[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Better than Zelda.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16

File: alundra.png (3MB, 1419x1404px) Image search: [Google]
alundra.png
3MB, 1419x1404px
Better than Zelda.
>>
>>4162317
Sure why not.
>>
>>4162317
This is a good Zeldavania.
>>
>>4162317
I don't recall this awful cover
>>4162367
>Zeldavania
wat
>>
>>4162392
>I don't recall this awful cover

WD always made a bunch of variants. There's like 6 different disc arts too
>>
It's ok as far as willow-likes go but I could never get into it.
>>
>>4162317

It actually was though. Ridiculous amount of content. LTTP seemed tiny in comparison.
>>
Alundra and Landstalker are like Zelda if every single puzzle in Zelda was a casual filter

I've seen puzzles in Alundra make people -cry-
>>
>>4162496
It's a shame that kids now adays just play with Gamefaqs pulled up on their cell phone.
>>
>>4162496
Short story, have a friend, who played this on my recommendation, two months after it came out. He got so pissed playing the puzzels in this game, he threw a controller at the wall, breaking the controller and putting a dent in the wall. He held a grudge against me for a year over this.
>>
How is the combat in it? I'd be down for trying a new Zeltroidvania-like.
>>
>>4162901
>>4162367
>-vania
What has top-down action puzzle RPGs to do with any castlevania?
>>
>there will never be an Alundra thread without sonyfriends having an inferiority complex with Zelda

Also, Alundra is not even the best Zelda-like. Sega did better ones.
>>
>>4162929

about as much as Zelda (an action adventure game) has to do with Alundra (an action RPG). Besides the main characters wielding a sword and a top down view, they are NOTHING alike yet we get constant bait threads like ITT.
>>
File: 100_4156.jpg (307KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
100_4156.jpg
307KB, 1500x1125px
>>4162392
It's the manual's art.

>>4162398
I'm pretty sure WD only did disc variants.
>>
>>4163130
Damn that case art is 10x better
>>
>>4162317
which zelda?
being better than the first game isn't a huge accomplishment
>>
File: SLES-01135-F-ALL.jpg (136KB, 1000x991px) Image search: [Google]
SLES-01135-F-ALL.jpg
136KB, 1000x991px
>>4163142

I always preferred the pal case art
>>
>>4163152
Well to each their own anon!
>>
naisu baitu desu ne baka sempai
>>
>>4162496
>implying the puzzles being frustrating weren't the result of shitty base design, and that they were genuinely challenging

Saying this garbage game is good is the same as trying to say "Super Pitfall" was good and the only reason a person wouldn't think so is because "durr not hurdcore enuff" Horrible jumping mechanics, terrible platforming, game couldn't handle differentiating environmental depths correctly at all.

>"hurr you gotta push da pillar perfectly along a line no bigger than the width of one scanline i order for it to go through a space wider than 32 pixels"

Yeah, no, this game is trash. Only fat tryhards keep this meme alive.
>>
>>4163130
I never understood why the game came in a double size jewel case. But I got my copy used from a literal who store a few years after it came out so maybe I missed something
>>
>>4164280
t. guy who cried and had to look up the solutions and then cried more
>>
File: alundra.jpg (197KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
alundra.jpg
197KB, 1024x768px
FUCK YES! I never ever in my life met anyone else who played this, not even on the internet. I've sent it to friends but they all got lost in the puzzles. One dropped it at the fucking statue pillar one! The one whose solution is some semi-lyrical verse stuff on a sign right next to it! I couldnt believe it.

There is something very special about this game to me- That there are uncommon events in the story. Whereas one would expect Alundra do succeed in every mission, there are failures. Top that off with these failures having real consequence- They die, people get sad, you actually go to their funeral, multiple times (where else have you seen this), and the mood grows less bright.

Please /vr/, play this fucker! If I had three genie wishes, one of them would be that this got a proper sequel, or spiritual sequel.
>>
>>4164443
The manual is too thick to easily fit under the tabs of a regular jewel case. That seems to be the true with most PS1 games when a single disc game comes in a double disc case.
>>
File: UXP7HTW.png (19KB, 224x262px) Image search: [Google]
UXP7HTW.png
19KB, 224x262px
>>4164914
>>
Landstalker > Dark Savior > Alundra > Ladystalker

shit tier: Alundra 2
>>
Even back when it came out I could never get into Alundra. Its pretty average.
>>
>>4164914
>1997: manual is too thick
>2017: no manual is the new standard
>>
File: 1495703939186.jpg (45KB, 640x849px) Image search: [Google]
1495703939186.jpg
45KB, 640x849px
>>4162317
I love Alundra in a lot of ways, but it has a lot of problems. There's a lot of tedious bullshit. For example, why don't puzzles automatically reset when you fail them? Why do you have to exit and re-enter the room like an NES game? Moreover, there are times when you will look in every nook and cranny for a solution, and you'll finally give up, only to have Meia pop up in a room you already went in multiple times, as if the game literally expects you to autistically wander around the dungeon until something just happens. Then you've got shit like the gilded falcons which can't be obtained if you exit a dungeon without finding them, reused sprites of major character (they seriously had to use Jess's sprite for a bar tender... not even a palette swap?), the fact your weapon/armor never changes when you get a new one, etc. It's a great game, with great music, an awesome overworld, great combat and controls, and I enjoyed it, but better than Zelda? It could have been, but it isn't.
>>
>>4164981

Dark Savior is one of those games I love but have only seen it mentioned by other people like twice ever, glad at least someone else likes it.
>>
File: 1490538694770.jpg (17KB, 540x365px) Image search: [Google]
1490538694770.jpg
17KB, 540x365px
>>4165753
>Why don't puzzles automatically reset when you fail them?
Because you can leave the room and re-enter to reset them.
>Why do you have to exit and re-enter the room
Well i'll be damned. This is the most stupid nitpicking complaint I've ever heard.
>>
>>4165773
>Well i'll be damned. This is the most stupid nitpicking complaint I've ever heard.
No, you're just an apologist for shit design. It would have been incredibly easy for them to design it so that the puzzle would reset itself if you failed it, but instead you have to exit and re-enter the room EVERY time it happens. Depending on the puzzle and the area you're in, it could take you 20 seconds just to leave the fucking room. Over the course of the game, that's potentially hours of time spent doing nothing but exiting and entering rooms just to reset a fucking puzzle. That is lazy and retarded and you should feel fucking terrible that you are enough of a cocksuck to defend it.
>>
File: necklaugh.jpg (62KB, 734x510px) Image search: [Google]
necklaugh.jpg
62KB, 734x510px
>>4165773
>d-dude it's not retarded to waste 20 minutes resetting puzzles in every dungeon, y-you're nitpicking! its not bad design, i-its difficulty!
lmao typical autistic "retro" gamer
>>
>>4165753
This. I like the game but too much of the "difficulty" is found in simply wandering around aimlessly, fighting against the shitty perspective, and dealing with counter-intuitive design features. It's a good game but ALttP still kicks it in the dick.
>>
>>4164454
Everything he said literally had nothing at all to do with the solutions to the puzzles. Keep trying, apologist.
>>
File: groupa.jpg (38KB, 330x280px) Image search: [Google]
groupa.jpg
38KB, 330x280px
>>4163130
>I'm pretty sure WD only did disc variants.

They actually did both
>>
>>4165802
>>>/v/
>>>/bant/
>>
>>4166189
>the autist making a downs syndrome joke
Irony.
>>
>>4166148
>implying what people tell you is their problem is there actual problem
I bet you think islamophobia is wrong too
>>
File: Here is the noose.gif (1MB, 2640x1974px) Image search: [Google]
Here is the noose.gif
1MB, 2640x1974px
>>4166317
>autism is the same thing as down syndrome
Fuck off and STFU
>>
File: 81DlosCueCL__SL1500_.jpg (176KB, 941x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81DlosCueCL__SL1500_.jpg
176KB, 941x1500px
>>4166341
>literally too retarded to realize that both autism and downs syndrome are mental disorders
Like I said, irony. Cleanse yourself genetrash.
>>
>>4166185
I forgot about the interior pics. All the external artwork was the same, though.
>>
File: 1433892716490.jpg (42KB, 248x289px) Image search: [Google]
1433892716490.jpg
42KB, 248x289px
>>4166390
I know they are, /v/tard. The criteria are different however. For example, most autistic people don't have the IQ degradation that Down Syndrome usually do.
>cleanse yourself
I refuse, dumbass who gleefully wallows in his hatred like a fool.
>>
>>4162317
I'm actually playing through this game for the first time right now and I can earnestly say: fuck it and everyone involved in its creation. I'm OFFENDED that someone thought the barrel-catching "puzzle" in the desert dungeon was good enough to not only put it in the game, but do it twice.
>>
>>4166619
>ha! I know the difference between autism and downs syndrome, /v/tard!
>literally proceeds to give an example of the differences between autism and down syndrome
The funny part is, you probably won't even understand why this was an autistic thing for you to do.
>>
>>4165745
Scust
>>
>>4165753
>that tie
Is this leather or what?
>>
>>4165767
We've had a thread or two about it. It is a nifty game and I like it. So increase your count to three fans at least.
>>
I liked Alundra 2.
>>
>>4167732
I want to give Alundra 2 a proper go, but the fact that every time you get hit the knockdown animation is ludicrously long drains my enthusiam.

Seriously, it's like 5-6 seconds long, it's ridiculously.
>>
File: 1501126605111.jpg (14KB, 172x190px) Image search: [Google]
1501126605111.jpg
14KB, 172x190px
>>4162317
/v/ get out
>>
File: ugh.jpg (130KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
130KB, 480x454px
>there's a tomb
>read the tomb
>"Here lies Alundra"
>>
>>4167732
Why would you spend precious moments of your life playing a shit game like Alundra 2 when you could at least waste it on something fun and high-quality like Ocarina of Time?
>>
>>4168052
Why do I waste my time doing anything? Because I want to, that's why.
Zelda is mad gay, btw.
>>
>>4168147
>Zelda is mad gay, btw.
No, you are "mad gay" because you would rather spend time playing Alundra 2 than good games. Your mother should have swallowed you and spared the world yet another homosexual.
>>
>>4162506
Kids these days don't know what gamefaq even is. They watch YouTube vids.
>>
>>4168251
>how do I make a fireball with Ryu lol
>let's find the answer on YouTube

Doesn't sound time-efficient or data-efficient, but whatever!
>>
>>4168375
It depends, certain things like map layouts are more efficient to watch on video than describe on paper.
>>
I really like the game if only for the fact that it seems to somehow always have at least one or two puzzles that will just really piss a person off.
like people ITT are actually going
>How DARE they make THIS a PUZLLE!!!
but every single puzzle in the game is something that's solvable without being given the solution, it's there, it works, the only reason people can't solve them is because their brains just refused to work in such a direction as to consider that possibility, and it just makes them so angry

they get so mad

I love this game
>>
>>4166390
down syndrome is a genetic disorder you moron
>>
>>4162317
By a huge margin.
>>
>>4168443
A lot of them are quick to grasp, but are really execution heavy.

Theres a lot of really precise jumping puzzles that just require a lot of attempts to get through and it gets frustrating.
>>
>>4168606
If the game was easy, I don't think I'd like it as much. It has parts that are hard enough that some people will stop trying and just never finish it.

Isn't that great? How good could a game that's made for everybody really be? I like this idea of small games that are just made for certain kinds of people.
>>
>>4168778
So you play it for the smug sense of superiority?

Sad thing is, as far as hard games go, Alundra is one of the easiest ones so it's not really good for bragging rights either.
>>
>>4168778
>I like this idea of small games that are just made for certain kinds of people.
Lmao yeah, they're called "autists".
>>
>>4168052
>Ocarina of Time
>fun and high-quality
I would've agreed if not for the fact that the game has this 'unfinished' feel going for it in many aspects.
>>
>>4168924
>they're called "autists".
Like the Nintoddlers itt that got triggered by OP's opinion?
>>
>>4168924
Why is everything autistic now, I have no idea what being impaired socially has to do with tastes in ancient vidya
>>
>>4169875
>Like the Nintoddlers itt that got triggered by OP's opinion?
Sure, both hardcore Nintendo fans and Sony fans alike are the same breed of retarded. I own both a PS1 and an N64, and I played Alundra from start to finish. The game is objectively inferior to Zelda. It could have been a great game, but it isn't. Anyone who says otherwise has no taste for game design. The game is a fucking mess of unfinished ideas, counter-intuitive puzzle design and poor perspective.
>>
>>4169883
>The game is objectively inferior to Zelda.
In comparison to LTTP or LA, it's obvious the game falters yes, but when put up against the like of the N64 titles I feel as it's more of a "complete" than the likes of those. To each his own.
>>
>>4162317
>Better than Zelda

As the biggest, most autistic Alundra fan I can't agree, from the outside Alundra has a lot of relations to LttP in terms of the top down view, controls, emphasis on puzzles and stuff like that. But at the same time, the story is far, far darker, there's no save the princess shit, yes there's save the village, but most die before the end anyway, the dream walking, there are different weapons and stuff like that. Unlike Zelda Alundra gives the player more of an insight into despair, religious belief, death etc.

Now I won't sit here and say Alundra is the perfect game, it isn't. I know it, you know it, we all do. Yes it looks great, plays great, brilliant story and an absolutely stellar soundtrack but there's stuff like: Working Designs butchering of the dialogue. Lars saying Melzas has slumbered under the lake for 1000 years, Nava has lived for 900 years yet Jess says the Shrine was sunk 10 years ago. ,(Could be an error in the story. But could be WD). The Legend Sword makes every boss up to Zorgia way too easy. (Except for Wilda for obvious reason) as well as the fucking Roulette. Fuck the Roulette
>>
>>4169880
It's 4chan's default insult for when you don't agree with someone.
>>
>>4169880
>Why is everything autistic now, I have no idea what being impaired socially has to do with tastes in ancient vidya
No no, not everything is autistic, but actually investing massive amounts of time into this game is autistic. Only people suffering from autism are willing to look past glaring flaws in game design and force themselves to have fun when they could be playing better games.
>>
File: golden_axe_warrior_screen_2.jpg (83KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
golden_axe_warrior_screen_2.jpg
83KB, 400x350px
Better than Zelda I
>>
>>4171946
Lmfao that game is fucking trash. The jews that made it even put a menorah on the status bar so you'd have a permanent reminder of how they fucked you when you purchased it.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.