[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the Sega-Bandai merger (1997) have saved Sega?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: image31.jpg (122KB, 720x377px) Image search: [Google]
image31.jpg
122KB, 720x377px
Would the Sega-Bandai merger (1997) have saved Sega?
>>
Doubt it.
>>
>Bandai

Depends, does the idea of annual half-assed sequels appeal to you?
>>
File: pino.jpg (52KB, 339x495px) Image search: [Google]
pino.jpg
52KB, 339x495px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fXX6_rwdY4
As Pinokiwo says:
>SEGA! SEGA! SEEEEGAAAAA! SEGA'S GAMES ARE THE WORLD'S BEST!
>THE DEATH OF GAMING: PLAYSTATION
>THE DEATH OF GAMING: SQUARE
>THE DEATH OF GAMING: BANDAI
>>
>>4169618
What the fuck are you on? SEGA's in great shape now.
>>
>>4169669
Compared to Sega in the 90s? Really?
>>
>>4169670
They are a software company, they don't need to risk losing their ass to some competitor every five years like all the other console manufacturers.
So honestly, why fight? Let those dumb assholes win it all then lose it all every other cycle, while you make software for all platforms and consistently make bank with proven formulas and wild experimentation.
>>
>>4169669
Are you fucking delusional? They don't even develop games inhouse anymore. Cue in angry nerds desperately looking up Wikipedia for Sega developed games. THEY'RE DEAD, GET OVER IT.
>>
>>4169670
>>4169694
They're hopefully going to change things up soon. They did release a kind of mission statement or something recently
>>
>>4169670
>They have to have proprietary hardware to be relevant
Oh yeah, Scorpio is going to be all the rage when it hits shelves.

>>4169694
>They don't even develop games inhouse anymore
Obvious bait aside, they've made more than a mint off Puyo Puyo Tetris, Yakuza 0, and Persona 5 this year alone. They've learned they work better as a publisher than a console developer; and the quality of their games over the past 20 years sans Sonic Team trash shows that their efforts in the 90's were very misguided attempts and held them back from being a better company in general.
>>
>>4169618
from the thumbnail it looks like red ranger is ganking sonic with a shiv
>>
>>4169706
>They have to have proprietary hardware to be relevant
Nice implication.

>Sonic Team trash
Nice opinion.
>>
>>4169721
Epic comment for the win, my dude. My favorite part was where you couldn't refute anything I said about SEGA being a very successful software dev and publisher.
>>
>>4169632
It works for Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and every other modern AAA publisher.
>>
>>4169734
Why do you want me to refute your post? Because deep down, you know you're wrong?

>>4169739
>Streets of Rage 2016
>Streets of Rage 2017
>ToeJam & Earl Ex Plus Alpha
>Phantasy Star VIII-2
>>
>no digimon dreamcast game with vmu support

Literally why
>>
>>4169706
>Streets of Rage (1991) sold 2.60 million
>Yakuza 0 (2015) sold 0.64 million
>but obviously Sega is a better company today!!!

I mean, even Sega in 1997 (when things became dire with the Saturn failure, no Sanic, etc.) had a higher revenue than Sega Sammy Holdings in 2017.
>>
>>4169750
>ToeJam & Earl Ex Plus Alpha
>Phantasy Star VIII-2
I would be genuinely curious what ToeJam & Earl would be like in a modern, AAA game
>>
>>4169694
If you're not an angry nerd why are you even on /vr/?
>>
>>4169841
They just released a new Toejam game, did you know that? Obviously it's not an AAA title.
>>
>>4169847
Because I want angry nerds to take me back to the past.
>>
>>4169706
>Obvious bait
I wish, man. I really wish.
>>
>>4169618
Sayguh was an arcade developer, they died the moment arcades have died. It's that simple.
>>
>>4169841
Nintendo would make excellent sequels to this game. So imagine a Nintendo game.
>>
>>4169860
Seaguh were a video game developer, they didn't just make one single game genre or style of game design. Phantasy Star Online was even more popular than the main PS games in the west. One of Sega's most iconic characters, Sonic, is from a console game.
Sega is hardly an arcade-only developer. Plus you could say the same about Namco, yet they're doing better than Sega right now.
I hope Sega does something cool, I liked that video with Nagoshi and the eyeball tracking technology, I'm not sure if I believe it, but I want to.
The sad reality is that Sega couldn't overcome the competition juggernaut that was Sony. All companies make mistakes, but in the case of Sega, it wasn't really their fault.
>>
File: 1501592366584.gif (2MB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1501592366584.gif
2MB, 250x187px
>>4169860
No, they died the minute they decided to put in seats of power the kind of autists who greenlit "surprise attacks" and heaps of hardware that they couldn't possibly support. The base Genesis system and the (((((initial))))) response to the Dreamcast showed that Sega was quite capable of creating quality console hardware and software that appealed to the masses, but they had some true turbotards in their ranks and this was their downfall.
>>
>>4169618
No. Just look at the Apple Pippin
>>
>>4169809
>Sega in 1997 (when things became dire with the Saturn failure, no Sanic, etc.)

Saturn was the best selling console in Japan in 1997 and 1998.

Rest of the world? Who cares about gaijin filth.
>>
>>4170480
Only revenue and profit do matter in the end.
>>
>>4170480
Only because every Japanese person already owned a PS1. Outselling the N64 meant fuck all when Nintendo was outselling Sega software 3:1.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.