[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

8-bit Sonic 1 and 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 8bit_sonic1.jpg (93KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
8bit_sonic1.jpg
93KB, 1366x768px
I'm interested in trying these games out, would you recommend them? Is it weird that they released Sonic games on the Master System after the Megadrive/Genesis was already a thing? Also, where can I get the Master System versions? Because I don't want the screen-crunch of the gamegear versions.
>>
I recommend the Sonic 1 hack with fm sound
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRwpcV9_30
>>
>>4174913

I'm not really a romhack kind of guy, I don't know how to do it.
>>
>>4174883
1 is pretty fucking good, 2 is meh. Don't play them on a gotta go fast mode tho.
>>
>>4174883
>Is it weird that they released Sonic games on the Master System after the Megadrive/Genesis was already a thing?
No, not really. Sega directly supported the Master System up to 1995 or 6.
>>
>>4175151

Did Nintendo do that with the NES?
>>
>>4175172
I don't know. The Master System was the budget Mega Drive mostly, so all the big titles got MS ports. The model 2 was very cheap, usually with Sonic built in, but older models had Alex Kidd in Miracle World.
>>
>>4175172
NES lasted a lot too, but Master System case was probably because of Europe, Australia and Brazil.
>>
>>4175080
Other way around. Sonic 1 has a lot of shit tier stages like bridge zone's autoscroller and jungle zone's weird vertical stage, 2 is a bit more challenging and has actual Sonic-style level designs such as corkscrews and loop de loops. Only thing Sonic 1 has it beat is the OST.
>>
>>4175228
>bridge zone's autoscroller and jungle zone's weird vertical stage
Nothing wrong with those, bridge zone's autoscroller is even among my favourites.

2 is just dull, I beat it ONCE a shitload of years ago but no matter how much I can't bring myself to replay the whole game.
>>
Isn't the gamegear just a handheld version of the Master system, anyways? That's what I heard.
>>
>>4175283
It's pretty much the same, but with some different color palettes.

Which was dumb. They could have made a console adapter like the super game boy if it wasn't for that.
>>
>>4175181
I had the Master System MK2 with Sonic built in. We never had a mega drive because we couldn't afford it so had to play master system for several years.

Then we got a Sega Saturn.
>>
>>4175329
>built in

How did that work? Was it like if you had no cartridge in it than it played Sonic when you turned it on?
>>
>>4175427
Exactly that, yeah
>>
I only played the first one on master system. but the game is really good. go for it.
can't say anything about the second one tho
>>
>>4175283
Yes, but the GameGear's screen size fucked with the resolution, which leads to things like Sonic 2 having a notoriously difficult first boss.
>>
>>4174883
Best sanics, esp 1
>>
>>4175329
sup Fil?
>>
Such a good soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uazL8HejVJ8&list=PL6akIKaXBeU0Nghzgib7ujpDRxXpwgoHy&index=5
>>
>>4174883
For some reason Sega only releases the GG versions of sonic games on their shovelware compilations, but you can get the Master System versions on the Wii Virtual Console if you roll that way.
>>
>>4176096

Thank you. I didn't know it was available on Wii virtual console. Is it on anything else?
>>
>>4176124
Kega Fusion
>>
Sonic 1 is a really solid title. It's one of the best Game Gear/ Master System games out there imo. It's just generally a good time and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sonic 2 leans a little too heavily on stage gimmicks for my taste. Green Hills Zone 3 is absolutely infuriating. In general I feel like there's a lot more newbie traps and bullshit deaths in comparison to the first game. It's still one of the better 8 bit Sega platformers out there though.
>>
These games kick ass in their own right, i remember seeing the Master System version of Sonic 1 before the Megadrives version.

The third is probably the closest to a 16bit game with spindash and corkscrews and shit. It is an easy game, though.
>>
File: Cover_large.jpg (267KB, 600x828px) Image search: [Google]
Cover_large.jpg
267KB, 600x828px
Try out Chaos and Triple Trouble too if you get a chance. They're way different games than 1 and 2 but they're still super fun.
>>
>>4176557
Chaos is almost insultingly easy.
>>
>>4176567
Chaos is designed around the special stages. You have to look around into hidden areas to get enough rings to enter them, the main paths don't have enough.
>>
>>4176570
I've never had much trouble entering the special stages. The game tosses you way too many ring boxes for that to be much of an issue. That's also where you can accumulate a baffling amount of lives on a fairly regular basis.

Maybe the game is harder when you hunt for the emeralds. I haven't gotten around to doing that.
>>
>>4174913
That's plain awful
>>
>>4174913

Eww. Just sounds like a faulty Mega Drive, the original music is great already. If we're talking romhacks I'd be more interested in a hack that re-inserts Marble Zone seeing as some sprites and the music are already in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6T5pb9nhs
>>
>>4175172
I mean, Wario's Woods was '95 I think, but I don't know that NES was getting consistent releases after 1992.
>>
>>4175072
Download the ROM
Download the patch
Download LunarIPS
Run LunarIPS
Select the ROM
Select the patch

Now your ROM is patched you baby
>>
>>4174883
>>
>>4177681
That's too hard!
>>
How well known are these games? Because as a kid I never knew about it.
>>
Isn't it very short?
>>
>>4177976
Very well known wherever the Master System was popular.
>>
>>4174913
that sounds like ass. psg sounds better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1LJPaYA60Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3JKrFEv-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6T5pb9nhs

>>4174883
Sonic 1 is fantastic for either GG/SMS
Sonic 2 GG is impossible with the low resolution play SMS ver
you should also play Sonic Chaos / Tripple Trouble / Drift
>>
I enjoy the master system's Sonic 1 and 2's box art.
>>
File: king of ring.jpg (25KB, 275x238px) Image search: [Google]
king of ring.jpg
25KB, 275x238px
>>4178485
me 2
>>
>>4174883
>would you recommend them?
Yes. Those two games are very different but every bit as good as the Mega Drive games of the same name. I actually prefer the Master System ones. Unfortunately the third MS game, Sonic Chaos is not nearly as strong, it's clearly designed as a Game Gear game first and foremost and the MS version is, as a result, essentially the most pathetically easy game you will ever play.

>where can I get
Come on m8, you know where. The internet! You will find them so easily.
>>
Sonic 1 on SMS is one of my favourite games of all times and I've completed it untold amounts of times. There isn't a single bad music track in the game, the stages are varied, chaos emeralds throughout the stage instead of special stages was inspired, and that lightning stage. Just damn.

I fucking love Sonic SMS.
>>
>>4178467
Is drift really worth it?
>>
>>4179094
Drift games have great music but the racing is a little clunky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCneRP371nk
also play TAILS ADVENTURE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvkRzgNTzU
>>
>>4177578
Heh, I discovered the 8-bit Marble Zone music. The only sprites that remain from marble zone are the bat, present in the GG version but not SMS for some reason. There's nothing else left. I've been disassembling the game and do hope one day to restore Marble Zone to it.
>>
>>4178485
>>4178513
>>
File: Sonic_(8-bit)_game_gear_boxart.jpg (40KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_(8-bit)_game_gear_boxart.jpg
40KB, 250x350px
>>4179392
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.