that it works. That thing is such a damn turd I swear, it always was. I actually remember being in your exact situation 10 years ago. Start googling shit from now on and sort through the trash, at least you'll learn to be more self-sufficient.
>>
>>4177283
That's because the Saturn didn't sell that well in America. Also people on the emulating scene has not perfected emulating shit beyond cartridge base game systems. Hell it's hard enough as it is to find the perfect Playstation 1 emulator that includes Game Shark codes.
>>
The Saturn is literally only worth buying if you plan on using a flashed Action Replay or modchip. I got a complete console on Craigslist for $35 not knowing that games besides Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers were crazy expensive.
When I saw Clockwork Knight selling consistently at $60 CIB I knew I had to use Pseudo or sell the fucker.
I own, like, Virtua Fighter and VF2 physically but that's it.
>>
>>4177584
Because for every game you know that is "100% playable", there are five that aren't. Same shit as someone saying N64 emulation is awesome when they only play Mario 64.
>>
File: 1485909611717.jpg (47KB, 667x645px) Image search: [Google]
1485909611717.jpg
47KB, 667x645px
>>4177283
Step 1: Buy a Japanese Saturn and an Action Replay Pro
Step 2: Install PseudoSaturn
Step 3: ???
>>
>>4177367
Model 2 Sega CDs sell for $40-$75.
>>
>>4177606
>wanting something that only pairs up nicely with the model 2 genesis that has godawful sound unless you use a fugly adapter for the model 1
>not wanting a tower of power setup with the aesthetically much more appealing model |

You're right, I was thinking of working model 1 Sega CDs
>>
>>4177605
Step 4: Buy Japanese physical copies for dirt cheap for games you actually want to own
Step 5: Pirate everything else
>>
>>4177612
>being this autistic
Look, I'd like a Model 1 CD myself, but saying that you can't buy the system for under $100 is plain false. If your autism is stopping you then fine. Also lrn2repair belts, although even that doesn't save you money now that everyone knows it's an easy fix.
>>
>>4177603
>me: Saturn emulation isn't as bad as it used to be. New options have opened up
>you: But there are some games you can't play though just like N64 emulation so they're both bad
that's a really nice contribution you lazy faggot
>>
>>4177615
My autism did stop me and I got a working model 1 for something like $120 which I was OK with. Saving $40-50 at most for a model 2 is not worth it, but you're right it can be gotten below $100, although if you go by ebay prices the cheapest right now is a unit that needs pico repair that goes for $70, so a unit in good order for $45 sounds like something you wouldn't find anywhere.
>>
>>4177617
Do you enjoy winning arguments you made up inside your own head?
>>
>>4177631
>arguments I made up
Saturn emulation isn't hard, either pony up for a real console or just stop complaining and play what's available, which again is a pretty open and friendly selection of games even if it isn't the entire library. You're too fixated on the negatives as always

just enjoy life you fucking nerd
>>
>>4177283
>why
Bandwagoner eBaybies. If your not one you've had a saturn for some time and have at least a mod chip. Jap saturns with a mod chip were going for as low as ¥500 as recently as a year ago. I don't know what they go for now because I already have 7 and don't care.
>>
File: ss.jpg (106KB, 1482x639px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
106KB, 1482x639px
>>4177283
I feel you, bro.
>>
>>4177706
I burned myself a CD-R of Taromaru. Good game, kinda short, but has replay value.
>>
>>4177425
Serious. These "100% compatibility bro" people need to be stopped
>>
>>4177592
>Hell it's hard enough as it is to find the perfect Playstation 1 emulator that includes Game Shark codes.
Mednafen?
>>
>>4177942
>Mednafen
Ummm...I don't believe I've heard of that medication. I don't take meds since it's man-made. I smoke weed instead.
>>
>>4177948
>>4177951
summer pls go
>>
>>4177954
>pls
What's a pls?
>>
>>4177954
>projecting this hard
Yeah. It's totally summerfags who can afford original hardware and are sick of poor babies shitting up the board with their shitposts crying about prices.
>>
>>4177283
I've got Guardian Heroes on 360 and Princess Crown is never going to be translated, so I don't see much point to this console for me.
>>
>>4177295
Xbox og i see for 20-30 locally and i see saturns for about 40-60 depending on the model and what they come with. Neither is expensive as say, a turbo duo, or even a 3do
>>
File: 1495915492097-vr.jpg (2MB, 2560x1709px) Image search: [Google]
1495915492097-vr.jpg
2MB, 2560x1709px
Any word on when the Saturn Satiator is coming?
>>
>>4177283
SSF works and is fast, Mednafen works and is good and is being actively updated (although from the changelog, there isn't much work done on the Saturn core).
No point in buying games when Pseudo Saturn Kai exists (which plays Panzer Dragoon Saga, assuming you've patched all four disc images).

The consoles are kind of expensive now -- a Saturn with cables, a controller, and a game (if something common like Virtua Fighter or whatever, good enough to do the swap trick and install Pseudo Saturn with) used to be like $50 in 2012 or so.
A bare Saturn is like $70+shipping now.

>>4177706
Taromaru is a stellar game that I'd still pay not a cent more than $60 for.
It's a shame it's so damn rare, since it's pretty good.

>>4177614
this
bought Burning Rangers JP complete pretty cheap a few years ago, and it's still pretty cheap these days
having no in-game directions sucks, but it's playable

>>4177603
the vast majority of the Saturn library is emulatable just fine, it's not like N64 emulation at all (which is still appallingly bad)
most people having issues with SSF don't know that there's a compatibility setting in the options (click the max compatibility button and restart the emulator -- some popular games like Guardian Heroes don't boot if you don't do this, and more than a few games will have issues otherwise) since by default it enables a ton of speedhacks to be playable on 2006-era computers

it's not perfectly accurate (in fact, no emulator really handles the Saturn under heavy load properly, which would be awful to emulate anyway due to the complicated architecture, although some easier things to handle (VDP1 fill glitches) aren't handled either -- you can throw a hell of a lot more on screen in an emulator than on hardware without worry, which makes developing a bit of a pain if you don't have a dev cartridge since burning CDs like crazy sucks ass)
but it works, and it's not in the same camp as N64 at all
>>
Here's my Saturn collection
>>
>>4177283
News flash, they were hard to find and expensive as hell when they were new.

>>4177290
lol
>>
Help me out, fellas. I've got a modded Saturn but nothing in the expansion slot. Do I fill it with the cheaper proprietary ram expansion (I've heard Metal Slug performs better on the 1mb expansion created for it than the 4mb AR), or do I just buy an action replay, even though its region bypass and such are now redundant?
>>
>>4177364
How do you notice difference between original and perfect 3d printed copy?
>>
>>4177318
>A handful of good games
>>>/v/ is that way
>>
there are some shitters shitting up the thread, but I'd still like some opinions on my situation >>4178319 please
>>
I saw a sega saturn at a flea market last weekend and was tempted to buy but i dont know anything about the system, what the cables look like etc. And when i pressed the button to open the tray it opened up pretty slowly. I thought that might be pretty weird so i skipped on it..
>>
>>4178376
https://warosu.org/vr/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=fanni+shmups
What's your agenda? Why do you feel the need to post like that.
>>
>>4178547
Why do Amiga attract so much autism?
>>
how is it that so many on this board don't know about mednafen

also why haven't they figured out that the saturn is barely worth emulating anyway
>>
File: 1501826302328s.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1501826302328s.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>4178273
>CMC
>>
>>4178562
>how is it that so many on this board don't know about mednafen
they're pretending to be retarded for virtual currency of (you)s
>also why haven't they figured out that the saturn is barely worth emulating anyway
now, let's not go too far
>>
>>4177425
>The Saturn has been notoriously difficult to emulate,and you're claiming SSF was running everything fine 10 years ago with "zero issues". That's a load of horseshit and you know it.

Everything I tried and is worth playing, yeah.

I mean shit like NBA 98 or Doom was not working but nobody gives a fuck about those.
>>
>>4178319
>(I've heard Metal Slug performs better on the 1mb expansion created for it than the 4mb AR),

This is false. Metal Slug on Saturn runs like ass no matter the cart. The whole "runs bad on AR" is a rumour started by the people who are asspained because they bought a ludicrously expensive meme game to play on their meme console only to have it run at 15fps with dropped animation.
>>
>>4178639
>they're pretending to be retarded
>refusing to acknowledge that no one gives a shit about mednafen
>>
>>4177293
I did this, and a few months later the drive stopped reading discs. Ill wait for the usb mod to come out.
>>
>>4178834
>WAah saturn emulation is bad!

>ssf? muh daemon tools botnet and input lag
>mednafen? no-one gives a shit about mednafen

>Waah saturn emulation is bad!
>>
>>4177407
Ssf is great if it works. On my main pc it just opens a small box and gets stuck. Worka on my laptop tho, apart from it needs deamon tools to host the iso which isnt good cos deamon tools comes with malware these days. Also cant use ssf on my emu box for the same reason.
>>
>>4178652
Like people always say in /emugen/,
"100% compatible" isn't the same as "100% compatible with the 5 games I know"
>>
>>4178874
But, you can always get an old version that doesn't have malware like the guys that never want to stop using uTorrent because it's familiar or whatever.
>>
>>4178870
>Saturn emulation
I own a Saturn. What would I need with an emulator? I'm not a poorfag like you.
>>
>>4177318
>that 70 dollar bundle
>20 dollar action replay for flashing
>20 bucks for 100 CDs for burning your games
pretty good deal IMO
>>
>>4177606
um nobody wants a shitty ass model 2
>>
>>4181241
I do

They just werk
>>
>>4177283
>Yet the emulation scene is still awful.
Are you a time traveller from pre 2005?
>>4177425
Not him... but more than 10 years ago SSF ran most games on my piece of shit laptop. I finished dozens. You guys are retarded. The only saturn emulator that is garbage is yabause. The other 2 are fantastic.
>>
Anyone know a good Saturn seller on ebay?
>>
File: saturn (2).jpg (666KB, 3046x1840px) Image search: [Google]
saturn (2).jpg
666KB, 3046x1840px
Plebs
>>
i still have my saturn with the best games but i'd rather play on SSF, the emulation is perfect
>>
>>4182908
so ugly compared to european and jap boxes. poor muricans
>>
>>4182913
Politely disagree, I think the NTSC longboxes are beautiful, if awkward and fragile.
>>
File: 1477061248097.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477061248097.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
You guys just motivated me to give my saturn a hard deep clean. I bought it like 7 years ago for 10 bucks and I've never had a problem with it reading games or an action replay.
>>
File: 1500854099054.jpg (70KB, 535x655px) Image search: [Google]
1500854099054.jpg
70KB, 535x655px
I was pretty fortunate to find one dirt cheap with a bunch of games and extra controllers.

>Went to local church rummage sale.
>Only open during the summer and only one Wednesdays.
>Finds box full of Sega Saturn stuff.
>Didn't know about it at the time.
>Bought it for $10 bucks with Shining Wisdom, Panzer Dragoon, Knights into Dreams, Bugz 2, and Galactic Attack.
>It also had Mortal Kombat 3 on the Genesis inside.
>Had a good time playing Knights and Shining Force was a discovered gem for me.
Flash forward 1 year later.
>Find another antique store with 20 Saturn games.
>$80 for the whole lot.
>Was poor at the time and thought that was too much for old games.
>Missed out on really expanding my library.

I wish I could of known how wrong I was back then.
>>
>>4185454
The Saturn I got when I was 10 still works just fine.

The discs sometimes need a bit of a scrubbing but the console itself is fine.

I was just going through my Sonic games for the system.
>>
I have a Saturn that doesn't read discs. I even ordered a replacement laser for it but it is still sitting on my 'to do some day' pile. The only game I have that looks like it may work is Clockwork Knight.
>>
>>4179080
Nobody said it was 100% compatible, I said that everything that is worth playing, will run.

I used to do compatibility lists back in 2007 or so, and from memory it ran around 80% of games fine from start to finish with insignificant issues (like "one instrument in the intro tune is off") at worst, 10% worked but had some bug that made them unplayable (or unenjoyable), and 10% refused to run. Maybe two or three games only ran fine on one or two specific version (Astal and Croc, iirc, but Croc is fucked on the real hardware too)

However those numbers were inaccurate, due to things like a PAL game that didn't work and had 8 different language, inflating the values for broken titles.

Beyond that it also emulated multiple hardware revisions accurately, you could toggle between old and new models, that had Outrun and Space Harrier broken.
>>
>>4186306
Man, making compatibility lists must be a hell of a chore. Kudos to you.

That said, even a few games that run perfectly fine have random hangups or freezes. Someone posted above about Blue Destiny, and I concur. Sometimes the game plays for 5 hours straight without any issues, others it will show a black screen after 1 minute of play.
>>
>>4186312
>Man, making compatibility lists must be a hell of a chore. Kudos to you.

It only used to be 12 years ago when you had to test games yourself and update your website yourself.

Today you set up a wiki and post it on emulator forums and that's that.
>>
>>4177283
Why are u having a hard time?
>>
Which models break the most?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.