[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

packing retro games/consoles to move across the country

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (221KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
221KB, 1920x1080px
hey guys. im packing up all my shit and moving from the midwest to the west coast for a new job. if any of you have similar experience with moving a retro collection i'd love to know any packing tips or things that'll make the process go smoothly with as minimal damage as possible. we've hired a moving service to take care of all the lifting and shit, then we're flying there seperate, fyi.

i'd be interested to know how to wrap/pack consoles with what materials, how to pack jewel cases vs dvd case style games vs cib cart games, etc. how to pack controllers and fight sticks, shit like that.

ive got about 20 consoles including non retro, and roughly 500 games, 60ish controllers/peripherals.

thanks in advance for any help guys
>>
oh also, if anyone is interested, i have some extra consoles that are either broken or i dont use them anymore. i'll give them to anyone for free if they just pay the shipping/packing costs. they include two ps1s (launch model and later model), a psone (broken, but modchip included lol), broken snes, broken super famicom, and a working wii (homebrewed and ready for retro emulation, etc). if anyone's interested i'll make a gmail to do business thru.

just feels wrong to throw them away solely because theyre broken. someone might be able to fix them or use them for parts, and i just dont know anyone that'd want the working stuff.
>>
I dont have nearly as much stuff as you. But i move quite often. Only stuff of mine that got broke where figurines that where gifts and i didn't care for that much anyway.

All in can say is i bought heavy duty plastic boxes with good lids on for moving and just stored everything in those. Cheap plastics ones will break.

Also ebay is good for getting rid of broken stuff.
>>
>>4175069
what part is broken on the psone? if the laser is still fine i'd like to cannibalize it since the laser in mine just died.
>>
>>4175081
i believe the laser is good. when trying to install the chip i burnt off a capacitor since im not the best at soldering. so it wont read games at all at this point and the laser just went on my personal working psone so i cant really check for you.

however, i replaced the laser one my ps1 i keep hooked up to my setup with this and it works amazing. apparently works on psone models too. been meaning to buy one to fix my personal psone. i highly recommend if all you need is a laser.

https://www.amazon.com/KSM-440BAM-Laser-Drive-PlayStation-Repair-Parts/dp/B00CW5NMXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502127667&sr=8-1&keywords=ps1+laser
>>
>>4175078
that's exactly my plan, going to walmart to grab some today actually. did you use any sort of packing peanuts or bubblewrap? i bought both on prime just in case.

also eventually i will list the stuff on ebay, just thought i might check and see if anyone here would want it since i know it'll go to a good home here.
>>
>>4175085
that link looks promising, unfortunately im a cheap bastard so $20 for just the laser is a bit too much.
>>
File: 603311.jpg (194KB, 850x840px) Image search: [Google]
603311.jpg
194KB, 850x840px
moving cartons and old papers, or if you want to spent money lots of bubble wrap.
4-6 consoles per large moving carton, individually wrapped, with lots of space inbetween, filled with crumbled papers, or bubble wrap. Games much the same, 10" stacks of games wrapped individually, then fill cartons with packs, space filled with papers inbetween. Same goes for controllers and peripherals. Make sure packed stuff isn't touching the sides of the boxes.
>>
>>4175067
Every time I moved, I had the jewell cases wraped in clean film, the consoles where inside their original boxes, and the controllers wraped in bubble wrap.
>>
>>4175086
I just packed the games pretty tightly and they where fine. Consoles i put in smaller card board boxes. I imagine bullble wrap will do the same
>>
>Letting a moving company handle your shit
Yeah, OP, you'll be lucky to find it at all, let alone in the condition you packed it in.
>>
>>4175094
>Make sure packed stuff isn't touching the sides of the boxes.

What happens if they touch the sides of the box?
>>
>>4175412
it's just less stress on my girlfriend and me and roughly the same price as renting a u-haul, buying gas, lodging, etc anyway. plus it comes with full insurance so that's also a bonus.

>>4175094
amazing info anon. exactly what i was looking for. wrapping the jewel cases in 10" bundles wont crack any of them, and what about for big box jewel cases (na saturn, early ps1)? those are extremely fragile so im considering wrapping those individually since i dont have too many of them.

>>4175157
what type of clean film do you mean, like plastic wrap?

>>4175171
>consoles in smaller boxes
do you think this is a safer method than wrapping them in bubble wrap and throwing them in the big plastic bins filled with packing peanuts?

>>4175429
those are the places that take the impact of a hit. so if your shit is in the impact zone around the walls, it's more likely to be damaged.
>>
>>4175069
I'm interested in the SNES for parts. And possibly the Wii as well. What's your email?
>>
>>4175512
Don't let a moving company touch your stuff if you care about it. Otherwise why even make this thread? If you can't handle a little stress of driving a few hours you are a bitch. You clearly don't care much about your games.

I have never met a moving company that didn't fuck at least one item up. Along with several boxes.
>>
I moved from the East Coast to California and back with a bunch of consoles and other tech equipment. I packed pretty much everything in 18x18x16 moving boxes. Wrapped up all the consoles in butcher paper so that they wouldn't scratch, packed the boxes like tetris so that there was no room for anything to move around, and then stuffed all the gaps with soft stuff like towels, dish rags, blankets, etc.
I used some bubble wrap on things that seemed especially fragile like monitors, but it doesn't really seem like it was worth it IMO. Everything that was just wrapped in paper and packed tightly with padding in between stayed together just fine.

Individual games I packed snugly into smaller boxes or containers (fitting everything tightly so it wouldn't shake around) and then I packed those containers into the moving boxes along with everything else.
The only stuff I had that got damaged in the move (over 3000 miles in one of those shipping pods) was furniture too big to fit in boxes. My desk, chairs, tables, etc. were covered in scratches even though I bubble wrapped them, but as far as I can recall all electronics were fine. Luckily old consoles are pretty hardy machines, physically.

>>4175847
Sometimes it's physically impossible. I drove across the US with stuff in my car, but I still needed a moving company to carry the rest of it. It was definitely cheaper than like, throwing out all my furniture and replacing it would have been.
>>
>>4175067
MAKE SURE TO NOT LABEL THEM

MOVERS WILL STEAL ANYTHING THAT IS LABELLED AS ELECTRONICS OR ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCTS 100% OF THE TIME

ONLY CRIMINALS AND LOWLIVES GET JOBS AS MOVERS
>>
>>4175069
>xtra consoles that are either broken or i dont use them anymore. i'll give them to anyone for free if they just pay the shipping/packing costs. they include two ps1s (launch model and later model), a psone (broken, but modchip included lol), broken snes, broken super famicom, and a working wii (homebrewed and ready for retro emulation, etc). if anyone's interested i'll make a gmail to do business thru.
>
>just feels wrong to throw them away solely because theyre broken. someone might be able to fix them or use them for parts, and i just dont know anyone that'd want the working stuff.

I'd gladly pay shipping for the wii, mine's been having issues.
>>
>>4175863
Are you retarded? You should watch them put the stuff in your shipping container and then lock it with your own lock.

I've never had a mover steal anything from me and you won't either if you aren't dumb about it.
>>
take photos of all your stuff, could be useful for insurance issues if needed.
>>
>>4175880
Second that, also helps with remembering where you packed shit.
>>
>>4175069
I'll take the broken super Famicom depending on how much shipping is. Email?
>>
I'm this person: >>4175836
If OP reads this, >>4175872 can have the Wii since he needs it. I'm still interested in the SNES though!
>>
>>4175067
I would take that launch edition PS1 if your still interested.

As far as the packing goes, those packing air bags or pouches work great for stabilizing things in a box, a few of those between some of your consoles would allow you to pack them with each other. Same goes for the jewel cases, although bubble wrap may work better for those. And like others have said, movers can be sketchy, so be careful with labeling your shit.
>>
>>4175836
cool. the email is "[email protected]". just let me know which consoles you're interested in.

>>4176045
at the moment i'm not totally sure how expensive shipping will be, email is above in this post and we can work out shipping details there.

>>4176576
cool, no problem!

>>4176717
yup still interested, either ps1 may need a laser adjustment/replacement so keep that in mind. otherwise, in good condition.

>>4175860
perfect info anon. when you say you packed the boxes like tetris you mean you packed as much video game shit in them as possible right? then just filled the rest of the space with towels/bubblewrap/etc?

good to know about large furniture though, as we're getting rid of most of our big furniture since we arent attached to any of it and it's too much money/trouble to move.

>>4175880
yup, documenting everything for insurance purposes
>>
>>4176912
>when you say you packed the boxes like tetris you mean you packed as much video game shit in them as possible right? then just filled the rest of the space with towels/bubblewrap/etc?
Yes. I mean I put things in the boxes such that they filled the entire space. If you pick the box up and shake it you shouldn't hear anything moving around.
>>
>>4176045
i just pulled the super famicom out of my shit closet and forgot that a buddy of mine i tried giving it to hacked it up to try to fit snes carts in the case (do not ask me why, i rightfully cursed him out). so if you want the sfc specifically for the shell, you may not be any longer interested lol

>>4175860
also glad someone on this board understands that moving cross country isnt as simple as packing all your shit in a jetta and hitting the open fucking road

>>4176921
cool, exactly what i figured. would you recommend cardboard boxes for this kind of thing at about the size you mentioned, or the bigger plastic bins with removable lids?
>>
>>4176928
I packed some things in the plastic bins, but the problem with them is that they have tapered sides, so you can't really "tetris" stuff into them as well.
They are good for heavy things though. You can't put too much heavy stuff in a cardboard box if you don't want it to rip (use plenty of packing tape to minimize that risk though). A related tip is to put something big at the bottom of the box to give it something of a floor. For example in one of my boxes I packed a huge laserdisc player at the bottom, which nicely filled up the space and gave me a stable surface to support everything else.
>>
>>4175863
I've always just labeled my boxes with numbers, and then have a separate paper with in depth breakdown of whats in each box by number, not only is this safe for box privacy, but it always means the boxes can be reused with another master sheet of paper at any time.
>>
>>4176943
gotcha. i'll take note of that, as of now i probably will be using the big plastic bins exclusively for my record collection at this point. maybe some other electronic odds and ends too. the weighted floor in the box is a great idea though, i'll def try to work some things out like that.

>>4176954
great minds think alike, that was my plan exactly!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.