[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how the fuck was sony the only company to not fuck up during 5th gen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: fifthgen.jpg (637KB, 4000x2982px) Image search: [Google]
fifthgen.jpg
637KB, 4000x2982px
how the fuck was sony the only company to not fuck up during 5th gen?
>>
>>4171792
The Sony name was still worth something back in the 90s.
>>
N64 did great
>>
>>4171792
It didn't make hardware that was a pain in the ass and unsuited for decent 3D like the Saturn, or underpowered like the Jaguar, or overpriced like the 3DO, or using a dated storage format like the N64, but most importantly it won all of the third party devs over by being far more welcoming than Nintendo which was still in iron glove mode comparatively.

The cartridge format is really what shot the N64 in the foot. It could've been a much harder-fought battle if it hadn't lost Squaresoft and the collective JRPG genre.
>>
>>4171792
Timing, power, disc system, easy to make games for
>>
>>4171792
Playstation didnt have goldeneye and perfect dark
>>
>>4171792
No body wants to hear this, but RPGs, without em you're fucked as a console company.
>>
>>4171829
RPGs are for pathetic weebs
>>
>>4171835
True, but think about it, which system had the most in fifth gen.
>>
>>4171829
They sure mattered against the Mega Drive
>>
>>4171792
The games on ps1 are the reason why cod is popular. until ps3, video games were still about video games. Today we have games being dumbed down for the masses, just like movies or tv. I blame sony for giving microsoft ideas like halo, Which started this whole mess in the first place.
>>
>>4171819
The ps1 has an almost non existent homebrew scene, because it was a pain in the ass to program for and it in order to distribute games you needed to have special encoding on a certain part of the disk that couldnt be written on with consumer cd burning equipment. Everything else you're spot on though.
>>
>>4171886
Huh, never knew. I've never heard anything about the PS1 being a pain to work with before, whereas whenever anybody talks about the Saturn it's the first thing to come up, and the N64 is bottleneck central.
>>
>>4171886
>The ps1 has an almost non existent homebrew scene,

So did every single other console at the time.
>>
>>4171829
PC-Engine is 90% RPGs and it flopped
>>
>>4171894
He's wrong. The PS1 is definitely less of a pain in the ass to work on than N64 and Saturn. Although if you were doing demo scene stuff you'd think the latter two would be more popular since you can truly do some interesting things with their hardware. PS1 hardware is easy but boring.
>>
>>4171792
CD-i and AmigaCD32 were 4th gen not 5th gen.
Revise your picture immediately.
>>
>>4171829
>No body wants to hear this, but Sports games, without em you're fucked as a console company.

Fixed.
Do not underestimate the purchasing power of Chad and Tyrone, remember that they lack the mental faculties for pirating games.
>>
>>4171835
Video games are for pathetic people.
>>
>>4172045

Legit this, lack of EA support killed Sega
>>
>>4171835
Who do you think buys consoles?
>>4171910
In the West, but in Japan it made a carved a tidy niche for itself.
>>
>>4171875
>I blame sony for giving microsoft ideas like halo, Which started this whole mess in the first place.
Casualizing games began with Dragon Quest of all things I shit you not. It was deliberately made with normeis in mind, hence being--for the time---big on dialog and story and having a very popular cartoonist do the art.
>>
>>4171875
>The games on ps1 are the reason why cod is popular
wew lad citation needed
MGS alone isn't enough to back this statement. Are you saying Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Glover weren't games about fun? Back to /v/eddit with the contrarian pleb opinion.

>>4171835
Go to bed, ghost of Yamauchi.

>>4172045
>Chadposting outside of r9k
Fuck off, m8. Also, did you forget about Tecmo Bowl and NES Tennis? Sports games have always been a thing. You're thinking of racing titles.

>>4171826
As if they even needed it. N64 didn't have MGS and FF7.

>>4172049
Reported for shitposting.
>>
>>4172094
>N64 didn't have MGS and FF7.
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were actual games though
>>
>>4172104
Okay, and so was MGS and FF7. Not sure what you mean by "actual games".
>>
>>4171875
>implying fps splitscreen games like goldeneye weren't responsible for codshit
>implying perfect dark, doom, and quake didn't have a hand in it either
>>
>>4172109
He's mad those story-centric games didn't come to his platform of choice since they required CD-ROMs, so he prefers a pair of mediocre console FPS's instead.
>>
>>4172128
Story-centric games are for faggot NEETs who have no irl friends.
>>
>>4172128
I feel it's a bit unfair to say MGS and FF7 are story-centric, or to say they are to blame for the actual movie games we have today with bloated cutscenes and lengthy dialogue. At least MGS and FF7 had great gameplay (anything that wasn't a conversation or a cutscene) as well as a good story. The ratio was balanced and great on both ends. Now you can't say that considering today's AAA games are turning into on-rail animated movies with the occasional input. People should ask themselves why they play games that were made with the story and graphics for muh real cinematic experience instead of the gameplay alone. If the game isn't fun, why bother? At least MGS and FF7 were fun while having a nice story in the background.
>>
>>4171792
Sega Saturn is a pretty decent system tbf, but their launch was AWFUL outside of Japan.
>>
>>4172145
You sound like you'd gave a good time in r9k. Go there and stay there.
>>
>>4172145
This is exactly what Yamauchi and other Nintenfags said when they got salty that Square took Final Fantasy to PS1. Sad!
>>
>>4172128
>a pair of mediocre console FPS's
Whatever floats your boat, just remember they are considered two of the greatest FPSs of all time - on par with Doom.
>>
>>4172262
>just remember they are considered two of the greatest FPSs of all time - on par with Doom.
[citation needed]
>>
>>4171886
The fuck are you talking about? There was no homebrew scene for anything back then.
>>
File: sku_220538_3.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sku_220538_3.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
One thing I rarely see commented on, but back in the day there were loads of complaints about the quality of the laser reader.

I've seen consoles put upside down or balancing on their side to make it work. It got better with newer versions, but it was pretty much the Red Ring of Death of its time.
>>
File: 1467873030050.gif (679KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1467873030050.gif
679KB, 150x150px
>>4171835
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>4172412
I remember my PS1 kept breaking, but my dad always managed to bring a new one home every time.
No wonder my parents got divorced.
>>
>>4172104
its sad how nintendrones needs to make excuses when talking about psx, like you cant count games with story, no jrpgs etc and yet the psx has more good shmups then the n64 has good games, pretty funny for a console with no "actual games"

and for real why the console wars? we are here because we enjoy retro games and tbf if you really enjoyed retro games you would find more games to enjoy on the psx then the n64 considering the size of the library, im not saying all psx games are gems but you can find a really good amount of games
>>
>>4172051
Sega had sports games, just not EA SPORTS games. 2K has always been the better series, and EA's NHL series on Saturn remains highly regarded.
>>
>>4171792
>>4171795
This, and everyone else was shooting themselves in the foot
>>
>>4172104
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were actual shit games.
>>
>>4172262
Lol
Literally spit my tendies out reading that sewage you spewed.
>>
>>4171792
Sony had a good relationship with third party developers & had many good games for PS1.
>>
>>4171792
Depends on your perspective. They came in strong by having a console with reasonable 3D capability and cheap development costs versus the rest but looked like they were going to be another also ran as while the console was reasonably successful in Europe during launch period thanks to a lot of Euro centric and appealing games like Wipeout. It was doing middling in North America due to a lackluster launch line up and the SNES line up being god tier between 1994 and 1995 giving most people no reason to move on yet. And an outright failure in Japan as once Sega got their shit together and released a god tier port of Virtua Fighter 2. Saturn exploded in sales. Ken Kutaragi ended up running a hail mary plan in Japan after Square split with Nintendo and were looking into developing FFVII for the PS and Saturn. Kutaragi developed a monster deal that included the film rights for Final Fantasy and 10% investment in Square's stock in exchange for Square's line up to be exclusive on PS1 and publishing rights to FFVII in the US and Europe. FFVII was a global smash and PS1 sold a fuckton in Japan and the US to take the market. FFVII was that powerful enough of a draw along with smart price cuts by Sony.

It almost ended up being a very divisive market with different companies rulling in different regions till Kutaragi pulled that hail mary. Had FFVII been multiplat. The Saturn would have taken Japan and the west would probably have leant PS1 but stayed divided.
>>
>>4171974
working on a saturn game in C right now
and I'm really surprised there's no one doing demoscene stuff on it
getting started isn't hard -- CPU's relatively fast, VDP1 drawing is piss easy
you could probably do some wild things with VDP2 in a demo

early devs would have had issues because you need fast software 3D transform code since it wasn't done in hardware like on the PS1 GTE, but that basically became a non-issue from 1996 onward
the real trouble is that porting to Saturn from PS1 is awful because of the huge-ass hardware differences (if you draw everything on VDP1 similarly to how you'd do it on PS1, you get shit performance because VDP1's fillrate sucks a bit, while fillrate almost never comes into the picture on the PS1)
also, sega's docs sucked (reading that shit too long gives me a headache)

I guess since even more popular systems like the NES and Genesis barely get releases, there's no hope for something like the Saturn.
Major shame, there's real platform potential there.
>>
ITT underages

PCE outsold megadrive in japan and remained popular into the late nineties

Saturn outsold n64 in Japan and remained popular until the DC came out

Sony had the best marketing and most money, they could sell for cheap and do huge ad campaigns and their hardware was easier to work with, its not a mystery
>>
>>4171792
I know it's gonna be an unpopular opinion but, I think the play station is overrated. Don't get me wrong I had one and enjoyed stuff on it but I always preferred the n64 to it. Sure n64 didn't have much third party support and no FF 5 trillion (I've never cared about JRPGs) but it had its first party games and Rare. Smash Bros, Conker's, Banjo, Golden eye, Ocarina of time, Pokemon, all amazing. There wasn't ever anything on PlayStation I liked as much. It was ok but it wasnt N64.
>>
>>4171792
It's because they were newcomers that they were able to adapt to the new gen well.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.