[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is there such an emphasis on passing down the "touch"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

File: ku-xlarge.jpg (101KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ku-xlarge.jpg
101KB, 640x360px
why is there such an emphasis on passing down the "touch" of retro gaming to younger generations? almost every normalfag/e-celeb I see talks about how much it warms their heart to see young children playing their games. it's just like the new star wars movies
>>
>>4177169
The kids would rather play smartphone games, believe me
>>
>>4177169
>wake up
>check /vr
>someone made a thread about touching kids
god damnit you guys
>>
>>4177175
TOPkek
>>
because new games sucks
>>
I don't get it either, children secretly hate it and they only pretend to like old shit to win the approval of their fathers.
>>
Ego-maniacal disorders. Humans in general have them.
Making kids play old vidya isn't even that bad, there's far worse stuff.
>>
It's the belief that children scoff at what we grew up with in deference to superficial things like GRITTYBROWN SHOOTAN and online play. That games now are shallow compared to what we started with and the true essence of video games will be lost without a younger audience championing things like complexity and challenge.
>>
>>4177192
Really you think something like Dork Soles or ASSFAGGOTS is more superficial than bing bing wahoo 1-up dodododo dododoo Mario Brothers? How fucking delusional can you be.
>>
>>4177183
You sucks.
>>
Pushback against the wildly destructive ethos that something is better simply because it is newer.
>>
If you like something you want to share it. How simple is that?
>>
>>4177169
Makes them feel like less of a loser if they see people younger than them also throwing their lives away on something so stupid. A lot of it just boils down to remorse and regret for not getting out and doing more with their life.
>>
>>4177251
Hipsters also just want to share their stuff, yet you hate them.
>>
>>4177287
Says you.
>>>/bant/
>>>/v/
>>>/b/
>>
>>4177310
Hit too close home?
>>
>thread on /v/ the other day
>an Anon (probably underage) was posting the list of all games he played
>there were only 200 games
>no Tetris
>no Street Fighter
>no Sonic
>no Final Fantasy
>no Castlevania
>no Zelda
>no Pac-Man
>no Tekken
>only two Japanese games in the whole list
>mfw
>>
File: k goes fishing.gif (1017KB, 320x216px) Image search: [Google]
k goes fishing.gif
1017KB, 320x216px
>>4177315
>I am educated enough to determine who is a loser or not on this site objectively.
Lol no you are not, oh bantard douche.
>>
>>4177373
Yes, you're hurt. It's okay, brah, give me a hug.
>>
>>4177384
>I'm hurt
How'd you even fucking know that anyway?

Here's my last (You) from me.
>>
>>4177391
Thank god you've stopped replying. Godspeed, bro.
>>
>>4177227
A lot of people here are super delusional, elitist and blinded by nostalgic/arrested development. I love retro games too but good and complex games didn't suddenly stopped being made after your childhood like a lot of /vr/ users seem to believe.
>>
>>4177169

I'm 28 and my brother just turned 14. He couldn't care less about my retro collection or playing any old game with me even though I tried many times inviting him. He prefers to watch youtubers playing minecraft, GTA V, or any hot game of the moment. He also never finished a single game in his entire life despite my efforts and the only thing he plays are online shooters like battlefield 3 and rainbow six siege on PC. I'm afraid he is a normie.
>>
e-celebs are inherently narcissistic people so it warms their heart to see people acting like themselves.
>>
>>4177169
There's a guy here who uses video games to lure children into his rape dungeon so he can touch them.
My kids enjoy playing old games and it's nice to play together.
>>
>>4177423
Your dad needed to take your mom down to pound town about 12 years earlier bro.
>>
>>4177423
It's not that he doesn't like retro. It's more that he doesn't like video games.
>>
>>4177174
>>4177185
Say what you want. But you can take a raspberry pi, plug in 4 controllers, boot up TMNT Arcade and put it in front of a group of kids and watch them become mesmerized by a 28 year old game and then tell me they hate it.
>>
My kid likes Spyro because of Skylanders. I put an emulator on his tablet and he definitely plays it sometimes. He likes the arcade too. Street Fighter 2 and Vs Super Mario Brothers are his favorites there
>>
>>4177340
While there's history there I mean
>street fighter
>final fantasy
>pac-man
>tekken
Eh... Honestly not missing that much. Granted SF2 is sort of the reigning classic 2D fighter and Tekken is the classic 3D fighter. Fighting games in general are kind of crap. You can basically pick most fighting games, especially today and get the core buggy collision box and samey ass game roughly. Sure the balance won't be the same and the characters identical but it's experience wise most fighters haven't largely strayed from the formula or gotten much better.
Pac-man is fun for two minutes unless you have a serious hard on for pattern matching and route mapping it gets old quick.
FF is Generic JRPG crap. The real old ones are especially bad at what they do though and if you were going to play FF1/2 it'd be better to go the GBA route at the very minimum where they stream line it, technically not the same since they change around mechanics a bit but you get the gist of it without every fucking menu taking an hour to click through. Like fighters the genre has a few oddities but has refused to progress much, largely any JRPG is mostly sufficient to get what FF had to offer and neither of their classic games really offer anything unique or superior excellence to make them necessary titles. Picking up a modern SF or Tekken would do you just well if not better.
>>
>>4177185
I didn't hate my dad when he gave me his Atari 2600, I was happy to have it and play all the good games he had
>>
>4178178
>raspberry pi for emulation
>>
>>4177169
It's just a nice way of spending time with your kid. Granted, the 30 year old manchildren on this board who think video games and comic books are made for them revolt at this idea of kids playing the games they play, while bonding with their parents. This is a foreign idea to them.
>>
There's some dude named Esteban on the pcefx forums who forces his 5 year old daughter to play shitty obscure pc engine games. It's disturbing
>>
>>4177340
>all this weeb consoleshit
Kid probably has some taste.
>>
>>4177169
Normalfags: They do it to share a pastime with their children and the next generation sorta like taking your son out to a baseball game
E-celebs: Attention-whoring

>>4177340
>>>/v/
>>
>>4179091
Lost on your way to /v/eddit?
>>
I don't even know if I would want my kids to play video games at all. The more I think about it, the more I think it's time wasted.
>>
>>4177373
Hate to break it to you bud, but there are no "objective" losers.
>>
>>4179117
/vr/ is very reddit lately with the 5th gen console war shit.
>>
>>4179124
All time is wasted and if you actually cared about wasted time the first place to look is work.
>>
>>4179552
I've never been to Reddit, do they console war a lot too?
I've been noticing the shift is finally happening, 5th gen is now the "first system I played" generation for majority of people online, the other day I saw a SNES thread here on /vr/, OP asked about memories regarding getting the SNES back in the day, and every reply was people saying they weren't born yet in the early 90s and that they got intro retro gaiming in the 2000s.
I mean, it can't be helped, time and life goes on, nothing stays the same, but I still feel 5th gen to be modern-ish.
>>
To make you look cool and edgey on the internet when you bitch about it.
Damn kids, always complaining.
>>
>>4177169
My brother wont let his kids touch video games outside of keeping them quiet on smart phone games we he needs to. Hes got them into sports and martial arts so probably better for them in the end.
>>
>>4177169
Because normalfags and e-celebs are cancer. My girlfriend and I always joke about how bad modern TV/kid culture is, to the point where we say our kids will only be allowed to watch "good stuff" but that's an awful thing to do to a kid. You gotta let them experience the life of their generation. Just raise them well enough so that they know to not just choke it all down like a herd of sheep.
>>
>>4177183
This should be the /vr/ slogan. Somebody make a banner!
>>
>>4178178
He didn't say they hate old games, he said they prefer them Sure they'll have fun with TMNT. But not the way they have fun with Minecraft. Kids these days are obsessed with that game. Heck if I had virtual legos in a massive exploitable world like that I probably would have been too.
>>
File: homerperfection.png (293KB, 585x318px) Image search: [Google]
homerperfection.png
293KB, 585x318px
>>4180717
>>
>>4177421
Right, I get shit on if I mention a lot of modern indie games do this quite right. There are still tons of good games coming out, just you have to put effort into sorting them out from the shit ones. It's like they want a "hidden gems" for current games.
>>
File: 1502028804158.png (129KB, 1468x908px) Image search: [Google]
1502028804158.png
129KB, 1468x908px
>>4179091
This is the actual list posted by the /v/ guy.

All the games he played in his entire life, ranked from best to worst.

Have fun.
>>
File: cosmic coon.jpg (171KB, 460x951px) Image search: [Google]
cosmic coon.jpg
171KB, 460x951px
>>4180859
Oh come on, anon. Think about it: this lil bastard is just like WE used to be, playing every game we could get our greasy little fingers on and bragging about which ones we beat.
Sucks it's alllllllllll new shit, but he'll find the old shit sometime.
>>
>passing the olympic """touch"""
>>
Bratty, spoiled kids from a rich or even a middle income family probably could care less about retro games.

As someone said it they'd rather be hip following Youtubers, playing anything from Roblox to Minecraft, GMOD to GTAV, or other memeshit like all the shitty FNAF stuff.

These kids have smartphones, consoles or at least a decent family computer.

Now if we're talking about some not-so-fortunate kids, with crappy phones or maybe none at all, mom's kitchen junk PC or a old bro's laptop..

Those kids would still follow some Youtube gaming shit, but doesn't have anything powerful enough to play even the last gen titles.

These kind of unfortunate kids would love retro shit. They'd probably have tonnes of emulators and roms on their passed down laptops.
>>
>>4180874
But 200 games is nothing, even by 90s standards (and assuming the person is not 8 years old). So by today's standards where you download games for free, and by thousands, it's ridiculous.

Also the guy was so close-minded, he flat out told us "I don't want to play old games, console games, or Japanese games".
>>
>>4180754
That and roblox.

It's not the graphics kids really care about, that's something you gain after playing a lot of games. It's really just what your friends are playing. Minecraft and roblox look like shit, but the kids love it and they can talk to other kids about it.
>>
>>4177174
This

Past generations are just unwilling to admit they were snot nosed consumerists when they were their age too
>>
>>4177398
No I'm still replying. I'm not him though.
>>
>>4181440
200 games is a fuck ton
>>
Kids are going to want to play whatever their friends are playing.
They're going to be the dork in school if they're playing NES games when everyone else is talking about virtual reality headsets or whatever.
They can't use videogames to connect with other kids if they're not playing the same games.

They're not going to develop their own tastes until they're in their late teens. And I guarantee it's going to be something you don't approve of.
>>
>>4178258
Yeah, Tekken has never changed so that once you learn a character you're pretty much good to go forever other than learning new small things. And SFIV was designed to play just like SF2 but with the focus attack.

But lumping all fighting games together like that, you clearly haven't put any time into the genre at all...of course all games in a genre are similar, that's why they're in the same genre. And in general games with radical differences to their genre norms don't get adopted as easily because they're harder to learn, see Virtua Fighter...it's too damn hard for most people to get into so it's basically dead.
>>
>>4184215
Maybe if you're a teenager...by the time I got out of high school I had about that many games on PS2 alone, not to mention all the consoles I had from previous gens.
>>
File: 1502231778207.png (345KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502231778207.png
345KB, 640x480px
>>4177169
Because if you don't know about the past, any scumbag with a flashy suit and a shiiiiny smile can trick naive, impressionable childrens into buying alllll sorts of low quality, slap together, cash grab (but prettier) imitations of greater products that were once the standard.
>"....no such thing as old material, just new audiences..."
>>
>>4177185
I have nephews and nieces ranging from 2 to 13 and they all love older games. It's damn hard to pull the boys away from Bomberman (emulated on the Wii). My oldest enphew also loves to play Serious Sam over the home network with me.
>>
With so many indie games being made now with pixelized graphics, and even low=poly 3D in some cases, can you really argue that there's any sort of stigma against older games in such an environment?
>>
File: 672800053_010.jpg (17KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
672800053_010.jpg
17KB, 320x180px
>>4185982
Yeah, but not much has changed, really. We're just in some weird space right now.
>"Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed colleagues, I'll conclude with this. Our very future depends on one thing."
>"Tachyons."
>" Subatomic particles that move so incredibly fast, they actually travel back in time."
>" Ask yourself, what if there was a device that could harness these tachyons? We could open and travel through warps in time and space.
>"What's that"
>Not in our lifetime?"
>"My friends such such devices have been designed."
>"I give to you: EVERY CONSOLE, MOBILE DEVICE, EMU BOX, LAPTOPS AND PC."
>"Genius in your hands."
>"Only with these devices, you don't travel forwards or backwards."
>"You travel sideways in time to another dimension where past, present and future all meet."
>"Annnd lights"
And it's still the same arguments. Pc over console, retro vs. super retro, pc verses everything else, nintendo vs. sega vs playstation vs. sega again vs. turbo grphx 16. Rpg vs. Action rpg vs. tac rpg vs. strat rpg vs. fuggin everything rpg now.
And NOW damn near close to what everyone wanted in VR since the holodeck and The Lawnmower man.
Close.
We can see it, just not there yet.
Not complaining though. We're living the dream, as long as we can afford it. I have a 3ds, pstv, ps3, wii, and a barely functioning, but working xbox 360. Wii and xbox be used, but everything else was collected over a longish period of time (cause poor fag). Literal lifetime of gaming availible to me.
Long ass story short; too many options and not enough gamers from back in the day grew up to be game creators.
Pretty sure we'd be arguing less if more did...
I know I've thought of a few ideas and mechanics that've popped up over the years.
>>
I live in a secluded cabin in upstate NY, educating my three Aryan children with the knowledge of the vast Western literary canon. We live off the wild game here, raccoons and their ilk. Sitting by the fireside, I stroke my youngest daughter's thin golden hair. Appeasing her young frame. I tuck them all in with the sounds of nature in the background. Then I return to the living room, and jerk it to Lara Croft's knife tits.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (8KB, 172x246px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
8KB, 172x246px
>>4186227
So, when are you making your ripoff of Krazy Kreatures.
>Krazy Koloured Kucks
>>
>>4184367
Okay, so you're a richfag NEET but for anyone else 200 games IS a fuckton. I'm 21 and I own maybe 250 games total, so I've played probably 300-350 games in my life, but that number definitely doesn't go up steadily since I don't have the time to keep playing games all day.
>>
File: 1502300709603.jpg (12KB, 210x229px) Image search: [Google]
1502300709603.jpg
12KB, 210x229px
>>4185968
>>
>>4180703
Does well on the sports.
Majorly fucks up letting them play smartphone trash
>>
>>4180703
Yeah, Chad's an asshole, but as a father he means well, at least.
>>
File: 1502511914822.gif (2KB, 138x264px) Image search: [Google]
1502511914822.gif
2KB, 138x264px
>>4184226
Youuuu've never met any retro gamers from back when, correct?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>4180761
Well, where do you you think you are, anon?
That pic is apt though.
APT!
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
>>4180874
>>4181440
>Also the guy was so close-minded, he flat out told us "I don't want to play old games, console games, or Japanese games".
>How'd I miss that. Muh spectacles! Again!!
That lil fucker.
Ah well, he'll get bored eventually and give it up.
>>
File: NES-4M-USA-427.png (9KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
NES-4M-USA-427.png
9KB, 256x240px
>>4184159
>Past generations are just unwilling to admit they were snot nosed consumerists when they were their age too
HEY!! The RICH kids were privvy to that privilege. The rest of us HAD to be smartish lil consumerino's. Especially when trying to convince our parents to buy our favourite gametapes.
>"If you don't like it, too bad. You're not getting another one."
Dear old Ma n' Pa.
>>
>>4177169
i never understood it
>>
I'm gonna do the same thing my dad did: show my son how to play Wolfenstein 3D when he is 3 and then Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil when he is about 6 or 7. See how well adjusted an adult he might become.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.