[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the best fifth gen 3D controller, /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: controllers.jpg (439KB, 1900x650px) Image search: [Google]
controllers.jpg
439KB, 1900x650px
What was the best fifth gen 3D controller, /vr/?
>>
>>4175912
DualShock. I like the N64 controller but it's pretty unwieldy. I've never tried the Saturn controller so I can't comment on that. But the DualShock's layout has stood the test of time and been standard for four console generations.
>>
Obvious bait, hardly anyone used that Saturn pad
>>
>>4175926
cant argue with this tbqh
>>
Probably a tie between N64 and Saturn.
N64 being my favorite due to best analog stick (yes, it wears out, but it's the most precise one, in fact I think it might be one of the most precise analog sticks period), Z trigger and 6 face buttons.
Saturn is pretty nice, the analog actually works great and the d-pad and buttons are what you'd expect from Sega Saturn. I also like the trigger-like L and R.
DualShock, I never really liked the analogs there, although I must credit Sony for doing dual analogs which was new then, anyway not that many PS1 games used them.
>>
>>4175926
>>4175947
It's just the Dual Analog controller. DualShock branding hadn't been introduced yet.
>>
>>4175912
Objectively the dualshock. The N64 controller is fine, but fails to stand the test of time thanks to having no second stick, the stick going loose very quickly, and the layout asking you to pick between control pad and stick, resulting in hardly any games using the L-button and D-pad. If you can't figure out how you're supposed to hold it you're either retarded or have never held the controller in person or both.

The dualshock's only major flaw is the mediocre d-pad. It also loses some points because Nintendo had an analog stick first and they looked over and said "hang on that's a good idea". Nintendo didn't get the benefit of hindsight and revising their controller layout after a year or two.
>>
>PS1
My personal favorite. Comfortable to the hands, and familiar enough to easily get into after the SNES. Dualshock is even more comfortable to me.

>Saturn
Hell of a lot better than N64, not as good feeling in the hands as PS1 to me.

>N64
Feels good when the center part goes up your boipussy. Other than that it's awkward as fucking a gnome.
>>
>>4175926
This, but I tried the Saturn controller and I loved it.
>>
I remember the manual for N64 suggesting there would be games that would use the controller with the left and middle prongs. Did that ever happen? I can't think of any game it would be possible in.
>>
N64 controller was best for 3d platform with auto camera angle but dualshock is grate for every game with free camera angle.
>>
>>4175912
>But the DualShock's layout has stood the test of time and been standard for four console generations.
Well, the same could be said for Sega's design (NiGHTS -> DC -> Xbox -> 360 -> Xbone).
>>
>>4176029
It would make sense for a game with movement, 3d camera, and one action button.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 325x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 325x250px
>>4175912
3D? PS1 by far.
>>
>>4175912
DS1 and it's not even close.
>>
>>4175912
Saturn's is the comfiest. PSX is too cramped and N64 is too strange. I also hate the stick placement and the way the handles are angled on Sony's controllers.
>>
As a die-hard Nintendo fan, I can tell you that the best 5th gen controller is the PS1, because it's just a blatant rip of the SNES controller, the best one of all time.
>>
>>4176167
Not much of a rip-off when it improves on it.
>>
File: arro.png (84KB, 200x205px) Image search: [Google]
arro.png
84KB, 200x205px
>>4176245
>improves on it
>can't even get the d-pad right
>>
>>4175912
By the way thats NOT a DUALSHOCK controller in this pic. Its the DUAL ANALOG controller. All three pictured were shit.
>>
You forgot the best analog controller desu.
>>
>>4176770
Fuck you, I just came to post this.
>>
>>4176627
It's better? Original PS1 controller and every DS/SixAxis controller after always had the best d-pad ever made.
>>
>>4176029
Goldeneye solitaire control style
>>
>>4175960
You can fix the stick going loose. I mean, you have to have a one that's not loose yet to do this, but if you lube up the bowl, it stays good practically forever. Mine are still doing great.
>>
>>4175960
>but fails to stand the test of time thanks to having no second stick
That's irrelevant because barely any games that generation used DS's second stick
>>
>>4176167
>be Sony
> be building new system for Nintendo
>Nintendo tells you to fuck off
>still have creative rights over shit you made
>release it as your own
>Nintendo faggots BTFO forever

And I'm not even a huge Sony fan
>>
>>4176773
That's what I call being a hardcore Sony fanboy.
>>
>>4176947
I don't think there's really any official source of what really happened between Nintendo and Sony about the SNES SuperCD, most of the things we know ("Nintendo told Sony to fuck off!", "Sony wanted 100% of disc-based game profits!") are all from western journalism, so take it with a huge gran of salt. Also, Sony wasn't building a "new system" for Nintendo, the SuperCD is literally a SNES with a CD drive, it's more like an add-on, or an update on the SNES. I mean, I guess you could call it a new system, but not really. The PlayStation, however, is a completely different system and 100% by Sony.
That said, it wasn't even Nintendo that got "BTFO", the guy that had to exit the console market was Sega.
>>
>>4175912
any analog stick not made of rubber loses instantly
>>
>>4176805
Thank you
People that complain about goldeneye dont know shit about solitaire controls
>>
If I only own the standard Japanese Saturn controller am I missing out by not having the 3d controller
>>
>>4175926
I'm pretty sure the N64 controller is responsible for my present arthritis
>>
>>4178370
you are especially if the game supports it.
just buy it already instead of being a cheapass.
>>
There needs to be a Dualshock controller that can be recognized as a NeGcon
>>
Even though I liked N64 games more, the controller was always strange and wonky to me, even as a kid.

Ps1 / Dualshock controller was better.
>>
File: Cz6N--4XUAIVesl.jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cz6N--4XUAIVesl.jpg
64KB, 800x600px
>>4176770
N64 had one of these as well, my brother actually bought one.

It was neat, but clunky and hard to use for most games.
>>
>>4176770
I thought no one will post this one. I still dream about one
>>
I liked the N64 as a kid, but having had every console since I can say it's pretty bad in retrospect. The controller wasn't well thought out, and the analog stick is just so fragile. I really like the original PS1 controller, and the DS1. I don't really have any experience with Sega consoles outside of DC and Genesis, so I can't comment on the Saturn pad. If I'm being totally honest, the XBox Duke is probably my favorite controller, I've always really liked it and I can't quite put my finger on why. I think it has something to do with the recessed triggers.
>>
>>4185237
I think the N64 controller is pretty well thought out though.
But yeah it has the problem of the stick getting looser over time.
>>
>>4175912
Marry Saturn
Fuck DA
Kill N64
>>
>>4185667
>>>/v/
>>
>>4175956
>DualShock branding hadn't been introduced yet.

It was.
Sony did an analog pad first, then a rumble pad, then the Dual Shock which had both. This was circa 1998 from memory.
>>
The PS1 controller. Trying to replace few games on the n64 is a chore due to how uncomfortable the controller fits in my hands. I'm not even meming the whole 'ebic three hands lmao" garbage. It is a genuinely uncomfortable controller. Never used either Saturn pad so can't compare.
>>
>>4175912
This
>>
>>4186962
Who let this kid over near the adult's table?
>>
>>4176814
That
That's why he said the test of time, anon. The N64 controller is effectively nonexistant, the dualshock's still around
>>
>>4178370
If I remember right there's a handful of games that can't even be played with the regular controller, so yes.
>>
File: s-l1600 (2).jpg (245KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (2).jpg
245KB, 1200x1600px
>>4180380
>>
>>4185678
The JDM Dual-Analog had a single motor which was removed from the western release. It can be retro-fitted if desired as the contacts remain on the PCB.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/104507-single-shock-dual-analog-pad-adding-rumble-to-sonys-dual-analog/

>rumble pad
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: stick.jpg (10KB, 300x224px)
stick.jpg
10KB, 300x224px
>>4186991
This is real SONY dual analog controller before They steal all good idea from N64 controller to own. what is better? every one know. SONY can make better thing by steal every thing from Nin and Sega. If Nintendo make new better N64 controller SONY will copy it again and again forever.
>>
>>4186828
Nintendo try to make gamepad who can switch between D-pad and analog stick perfectly and can switch right hand control analog stick like PC mouse to play FPS.
Yes Nintendo away have 2 problem 1.No money to add 2 analog stick 2.Player in that time not ready to use 2 analog stick together ever on PS1 too.
>>
>>4187174
>TURB0

why
>>
>>4187265
Looks good for Arcade ports.
>>
I have a question related to this thread.

I've used a Sixaxis for a few years, one that I bought used and bothered to clean thoroughly. After a while I got really used to it, I don't have to push much for it to register anything. Only issue is that the left stick doesn't really stay too neutral and those sticks are hella loose, not gonna lie. In any case it also feels cheap overall.

So I decide to check up on eBay for an official PSOne gamepad so I can play some of that again on the actual console. I found a refurbished one on eBay that pretty much had 20 fixes done to it, basically to make it look like a brand new gamepad.

Sure enough I receive the thing and it doesn't have even a teeny tiny scratch at all, it looks new in every aspect. The Sixaxis feels very cheap in comparison, while every button in this feels really tight. That's very good and all, but I noticed that I have to press somewhat slightly harder than what it seems would be necessary for anything to register. Is this normal? I thought that since only dualshock 2 onwards have these "pressure sensors" or whatever it is, this would need less force to register, not more. I guess this gets better with use? Or did I look for the wrong gamepad here and PSOne models are crappy?
>>
>>4187174
>d-pad
RIP
>>
>>4176029
Sin & Punishment did. Move with d-pad, aim with stick, jump with L, shoot with Z.
>>
File: poop.png (56KB, 300x261px)
poop.png
56KB, 300x261px
>>4175912
Imagine if N64 and its games didn't come out that gen. Those other clowns initially still had fucking D-pads for 3D games rather than analog sticks -- that's how shallow their understanding of 3D vidya was and you can see the results with games like Crash. Still running with 2D design philosophy rather than having true 3D freedom and movement with games designed for analog sticks.

N64 with its analog stick and games like Mario 64 (especially so) and OoT showed all the other retards how to fucking do 3D games properly. And then idiots try to claim that these aren't easily two of the most important video games ever made because they're trying to hipster contrarians, when really all it does is show what a massive idiot you are.

Seriously just imagine if Nintendo wasn't there that gen and we went the whole way through with pic related and 3D games designed for D-pads rather than analogs. What a gigantic pile of shit it would have all been.
>>
>>4188031
Bangai-O did as well. Move with d-pad, aim/shoot with the analog.
You can also shoot with the c-buttons, but it feels a lot better to shoot with the analog. My first playthrough I couldn't get used to it, but on my 2nd I actually got it, and now I can't go back to any other control scheme.
>>
File: stop.jpg (27KB, 487x365px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
27KB, 487x365px
ANYTHING BUT THE N64 CONTROLLER

FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>4175912
PlayStation. PS controllers are still kings.
>>
>>4188047

>Huurrrr muh nintendo

Lets not forget Nintendo fucked up EVERY console since n64 not counting handhelds (although they somehow got away with releasing outdated hardware every fucking time), sure, they had some good ideas (wii motion controls) which are almost completely forgotten now. And on the subject - if N64 controller was good Nintendo wouldn't change controller design every time they released a new console. And in the end they copied xbox controller layout. Nintendo are just assholes with asshole fanbase. And I consider some of Nintendo games the best pieces ever released.
>>
I'm inclined to say DualShock but the dpad was god awful
>>
>>4188293

It's really not that bad when you get used to it. Nowadays I use only ds4 for everything including retro games and it's really fine. But I was never a big fan of fighting games so for these it might not be as good, I don't know.
>>
The non-analog Saturn pad was the best controller ever made.

Analog, on the other hand, was merely really good. PS1=Saturn here.
>>
>>4188061
Ever played Beerio Kart? The N64 is the only contoller that allows you to drink with one hand and drive (and use power ups) with the other.
>>
>>4188337

So you played a game using an analog stick and a shoulder button, you can easily do it with a dual shock.
>>
DualShock. I love the button placement and even like the segmented d-pad that everyone gripes about.
>>
>>4175912
N64 makes my thumbs bleed and Saturn is an unholy abomination
>>
None of them. I'm serious, the controllers of that era were fucking garbage.
>>
>>4188589
Dualshock isn't garbage. And I'm not saying that as a praise, it's good and functional in the sense that it's conventional and paved the way for the future, alongside the Xbox 360 controller, which I guess has some Dreamcast DNA as well. If your complaint is about the concave or convex analogs, then you actually had the choice of both during 5th gen.
>>
>>4176773
absolutely delusional
>>
>>4175912
I like the Saturn controller the best, but the DualShock is objectively the best.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.