[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3DO things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: FZ 1 3DO.jpg (2MB, 4240x1980px) Image search: [Google]
FZ 1 3DO.jpg
2MB, 4240x1980px
It is late 1992 and the 3DO is in mid-development stage. You are a software technician working alongside Trip Hawkins. Hawkins is serisouly considering having people other than Panasonic finish up and distribute the 3DO. What will you do to convince him to change his mind on letting people like Goldstar(at least for the Western game market) go ahead and make their versions of the 3DO. Do you try and convince him to stick solely with Panasonic, or just be more selective on who is allowed to manufacture 3DO system models, jump ship, or other?
>>
>>4168801
>implying he would listen
>>
File: trippin.jpg (31KB, 254x438px) Image search: [Google]
trippin.jpg
31KB, 254x438px
I'd suggest he mail Ken Kutaragi the head of Howard Lincoln as a tribute and humbly request his support either tacit or material.
>>
>>4168843
Well, What makes you so sure of that/
>>
I simoly explain to him the basic economic concept of the Razor and Blade model.

No, or very few, consiles made money from sales. The money comes from games. You sell the console at a tolerable loss and when everyone has one make your money selling them games.
>>
File: 1500878252180.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1500878252180.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>4168801

The whole point was to license the architecture to companies that could make the hardware. That's the money-losing side of the business, even for a company with the massive manufacturing base to achieve economies of scale. 3DO then gets the gravy, the software royalties.

The problem with the 3DO business model was that, of course, in order for Panasonic to make the hardware NOT at a massive loss, the system would have to be priced way above a comparable system from Sony/Nintendo/Sega. Those guys sold hardware at either near-zero profit or a loss, offsetting that with the increased software royalties that a big installed base creates.

So the 3DO was ridiculously expensive compared to its competition, so nobody bought one, so nobody wanted to develop for it, so there was no gravy.

It was never going to work no matter who made the hardware.
>>
>>4168896
Except that's impossible with this console because the manufacturer isn't the license granter and the license granter doesn't have the capital to purchase directly from the manufacturer.
>>
>>4168892
He looks very sure and convinced of himself or did you forget the Portal Runner controversy?
>>
>>4168965
Well then tell the license manufacturer they can either make a shit ton of money, or make no money and enjoy their tech demo.
>>
File: 1500799427291.jpg (430KB, 1935x1290px) Image search: [Google]
1500799427291.jpg
430KB, 1935x1290px
>>4168981
>some tiny little game company is going to bully 1990s Panasonic
>>
>>4168987
You got it backwards. I'm saying that tiny little game company can play ball with the giant manufacturer and work out a deal or just fuck off and make no money.
>>
File: 1501801535971.png (488KB, 527x527px) Image search: [Google]
1501801535971.png
488KB, 527x527px
>>4168993

But they did. Panasonic wasn't willing to lose a bundle in order to make some piggu American toy with the potential of possibly in the future making back the money on software sales.

It was the 90s fampai, try convincing a guy who's been making TVs and stereos and etc at a profit to make a product that sells at a guaranteed loss and then your piece of other people buying other products from other companies will make you money. The idea just didn't exist outside of a couple of video game companies who were small small potatoes compared to a big electronics manufacturer.

It'd be like trying to convince 1960s Ford to build your cool car design in their factories and sell it at a big loss, against the promise of a cut of air freshener and tire sales. You'd get laughed out of the building EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK.
>>
>>4169018
Then maybe Trip should've just sucked it up and admitted 3DO was a doomed concept.

It would come to the same thing in the end but would've saved everyone some time.
>>
>>4168968
Its been a long while since the portal runner controversy went through my mind.
>>
BUMP OF LIFE
>>
>>4168928
Despite what ended up happening with the licensing of the hardware, 3DO did manage to sell more than the CD-i, 32X, and Atari's Jaguar. Thats some gravy, though not as much as the N64, Saturn, PS1, and SNES.
>>
3DO stands for 3 dollars only.

That's how much developers had to pay the 3DO company for each copy of their game sold.

Since 3DO outsourced the construction and sale of the physical consoles to other companies like Panasonic, software liscensing was 3DO's primary source of income. $3 per game sold was not enough for 3DO to buy the amount of advertising the system needed to entrench itself into the mindspace of public. Sony spent far more than 3DO did on advertising and that's why Sony dominated the 5th gen despite also being a newcomer to gaming lacking the brand recognition of Sega and Nintendo. Had 3DO charged devs $7 dollars per game sold they might be selling new 3DO consoles today.

That was their primary error. There were a few other mistakes as well:
Release price of $700 instead of $500 which severely reduced sales during the crucial 1993 Christmas.
Paucity of buttons on the controller, which hampered fighting games, PC ports, and ambitious feature rich games like MGS(PSX).
Noisy cooling fan on the original phat model, which hampered the CD quality audio.
Video output scaled to 480i despite a framebuffer of only 320x240. This caused less sharp, less smooth video.
Game boxes were large cardboard boxes instead of CD jewel cases which subconciously made them feel pricey on an already highly expensive console.

Basically in the 5th gen of videogame consoles:
Sony took everyone by surprise swept everyone away but a crippled Sega and Nintendo holding on by meme strength.
Nintendo released their console too late when many people were already happy Sonyponys. They also crippled their console to save a few cents per unit but that is another story.
Sega really only made 2 mistakes: a failed launch that let Sony get a headstart (just like Xbone vs PS4), and (((Bernie Stolar)))'s famous remark.
3DO could have secured a place as 4th console but they had 0 room for error and they made errors.
Jaguar, PC-FX, and Pippin were hopeless and never stood a chance.
>>
>>4170746
NEC PC-FX should have been updated at least little in terms of both graphics and CPU before its 1994 release imo. Pippin definitely didn't have a chance.
>Paucity
What?
>>
>>4171559
Not him, but paucity means a significant lack.
>>
>>4171631
I think some official controllers had shoulder buttons.
>>
>>4171654
The standard 3DO controller had 3 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons along with the 2 start/select type buttons. It was barely enough to play fighting games awkwardly and not enough for more complex games.
>>
>>4171680
I think 5 buttons is okay for fighting and schumps.
>>
>>4171693
6 comfortably aligned buttons are needed to play many fighting games well.
>>
>>4171697
I see your point.
>>
>>4168801
3DO was worthless, everybody knew it at the time.
>>
>>4172989
Says you. It still managed to sell more than the Jaguar, CD-I, Pippin, and 32X.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 236x213px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 236x213px
>>4171697
They fix problem by use start button as button 6.
or buy streetfighter2 gamepad.
and at that time streetfighter2 was only one game who want 6 button.
>>
>>4174221
That controller looks quite weird.
>>
>>4174662
It does but it's actually very functional. You hold it with your left hand leaving your right hand free to work all 6 buttons.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.