[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daggerfall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: dagboxc.gif (196KB, 550x757px) Image search: [Google]
dagboxc.gif
196KB, 550x757px
In this thread we discuss the game that fleshed out the lore or the series.
>>
But Morrowind is not retro.
>>
File: Seite136.jpg (362KB, 1210x1470px) Image search: [Google]
Seite136.jpg
362KB, 1210x1470px
>>4174680
You seem to have no idea of Daggerfall's books and additional lore texts. Many (or even most?) books in MW are carbon copies from Daggerfall.
>>
>>4174682
I know, I was just trolling. Bethesda needs to re-visit the Iliac, I want lore about Ebonarm. He's cool.
>>
>>4174680
What did Morrowind introduce?

Dwemer? They already existed in Arena, except they were called Dwarves. The only new thing in MW was that the Dwemer built the Golems, while DF's lore said that the imperial battlemage built it.
>>
>>4174673
Lych
>>
>>4174692
The Dwemer were properly introduced in Redguard already.
>>
I wonder what the general opinion on the Khajiit redesign between Daggerfall and Redguard is.
Picrelated is Daggerfall Khajiit concept art.
>>
File: Bbrd10.png (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bbrd10.png
77KB, 640x480px
>>4174732
For comparison a Khajiit from Redguard.
>>
File: Bbrd18.png (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bbrd18.png
81KB, 640x480px
>>4174732
>>4174737
And another one.
>>
>>4174732
It's very similar to the redesign of Argonians between Arena and Daggerfall. In Arena, they were just primitive humans with scaly skin.

I don't have any strong opinions about it, but I feel that the introduction of beast races was a mistake. It changed the level of fantasy in the TES universe forever. However, the beast races have become iconic for the series by now, so it's not like they can be undone or otherwise restored to how they looked in Arena.
>>
File: Seite067.jpg (151KB, 916x1463px) Image search: [Google]
Seite067.jpg
151KB, 916x1463px
>>4174814
For the Argonians, they mainly added the large tail. Funnily the concept art pic we have for presumably an Argonian from Daggerfall, does not have a tail.
>>
>>4174814

>However, the beast races have become iconic for the series by now, so it's not like they can be undone or otherwise restored to how they looked in Arena.

Don't underestimate Todd.
>>
File: arena argonian.png (25KB, 232x384px) Image search: [Google]
arena argonian.png
25KB, 232x384px
>>4174895
They did a lot more than add tails in Daggerfall. In Arena, they even had hair. In DF, they already looked exactly like in the later games.

As for your picture, I'm pretty sure it's an orc. He even seems to wear the iconic gear of the regular orcs you encounter. See link for reference:
>http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/File:DaggerfallOrc.gif
>>
>>4174925
You're right, the picture might be an Orc.
>>
>>4174692
>What did Morrowind introduce?
Expanded modern lore
>>
>>4174673
This game is hard
>Be me
>Not allowed to be imperial for some reason
>Choose kajhit
>Choose skills carefully and put thought into build
>Start in cave
>Die
>>
>>4175984
That rat, man.
>>
>>4174673
>In this thread we discuss the game that fleshed out the lore or the series.
Morrowind? Morrowind expanded the lore several times from Daggerfall, more than any other TES game did.
>>
>>4175978
like what? I asked for specific examples.
>>
>>4175984
>Choose skills carefully and put thought into build

That was your mistake. With this game, you're supposed to follow a guide.
>>
>>4174732

I don't have much emotional investment in this series but man obviously those old Khajit are better. Catface Khajit are just boring standard furries.

Putting a head of a thing on another thing is dumb and lazy.
>>
>>4176460
Problem is, that already in Daggerfall, the Khajit were described cat-like, including BARBED PENISES:
>>>>
"Nice pair, kid." She was facing the wall but she could feel the stares of the other patrons. A hush had fallen over the place. Even the bard had stilled. She felt both nausea and a hot burning desire. Her hands released his turgid penis and then it was inside her and she was screaming in both pain and ecstasy. Then everything went black.

When she came to herself again she was sitting beside Therris, who was buttoning her shirt.

"That hurt!" she said indignantly.

"Always does, kid. Didn't anyone ever tell you about Khajiit men? It hurts good though, now doesn't it?"

Barenziah scowled at him. She was still smarting. His penis had tiny little barbs on it.
>>
>>4175978
>>4176042

Morrowind expanded on the lore of... Morrowind. Apart from that it added a bunch of esoteric stuff that didn't really do much to build on what Daggerfall had already introduced. The problem is that you actually have to read the books in Daggerfall to understand that a majority of "Morrowind-lore" was already in there, while playing Morrowind, you get it thrown in your face throughout the story.
>>
>>4177498
Case in point
https://www.imperial-library.info/books/daggerfall
>>
>>4174673
Daggerfall has lots of depth but it's not implemented well. Then it's also floating on a sea of fake depth.
>>
>>4177613
that's not what OP is talking about. he was solely talking about the story and lore.
>>
File: Seite172.jpg (356KB, 1258x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Seite172.jpg
356KB, 1258x1117px
>>4178387
Exactly. It's pretty irrelevant that Daggerfall was overambitious and failed at delivering its contents.
If you were interested in the lore, it was completely there and you could read it. Even outside if you just opened the books as text files. Also the manual and guide had some lore info.

But I don't want to exclude mechanics discussions from this thread. Daggerfall had a lot of problems and probably would have needed another two years of development to get them all sorted out. Now that Daggerfall Unity is around the corner, we can at least attempt to mod Daggerfall to become what the developers wanted it to be.
>>4177498
>while playing Morrowind, you get it thrown in your face throughout the story.
This is a good point and is probably why Morrowind was quite successful at delivering its lore.
>>
File: 1502277664634.jpg (21KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1502277664634.jpg
21KB, 380x285px
>>4174673
This game doesn't actually have much to do except crawl through randomly generated dungeons, but somehow the atmosphere is so potent that a part of me is still obsessed with it after 20 years. Something about gazing at the far-off hills as the sun goes down outside the tavern, or coming out of a dungeon and hearing the music turn from ominous to heroic. The rain falling outside the town gate as NPCs walk past you without giving you a second glance. Knowing that the map is mostly just empty wilderness and cookie cutter towns, yet feeling oddly pulled to go to visit distant lands.
Great soundtrack, too.
>>
Daggerfall full OST: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRvlj3ISNd_-rdxGlnuPsXW0Kxciy4dRz
I don't think anyone else has uploaded it all. This game has a massive amount of music.
>>
File: daggerfall3.jpg (58KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
daggerfall3.jpg
58KB, 400x250px
>>4178705
>fast travel to town
>when you arrive, it's snowing, and this plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ97I2p4_YY
top comfy

also, did you listen to the unused music tracks? some of them were pretty good.
>>
>>4174897
He's too busy releasing Skyrim for the gorillianth time.
>>
>>4178736
Not sure, those ones are the files I extracted from the game and converted with foobar2000. can't remember if they are just there or I extracted them from some file.
>>
>>4178751
they're not in the actual game, but were released before the release as promo material.

here are all of them:
>http://en.uesp.net/file.shtml?dagger/files/df_mid.zip

many of the ones in that file are tracks that are still in the final game, others are unused. the best ones in my opinion are DAG_6 ("sail") and DAG_2 ("chase").
>>
>>4174673

DFworkshop has the MQ working already
>>
Phrygias is the best Kingdom. I like the blend of taiga with woodlands.
>>
>>4181427
But Phrygias has no Knightly Order. Dwynnen and Lainlyn are my favorites. Especially Lainlyn with the lore of its ruler and his brother, trying to usurp him (and who appears as an undead in Oblivion).
>>
File: 1485424256303.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1485424256303.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>remember how comfy this game was
>maybe I should give it another try?
>remember the dungeons
>>
>>4182803

Why do people say the dungeons are that bad? Apart from the main quest ones, they're not that hard to navigate especially when you play through around 20+ of them and notice all the blocks that are assembled together
>>
>>4183002
This, and when you have done 50+ of them and start to remember where in each block the possible quest locations are.
>>
>>4183002
>>4183003
Sometimes I recognize the block early on and find the quest item in the first 30 min. I have found that if I don't discover the quest item within that 30" window, then it's unlikely to find it during the subsequent four hours of tracing every possible path, and the only reason to push past 30" would be to go ahead & loot all the chests and monsters.

There are certain blocks where I know I'm pretty much fucked when I hit them, I never seem to be able to find the quest item inside of these blocks (the throne room, the caves, the big rectangular chamber with a raised walkway along the upper perimeter, and the huge open area containing spiral stairwells contained inside columns). God help me if it's a dungeon with transporters, best just reload and find a different questgiver.
>>
I have a question about the additional questpacks in Daggerfallsetup. Are the additional unofficial questpacks that come with Daggerfallsetup buggy? It would be good for me to add in some variety to the default template quests for my next playthrough of Daggerfall.
>>
>>4183405
no idea, I've only played bethesda's free release. I tried the daggerfallsetup version once, but the music was different and I didn't really feel comfy with it.
>>
>>4183337
>Not playing a mage with mastery of all languages and a ring of Chameleon/Shadow/Invisible all stacked

Srs tho, I just casted haste and levitate and literally flew through all dungeons in like 10 mins.
>>
>>4183414

You can change the Daggerfallsetup's music back to 8 bit by putting these settings in the HMISET file, I think, under midi settings

DeviceName = Sound Blaster 16
DevicePort = 0x388
DeviceID = 0xa009
>>
>>4183415
it's sad, but the bugged character movement and climbing makes levitation the only viable option in many instances.
>>
>>4183415
>>4183436
>Long duration levitation
>Having to float downwards in every staircase and slope

Give me a single round levitation spell any day tho
>>
>>4183405
Not worse than vanilla quests
>>
>>4183337
Those blocks you describe are actually not that tricky (including the teleport ones), but fuck me if I can describe where the locations are in pure text. Someone should make video guides for each block...

Then again, you could always do the cheatmode 1 thing and just teleport to the quest targets in the blocks you don't know until you have them memorized.
>>
>>4183495

ya but Daggerfallsetup patches most of the vanilla quests and I don't want to get additional quests if they're gonna be buggy because I still haven't finished the main quest in the original Daggerfall.
>>
>>4183492
I aleays used shortest duration for lwvitation because it was still too long at high magic levels anyway and made the spell cheap af.
>>
File: sigh.png (4KB, 288x286px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
4KB, 288x286px
>turn off tutorial
>game freezes

>turn on tutorial
>end of tutorial
>game freezes

help
>>
I'm about to start a playthrough for the first time ever. Any tips on character creation/what to do out of the beginning dungeon?
>>
>>4184065
>>4184065
Go to the rusty ogre lodge and rob the chests for free deadric weapons
>>
>>4184065

it's a dungeon crawler with some fantasy sim side stuff in it like holidays/seasons/banking systems etc. It's pretty much a game where you can do anything you want in it.

I would avoid picking any of the language skills besides Daedric because they're mostly all useless beyond roleplaying.

You also get a letter when you leave the first dungeon which you need to read and visit the location it tells you to because it's a time limit.

Daggerfallsetup is the best version of it because it comes with unofficial patches and you don't have to enter dosbox commands

>>4184078

and break the game progression
>>
>>4184090
isn't there a roll every time an enemy notices you, and depending on your skill in their respective language, they might become friendly until you disappear out of sight?

I think there was a corresponding skill for human enemies, as well.
>>
>>4183663
Re installing sometimes fixes bugs
>>
>>4184482
i've tried that
>>
>>4174673
How do you guys deal with the crash bugs? I could never finish the game because I'd get too damn pissed when it would crash.
>>
>>4184721
>Using Daggerfall setup
>Mages guild Archmage
>Fighters guild Master
>Thieves guild Master Thief
>Dark Brotherhood Master Assassin
>Patriarch of Julianos
>Paladin of the Knights of the Dragon
>Beat main quest
>Game didn't crash once
>>
>>4184721

Can't you just save all the time? Combat is so clumsy, and dungeons so harsh (sometimes), that it seems like you should be saving a lot regardless.
>>
>>4184097
Yes, but if you want it to actually work get some money together and buy a month in an inn and have a guild memeber train the language to 50. High intelligence helps.
>>
>>4185897
even better: take a loan in some shithole that is irrelevant to the story, buy a ship, then train and sleep on the ship.

if you don't want an irrelevant shithole to hate you, you could just scrape the money together.
>>
>>4185934
>Scrape money together

Are we playing the same game? My characters are constantly loaded.
>>
>>4186084
not when you start out.

it takes quite a few dungeon runs to scrape together 100k for a ship. exactly how many depends on your carrying capacity. the last spellsword I played could only carry 20k coins before closing in to the limit, and even then, that's disregarding any additional loot I might want to carry.
>>
>>4174673
Great box art!
>>
Is hand to hand viable?
>>
File: Mannimarco.png (24KB, 397x309px) Image search: [Google]
Mannimarco.png
24KB, 397x309px
>>
File: Yq9POZ.png (720KB, 808x526px) Image search: [Google]
Yq9POZ.png
720KB, 808x526px
>>4187219
Actually by far not the best one.
>>
>>4187640
Yes. monk build?
>>
>>4190002
Possibly. I'll have to rely on magic attacks for magical enemies until I an a werewolf, right?
>>
i still havent beaten this game. The main story doesn't hold my interest
>>
>>4190053
the main story dungeons are pretty fun.
>>
>>4178454
DF unity? When? And New graphics or same old? And who makes it?
>>
>>4190050
Fists can hit everything from start, pretty Op in the end too.
>>
>>4187640
>>4190170
It's viable at the start and if you are actually planning to be really OP at the end it doesn't matter what weapon type you are using since you will go full spell caster anyway. Just remember that for any martial class, the most important attribute by far is Speed, don't fall for the Strength meme.
>>
>>4178617
Anon I just want you to know that I feel exactly the same way about this game as you. There's just a pull on my imagination that other games never really have delivered on.
>>
>>4190149

visit forums, its easier to see what is going on rather than explain
>>
Is the elder scrolls to blame for the modern addiction to "lore"? Every fucking game these days, even plain jane action games, is chocked with extraneous bits of lore to make shitty writing seem more sophisticated. It's honestly annoying as hell. I hate lore.
>>
If Daggerfall had a year of extra development, what would you add or change besides fixing bugs to make the game superior?

I would

-Add in a "my trade" dialog option to NPC's to add in personality which would be dependent on their sprite character model

-Add in Conjuration and Crossbows

-Double the amount of biomes and tilesets

-Merge every language skill besides Daedric into one skill

-Remove the leveling on lockpicking

-Add in custom dialog options with characters associated with the main quest like Morrowind did with characters like Dagoth Ur and Vivec

-add in dungeon blocks with puzzles in them to add variety

-banks that you don't pay loans back to will send henchmen

-interaction between kingdoms
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.