[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /vr/ like MUDs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: shitwolf.jpg (627KB, 1910x995px) Image search: [Google]
shitwolf.jpg
627KB, 1910x995px
Does /vr/ like MUDs?
>>
Never got into them, I only knew that they became early furry havens
>>
Every other post ITT will be about HellMOO and child raping
>>
>>4159202
I have never raped anyone in HellMOO, and I think it's really kind of sad that this is what the game is known for.
>>
I feel like I would've liked them in the past.
>>
>>4159121
I would like to play one that has an active 100+ playerbase at least
>>
>>4159385
http://www.mudstats.com/Browse
>>
>>4159121
I helped some people code a revival of MUD gaming in like 2009.

While I enjoyed the creative engagement, and the code itself is super easy, html level easy, it's not that engaging.

Guess I'm just a bleepy bloopy audivisual guy
>>
I did. Used to play a couple DBZ muds, and had some fun RPing. But today I've never found a mud as fun.
>>
>>4159121
Discworld mud is great.
>>
>>4159121
My friend found an exploit for dikumud and derivatives that let you edit player information to anything you'd like. He never publicized it, but we used to play muds together and he let me in on how to do it. So we would make level 500 characters in the early morning, 2 or 3 am, when we thought no one was likely to be watching, go wizinvis at level 500, logout then come on the next day during peak hours and wreak havoc. On one ROM mud we teleported this guy to a room with a snail in it like 50 times when he was trying to complete a quest and he thought it was part of the quest. Oh, man, the stories I could tell.
>>
I was on a mud kick recently so would recomend
>Alter Aeon
Favorite for general PvM goodness with a good population.
>3scapes
Interesting guilds and still mostly hidden and untalked about quests, no rent though which can be annoying sometimes
>Legends of the Jedi
Decent population, permadeath, RPI, but interesting Star Wars stuff
>Empiremud
DF-lite mud, build a town and have mooks obeying your commands, very low pop unfortunately.
>Hellmoo
Fun post-apocalyptic sci-fi, but all you'll ever see people mention is the rape.
and finally
>End of Time
Also unfortunately very low pop but a neat FF+Chono Cross/Trigger+Secret of Mana mud

>>4159385
Then you will probably either want Aardwolf which is fairly meh or one of the IRE games, probably Achaea, which is p2w as all fuck and the whales have thrown down thousands so they will destroy your ass in pvp 99% of the time.
>>
>>4159385
Do people actually interact in muds?
>>
>>4162797
That sounds fucking hilarious.

>>4163616
They used to, anyway. I played Nightmare LPMUD back in the late 90s and it regularly had 100+ players during peak hours.
>>
>>4163616
In the Roleplay Intensive or the PvP heavy ones they do quite a lot, but depending on the mud it can be tedious.
When it comes to Pvm stuff a lot of them are/went solo friendly until the highest tier stuff, but some of them have an active chatty community even when they don't bother actually dfoing stuff together.

TLDR: It depends
>>
I used to play Simutronics games BITD and I played Ancient Anguish for a few weeks.
I tried a few others.
I've messed around with various codebases: CircleMUD, Merc and SMAUG which I think are derrived from Diku.

>>4162797
Didn't know about the Diku exploits, though I'm not surprised. That's funny.
>>
>>4159121
There was once a mud called Ground Zero. Has anyone heard of it, or played it? It was a full-on PK MUD that was designed like a capture-the-flag FPS. Guns and grenades action. New players were randomly assigned to red or blue teams. If someone completed the objective the game would pwipe and everyone would start over from scratch. There were tanks.
>>
I had a character on 3Kingdoms back in the 90's. Back then it seemed to me it was the most popular MUD out there. Always 100+ people on at once, highly social environment.

Now no one talks about it. I visit a lot of gaming sites and no one ever brings 3k up. I would love to have qinfo from those old quests I never could figure out, but as far as I can tell it isn't out there anywhere.

It is almost as if people are afraid or embarrassed to admit being a part of that community. Did I miss something? Were they all involved in a Pizzagate type situation?
>>
>>4167448
Nah, sharing qinfo is still a big no/banable offence so only occasionally will some pissed of guy drop some of them.
Also the community semi-split with 3scapes happening, both are reasonably populated but neither as populated as 3k was.
>>
>>4159121
Used to play Icesus a lot, they're really fun games if you put the time in to learn the game.
>>
>Medthievia getting BTFO daily on rgmd
I miss the 90s
>>
Played Gemstone and DragonRealms to an unhealthy degree as a teen in the 90's.

No modern MMO can recreate the worlds and interactions like those did.
>>
I have a message for Raph Koster.
>>
What's the recommended path for getting into MUDs?
>>
>>4172062

>Get a mud client

>rifle through mudstats for a decently active mud that sounds interesting

>try it out, see if you like it

>wash, rinse, and repeat until you find you're hooked on one

>watch the hours melt away!
>>
>>4172062
Looks like >>4172075 pretty much nailed it.
I'd say go with Mudlet or Mushclient for a client. Mushclient is easier to find premade stuff for, but Mudlet keeps updating and if you know some basic regex and lua you can do a shitload with it.
>>
File: c.jpg (60KB, 613x414px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
60KB, 613x414px
>>4172075
>>4172252
>tfw using telnet on vicious pk muds where everyone else is using tt++
>>
>>4161086
I second this. You don't even need to have read the books; I didn't until I had been playing the MUD for a year or so.

I also begrudingly play the Iron Realms ones (don't, you'll get sucked in and then the reality of what >>4163109 said will crush your soul). Don't Forget: You're Here Forever, the MUD Experience.

I also play Lost Souls now and then.

I've always longed for a MUD thread but now that there is one I can't think of anything to talk about.
>>
Has anyone here ever developed a MUD? (Any MUD-Dev subscribers here?) How about making areas or even just serving as imms?
>>
File: 1358617062355.jpg (39KB, 626x480px) Image search: [Google]
1358617062355.jpg
39KB, 626x480px
>>4159202

>enter hellMOO
>immediately get inducted into a guild or whatever they're called
>one of the members says he's going to take me someplace cool to help me get started
>has me swim to an island with him, far far away from home
>meets a friend there
>they proceed to spitroast me for what felt like forever
>>
>>4172923
>play Lost Souls
It drew me in with the idea of playing a shoggoth and having to flgathl ythog to even be able to see, then crushed all my hopes with the effort of actually playing long enough to get to that point with their borderline insane complexity.

8/10 will try again one day
>>
>>4167698
Yeah this is an anonymous board. Would you like my qinfo? I have a lot of it. I still question why no one on any platform will acknowledge 3k even exists.

Does it have to do with Drew Curtis (Cletus on 3k) and how the mud compromised government intelligence back in the 90's?

It is very odd.
>>
>>4173705
The main thing that keeps me from really diving in and loving it is that it quickly turns into an uphill climb around level 20ish. You have to experiment a lot which often results in dying a lot, which slaps you with stacking penalties, which in turn makes it even harder to recoup your losses...

Also the other players are mostly shit imo. Rude, unpleasant and unhelpful. Still, all those race options make my altoholism salivate.
>>
>>4174721
>the other players are mostly shit imo. Rude, unpleasant and unhelpful.
I will never understand MUDs like that. I can only guess it is because a small group of players since the 90's have formed a hardened cyst of bitterness instead of wanting more players.
Lucky it doesn't seem to happen a lot and mudders are either crazy helpful or just quiet.
>>
>>4175607
I figure it's just the same "muh sekrit club"/"normies REEE" mentality that you see here.

Hopefully the ideological purity will be worth it when their games die for lack of players.
>We've spent years driving people away from this game; wasn't that fun guys?

>...guys?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.