[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You name a retro game you played recently.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: sds.jpg (132KB, 610x345px) Image search: [Google]
sds.jpg
132KB, 610x345px
First one is garbage today and the second one is pretty good even today.

1. Golden Eye
Shit controls, low fps. Modern gaming has ruined it for me.

2. Strife
Damn good gameplay with some dialogue options. Kinda reminds me of the elder scrolls games mixed with hexen gameplay.
>>
>"Dear Diary,"
>>
1. Strife
Poor graphics, built on an obsolete system, only popular now because of its rerelease a couple years back for hipster late-gen millennials

2. Golden Eye
For it's time excellent graphics and great fps, even in multiplayer. Plenty of strategy in single player while still being fast paced and exciting. Multiplayer continues to be the standard by which others are compared.
>>
>>4174815
>For it's time excellent graphics and great fps
>for it's time
There is your problem. golden Eye is absolute garbage today. That low framerate and how some missions make you shoot with literally just seeing a pixel on the screen is terrible.

>Poor graphics, built on an obsolete system
So like this entire board dedicated to obsolete systems and old graphics?
>>
>>4174829
Strife was built on an obsolete system ever for its time. It's like excusing an N64 game with NES graphics.
>>
>>4174829
>some missions make you shoot with literally just seeing a pixel on the screen

what?
>>
>>4174779
1. Sonic blast 3D is absolute garbage. I played it again recently for nostalgia and quit 20 min in.

2. PM2 is pretty good. People recommended here although it is literally a per breeding game in disguise.
>>
>>4174834
>Strife was built on an obsolete system ever for its time
>for its time
>You name a retro game you played recently.
Everyone is literally not reading the title. Everyone is saying for "it's time", but I played it recently and it was pretty good. I never played it back then b/c it was not even that well known.
>>4174835
... Have you actually played golden eye
>>
>>4174841
Sorry, for those of us who aren't 16 and played the games new, Strife was shit and Golden Eye was the greatest thing ever for years and years. It's hard imagining how underrated hipsters who didn't experience these titles in their prime will suddenly forgive a shit 1 slot save looks worse than older games it ripped off carp like Strife.

What you're really asking is for everyone to forget context and act like this is our first time playing the titles in 2017 too, and it's not that easy.
>>
>>4174841

Yes, I spent most of my youth playing the shit out of Goldeneye, so I haven't a clue what you're referring to.
>>
>>4174852
except I played golden eye when I was a kid... and it was gr8 back then, but now it is shit and almost literally unplayable. Sorry I don't have permanent nostalgia glasses that blind me from objectively, but like the first starfox the framerate is absolutely terrible, you constantly feel like that you are floating in jelly, and the controls are just bad compared to a normal mk fps today. The difference between me and you is that you are clinging to irrational nostalgia while I am actually being objective and rational in my opinions while you go on about "back in my day" shit.
>>
>>4174865

You still haven't answered my question about this supposed "single pixel shooting" and you can change the control layout so that is actually resembles modern console FPS.
>>
>>4174869
>Makes a point
>Changes the subject to derail all the points
I think you are done lol. I accept that you lost.
> you can change the control layout so that is actually resembles modern console FPS.
>Playing on an emulator for an objective review

Also around the beginning part when you are on the dam is what I am talking about. Some of the pixels are way too small to see for me.
>>
File: strife.jpg (59KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
strife.jpg
59KB, 460x215px
>>4174815
Sorry gramps, Strife might have "sucked" in your day, but an open world FPS RPG is fucking amazing now and can be properly appreciated now by gamers who can like FPSes with something more complex than a fucking USE KEY (which Quake 1 didn't even have)
>>
>>4174779
>shit controls

you know nothing about games.
>>
>>4174961
I know playing an fps with an n64 controller was literally hell on earth after moving from m+k. I think you know nothing about games.
>>
>>4174971

It's the same for everyone. People who grew up with consoles can't stand mouse and keyboard, people who grow up with PCs can't stand controllers (when it comes to FPS games).

GoldenEye is still a great game btw, and if you don't believe me check the Wii remake
>>
>>4174979
shit I had no idea they did a remake, I will check it out.
>>
>>4174979
>>4174981
The Wii remake is awful - do not be tricked by the faggot.
>>
>>4174961
Dude the n64 controller was a piece of shit.
>>
1. Super Star Wars
>slippery controls
>bullshit enemy spawns
>less than mind blowing graphics

2. Zombies ate my neighbors
>Great visual design
>AMAZING music
>Fun as fuck 2-players
I know they're both considered classics but I think Super Star Wars gets that Rep just cause of the name-brand recognition. Normies today can still love ZAMN.
I should know, I am one
>>
>>4175002
>Super Star Wars
This. I never understood how this game had a following. It was fairly avg, but it got a massive following just because of the brand.
>>
>>4174979
>People who grew up with consoles can't stand mouse and keyboard, people who grow up with PCs can't stand controllers (when it comes to FPS games).

I'm not really a FPS fan, but I did have MoH. Underground as a kid and liked it
WASD + mouse still feels way more natural for FPS games
>>
>>4175007
Well, there's nothing more Star Wars than being fairly average but with a massive following. At least it's true to the source material.
>>
>>4175030
ayyyy
>>
>>4174865
>except I played golden eye when I was a kid...
Six months ago? I can smell the underaged on you.
>>
>>4175167
>Making up your own delusions about someone else to get justification
This is getting a bit sad anon
>>
File: Roger-Ebert.jpg (87KB, 612x451px) Image search: [Google]
Roger-Ebert.jpg
87KB, 612x451px
>>4174779
>Shit controls, low fps. Modern gaming has ruined it for me.
Incurably bad taste. Get help.

By the way, from my experience 99% of people who shit on Goldeneye can't even accurately describe the game's mechanics, let alone know there is a menu for adjusting the controls.
>>
>>4175286
>n64 unrionically known as the worst controller
I think i know what i am talking about. N64 is such a shit controller. I only liked it for starfox64 and that is about it.
>>
>>4175302
Well whatever dude. Enjoy your thinly veiled mustard thread.
>>
>>4175308
k. enjoy your lost sense of objectivity due to you great delusions of nostalgia. Good riddance.
>>
>>4175308
>Leaves but has to think that it is a pc gaymin circlejerking to make himself feel better
Jesus christ that guy.
>>
>>4175327
nostalgia can blind people
>>
>>4175286
goldeneye was good back in the day, it might not have as good multiplayer as quake or quake 2 network play on pc but it was fun for what it was

but why would you play it today? the controls are shit and if you wanna play multiplayer just play a pc fps
>>
>>4175330
thats n64 fags for you, the most insufferable fags of all

the console has no games so they have to make it sound like the small amount of games the console had is the best of the best, there is no room for objectivity only praise
>>
>>4175337
I'm a fan of the 64 but the fags who can't acknowledge it had a shitty library and bad controller are the worst.
>>
File: 1453409286486.jpg (16KB, 180x192px) Image search: [Google]
1453409286486.jpg
16KB, 180x192px
I'm one of the people that bought Strife: Veteran Edition and had never played the original game. The game does so many things right it sits up there as one of the better games I've ever played.

Recently played retro:
>Vagrant Story - a blast to play, I've died in bossfights a plenty (Duane was my casual filter). People memed the sound design online and they weren't meming actually, its THAT good.
>Ghost In the Shell (PS1) - a retro game I've owned since it came out and only played for the first time a few years ago. Amazing from an "arcade" viewpoint. Perfect for speedrunning or testing your previous record without being overly intensive. I would shill this game to anyone. It could be a hidden gem game, I don't know anyone irl who knows of it.
>Brave Fencer Musashi - A game I had as a teen and never beat but never forgot. Beat it recently and realized I didn't even do 25% of the game the first time. Largely perfect in what it is. very cartoony and hokey.

Since I'm playing my backlog mostly the games I want to play usually turn out good as its a game I never beat for one reason or another. Replaying older PS1 games in my backlog has made me one of the types that enjoys smaller 20-30 hour games. Games that set out for this from the outset and manage to do it are a rare thing nowadays, its throw everything and the sink in and don't balance gameplay fun for it far too often now.
>>
>>4174779
1. Chiki Chiki Boys on Genesis
I fucking love this game, it so easygoing and charming.

2. Lufia 2 (currently playing)
Just a chill a jrpg to play on my snes. And will do some ancient cave aswell.
>>
File: IMG_5063.jpg (762KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5063.jpg
762KB, 3264x2448px
>>4174779
You sir, are mentally deficient.
>>
Just finished Illusion of Gaia.
Played it a bit as a kid, but didn't get to finish. Was nice to go back and play all the way through.
>>
File: Rayman-brain-games.jpg (73KB, 403x400px) Image search: [Google]
Rayman-brain-games.jpg
73KB, 403x400px
>>4174779
Rayman Brain Games. The Horrors of Learning.
>Then again, the equivalent of Hell is English with Rayman.
>>
>>4175409
Great fucking taste anon. 10/10, will definitely give ghost in the shell a try as its the only one i haven't played
>>
>>4174779
honestly goldeneye looks & plays alot better on PC via N64 emulator with a mouse injector mod

>>4174981
>>4174993
>>4174979
the remake is ok but it's literally just COD with a 007 skin.

an HD version of goldeneye 64 will probably never happen due to rights issues

>>4174979
>>4175021
i'm fine with both but unless you're playing something like doom or wolf 3D most console shooters sucked until the advent of dual analog controllers
>>
>>>4174981
>>>4174993
>>>4174979
>the remake is ok but it's literally just COD with a 007 skin.
Someone REALLY play Goldeneye for Wii and PS3?
>>
i just figured i'd stop by to tell y'all that there's a weird custom emulator that was designed with the express purpose of playing goldeneye (and also perfect dark) with keyboard and mouse controls, and if the framerate and controls are all that's keeping you from enjoying a pretty fun rooty tooty point and shooty then you're playing it the wrong way
>>
played some Treasure Land Adventure recently, it's one of the best looking games on the MD and it plays like a dream too. its kind of uncanny that treasure could make such a weird license work.

also played a little of the shitty MD port of Samurai Shodown and it's not really a good port but it's pretty fun.
>>
>>4176462
in fairness playing it as a light gun game is pretty fun. but if you don't like COD you're probably not going to enjoy it as much
>>
>>4174779
>Fighting Force

Forgot how shit the controls are.
>>
Underaged is thinking Strife is better.
Not being an insufferable hipster faggot is knowing Golden Eye is better.
>>
>>4174779
1. Wipeout
3 kicks ass but the original is comparatively boring and clunky.

2. Tekken 3
Newer fighting games have all the bells and whistles, but they sure don't fight the same.
>>
>>4174779
>hehe goldeneye sux
Kys
>>
>>4174880
Still not answering his question, Anon. We'll take that to mean that you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>4175315
Not him, but how is any of this objective? Your preferences for what is and is not 'good' is only based on you and your experiences. So lets say I decide to play Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES, barring me having played anything else. I'd look at that and say it was good. Hey look, sguddenly someone thinks SC4 is a good game. But let's say I try to play Ecco 2 on Genesis and end up hating it. Hey look, suddenly Ecco 2 is a bad game.

And life goes on.

I still don't understand why anyone tries to make video games "Objectively good" when it comes down to subjective ideas.
>>
>>4174880
>playing on an emulator
What the hell are you even talking about? Goldeneye let's you change the controls, there's even a double analog setup with 2 pads http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/Control_style

>I played it as a kid
Yeah you sure did.
>>
Mine was also Strife.

I got stuck on the level I'm up to though, so I've just been fucking around with noclip.
>>
>>4176782

Yeah, I don't get why people get upset when someone else has different tastes to them.

All art is subjective, why does it matter if someone likes something you don't enjoy or dislikes something you like?
>>
What's with all the people kissing Goldeneye's ass? It was a decent game but it wast the masterpiece that everyone makes it out to be.

Wait, was it that you were just a single console poorfag without a PC? Or a teenager playing it through an emulator, maxed out the graphic smoothing and antialiasing?

By the 96' 97' standards that game looked like dogshit.
>>
>>4176789
>there's even a double analog setup with 2 pads
>2 pads
Never played your shitty console fps but this is hilarious
>>
>>4176896
>Wait, was it that you were just a single console poorfag without a PC?
le pc gamers didn't like goldeneye myth
you weren't there

>By the 96' 97' standards that game looked like dogshit.
all the reviews back then praise its graphics
you weren't there
>>
File: bldyror2u.png (159KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
bldyror2u.png
159KB, 512x480px
>Bloody Roar 2
Fuck this game's good, only ever played BR1 back when, can't believe I missed out on 2. Stylish, fun to play, looks and sounds great. Criminal that Bloody Roar will probably never see another outing.
>>
I recently played HoMM1 for the first time, I found the art stile both very endearing and fugly at the same time, like a child drew it. It was also interesting to see where the series began, so it felt nostalgic while I never even played HoMM1 before.

Also I played Masters of Magic for a few hours, really dig it, but I knew I would as I love Master of Orion.
>>
File: 34567_front.jpg (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
34567_front.jpg
89KB, 600x600px
>>4177128
Got 'em the wrong way round, but whatever.

>Saber Marionette J: Battle Sabers
Played out of total curiosity. It's hellishly bad, even by the standards of the time. Slow, clunky, looks like dogshit.
>>
>>4176713
mah nigga

>Tekken 3
Probably my favourite fighting game after SFII, and the best one on PSX

>Pokemon Red
I've been playing through on the Super Game Boy, working on completing the Pokedex. Pretty comfy.
>>
>>4177180
oh I misread the OP disregard one of those two

>Final Fight on SNES
not bad gameplay but the ammount of content missing spoils the experience for me
>>
Been playing Pokémon Snap, nice and relaxing.

Bought a few games recently on recommendation I got from here, specifically monster world 4, and bonks revenge.

Both are fun platformers.
>>
>>4174779
Secret of Mana. First time playthrough. It was alright even though the magic is completely OP
>>
>>4177138
>even by the standards of the time
Games don't age, kiddo.
>>
>>4177138
>looks like dogshit
That's unfortunate. From the art it looks like "HIGH TEST BATTLE TITTAYS"
>>
>>4175007
It followed the movies damn well compared to the previous garbage games before hand. Same with the indiana jones trilogy.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.