[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to start a flamewar on accident, aren't I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: Not Bad.png (65KB, 561x559px) Image search: [Google]
Not Bad.png
65KB, 561x559px
Okay, here's a breath of fresh air for you all.

I like Sonic Adventure.

It's plot and presentation have aged pretty badly, but I can take it as a product of its time.

The gameplay, controls, and level design however, arguably the most important things when it comes to games, remain timeless for the most part. For every character except Amy and Big (Who are also the two characters with the shortest stories in the game), all my problems with them are nothing but nitpicks. I can have good fun with a few Sonic or Gamma stages when I find the time to.

Same can be said for SA2, except I think everything is overall more polished. Come at me.

Pic related. It's how I felt when I started playing the game for the first time.
>>
I genuinely enjoy SA & SA2 when they're just about fast.
>>
>>4173416
Yeah, and they both have lots of chances for you to do that. The platforming is pretty good too, and something I can appreciate.
>>
>>4173413
I also remember liking SA1 + 2. Granted I haven't played them since they were considered new but I agree with most of your points.

Here's what I would have changed. Should of just been Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and maybe Shadow(I thought he was pritty kool). His campaign could of been unlocked later. Fix the knuckles levels. They were shit and the music they gave him was shit. Should of all been like the the Sonic levels. Fast 'n' fun but tailored to that characters skills. No character talks. Plot is simple and moved by quick cut scenes like in S3&k. No cities or other people present other than Robotnik. No big over world where you run to the next level. SA2 did that part right.

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to add or adjust any of my changes.
>>
SA1 and 2 are still really fun, to me. I don't think it's even nostalgia, because I'll pull them out every couple years and plow through them in one sitting each, and enjoy pretty much the whole thing. The only thing I'm really lukewarm on in them is the treasure hunting levels with Knuckles and Rouge, but they were pretty satisfying to time attack.
>>
Never played SA1, but I don't like SA2. It's fine that you do.

The soundtrack in SA2 is hella good, though. The lyrics are sometimes corny as fuck, but the instrumentals are some of the best I've heard in gaming.
>>
I really like Sonic Adventure 1. Don't really like the second one though, I guess mostly because I fucking hate Knuckles stages and having it on double dose was just too much for me.
>>
>>4173413
>on accident

Yes, but not about games. It's 'by acdident,' you muppet.
>>
>>4173413
I genuinely love the fuck out of the two Adventure games. I think between the two I'd have to pick Adventure 1 as my favorite, but that's only because I really, really hate the mech levels in 2.
>>
>>4173413
I really like SA1. Even Big's levels are somewhat fun if you stop bitching about muh fast.
The glitches aren't that intense. Idk why people are saying it's unplayable recently.

SA2 ruined every play style
>Gimped radar
>The mechs aren't as agile as Gamma
Sonic and Shadow's levels are fine. But I can't land on the fucking rails reliably.
It's still -fun- but it sucks that they already had it right in the first game.
>>
i like the gameplay, music and graphics when playing as sonic. Some of the other chacters aint as good but whatever. I thinks its the sonic version of mario 64 and people only hate it because of memes or they dont know how to control the camera.
>>
>>4173581

You're not far off the actual idea on that first point, the planned playable characters for SA2 were just Sonic, Knuckles and Robotnik, a sort of back-to-basics approach after SA1's six playstyles. You can see it in the first two trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CakYdSbUW0s

From what I've read there was fan outcry across the internet that Tails wouldn't be playable and that led to them reworking the game to have the hero/dark dynamic. Overall I think it changed for the better but seeing Tails stomping about in a mech is still weird.
>>
I like Sonic Adventure. Not my favorite sonic game overall but it's hard to argue against it being one of if not the best of the 3D iterations.

Aesthetically speaking it looks pleasing even today. Although the facial animations can be almost frightening.

I think the biggest thing people have against it are the controls and camera, which to be fair are dodgy. But, and maybe this is because I've had my fair share of experience with the game, I found them completely manageable.

I hate hearing people compare sonic adventure to sonic 06. Makes no sense to me other than sonic being around a lot of humans.
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>4173829

The facial animations never bothered me on the Dreamcast, they're still exaggerated and a little weird but I the models have enough thick chibi style that it's cute. When you see the same animations play out on the lanky SADX models it gets into straight-up Kabuki territory.
>>
>>4173917
Ah then maybe I am remembering the DX models. It's been a long time since I actually played Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast.
>>
I think a lot of people who hate it only played the awful DX port.
>>
>>4173952
I played the DX port actually. The whole game seems perfectly fine, despite popular claim, and I don't take back what I said about it.

I honestly don't know why people are bashing it. It checks out for me at least.
>>
>>4174086
The DX port is one of the worst ports of all time.
>>
>>4174090
One of the worst? Really?
The only issues I hear are muh gloss and some lighting effects that are easy to miss.
Some people blame it for glitches, but the dreamcast version wasn't glitch free.
>>
>>4174086
Strange that this is even a thing, but which DX port? The one on the GameCube is generally fine, but all bets are off for other versions.
>>
>>4173413
>emerald hunting in SA2
>more polished
kek
>>
I was 14 when it came out and I would say I was more "impressed" by the game than anything, which isn't to say it's fun.

Best looking games at the time were stuff like Soul Reaver, Majora's Mask and the like, which didn't run at good fps. Sonic looked good and flowed pretty well.

But when I think back to it, I realized I can barely remember the go-fast parts.
>>
>>4173413

>Topic is an edgy question
>Thinks that liking SA1 is makes him a speshul snowflake
>Reddit image

This website is way past its expiration date
>>
>>4174263

I actually came back to this thread to note that I was surprised nobody had shit on OP for using a reddit image and yet /vr/ has once again cucked me.
>>
>>4174281
If no one on /vr/ can recognize redditposting then that's a good thing, right? Still a fucking awful thread.
>>
why dont they let me skip the cutscenes? please tell me why.
is the '''''''story''''''' so important that I cant miss it?
>>
>>4174336

Because it's a Japanese video game.
>>
>>4174336
Get the GameCube version. You can skip them there.
>>
>>4174250
That's the one.
>>
Honestly, I only really enjoyed Sonic's levels in Sonic Adventure. Everything else was too gimmicky for me.

Never bothered with SA2 for this reason alone.
>>
>>4174250

Yeah the game gets gradually more unstable depending on what you play it on, the PS3/360 version being a port of a port of a port means it's the glitchiest of all and it has even LESS lighting than on Gamecube, it looks borderline cel shaded at times. People picking that up for cheap has to have a lot to do with the backlash the past few years.
>>
>>4175953
Incredibly likely the two are related, especially since the PS3/360/Steam versions introduce more bugs than ever. It's nice that the Steam version can be modded to fix it up almost entirely, but damn did they drop the ball on that.
>>
I appreciate the sentiment OP but I wish you hadnt posted a shitty reddit meme with it.
>>
>>4176278
Lesson learned.
>>
>>4173413
>I like Sonic Adventure.
That's fine. It's a shit game but no one said you have to hate all shit games or like good games. As long as you aren't claiming it's magically the best thing in the world we're all good here.

I have a few guilty pleasure games that aren't good too.
>>
>>4178354
This.
I don't care for the SA games myself, or for a more personal example the 3D Zeldos, but I'm fine with you liking them as long as you don't claim they're the best ever or shit on my preferred games.
>>
>>4178354
Hey, if you think it's shit, I can't change that. It's a game I personally get enjoyment out of. I'll admit that the game has huge flaws, but I can get over them, but at the same time see why others can't.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.