[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portable Emulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

What is the best all-in-one portable emulation solution OTHER than the PSP? I exclude the PSP because I hade one shit out on me, and the controls are shit. I kind of got over excoted about pic related, and wonder if its as good as the hype makes it out to be
>>
>>4170178
Yeah, it's the best currently. Has a fantastic battery life and isn't a behemoth like the Win, making it the better portable. You also have access to various custom launchers which are MUCH easier to navigate than Windows on a handheld.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglqhx1HZVo

So yeah, if anyone recommends you buy a Win, ignore them. Go with the XD; it's great.
>>
>>4170192
Do you know if you can download apks from sources other than happychick and the play store? I hate the free versions of emulators and I won't be paying for any.
>>
>>4170205
Yeah, just use RetroArch or download the standalone emulator you're looking for modified to run on rooted devices. Tons of APK piracy sites have them, just be smart about which site you download from. I use RA so you'll have to do a bit more asking around to see which sites are safe.
>>
>>4170192
not bad, bu i wouldnt call the Win 'bad'.

the XD is definitely the way to go if you want something quick and simple and arent too interested in the more newer systems.

but if you arent afraid to put a little more work in your setup, then the win should be the way, specially since you get games and emulators that doesnt exist or will never work on android unless you have a shield tv or better:

>MAME3d (killer instinct, Cruisin USA, Soul edge, S-TV)? GPD Win
>Sega model 2 & 3? GPD Win
>Full dreamcast? GPD Win
>Atomiswave and Naomi? GPD Win
>Games like KOF2002UM, GGX2AC+R and the like? GPD WIn
>>
I've got the gcw0 from a couple years ago. Runs everything well till 5th gen, and psx as well. Not really the best choice as far as power goes. The reason I like it is because 4:3 screen and it runs open dingux rather than android. Also super good battery life
>>
Any cellphone. Im serious. You can poop with it at work. /Thread
>>
>>4170584
I've got one too. It's not really the best choice these days, but I really like the thing anyway, but the emulation is extremely solid up to PSX and the 4:3 screen is nice. Very comfortable and portable too.
>>
>>4170178
gonna play them in recess after math class cocksucka?
>>
>>4170178
>What is the best all-in-one portable emulation solution OTHER than the PSP?
GPD Win

>inb4 shill
Well, OP asked.
>>
What about the GPD Q9?
>>
>>4170178
Probably GPD Win or a decent to good smart phone with a controller.

XD is good too.

If you don't want to play Playstation/want to play DS & 3DS games, a hacked New 3DS is great, that's what I use.

Plays everything up to GBA very well (besides 5th gen consoles). PSX might start being playable but I doubt it. It's sort of borderline playable right now.
>>
never used a GDP but a New3DS is pretty great.

native GBA playback.
good SNES emulation via official VC (and injects)
good GB/C emulation (hold start before booting the game to render in original aspect ratio)
good NES, Mega Drive, PC Engine via homebrew
Can play all DS games and 3ds

The 240p screen is nice for playing retro
>>
>>4170192
>XD
Still runs KitKat android. It's garbage. Buy a phone instead.
>>
>>4170192
>those TV Launcher UI sounds

Zero energy.
>>
What's the best portable for emulating up to PS1 and Dreamcast?

N64 would be a nice plus too.

GPD XD, win, 3DSXL, or what?
>>
>>4172065
XD seems to do up to Dreamcast quite well by the sound of it, but if you have the money for a Win that sounds like a sensible option for future-proofing.
>>
>>4172065
Oukitel K10000 Pro, or GPD Win
>>
>>4171234
>phone
Bluetooth controller. It's garage. Buy a GPD XD instead.

>>4171552
Autism.
>>
File: st32.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
st32.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>4172574
>calling me autistic for pointing out shitty UI sounds

I mean the whole UI is shitty actually but the sounds stood out the most. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
>>
>>4172634
Yeah, Windows is much better suited for handhelds. Thanks for your insight you fucking cretin.
>>
>>4172574
>bt controller
Just wire it instead.

>buy XD
Kitkat is lagdroid, not android. It's app and thus emulation performance is worse than a sub 200$ phone with Nougat or Marshmallow. Stop shilling outdated garbage. If the chink shit was good quality they'd update it instead of leaving it on the worst version of android.
>>
dingoo

super portable, runs everything up to 16 bit perfectly.
>>
>>4172730
>Just wire it instead.
Cumbersome as hell.
>>
>>4172748
Not him but you're just gonna have to deal with it. Bluetooth control cannot avoid noticable input lag
>>
>>4172646
I never mentioned Windows once. Do you have autism?
>>
>>4172971
No I'm not on the spectrum with you.
>>
>>4170178

Anyone have any experience using this or any other GPD to play fighting games? How is the joystick? What about the shoulder buttons?
>>
>>4173025
>no u
Well I guess hiring children is commonplace over there, GPD shill
>>
>>4173821
I never mentioned GPD once. Do you have autism?
>>
>>4173821
Not too bright, are ya? If I were a GPD shill I wouldn't be bashing the Win (you know, that device they're currently pushing like mad).

>>4173835
You're not me, fag.
>>
>>4170178
>What is the best all-in-one portable emulation solution OTHER than the PSP?
New 3DS is a great portable emulation machine for 8, 16 and 32 bit (GBA) systems plus DS games.
It's solid, it's battery lasts a reasonabe amount of hours and hey... you can play SNES games on it.
>>
>>4173878
How is the emulation scene on the 3ds? I really don't feel like (or can justify to my wife) buying games I already have the original cartridge for.
>>
>>4173857
>Win (you know, that device they're currently pushing like mad).
That's the Pocket.
>>
>>4173945
>(or can justify to my wife)
>*cought* cu*k *cough*

>Being financially responsible adults with partners makes you a cuck
?
>>
>>4173964
Ya see! I don't even know what the hell they're doing anymore.
>>
>>4173972
you could be just a very clever person
>>
>>4173945
>Who the fuck "buys" old games?
gog btfo
>>
>>4173985
we are talking about consoles here I think
>>
Are these GDPs stuck on windows 10 or can I put win7 on them?
>>
>>4174039
Win10. Too many kernel differences to be able to use real Win10 drivers on Win7.
There are no official Windows 7 drivers.

Why though? It's just a gaming device, worried Raja from Microsoft is going to steal your Pokemon savegame? Windows 10 scales better with low end hardware anyways.
>>
>>4174039
It's a gaming device, you shouldn't worry about telemetry and Microsoft's spyware. Especially if you're using steam anyway. Just don't use it for anything other than playing vidya and maybe using discord and you're fine.
You can also set up a PiHole to block it from connecting to most Microsoft's domains, and ShutUp10 and Anti-Beacon to remove some telemetry and useless services.

If there's a way to install an enterprise version on GPD that would be even better.
>>
>>4174264
>Just don't use it for anything other than playing vidya and maybe using discord and you're fine.
Are you a tinfoil hat?
>microsoft is going to steal my credit card information or my tripcode!!!!
You really think that?
>>
>>4174264
>If there's a way to install an enterprise version on GPD that would be even better.
Nothing is stopping you.
>>
>>4174278
Thanks for your input, rajesh.
>>
>>4174283
Yes, Rajesh recommends you pirated Windows 10 Enterprise. Retard.
>>
>>4174304
Exactly? You don't need to charge for your OS if it datamines it's users and has NSA backdoors.
>>
Are there any disadvantages to turn a 3DS into an emulation machine?

Back in the day, putting custom firmware on your PSP was a good idea because it was kept up to date and Sony had a hard time countering piracy through firmware updates. Is it the same on 3DS?
>>
>>4170178
So, for those of us without shit taste and thus are Sega fans, I would also like to ask if there exists something like this with a 6 button pad.
>>
>>4174389
The 3DS is garbage for emulation, for one.
>>
>>4174745
unfortunately no... I looked into it too but the only thing I could find was a shit chink badly emulated sega handheld and a phone with a sega layout. The GPD does have L/R1 L/R2 buttons on the back, so i just use that desu.
>>
When the raspberry pi 4 comes out in 2020, it will most likely have DC, N64 and Saturn support. Will probably ditch ARM.
>>
>>4174931
>will ditch ARM
For what purpose? Seeing how my sub $200 android device is capable of perfectly running N64 and Dreamcast games I'd say ARM is good enough and there's no reason to ditch it. They just need to add more RAM, a non-shit CPU and eMMC for main storage.
rPi has always had worse hardware than it's competitors anyway. And their main purpose isn't making console emulators.
>>
>>4174753
If you want to be generous, you could say "get a flashcart and put a boatload of DS games on it."

But despite the DS's awesome library, that's not really emulation.
>>
File: 1.5x scale.png (38KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1.5x scale.png
38KB, 400x240px
>>4175034
Yeah. But even then the 3DS slaps bicubic filtering over the shoddily upscaled DS games, making for a really ugly image.

Only thing it's good for is GBA, imo. Though that technically isn't emulation either.
>>
>>4175038
Hold start while starting the game and it opens it in the native resolution.
>>
>>4170192
Good tip for the XD.
Go to the dev options and downscale all the animations.
In the Arc browser minimise the settings there too.

Works much smoother then.
>>
>>4170192
>behemoth like the Win
I don't get that meme, the Win is the same size
>>
File: Bienenwabe_mit_Eiern_und_Brut_5.jpg (1MB, 2901x2176px) Image search: [Google]
Bienenwabe_mit_Eiern_und_Brut_5.jpg
1MB, 2901x2176px
>>4172730
>worst version of android
Ahem.
>>
>>4176493
Makes it a postage stamp with extreme letter boxing.
>>
>>4176848
But it looks how it would on a ds. It's like you don't understand different resolutions or something.
>>
>>4176915
The DS didn't have a bunch of letter boxing around the screen, imbecile.
>>
>>4177001
byuu is a cuck tho
>>
>>4176930
Does it stretch the screen, then?
>>
>>4176930
It's worth noting that the pixels in the 3DS XL are about the same size as the pixels in the DS Lite. Makes the letterboxing easier to ignore and totally solves the picture-for-ants problem.
>>
File: 1501433042500.jpg (663KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1501433042500.jpg
663KB, 2048x2048px
>>4170178
I got my XD today. Its pretty sweet. anyway to play old pc games on it? not dos.
>>
>>4177461
>Makes the letterboxing easier to ignore
It really doesn't.

>solves the picture-for-ants problem
No, because the screens on the original DS were abysmally small.
>>
>>4177515
>DS games look like shit on a 3DS
<well, you can make them look like they were on a DS
>they looked like shit there too
Really made me think.
>>
>>4177525
Yeah, get a DSi XL.
>>
>>4171175
How well do non-DSP1 SNES games with chips run on homebrew emulation? Since you can't use injects for them.
>>
>>4177558
>no good gba emulation
>have to buy a flashcart or be lucky enough to have flipnote studio already installed to do literally anything
Hmmm...
>>
>>4170205
>I hate the free versions of emulators and I won't be paying for any.
>I Won't PAY!
>I won't use FREE stuff!

??? Then why don't you play on real hardware? Wtf statement.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.