[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has the community for the Quake games seemingly driveled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: quake-5541d50cd6.jpg (753KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
quake-5541d50cd6.jpg
753KB, 1200x1200px
Why has the community for the Quake games seemingly driveled up and died while the community for Doom has thrived? During the 90s and early 2000s Quake was THE place to be for modding, but with the death of Planet Quake they barely have a central community hub while Doom has doomworld these days.
>>
Probably because you don't follow Quake communities such as Tastyspleen or other fansites like quaddicted.
>>
Doom offers a unique 3D map, 2D enemies system that no modern game copies even though it was very common after Doom came out. It's balanced to damn near perfection and is addictive to play because of it. It's the Tetris of FPS games.

Quake on the other hand is an early 3D shooter that has unsurprisingly been surpassed since then and doesn't hold up as well. It's not that anything in Quake is bad, it's just brown and pretty generic overall.
>>
>>4158662
Quake has new released coming out almost weekly. Just get in the loop.

http://www.celephais.net/board/forum.php

A 15 map pack came out yesterday (map jam9), and a 17 map episode not long before that (retrojam?)

http://www.celephais.net/board/forum.php
https://www.quaddicted.com/

Its a smaller community than doom, but the quality is much higher imo.
>>
>>4158702
you are such a magnificent fucking retard
>>
>>4158741
Nice response.
>>
>>4158706
It's not smaller, just more fragmented into different niche scenes across irc, forums, and discord channels.
>>
>>4158768
Nah its smaller. Harder to mod for, harder to map for, less liked game (muh brown, muh not enough enemies, muh bullet sponges, muh too dark etc.).

There is no yearly quake awards like the cacowards, purely becuase the quake community isn't big enough and doesn't produce enough each year. smaller output, higher quality.
There is no "Doomworld Ironman League" equivalent in quake that I'm aware of, just one example of the kind of things the larger doom community has that quake does not.

I quite like the smaller size of the quake community. the Devs are right there helping you in the forums, no one is really a dickhead, not any drama I can see. High quality releases. less clutter and half-finished projects.
>>
1. Difficulty in modding.

With Quake, you can't just rip some sprites from other vidya (or convert a model from Gamebanana into sprites for weapons), change some variables in ACS, and call it a day. The increased difficulty puts off teens and people with zero technical experience. Granted, it's fairly simple to learn Quake modding's basics, but the idea that it's difficult enough that a trained monkey can't do it puts people off.

2. Not as much nostalgia attached to it.

Both Quake and Doom were big, but Quake's popularity was more limited to classic geeks because of it's modability, the higher specs needed to play it, and the hoops you had to jump through to play online back then. Meanwhile, Doom was popular enough to bring offices to their knees because all you needed to do was install it (or have the IT guy covertly install it for you) and you're ready to experience a mind-blowing and fun game.

3. Different gameplay

Doom is almost insultingly simple. Any Halo of CoD kid can beat the game with the Shotgun or Super Shotgun in a low difficulty because of how easy the enemies are to deal with and how powerful said weapons are. Quake, though, requires more movement skills and taking advantage of Quakeguy's speed in order to deal with enemies. Quake doesn't have a braindead OP weapon that's simple to use; the Rocket Launcher can hurt you and the Lightning Gun eats through ammo that is uncommon to find. And unlike Doom, there aren't any easy-to-install OP weapon mods that let you plow through difficult custom maps with ease.

I agree with >>4158795 though. The Quake community is small enough that things are generally friendly when it comes to modding and there are few, if any, drama queens. I prefer it over the teenagers, dramawhores, and nutcases of various kinds in the Doom community.
>>
There's the fact that a lot of Quake modders got work in the industry, whereas your typical DOOM modder didn't.

Also unlike DOOM, Quake and its sequels weren't copy-pastes of the original, so you'll see a lot of
>Only faggots prefer Q1
>not playing Q3 arena whew lad
bullshit community splitting.
>>
File: doom.jpg (140KB, 799x407px) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
140KB, 799x407px
Making a weapon mod in Quake is actually fairly complicated. You need to at least understand the basics of vector math, have a bit of QuakeC knowledge, understand how Quake handles fire rates and animation frames, and be able to export quake MDL files. It's very powerful (and was mind-blowing for the time), but if you're starting from zero knowledge it'll take you some time to get familiar with all the concepts.

Doom is a much easier process. You can follow a couple easy tutorials and have a working mod inside of an afternoon.
>>
>>4158685
speaking of quaddicted, has anyone here been able to access it in the last few days?

all i get is secure connection failed
>>
quake is about multiplayer, guys

international tournaments still exist and are a lot of fun to watch
>>
>series is competing with itself
>not as popular
>harder to mod
>QuakeC
Just look at about any other pre-2000s FPS community, likely to see same results, real shame too
>>
>>4158795
>muh brown, muh not enough enemies, muh bullet sponges, muh too dark etc
QII fixed this. Why does it get even less love?
>>
>>4159880
what? quake II has less enemy variety and are even spongier
>>
>>4159882
not true
quake2 has more enemies

the main reason q2 gets shat is the weapons were slower
>>
>>4159906
Quake 2's enemies, lol

>guy with a gun
>another guy with a gun
>bald guy with a gun
>a guy with two guns
>a guy with no guns
>a guy with three guns
>first boss: an even bigger guy with three guns
>random-ass beast enemy that only shows up in like two areas
>flying guy with a gun
>guy with a railgun
>chick with a gun
>final boss: a guy with four guns
>>
>>4158702
this
>>
>>4159880
Are you kidding me Q2 still gets tons of love with one of the more active Quake communities still going strong. Doomkiddies never cease to amaze.
>>
>>4158662
>Planet Quake
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a loong time
>>
>>4158662
DOOM was basically a dead end engine which with no further mainstream support and thus is only supported by hobbyists.

The quake engine was completely different and saw huge expansion throughout the years, especially by Valve and the half life/counterstrike engine, source engine, etc, even at a fundamental level CSGO still has hints of its quake engine roots
>>
File: erectile dysfunction.jpg (55KB, 665x416px) Image search: [Google]
erectile dysfunction.jpg
55KB, 665x416px
>>4158662
Pic is your answer.
>>
>>4158662
I have lived many places, and went to school in many places, and have gone to school in multiple countries

Not once, ever -- in ANY of my travels did any one ever mention Quake or acknowledge its existence

It sounds like it was never relevant to begin with and only the biggest, and most homosexual dick suckers are still around because no one else will blow them
>>
>>4160382
>your download will begin in 1 hr 30 minutes
>>
>>4160476
Don't forget Call of Duty and Titanfall
>>
>>4160489
both are the edgiest of edgelord edgy edgemeister games
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.