[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What version of this game should I play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Castlevania_SOTN_PAL[1].jpg (112KB, 380x384px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_SOTN_PAL[1].jpg
112KB, 380x384px
What version of this game should I play?
>>
>>4159590
Which?

PS1 and SS are both cool, have fun

/thread
>>
If you're emulating, PS1 version is still the best because it has the most accurate emulators.
>>
PS1. Saturn port's extras don't make up for its technical failures.
>>
>>4159590
Saturn for extra content (japan only)
PS1 for accuracy
>>
Well since you posted the box of the PAL version, make sure you play any version but that one.
>>
>>4159591
>>4159592
cheers, i'll search around for an emulator
>>
File: trollface.gif (9KB, 128x133px) Image search: [Google]
trollface.gif
9KB, 128x133px
>>4159595
>Saturn port's extras don't make up for its technical failures.
Sure they do. Don't tell me Alucard with the Lance of Longinus and running boots, Richter's new swag sprite, kung-fu Maria mode, and the new levels and enemies aren't cool as fuck.
>>
Do people hate the psp version?

Separately why is there no Castlevania general on any board? I was playing Dawn of Sorrow and wondered if it's an optimal experience for the ds games, or if i'm safe just dropping it once i've beaten it and got bored.
>>
>>4159704
>Do people hate the psp version?
I like all versions equally.

I also hate all races equally, but that's a story for another board.
>>
>>4159704
>Separately why is there no Castlevania general on any board?
not hip enough for /v/, not enough waifus for /vg/.

on /vr/ it's discussed so often that it doesn't neeed a general.
>>
>>4159635

You forgot the 'third hand' that you use to equip HP-restoring items, so you can a key to use them, rather than open menu to use, and then rinse & repeat.
>>
Since this seems to be the castlevania thread, does anyone know where I can get a pdf of the various artbooks?
>>
>>4159704
PSP version is the actual best version, has none of the performance flaws from the Saturn version, but has more content than the original PS version. Plus, in terms of localization, it's the only one with original japanese voice acting and eng subs. The only downside could be that the resolution is more similar to the Saturn version than the original PS version (a bit wider), but honestly it's barely an issue considering the other things you gain with it.
>Separately why is there no Castlevania general on any board?
Not sure about other boards but on /vr/ we have too much shitposting, in part due to a guy known as Australia kun, who is like a low-rate ACfag. They became stale fast and nowadays CV threads don't even reach 100 posts before they get archived, people just got tired of the same shit over and over. Maybe one day we'll see a Castlevania threads renaissance.
>>
Whichever is most convenient, even the digital release is fine
>>
>>4159704
>I was playing Dawn of Sorrow and wondered if it's an optimal experience for the ds games, or if i'm safe just dropping it once i've beaten it and got bored.

Order of Ecclesia is alright too. Purely in terms of combat, IMO it's the best of the three DS games. Many bosses, and some standard enemies, do not fuck around; you have to dive in, get a few hits in, and then back off, because they can wreck you. Curative items are crazy expensive, there aren't many equips that can 'break' the experience, and leveling doesn't help you too much.

Outside of combat, it definitely has its warts, though. Map design is not good. OoE, in terms of levels, attempts to bridge classic 'Vania to labyrinth 'Vanias; you have a bunch of levels that then lead up to a Dracula's Castle that is smaller that what's been seen previously. Unfortunately there are only about half as many levels as it seems, because it actually use each map layout twice, and just changes the background graphics.
>>
>>4159790
NOT RETROOOOOOO
>>
>>4159790

OoE was crazy rushed.

Also, honestly, the game is only fun on hard mode. You need to beat the game before unlocking hard mode.
>>
>>4159590
The PSP version. Yeah, it's a little annoying to have to unlock the game, but you could just use a guide (it's not that far in) and SoTN is a direct sequel to Rondo of Blood anyway.
>>
File: cotm.jpg (174KB, 866x680px) Image search: [Google]
cotm.jpg
174KB, 866x680px
>genre is called IGAvania
>best game of them had no involvement with Igarashi
>>
Certainly not the pal version LOL

50Hz buchered...forever. LOL
>>
>>4159590
None. Go play a worthwhile game instead and dont come back here asking what to play.
>>
>>4159590
PSP version.

Saturn Extras
In English
>>
>>4159590

PS1 Japanesse with English patch.
>>
>>4159985
Not exactly Saturn extras, it has the original japanese PS familiars (tengu and fairy), which were removed on all the western versions of SOTN, and Maria mode, which is actually not the same Maria as Saturn, instead they made a whole new moveset for her, based on Rondo Maria, so animals instead of kung fu.
But there's no extra Saturn items, music or areas, sadly.
Still I'd say PSP is the best version out of all.
>>
>>4160085
>instead they made a whole new moveset for her, based on Rondo Maria, so animals instead of kung fu.
And PSP Maria sucks and no speedrunners use her. Even Saturn gets more attention than the PSP version.
>>
>>4160145
She can't quick kill like her Saturn counterpart but she's still overpowered, she's got the animals and item crashes from Rondo of Blood.
>>
>>4160145
I wasn't even aware of speedruns with Maria.
Anyway, PSP ain't bad actually, her dash and downward kick moves are nice for going quick, I've tried to get the most % of the castle as I could with Maria.
I managed to get through the spiked area using her dash move, double jump and dove flying. Very tricky but I eventually did it.
>>
The Sega Saturn version is shit, don't listen to these fags.

This video tells you everything you need to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxGM1np2hU
>>
>>4159890
It's funny how most IGAvanias were "SotN with a twist" and full of reused graphics and stuff yet this one that came right after SotN was a whole different beast.
>>
>>4159985
>>4160085
if it doesn't have the third hand for items, then it's crap
>>
>>4160509
okay
>>
>>4160496
is there any other series that has reused 15 year old assets? fucking kek
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.