[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro racers vs. new racing games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: 7039_front.jpg (83KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
7039_front.jpg
83KB, 640x640px
So, I was on the fence of buying a PS4 and a new racing game but everything seems to be shit. Forza 7 is on a crap console, in Gran Turismo Sport the cars stand out like a sore thumb in the terrible looking environment, Project Cars has broken gamepad controls and everything Need For Speed is boring af.

No I am back playing Sega Rally Championship, Wipeout 2097 and Gran Turismo 2. Is it just me or have racing games peaked in the late 90s and are on a downward spiral ever since? Why do all racing games nowadays try to be overly complicated? Where have the arcade style racers gone?
>>
>>4167697
>Forza 7 is on a crap console
It's on PC as well, lad. Same as Forza Horizon 3, which is an arcade racer.
>>
>>4167697
People have invested more and more in making things look as realistic as possible. Which is good.
That leaves little room to stylize things. Which is bad.
>>
>>4167697

Are these PS1/Saturn racing games any good and still worth playing?
>>
>>4167697
GAME OVER YEAH!
>>
Man, I really miss the am2 days. Back then going to the arcade was such a paradise. Sega rally championship, outrun 2,daytona usa, scud race. Sadly, those golden years are gone..
>>
>>4167697
There were some good ones in 2008 if i remember corectly - Blur and Split.Second. But arcsde style racers on the home systems had largely moved into simcade territory or died the same way C&C clones did - outnof stagnation and lack of ideas.
>>
when you get the secret car in sega rally it becomes harder to handle than the most hardcore sims of today
>>
>>4167697
Gran Turismo 2 was inferior to 1, imo. You can also try Ridge Racer (Revolution is very good, Type 4 is top comfy), Colin McRae Rally, Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast, etc.

Among contemporary racers, Driveclub looks very good.

>>4167959
The Ridge Racer games are legendary and well worth an extended replay. Ridge Racer Type 4 is probably the comfiest racing game ever created, while the previous Ridges are more thrilling.
>>
>>4167968
There's also Virtua Racing, who still looks very good today.
>>
File: 002_SWDC_test.jpg (18KB, 290x160px) Image search: [Google]
002_SWDC_test.jpg
18KB, 290x160px
>>4167697
"Modern" racing games like forza and the current fucking-photo-realistic-excuse-for-a-racer-on-sony-playstation-with-a-million-different-cars just give me CANCER. These greedy fucks have no idea what racing games are about. I hope they die off soon.
>>
>>4168160
How are they so different from the gazillion basic PS1 racers like, say, Porsche Challenge, V-Rally or Racing Lagoon?
>>
>>4167727
>>4168160
Every major racing game nowadays is built to whiny simracers' shit taste that prioritizes physics (and sometimes graphics) over fun. Go check /ovg/ on /o/ and see for yourself - it's largely populated by autistic simracers, or go read the Pretend Race Cars blog for articles like this: https://pretendracecars.net/2016/08/11/no-game-value/
>>
>>4167697
Not retro, but GT6 has taken the throne as my favorite racer ever.
Solid game. And I don't even play it online. I just like to drive. I've put 30K miles into it already.

As for retro, GT2 takes the cake, but Sega Rally was great too. The real problem is, car culture is on the fritz. Haven't you noticed how many super/hypercars are flooding the market? They're not as amazing as they were in the 90s when McLaren pulling a 240 with naturally aspirated engines was a holy shit moment.
The ricing scene seems to have quieted down too. Japan's not making cheap sports like they used to. They're trying to be like Europe, sadly.
>>
>>4167697

At this point if you want arcade-style racing, your options are Mario Kart or games like DiRT
>>
>>4168374
except very few games are actually sims. you're confusing simcades for real sims.
>>
>>4168385
I think I too much generalizing. But yeah, simracers do sperg out over simcades. There's a meme over Assetto Corsa players about the game lacking simulation value or something.
>>4168383
>DiRT
>arcade-style
>>
>>4167697
If only Sega didn't rush the standard version of Championship Rally...
>>
>>4168393

Wait, sorry, I meant Blur instead of DiRT
>>
>>4167974
C&C clones died out because micro heavy RTS is unplayable on console gamepads, they are up against Starcraft on PCs, and too complex either way for normies to play and win in multiplayer.

What? Single player? RA3 Uprising was fun as fuck in single player and it ended up with the worst ratings for a C&C game ever, because of one single thing: no multiplayer.
>>
>>4168374
>stop liking what I don't like

>>4167697
>everything Need For Speed is boring af.
Man, I hope you're not including the old Electronic Arts era PS1 games, those are fantastic.
>>
>>4168426
I am not a full-time simracer; if anything I'm a aid-assisted scrub with PC ones (only tried F1 Challenge and GTR 2, plus Grand Prix 2 for /vr/ flavoring, although that's mainly for painting cars) and a occasional lurker on /ovg/ and Pretend Race Cars.
>inb4 /ovg/ reads this and call me a PRC shill
>>
>>4167697
They still make arcade racing games they're just never ported to consoles anymore. Hell there was a new Cruis'n game last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFSZsucgvv4
>>
>>4168530
>Games takes a photo of you
Why?
Also, the game looks pretty bland and boring and the car selection is just expensive supercars
>>
File: latest.jpg (81KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
81KB, 800x800px
>*knockoff Sammy Hagar intensifies*
>>
>>4167959

I still kinda prefer the early GT games over 5 and 6, obligatory R4 mention too. F1 Psygnosis is always nice to play again even for the Murray Walker commentary, but that one's me liking F1 a lot.

>>4168001

As a kis, getting to play on those deluxe VR racing cabs was magical. Just like being in a real F1 car.
>>
West ruined racing games with nigger shit. I can't stand it.

Games like OutRun and old racing games are about racing, cars, even the beauty of the car aesthetics and mechanic and beautiful places. And, of course, about fun.
No story with dick characters fucking around some city, no "MC Nigga feat. Niggest - Da niggas on da 'hood (BLACK Remix)" on the radio.

Now every western racing game is about nigger shit.
>>
>>4168530
Sega made a new Daytona USA title, but it was developed by international team (Sega Amusements) just like Sega Rally 3 and I heard it's a bit disappointing ("new" tracks being mirrored old ones, recycled DU2001 soundtrack, etc.) Meanwhile Sega Japan is set to announce an STCC-style game based on the Japanese Super GT: https://swdc.sega.jp/
>>
>>4169362
>MC Nigga feat. Niggest - Da niggas on da 'hood (BLACK Remix)

Would listen on YouTube desu
>>
File: nigger for speed (3).png (1001KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nigger for speed (3).png
1001KB, 1024x768px
>>4169470
Almost there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vkk-UsapUI
>Niggas In Da Hood (feat. Crunchy Black)

And it sounds exactly how I thought.
>>
>>4169553
/vr/ keeps on delivering!

>Me Being Me
Best album title ever.
>>
File: RollcageStgII.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
RollcageStgII.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>4167697
During 5th gen, people didn't automatically hate racing games yet because the amount of variety was fantastic, much like first person shooters on PC.

During 6th gen, there were undoubtedly fantastic racing games but your average normie and /v/irgin with bad taste will hate racing games by default now but they will claim some mass appeal favorites like "...but I loved Burnout 3" or F-Zero GX or Outrun 2 or Midnight Club.

During 7th gen, people will flat out shit on racing games due to the graphics race. Haters of the state of the genre will at least admit there were some gems like Project Gotham Racing 3/4, Blur, Split/Second, Motorstorm, Wipeout HD, Sonic Transformed.

8th gen right now is just in a sad state. It feels like it's just half a dozen Project Cars clones like Assetto Corsa and Need For Speed is a flat line. Just a bunch of muh realistic online clean track racing with the same old licensed cars. Which brings me to Gran Turismo. RIP my old friend, RIP Simulation Mode.
>>
>>4168257
What CarPGs do we have now? Don't confuse it for Test Drive Unlimited.
>>
>>4169586
I don't know, I only play retro.

>CarPGs
wat
>>
>>4169889
Racing Lagoon is a CarPG
>>
File: 1382737258889.png (18KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1382737258889.png
18KB, 500x484px
>>4169362
>there will never be another NFS with as in depth car showcases as the originals
>instead, there will only be rice
>>
Regarding arcade racers, new games aren't better than old games (I consider 6th gen racing games in this case) because they don't do anything new but provides shiny graphics. A game like Driveclub is visually amazing but it is less complete than a game like NFS3, for example. Forza Horizon is sure fun but it's pretty much Test Drive Unlimited done right. Cheers on them, but still no novelty in a 10 year gap. The things change a little with sim racing, which is actually what I play the most. rFactor 2, Automobilista (heavily modified rF1 engine) and AC are pretty good games, Dirt Rally was a pleasant surprise and there are some good other games out here, I don't have many hopes PCars will be more than a competent simcade at this point but still a solid game I consider to fill the space of TOCA games. Of course games like GP Legends and Grand Prix series even for today standards are absolutely gorgeous representing the sim aspects of racing, but we improved a lot from those days at least.
>>
>>4168374
Sim racing is a niche genre with little effect on the outside but
>simcades
took a wrong turn and now are the cancer killing the whole genre. In the days of Porsche unleashed, a middle ground between sim and arcade was much wider and there were games like saud PU - with arcade controls, tracks and damage model but sim physics. Now it is the other way around with the simcades - sim environments (realistic circults exclusively) with a bit more complex NFSU drive model. Playing checkers with ongoing traffic on the highway with physics like that was fun, going round and round on empty circuls is not.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.