[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bunny hopping and movement in quake 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (7KB, 179x281px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 179x281px
I see speedrunners and stuff flying through quake and I know they've modified the game a lot but I've still heard a lot about quake supposedly having really good movement, yet when I jump in quake, my direction gets locked in and I cant move the mouse while I'm in the air. Whats the deal?
>>
What source port you be using?
>>
>heard a lot about quake supposedly having really good movement

Exploitable might be a better word. A design flaw in the code controlling player movement means that your speed isn't properly capped each time you change direction on the diagonal.

>my direction gets locked in and I cant move the mouse while I'm in the air.

Quake doesn't lock your mouselook when you jump. Make sure you don't have any conflicting keybinds or try a different source port.
>>
>>4170331
Once you are running at full speed, stop pressing forward and jump/strafe, using the mouse and alternate strafe to set your direction.

Practice in a map like aerowalk
>>
>>4170331
>I cant move the mouse while I'm in the air.
You must be holding down a key bound to +strafe. By default that would be ALT. Nothing else could cause this behaviour to my knowledge. If you use a WASD-style setup you should easily be able to press your seprate +moveleft and +moveright keys while turning with the mouse.
>>
>>4170331
if you want to go fast and maintain speed in quake 1 you have to press forward while alternating the strafe keys as well as mouse motion. I usually bind +forward to mouse 2 to do powerbunny hopping. It is easier to maintain speed with always run off and only use run for the initial circle jump to get 400/500 +ups. With run off it is easier to get to 600/700 ups in joe quake and other vanilla source ports.

honestly just watch the utube video to get an idea of what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjh-9ExEcp0
>>
>>4170458
Just the steam version

The mouselook is working properly now, I can move it in air etc. Can someone recommend me some maps to practise?

I tried downloading the one in >>4172000
video, but I cant get it to work
>>
>>4172060
here is the link with past runners and the map itself its hyperlinked.

http://quake.speeddemosarchive.com/quake/contests/100m.html

extract and place the map "100m.bsp" within the map folder in the id1 directory where quake 1 is installed

Also in console type - map 100m

or create a shortcut with your favorite source port with - map 100m at the end of the target line in the properties tab
>>
>>4172060
For gods sake man, use a source port and make your life easier.
>>
>>4172060
>Just the steam version
That doesn't mean anything to those of us not daft enough to buy it on Steam. Is it quake.exe running through Dosbox? WinQuake? GLQuake?

Whatever, download Quakespasm and use that instead, you're likely going to have trouble using 1996 software to run modern maps.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.