[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best addon ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: fds.jpg (63KB, 367x300px) Image search: [Google]
fds.jpg
63KB, 367x300px
best addon ever
>>
It's pretty clever from a technical point of view, but it was obsoleted by a combination of disc piracy and cheaper ROM chips rather quickly. The entire library (even though containing some groundbreaking titles like the first Zelda, Metroid and Castlevania) is actually surprisingly small compared to the amount of ROM cartridges.

Still, Nintendo turned quite a profit, being the hardware manufacturer, belt replacing aside.
>>
>>4174357
How does piracy make it obsolute?
It was a milestone. Without it we may not have flash carts nowadays.
>>
>>4174392
Piracy reduced profits for games released on disk, so Nintendo shifted back to releasing them on cartridge again, even though those were more expensive to produce (but falling ROM prices helped them with that).

>>4174392
>Without it we may not have flash carts nowadays.
what
>>
>>4174409
The FDS allowed to play games that were never officially released on disk.
All the later piracy devices copied the idea from there.
>>
>>4174413
Unlicensed software was a thing before the FDS, brah.

Also neither was this intended by Nintendo, nor was it a major selling point.
>>
>>4174416
A lot of people bought the FDS to play pirated copies.
Unlicensed software has nothing to do with that.
>>
>>4174425
>A lot of people bought the FDS to play pirated copies.
I never doubted this. Still, Nintendo sought to prevent it.

>Unlicensed software has nothing to do with that.
That's what I said.
>>
>>4174436
Then what are you trying to say?
The FDS was the first piracy device, allowing people to play ROM images from disks.
The only thing Nintendo did was restricting it to the Asian market.
>>
>>4174446
>The FDS was the first piracy device, allowing people to play ROM images from disks.
That's a stupid thing to say. Just because something lowers the threshold for piracy does not make it a "piracy device". That's like saying every 8-bit PC with a floppy drive was a piracy device.

What exactly are YOU trying to say?
>>
>>4174454
That all later piracy devices, including today's flash carts, mimic the FDS.
If not for the FDS, they may never have been developed.
>>
>>4174456
That is without doubt the most stupid thing I've read here in a very long time.
>>
File: fdsstick_console.jpg (407KB, 1623x1196px) Image search: [Google]
fdsstick_console.jpg
407KB, 1623x1196px
So the only thing for those FDS sticks to work is to have a RAM adapter cartridge? Where is it the cheapest?
>>
>>4174494
????

there only is one. they go for pennies in japan but importing them can be a bit of a pain
>>
>>4174491
I thought that was common knowledge.
How do you think piracy devices were developed?
>>
>>4174498
What I mean to ask is: If I buy a FDS stick I only need the RAM adapter cartridge right?
>>
File: SCPH 20400.jpg (65KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SCPH 20400.jpg
65KB, 640x480px
>>4174306
>this is the best addon
>>
File: PC Engine CD-ROM².jpg (135KB, 942x667px) Image search: [Google]
PC Engine CD-ROM².jpg
135KB, 942x667px
Hail to the king
>>
>>4174502
>Nintendo invented Piracy
>what is a floppy drive
You've got to be kidding me

>>4174543
Beautiful
>>
>>4174625
Not piracy itself. Piracy devices such as flash cartridges.
It wasn't really Nintendo that invented it but fans playing around with the hardware to make it play more than just FDS games.
>>
>>4174543
this

Turbo CD was fuckin great

IIRC it was region free as well, so you could import JP games
>>
>>4174502

It's not common knowledge because it makes very little sense, historically or logically.
>>
>>4174712
Nintendo releases a device.
Fans find out how to use it to play cartridge games.
Companies start adopting the format for other systems.
How does that not make sense?
>>
>>4174758
It is literally just a fucking floppy drive and floppy drives existed before and people had been pirating floppies before WHAT IS THERE NOT TO UNDERSTAND you utter idiot
>>
>>4174774
That you didn't use floppy disks to play pirated cartridge games on consoles before the FDS.
>>
Does anyone have a vid that's shows how bad FDS games sound on a Everdrive?
>>
File: 1483919087925s.jpg (2KB, 108x125px) Image search: [Google]
1483919087925s.jpg
2KB, 108x125px
>disk error 22
>disk error 48
>disk error 28
>>
>>4174306
The Turbo CD is pretty close. Those are really the only 2 that were ever worth owning.
>>
>>4174510

And the AV Famicom (the japanese Top Loader) for the cartridge slot.
>>
>>4174534
Not retro, but it was still cool. Heaven fucking help you if you didn't buy the 'right' hard drive for it, though; some brands have the IDE port just a little bit too fucking far away from the power connector to actually fit on the HD Adapter. I had to disassemble mine and slightly modify it to get it to connect properly.
>>
Remember that guy from last year who kept going on and on about how all technology before 2000 is "analog" computing, even after everyone made it clear to him that analog technology is mechanical with springs and hydraulics and shit? He insisted that dreamcast on was "digital" but that NES was "analog"
Some part of me misses that moron.
>>
>>4174392
>How does piracy make it obsolete*****?
Are you retarded? Easily piratable discs quickly turned it into a non-profit.
>>
>>4174456
No, todays piracy devices are delivered from multi ROM cartridges and reprogrammable cartridges.
This nor the SNES disk addon where their own little world of pirating, nothing to do with flashcarts.
>>
>>4175910
Can't the OG Famicom be used?
>>
>>4176528
It can, but remember that it does not have AV out by default, only RF.

>>4176320
Don't bother arguing with him, he's an idiot.
>>
>>4176320
That doesn't make it obsolete.
And if you look at a lot of other media, piratability has increased sales even if the manufacturers refuse to accept it.
>>
>>4176321
Todays piracy devices are based on old copiers. Those were reverse engineered and the media replaced with SD.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.