[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this great? http://retroachievements.org

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: retro-achievements-2.png (200KB, 1743x1167px) Image search: [Google]
retro-achievements-2.png
200KB, 1743x1167px
is this great?

http://retroachievements.org
>>
>>4162396
It's fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Gives old games new life.
>>
It's painless if you're running RetroArch because it's built in, but I cringed at the spelling errors in achievements because I'm an autist.
>>
Not enough games support it in my experience.
>>
>>4162396
My only gripe with it is it's PC only.

I'd love it if I could play those emulators on my 3DS I understand limitations. It's just wishful thinking.
>>
>>4162605
I was able to run it through RA on mobile. 3DS should have the same function if you're willing to use it.
>>
>>4162610
The 3DSs retroarch is pretty gimped to make it work at all. I'd be surprised if this worked on it.

The Vita's RA might work. Apparently it already supports netplay.
>>
>>4162610
But I thought RA runs slow af on o3ds (yeah, o3ds poverty race here)
>>
I've never really understood achievements in any game

why would it matter whether the game acknowledges what I did or not

wouldn't it be better if something narratively coherent within the game acknowledged it or I got some sort of tangible gameplay reward like an infinite ammo headband
>>
>>4162396
Playing games for achievements.
Please take this to
>>>/v/
>>
>>4162627
>why would it matter whether the game acknowledges what I did or not
It delivers feedback and gives the illusion that it means something.
Same thing as when a jingle plays when you collect an important item in a game, but in a different form.

>wouldn't it be better if something narratively coherent within the game acknowledged it or I got some sort of tangible gameplay reward like an infinite ammo headband
Achievements have more of a social aspect to them. You're supposed to show them off, or see what percentage of players got that achievement too. They're also one-time occurrences, you can't get the reward again on a 2nd playthrough on the same account.
It's dumb and pointless, but so are video games.
>>
>>4162641
Some people find them fun.
Breathes new life to a game and helps you (lol) "achieve" things maybe you didn't know before.

Of course they mean nothing, it's just fun.
You know, the reason you play videogames in first place.
>>
>>4162396
Men. Challenges are cool, proof of completing challenges is cool, but I just don't think this works, especially the medium for it - since it's emulation only.
>>
>>4162715
Whats wrong with emulation? Its the easiest way to run an old game
>>
>is this great?

No, achievements are stupid "show them online" crap.
>>
>>4162396
Sure, if you're 12 and require pixels telling you that you're awesome to make your life worthwhile.
>>
>>4162396
If you like unlocking dozens of achievements you didn't earn when starting games due to glitches, thus making the entire system useless, sure.
>>
I actively DON'T buy games thas has achievements on them

Do I fit in yet?
>>
It's a cute idea. I don't really care about achievements but they're a cute concept and people who get worked up about them are surely bigger spergs than the people who like them
>>
File: 1487985792265.jpg (72KB, 392x370px) Image search: [Google]
1487985792265.jpg
72KB, 392x370px
>>4162396
>is this bait?
>>
>>4162645
>Achievements have more of a social aspect to them.
While I can understand the appeal, nothing beats showing off your skills live in front of an unsuspecting achievement hoarder when he thought you sucked at games because you have like 2-3 games on steam. Happened more than once, and I'm not even really good, these hoarders generally suck.
>>
>>4164887
Only if you turn on hardcore mode. Worth double the points then too (regular achievement pops and hardcore achievement)

>>4162605
And RetroPie. Easily one of the biggest install bases for it.

>>4162586
Yeah its an on going community effort. Most of the popular games you can think of like your Mega Mans, Marios, and Zeldas have all been done.

If you really start to like what they are doing, then hop in the discord news channel. Daily updates on the new achievement lists people have made for games.
>>
>>4162417
Also 110% this. If you are into it, its great. And gives you more reason to play older games.
>>
>>4162396
>retroactively applying modern cancer to retro games
>great?
Exactly how many times did your mommy drop you on your head summerfriend?
>>
>>4162396
Is there an achievement for beating bosses with 0 upgrades, sans Chill since you're forced to get dash during his stage.
>>
>>4162396
i personally dont think its thats great. the 7th gen (aka the validation gen) brought this stupid shit in an attempt to add.... something to gameplay experience? i like to play retro for the fun it already provides. i dont need a gold star for that.
>>
>>4162396
No, because achievements are cancer and you don't backport cancer into healthy games.
>>
File: 1498175599241.jpg (55KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1498175599241.jpg
55KB, 500x447px
>>4167675
Agreed. It's alqays a shitty pun paired with an event tied to normal gameplay.
>"Playing it Safe"
>Defeat Safer Sephiroth

Just writing that gave me stage 2 Leukemia.
>>
>>4162396
This seems cool. I imagine this could be good for people who don't have much will to keep playing the same game over and over, having bunch of smaller rewards on the way to the end could keep you motivated to finish the game.
>>
It's gay as fuck.
>>
>>4162396
Bad. Playing games only in emulation AND with modern achievements is the current epitome of what's wrong with gaming today. Nothing signals "XBox 360 was my first console" harder than this.

Wedge the inevitable in-game/emulator ads to 'support the platform' and somehow include purchased romhacks as 'paid DLC' to seal the deal.
>>
>>4162652
achievements are about as exciting as a checklist of "fun".
>>
>>4168840
Dude, you're a moron. Let me get this straight - these children grew up in the age of Xbox 360 and PS3, been taught to expect HD graphics with tons of polygons and shit in every game, and yet despite this they choose to play retro games because they think they are more FUN - and you have a problem with that?

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>4162396
Good achievements can be fun. As in, those that encourage you to do challenge runs or otherwise go above and beyond what the game requires of you. Achievements for progressing through the game normally are whatever.
>>
>>4162396
fuck trophies
>>
It's fun, but I wanna see more obscure games. Like Chaotix and 3DO stuff.
>>
>>4168864
> and yet despite this they choose to play retro games because they think they are more FUN

No, they play them because there are more achivements. If they just thought the old games were more more fun then they wouldn't need some social-indicator of themselves playing the game.

A kid sitting in a room playing Mario 3 loves just loves playing Mario 3. A kid live streaming Mario 3 while getting sick cheeve scores is an attention seeking little turd.
>>
achievements are the gayest shit. fuck you
>>
>>4169296
>No, they play them because there are more achivements.
If you seriously think achievements are the REASON people play games you are completely and utterly braindead.

Achievements are there to track that cool "ha! I did it!" moments. Have you ever beaten a level with the weakest weapon? Have you ever performed a challenge run? Have you ever tried to see how fast can you beat a level? That's the idea behind achievements.

They also have another metric - competitive. There are scores, sure, but also you can always see statistics of how many other people were able to get that achievement, especially hardest ones.
So unless you are now going to tell me that high-score tables are cancer, you probably should rethink what the fuck are you babbling on about.

>A kid sitting in a room playing Mario 3 loves just loves playing Mario 3. A kid live streaming Mario 3 while getting sick cheeve scores is an attention seeking little turd.
A kid sitting in a room playing Donkey Kong just loves Donkey Kong. A kid sitting in an arcade playing Donkey Kong with friends and an audience while getting highest score of the entire arcade is an attention seeking little turd.

This has literally NOTHING to do with 'modern gaming'.
>>
>>4169428
>If you seriously think achievements are the REASON people play games you are completely and utterly braindead.
Read your own argument and come back. If what you said above was true, then where was your position in the first place? You would have said "...this doesn't attract people kids to retro games" or something like that.

>Have you ever beaten a level with the weakest weapon?
>Have you ever performed a challenge run?
>Have you ever tried to see how fast can you beat a level?
Yes. Practicing over and over at a game and improving skills in these times is a rush. Nothing is better than self improvement through learning and refining a set of skills. Everyone should reach for their full potential.

>That's the idea behind achievements
Oh. I thought it was about having fun, self improvement, and pushing limits. I didn't realize it was about a digital trophy, checkbox off a list, and a tweet to the world.

>A kid sitting in a room playing Donkey Kong just loves Donkey Kong. A kid sitting in an arcade playing Donkey Kong with friends and an audience while getting highest score of the entire arcade is an attention seeking little turd.
Wait a moment... are you comparing competitive high scores with... achievements? Achievements are isolated units that can be done in chunks over a long period of time and ultimately show "I've played every way". Getting the highest score means that that one's ability to succeed on the same ruleset is BETTER than everyone else in the memory bank. Look at how many people hold the top score in Donkey Kong. Look at how many people got all the Achievements in a mainstream modern game. Notice a difference in the distribution curve?

>This has literally NOTHING to do with 'modern gaming'.
It has EVERYTHING to do with modern gaming, and you're either too young to realize it or you're blinded by being marinated in it.
>>
>>4162396
>look up megaman x acheivements.
>Done all except beat game withou upgrades.
>Do that.
>Bored with it again.
>>
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's other people have fun in a way that you might not prefer, but at the end of the day, who gives a shit? It's not like anybody who didn't already like these games is going "oh wow retro cheevos I gotta collect em." Why the outrage?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.