[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lunar thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: 4854_front.jpg (82KB, 638x554px) Image search: [Google]
4854_front.jpg
82KB, 638x554px
I really want to get into this series, so I thought I'd get some tips before jumping in. I've read somewhere that enemies scale with your level, which threw me off a bit since I often grind in jrpg's and wouldn't want to get destroyed later on because I leveled too much. Is grinding really that harmful in this game? Also, which version of Lunar 1 should I go with?

Any tips at all would be appreciated.
>>
File: Lunar1399338381191.gif (29KB, 440x448px) Image search: [Google]
Lunar1399338381191.gif
29KB, 440x448px
Sega CD for both games.
>>
>>4161336
If you own that version then go for it, but if you're emulating I recommend the Sega CD versions of both.

Grinding isn't harmful, the games are pretty easy and straightforward. Just jump in and enjoy.
>>
>>4161346
no, sega saturn version is best.
>>
Saturn/PSX/PC for Lunar, Sega CD for Eternal Blue.
>>
File: 29-snatch.gif (185KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
29-snatch.gif
185KB, 640x448px
>>4161370
No, the Saturn is the version the PS versions are based on. Same thing. Original is better.

That said, the remakes aren't bad and still very worth playing if that's what someone has access to. Also if they love it, would give them a reason to replay the original versions.
>>
>>4161380
i wish people weren't lazy enough to not play both versions.
>>
>>4161409
This.

I have the sega cd and psx version of both, play all 4 games.
>>
>>4161380
>Original is better.
Except it isn't you fucking cock-sucker.
>>
Honestly go with the PlayStation 1 versions. Easier to find and no terrible save system in eternal blue CD.

Be aware though Eternal blue is becoming hard to find. Silver Star got a normal edition reprint so it's much easier to come across.
>>
I recommend the PlayStation versions then go back and play The Originals. They massively reworked parts of the story.

The ending to Silver Star is actually wildly different. And has some major changes that effects the rest of the franchise going forward. Aka The Last Dragonmaster and Zophar backstory.
>>
If anything, both Lunar Games need to be completely remade with a new translation and new story elements to link them better.

Have it done in a retro style that matches the old Sega CD and Playstation graphics.
>>
>>4161598
>new story elements to link them better.

Read all the books and papers throughout the game. They foreshadow a ton of stuff that eventually happens in Eternal Blue. The Vain library especially has a ton of stuff and actually name-drops Lucia
>>
Be prepared for a difficulty you don't find today in current RPGs.

The first few Dungeons and Forests will kick your ass if you're not careful.

Especially before you level up characters and start getting special abilities
>>
File: 1496971884263.jpg (30KB, 474x547px) Image search: [Google]
1496971884263.jpg
30KB, 474x547px
>>4161346
>>
>>4161606
This.

Also they heavily hint what would have probably been the lunar 3 plot.
>>
>>4161336
>Also, which version of Lunar 1 should I go with?

Just go with what version you think looks best.
You won't find a consensus here, that's for sure.
>>
Is the GBA version any good?
>>
>>4161670
It's okish. I'd go with the psp version if you want a handheld.
>>
>>4161484
That same scene in the remake. No cool animations, the forest is now just bushes instead of trees etc. The remakes are higher res but cut all sorts of little animations like opening doors as well as making things look more generic. Unless you love bromides, the originals are better.

>>4161591
A very fine plan.
>>
>>4161598

The only plot connection they need to fix is how EBC's plot is based on the Sega CD version of the first game, not the Saturn/PS1 remake. Otherwise, the games are connected enough as-is >>4161606.
>>
>>4161670
The translation isn't full of awkward humor and added fart noises, but on the flip side it's really dry and boring.

Take your pick.
>>
>>4161612
t. salty sonygger memester
>>
>>4161685
OK thanks, I don't have a PSP but I like playing RPGs during lunch.
>>
The localization and dubbing scared me away of this game forever.

Can't stop feeling this is kind of BoF I-II/Grandia/Skies of Arcadia in that they're well loved yet very mediocre
>>
>>4161598
>link the story better
More like tell Vic to suck a dick, a lot of that may very well be WD's fault.

>>4161336
Don't forget to pick up the patch that removes WD's gameplay altering bullshit, if you happen to not be using bought disc. Improvement everywhere.
>>
>>4162483
>More like tell Vic to suck a dick, a lot of that may very well be WD's fault.

This is almost a certainty. I still cringe at the Popful Mail dubbing. Sven T. Uncommon, that speech alone makes my ears bleed.
>>
>>4162209
It's okay then. But if you want a shitty gba port to play on your lunch break I'd give the Tales of Phantasia a go first.
>>
>>4162483
>More like tell Vic to suck a dick, a lot of that may very well be WD's fault.

Vic made all the important decisions for WD. He's the reason the games are the way they are.
>>
>>4162521
>kangaroo
>>
>>4162526
Huh?
>>
>>4162529
It's a translation error in GBA.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/how-did-a-kangaroo-sneak-into-tales-of-phantasia/
>>
>>4162547
Ahhh... I played it many years ago, didn't even remember that. I thought you were calling me Australian for a minute there
>>
>>4162521
its not that i Want a shit port, id just like to play a game thats more than gameboy. i havent had a chance to try lunar so i thought id give it a try. also ive tried tales of symphonia but i didnt care for it, is phantasia better?
>>
>>4162827
Ohh I know! That's not what I meant. I think overall Lunar 1 is better than Tales of Phantasia. but I think the ToP GBA port is better than the Lunar GBA port, if that makes sense.

I like Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny, but none of the others in the Tales series.

GBA has a lot of great stuff to play in general though.
>>
>>4162483
>WD's gameplay altering bullshit

What do you mean?
>>
File: lunar-fuckyouvictorireland.png (14KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
lunar-fuckyouvictorireland.png
14KB, 640x447px
>>4163402
They tend to tinker with things. In Lunar EB you gain magic experience as you battle which you can then choose what you spend it on to level up various characters spells or special abilities.

Vic Ireland thought it would be a grand idea if he made saving your game cost magic experience points. Because you know, save scumming in retro jrpgs was such a huge issue.

He had his fingers like that in just about every project WD ever did. Turned Silhouette Mirage from a fast run'ngun to a snore inducing grind festival.
>>
>>4162457
>Can't stop feeling this is kind of BoF I-II/Grandia/Skies of Arcadia in that they're well loved yet very mediocre
Spot on. Despite this, I enjoyed the first game a lot, the second one bored me, even if it's just more of the same. They do have a lot of charm though, and that's what motivated me to finish SSC.
>>
>>4163258
Thanks, I appreciate the insight. I'm thinking I'll go phantasia since lunar is missing some singing.
>>
SCD = PS > PSP >>>> GBA
>>
>>4164014
Enjoy! I hope I didn't steer you wrong, but I've played all three versions of each and think that's a better bet for your time.

People shit on GBA ToP a lot for not being a perfect port, but it's still a fun experience and works great for a handheld.
>>
Can someone explain the Lunar hype? I bought into it when Working Designs released their insanely lavish editions, but mostly because I was caught up in the WD collector weeb phase. Its just too damn easy, and the world didn't grab me.
>>
>>4164178
>the world didn't grab me.
The world grabbed a lot of other people.

It's an FFIV style rpg series with good balance. Lots of people like those games.
>>
>>4164196
>good balance

What does good balance in a fucking jrpg mean?
>>
>>4163432
a lot of these changes were probably thanks to video game rentals
>>
>>4164178
The world caught a lot of people's attention. It's suprisingly rich and fertile for not only the main stories but ton of side story esque stuff. Also you could do 2 to 4 prequels just on what you read in all the major libraries in game.

It's a damn shame Games Arts didn't try and turn Lunar into a big fantasy franchise ala Lodoss and Slayers in the 90s. It could have been amazing.
>>
>>4164556
Fucking this.

Especially if done in the ova format.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (28KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
28KB, 200x200px
>>4164556
>It's a damn shame Games Arts didn't try and turn Lunar into a big fantasy franchise ala Lodoss and Slayers in the 90s.

God that would have been incredibe.
>>
>>4164330
Mediocre, zero risks, boring
>>
I thought it was a major dick move that Luna never sent Lucia a note about what happened to her and how to deal with Zophar without having to scale the remains of Althena's Fortress to get what is essentially a pep talk. Like using the last of her powers, Luna sends Lucia a post-it note to Lucia's chamber that says

"Dear Lucia,

If you are reading this, I am dead. If Zophar comes back, grab a group of misfit humans that like to sass each other and have them beat the shit out of Zophar's minions, then Zophar himself. Supervise them until they unlock their inherent powers. Do NOT use your world-ending powers to kill Zophar. I like humans too much for you wipe them all out. Please.

Love,
Althena

PS. He likes to use trickery to achieve his ends, so be careful!"
>>
>>4164556
>>4164574
There was a manga than ran for quite a while and was cool. I don't think they translated any of it though.
>>
>>4164330
I use that term for rpgs that give the player a decent challenge with zero grinding. In the Lunars if you explore the area or dungeon you're in fully but don't actively stop to grind on enemies you'll be just powerful enough that the boss of the area is hard but just beatable.
>>
>>4164017
I actually prefer Harmony to Complete.
>>
>>4165180
He asked about JRPGs, not your sex life
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.