[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My PAL-NTSC conflict

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: DSC_0073.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0073.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey /vr/, I've got an issue with my Samsung HDTV T27B300 when I am playing NTSC PS1 games.

Pic-related sums up the problem quite nicely, I have tried every resolution this TV offered me, unfortunately all of my games are cropped.

I live in Poormany, so my TV was obviously designed for the PAL video format.
I am using a 'real' SCART cable that allows me to play my NTSC games in color, but the same exact thing happens with the standard PS1 cables (just black and white).

Are there any components that will help me change my TV's resolution? I really don't mind the black bars, I just don't want the rest of my screen to be cut from the monitor.
>>
>>4167923
My PSX model is SCPH-5552, if that's important.
>>
I figure there is nothing I can do about it, are there any good PAL TVs that can play NTSC PS1 games flawlessly?
>>
IIRC PlayStations aren't locked for video format, so once the region locking is bypassed it will always output a true PAL or NTSC signal depending on the game. The fact that you get B&W through non-scart suggests the TV doesn't support the NTSC carrier properly. RGB via scart is different again, but it's still causing problems. Even if it's not completely obvious at first, I'd bet that it's decimating that RGB input and dropping frames like mad.

Some TVs are just fucking terrible. They decide for some reason that since it's being sold in a primarily PAL country the firmware needs to be locked to support nothing else. In my experience Samsung is one of the worst brands for shit like this. Whenever someone has an issue like this it's usually fucking them.

I'd maybe try an upscaler or something before a new TV, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. I've had good luck with Hitachi, but honestly it's just luck. The wizards of this board would suggest a CRT.
>>
>>4168173
Thanks for the reply, I was looking into CRTs when I first purchased my PS1 (the TV I've got is basically a gift from my grandparents, since they got a new TV now).

Is there a brand that has any reputation whatsoever on that regard?
>>
>>4168290
And would it have to be an American one?
I imagine so, as I've heard that supporting the NTSC format has been fairly recent addition since the last two decades.
>>
They do sell converter boxes for exactly this reason, ya know
>>
>>4169229
My dad and uncle ran a repair/rental shop for over twenty years and they dealt with a lot of imports in that time. With a few exceptions PAL CRTs have generally supported NTSC since at least the 80s, whereas TVs sold in the US very rarely support PAL at all. I think VCRs were similar, but not 100% sure on that.

I thought this was very common knowledge, but I've heard a few people on here claiming the opposite. It's definitely not a recent development though. I had a lot of US exclusive games on my PlayStation that were played on a TV at least ten years older than I am.

YMMV I suppose. Most TVs should be fine, but some are shit and some manufacturers are shit.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but honestly a lot of PAL PlayStation games aren't that different from their NTSC counterparts, as long as you're not too autistic to stop yourself from having fun.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.