[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw this is still the greatest BSFTG of all time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

File: finalfight.jpg (274KB, 850x1189px) Image search: [Google]
finalfight.jpg
274KB, 850x1189px
>tfw this is still the greatest BSFTG of all time
>>
>>4165927
BSFTG?
>>
>>4165932
Belt-Scrolling FighTing Game, as opposed to SSFTP (one plane like Bad Dudes) and VSFTG (one screen like Street Fighter II).
>>
>>4165932
>posters = 1
cool samefagging op
>>
it's good but there are better options like final fight 3, alien vs predator, TMNT IV etc.
>>
>>4165949
>final fight 3
>tmnt4
>better options
nigga please
>>
>>4165950
please what, I like final fight too but if you think it's the best of the genre then lmao
>>
>>4165961
I'm not op, but if you think the shitty snes sequels or TMNT4 are better than the FF arcade then you are retarded
>>
>>4165969
>posters: 3
kys
>>
>>4165969
yes me, you and OP, enjoy your shit tastes btw
>>
>>4165979
>>4165972
>>
>>4165969
I've got some better options:

Both D&D games, Bare Knuckle Trilogy, Scott Pilgrim, Sailor Moon arcade, Golden Axe, Denjin Makai, tons of other shit.

Only good thing about Final Fight is Poison.
>>
>>4166325
>Both D&D games
Can't argue with this one
>Bare Knuckle Trilogy
Debatable for the first game, but I do consider SOR2 and SOR3 are on par.
>Scott Pilgrim
Nope
>Sailor Moon arcade
Not too familiar with it.
>Golden Axe
Golden Axe is barely a step above Double Dragon as it is.
>Denjin Makai
Overrated because of its obscurity
>Only good thing about Final Fight is Poison.
So you only care about the fapbait character?
>>
File: 0aa66903fabc8c0b15640f5800e3a115.jpg (917KB, 1263x1785px) Image search: [Google]
0aa66903fabc8c0b15640f5800e3a115.jpg
917KB, 1263x1785px
Punisher arcade game rules.

The MD version weren't so great but I like this image.
>>
File: belt scroller.jpg (31KB, 480x299px) Image search: [Google]
belt scroller.jpg
31KB, 480x299px
Kids these days I swear
>>
File: dcevxx1367907707458.jpg (27KB, 240x312px) Image search: [Google]
dcevxx1367907707458.jpg
27KB, 240x312px
yo i heard /vr/ likes boot scroller games, what's your fav boot /vr/?
>>
>>4167435

Holy shit, you make me remember this for the fist time in 20 years.
>>
>>4165937
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>4167435
That looks really fun. Can you emulate this?
>>
File: ffcdj.jpg (147KB, 605x600px) Image search: [Google]
ffcdj.jpg
147KB, 605x600px
>>4165927
Ahem.
>>
>>4166325
>D&D
Good games but not really "interchangeable" with FF because they focus on different things
>Bare Knuckle trilogy
SoR2 maybe is on par, the rest no.
>Scott Pilgrim
RCR-likes are shit.
>Sailor Moon arcade
This game is garbage gameplay-wise once you pass the nice presentation
>Golden Axe
Too stuck in the Double Dragon era
>Denjin Makai
The first one has a bunch of clunky stuff, second one has great combat but is a bit too easy/unbalanced
>>
>>4168351
that port has a bunch of problems though, arcade is the best
>>
>>4165927
River city ransom or gtfo. Underground is pretty fun sequel too.
>>
>>4168406
shit tastes confirmed
>>
>>4168354
>This game is garbage gameplay-wise once you pass the nice presentation

What makes you say that? I haven't played it much, but the mechanics felt pretty close to FF to me, right down to having the same silly infinite combo trick. The only thing that felt off to me were the characters, as it seemed like there was barely any differences between them.
>>
>>4168459
>I haven't played it much, but the mechanics felt pretty close to FF to me
The devil is in the details, the hitboxes are fucked up, the damage output is ridiculously low, dunno for me it's just not fun to play. Also the only way to play it "right" is to infinite everything, it's not necessary to play like that in FF
>>
>>4166375
I enjoyed Denjin Makai 1, though it's not overly complex...the second game has a ton of depth, though.
>>
>>4165927
AvP
Cadillacs and Dinousaurs
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
Denjin Makai 2
>>
>>4168514
It has tons of moves, dunno about depth, enemies are dumb for the most part and scoring gets trivialized by doing some easy infinite combos
>>
>>4168525
Don't most of the old arcade beat 'em ups have infinite combos, though? I've personally done some cheesy bullshit in D&D and AVP without looking up combos and both of those are considered some of the best.
>>
>>4168532
I'm not complaining about the infinite combo itself but how it trivializes the score easily, Denjin Makai 2 seemed like a game that developers wanted to have an interesting combo system (combo based), but instead easily gets trivialized and counterstopped by easy stuff
>>
>>4168545
>combo system
meant scoring system
>>
Here are the best games in the genre in my opinion.

>Final Fight
The arcade original. The best regular enemies and enemy combinations in the genre.
Con(s): No invincibility frames when getting up can get annoying. Can't do a desperation attack in the middle of your punches, which can also be annoying.

>Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
The first game is superior to the second game.
Con(s): If you take away all the non-action parts, the game is actually kinda brief.

>Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Fast-paced and full of violence and weapons. Flawless and seamless integration of guns into a beat'em up.
Con(s): The first 2 levels are boring (but the game gets much more exciting in the later levels).

>Guardians
Great characters with tons of moves and huge combos.
Con(s): The game is a bit on the easier side, and some characters are overpowered as fuck.

>Alien vs. Predator
Superb action and well-polished presentation.
Con(s): Shitty grab hit boxes. Lynn's gun, mobility, and reload glitch are a bit too good.

>Warriors of Fate
Crowd clearing, the game. Extremely fun once the game "clicks". Top 3, in my opinion.
Con(s): Occasional shitty grab hit boxes. Your hit boxes don't always coincide with your character's sprites.

>Crime Fighters 2
Great original game mechanics, tons of weapons, tons of charm.
>>
>>4168784

As for console games:

>Bare Knuckle II
Some of the best playable character variation ever. Max is arguably the best grappling character ever in the genre. Tons of enemies on-screen for a console game.
Con(s): The game mechanics has a thing where there's a slight pause when you hit an enemy, which allows an enemy one pixel away to counterattack or anti-air you. It's annoying, but then again the enemy's do pitiful damage and you get a shitload of extra lives, so not THAT big of a deal.

>The Ninja Warriors Again
Japanese version is mandatory. It's just plain well-made.
Con(s): One player only, but that's irrelevant to me because I play games alone anyway.

>Batman Returns
SNES version. Not revolutionary or brilliant, but extremely polished and well-made.
Con(s): The bat mobile stage is boring to me.

>Mighty Final Fight
Quite charming and well-made. Gameplay has more depth than meets the eye. Easy game but just plain fun to play through.
Con(s): The game probably could've added 1 more enemy per screen.
>>
>>4165927
Main reasons it's not

-Move list is very minimal. The later beat em ups like Violent Storm, Punisher, and Battle Circuit are more fun here

-Enemy health feels really bloated. Escpially the Andres. I'm tired of some health sponge enemy like him being the last one to be alive and I'm just stuck doing 4-5 rounds of punch combos to finish him off

-Sadam. Fuck this boss. The only tactics that work against him are all fucking cheesy. It's a very reptative boss fight where he rushes you, you do some cheese tactic to counter the rush, knock him down, repeat for 12 fucking times.
>>
>>4168784
>>4168790
>no Techno's games
>>
>complains about sodom
best way to spot a final fight newb
>>
>>4168867
Looks like someone needs to git gud.

>Move list is very minimal. The later beat em ups like Violent Storm, Punisher, and Battle Circuit are more fun here
Those games have tons of pointless moves. Every single move in Final Fight is important.

>Enemy health feels really bloated. Escpially the Andres. I'm tired of some health sponge enemy like him being the last one to be alive and I'm just stuck doing 4-5 rounds of punch combos to finish him off
Certain enemies have damage reduction. Use grab attacks which ignore the damage reduction. Also, read up on damage scaling for throws, if you have a genuine interest in getting good.

>Sadam. Fuck this boss. The only tactics that work against him are all fucking cheesy. It's a very reptative boss fight where he rushes you, you do some cheese tactic to counter the rush, knock him down, repeat for 12 fucking times.
Learn some fucking strategies.

No offense, but your entire problem with this game is that you're bad at it.

Trust me. One day, after you've beaten all the newer beat'em ups out there, you'll finally decide to give Final Fight another chance. Once you actually put in the time and effort to figure the game out, you'll realize why so many people consider it the epitome of beat'em ups. I went through the same thing.
>>
>>4166434
I played the shit out of this on my PSP at work.
>>
>>4168790
No love for Nekketsu Oyakko? Has one of the most fleshed out engines in the genre.
>>
>>4168901
>Nekketsu Oyakko
Never played it.
>>
>>4168873
technos games are only good from an archaelogical standpoint
>>
>>4168926
Shadow Force would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>4168889
You arn't addressing any points. I'm not complaining about difficulty you illeterate. I'm complaining about BORDEM boring parts of the which is also EASY.

Let's take the part where you have to fight 2 Andres in a cage match. I go left, throw the first andre. Pick up a weapon, stand in one spot and mash the attack button. Takes about 8 fucking attacks to down those guys. You could do it with your eyes closed. It's a time sink with no real challenge.

Same issue as when you have a lone andre after clearing up everyone else. You just mash the attack button over and over and watch him run into your fists. Might take 6 rounds of that if he has enough health. Abother boring situation that can be done blind-folded.

Or how about the stale move-list, any responses to that? That only componds the health-sponge enemies. I don't even have any variety to mix it up.
>>
>>4169064
Name your top 3 beat'em ups, spelling bee champ.
>>
>>4169064
>Same issue as when you have a lone andre after clearing up everyone else. You just mash the attack button over and over and watch him run into your fists.
No you grab him and do suplex/knee attacks since it's much faster, way to prove you are shit at the game famicom
>>
>>4169117
And now you're trying to change the subject to character attack rather than addressing the fucking game. I'll name a game and than you'll come up with some half-assed complaint about it, insult me. And than have to avoid ever actually discussing any points.

>>4169130
You arn't addressing the problem that health sponge enemies are challengeless, repetative, and a chore after you cleared out all the lesser mooks. You're nitpicking and skipping the problem. I don't even think it's a good nitpick! I see guys like michaelpf08, using the technique I mentioned, and he's no deathed every beat em up ever made!

You also failed to address the double Andre cage fight, because there is no counter to that either! Not a single counter-arguement in your post or the guy above you. Just trying to avoid the subject and whiny bitching!
>>
>>4169180
I already addressed all your points, fucking retard.

Here's the facts: YOU yourself suck at Final Fight. You're basing your stupid "points" from what you've seen on YouTube. You're basically one of those retards who act like an expert on a game after watching a couple speedruns or 1cc's on YouTube, when you can't do the same yourself. If you were able to then you'd realize that the fights you're complaining about actually require some amount of skill and experience in pulling them off. All YOU did was watch some YouTube videos and saw the solution, skipping the actual process required to come up with and execute the solutions. Furthermore, if you'd actually played the game yourself instead of merely watching them on YouTube then you'd realize that those strategies aren't 100% foolproof and if you mess them up then you'd face far more severe consequences than in other beat'em ups. You would also realize that the game is FUN when you're actually the one pulling off those strategies. Based on the shit you've said about this game, not even knowing about damage scaling and how to effectively deal with Andore, it's 100% clear that you're a fucking newb at this game.

Now then, name your top 3 beat'em ups, idiot.
>>
>>4169180
>You arn't addressing the problem that health sponge enemies are challengeless, repetative, and a chore after you cleared out all the lesser mooks.
Not the guy you're arguing with, but doesn't this happen in every beat-em-up? The challenge in these games comes from managing large crowds of enemies. They're not all going to die at the same time, so sometimes you're just going to be cleaning up instead of doing anything skillful.
>>
Are there any beat em ups more like Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure; more of a platformer than a large plane.
>>
>>4169218
You're looking for sidescrolling FTGs. Check out Ninja Warriors on SNES.
>>
>>4169218
Astro Boy Omega Factor
>>
>>4169225
>>4169226
Thanks
>>
>>4169180
No interest in replying to someone with little skill nor experience with the game honestly, you are nitpicking like 1% part of the game pretending the whole game is bad. Already stated the tl;dr a while ago anyway: >>4168886
>>
>>4169206
Terrible analysis. Simply terrible. I only watch youtube videos of things I have already mastered because it's amusing to watch them get creamed by someone even better than me.

But go on. Tell me how the cage fight with 2 andres where you just toss one into another, pick up a weapon, and mash the attack button for 40 seconds, being able to win fucking blind-folded is "fun". Escpially after your 10, 20, or 50th run through Stage 3? You've been fucking stalling about addressing ANY points and have been just trying to do character attack. The fact is that my points would still stand if I told you my favorite beat em up was The Simpsons! The move list would still be small. The grind against lone andres, holleywoods, bill bulls, and the like would still be slow and tedious. And the cage fight would still suck!

>>4169214
It's the amount of time it takes. In other beat em ups the larger mooks do not have nearly as much health so cleaning them up takes almost no time. You arn't stuck mashing the attack button or spamming throws for 6 consectuive times against some lone mook. Not to mention the these later ones also give you more moves, so even when you do get into a boring 1v1 you can still mix it up with some of the more unorthodox attacks.

>>4169240
Almost every single that involves an Andre has you clearing out the basic mooks than grinding out Andre's health by looping the same attack over and over. And it's not just limited to him, a lot of the holleywoods or bill bulls also end up in this situation. Hell I even mentioned one of the damn bosses having this problem: Sadam is all about doing the same cheese trick on him over and over. That's not 1% of the game.

Not to mention no one has addressed the low number of moves in this game. The later beat em ups like Violent Storm, Punisher, and Battle Circuit just have so much to the combat.

Another attempt to avoid coming up with a counter point by implying IGNORING it.
>>
>>4168886
I know of 2 ways to beat him. There's probably more but I havn't discovered them myself. Neither way makes the fight fun.

It's a terribly lame fight. There's no mix at all. The better you get at the fight the more you keep Sodom looping the same thing over and over and being countered with the same attack over and over.
>>
>>4169406
Sounds like every boss in Streets of Rage 2 mania mode.
>>
>>4168867

I would agree damage output on enemies is a little low in final fight , but that is what infinites are for. Also Andores are resistant to punches, you are supposed to grab them and knee/bash throw loop them.

I also hate enemies getting out of throws randomly and max rank El Gados/Hollywood instant slide and full screen off screen jumps.
>>
>>4169401
>Terrible analysis.
And this is coming from the faggot that sucks at the game and bases his shitty opinions just by waching some videos kek

By the time I clear mooks Andores have very little health and I kill them fast, not the game's problem if you are complete shit at killing Andores fast. And no, fast punching isn't the most efficient way to kill them you fucking newbie retard.

In a game like SoR2 the fat guys have way more health than Andores and you have to spend quite more time with fighting them alone, meaty enemies that end up fighting alone isn't a strange thing in beat 'em ups, maybe it's strange if you are a retard who has zero experience with the genre.

>muh Punisher
Final Fight for retards, spam grenades to win

>Battle Circuit
Final Fight for retards, charge attacks trivialize all bosses, you get like 5 lives near the end

Thanks for proving you prefer pleb easy games
>>
>>4169417
It's a problem in a lot of earlier beat em ups. They solved it once they got into the later games. Capcom and Konami's best beat em ups where the last few ones they made, preciously because they were so fine-tuned, learning lessons from previous games mistakes (and possessed more expanded move-sets).

Beat em up discussions are generally fixated on the early one's the only late era beat em up . I suspect this has to do mostly with the later one's getting limited releases and thus not being as well known and by the time they did hit the arcade's people were more interested in 3D games. Violent Storm is easily Konami's best beat em up but gets very little attention compared to their early Simpsons and TNT which where their worst.

The best beat em up is definitely from that later era. I'm not sure exactly which it would be and I haven't played them all extensively anyway.

>>4169430
You just sound like a fanboy. Hating Punisher and Battle Circuit is what gives it away. Hating games is ugly, only ugly people do that. For me that means I am no longer interested in your opinion. All of your posting has been filed with nothing but spite and now you're even hissing at even more stuff. (inb4 'well u hate Final Fight', criticizing a choice is not hate. Insulting a game is hate)
>>
>>4169515
>You just sound like a fanboy.
And this is coming from the faggot shitting on Final Fight while overrating inferior games.
I can criticize Punisher and Battle Circuit because I've played and no missed both games (they are ok but unbalanced and broken). Meanwhile you are shitting on Final Fight by watching fucking youtube videos lmao.
>>
>>4169515
You're a fucking idiot. Violent Storm has the cheesiest boss strategies of all time. The most efficient way to beat most bosses is to throw them in a corner then pick them up and throw them again and again and again. Violent Storm boss fights are some of the worst in the entire genre.
>>
>>4169565
You're methods of debating are so vile and disguesting that I can't trust you for any accomplishments you did in any games. You spent the last 6 posts LYING about what my points were to avoid addressing them. Even if you were telling the truth about being any good at those, you're at best illiterate and at worst deliberately strawmanning. You cannot critisize ANYTHING and you've proven that because your typing consists of nothing but LYING and venom spewing.

You know damn well my argument has nothing to do with a youtube video. It's not in my origenal point and the only time I mentioned it was in response to you nit-picking. Hell you havn't even bothered defending that nitpick.

I give up man. There's no point in trying to mention anything to you because your more interested in being a bitch, lying, turd than defending any points. You don't address the HP bloat problem but nitpick over how the bloated enemies are killed or how much I like to watch yotuube. You completly avoid the topic of a small move-set (probably because it's a lot harder to smoke-screen that point!)
>>4169590
Why do you people nitpick the most significant of shit? How about addressing the move-set, something which no one has bothered discussing. How about trying to defend the point about health bloat? Fuck man you went after the smallest issue and you didn't even come up with a good defense. FF and VS have the same number of cheese bosses: Drigger and Sodom.

Do you even THINK before you type? This guy >>4169417
had a far, far more intelligent counter than the combined works of you and the above poster combined.
>>
Reminder that the butthurt faggot is the SOR3 troll with a new shtick. Reminder to not reply to him.
>>
Knights of the Round is objectively the best BSFTGLGBTQA. Glad I could help.
>>
>>4165927
punisher is a lot better.
>>
>>4165937
>belt scrollers
Eat shit, nobody used this term, you revisionist cuck.
>>
>>4170594
That's the original term. The interviews from the original Japanese dudes that made that stuff use the term.

Apparently the starting point is now 'revionist'
>>
>>4168873
Fucking this. If River City Ransom isn't even on this list, you are a faggot and you don't know what a good game is.

op, enjoy your crown of dicks, king faggot.
>>
>>4170610
RCR is kinda grindy and casualized, Renegate is a much better game.
>>
So many belt scrollers, so little difference between them
>>
Are there any good belt scrollers on the PSX? :3c
>>
>>4170707
Gekido
>>
>>4170707
Does Legend of Mana count? It's an action RPG, but it scrolls belts.
>>
File: Nekketsu-Oyako.jpg (173KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
Nekketsu-Oyako.jpg
173KB, 500x497px
>>4170707
Pic related, but it's better on the Saturn.
>>
>>4165937
You're wrong the real genre which I know it's what it's called cause I used it when I was five is "walk up to the bad guy and beat them up game".
>>
>>4170452
>You're methods of debating are so vile and disguesting that I can't trust you for any accomplishments you did in any games.
Post your fightcade then faggot, I can wipe your ass in any of those games because you are nothing but a shitposter with zero knowledge on the genre nor those games.

>muh moveset
Have you even played Violent Storm? people just breeze thru that game just using the rushing attack you, even the best players in that game admit it's not that good designed.

Damn you are a helpless uneducated retard, don't post about shit you have no idea next time you dumb cunt.
>>
Must you faggots fight all the time

Also how do I keep fast enemies from beating me up as Max
>>
>>4170961
the answer to all problems as max is to spam the slide
>>
this thread is the famous "look I'm an autistic manchild and you all should call beat'em ups belt-scrollers while I pretend to discuss about games"
>>
>>4165927
>>4165932
>>4165937
Beatemups and fighting games are different genres, son. One is based around dueling an equal match using special moves and mindgames, other is based around pummeling hordes of enemies mostly by maneuvering to not get surrounded and mashing the punch button.
>>
What are the best 3D beat me ups? I've played Fighting Force, Die Hard Arcade, and Dynamite Cop. I fucking love God Hand, but it's not retro.
>>
>>4170973
Fun fact, beat 'em ups used to be called fighters before vs. fighters came around.
>>
>>4170981
Tekken Force mode? I can't even think of any retro ones since most 3d beat em ups in general are shitty.
>>
>>4170981
Jackie Chan Cuntmaster
>>
>>4170613
this is a man of tastes
Renegade is fucking sold for being the first belt em up
>>
File: 449030-14_abigailstage01.jpg (490KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
449030-14_abigailstage01.jpg
490KB, 1920x1080px
>>4165927
Beat 'em ups are my favorite genre alongside fighting games and action games and some years ago I went through a phase in my life that I played a lot of games in the genre, especially on MAME since console ports usually weren't good and there were few original console games like Streets of Rage.

I liked SoR2 the most since my Genesis days but once I played Final Fight I couldn't go back to any other non-Capcom beat 'em up. Like, FF is the epitome of the genre, fucking Bay Area might as well be the textbook definition of a beat 'em up level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-BojXrk5c

Now this is all up to personal preference but still, you don't need a bloated movelist or gimmicky shit to make your game have depth. FF is deep as fuck for as deceptively simple it looks at first. I'd like to 1cc'd the game one day, it is hard as fuck.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.