[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you play the Japanese or North American version of games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Do you play the Japanese or North American version of games. I'm thinking of only playing the JP version of every game made in Japan (save for text-heavy games) since I've come to realize that the games we get are localizations that tamper with the developers' original vision.
>>
Generally Japanese, unless the NA localization wasn't censored. Some games were fortunately spared from censorship policies, but that largely depends on the type of content that was in the original release.

Arbitrary changes bother me as well, like recoloring sprites or replacing things common in Japanese culture with their American "counterparts." I guess I can tolerate that to a degree, but not when the context of the game no longer makes any sense. (e.g. heavily white-washed characters in a Japanese historical setting)
>>
Depends. I play Japanese SFC and N64 games, but PAL and American for everything else.
>>
>>4158163
Why?
>>
File: firefox_2017-07-31_00-36-37.png (96KB, 781x857px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-07-31_00-36-37.png
96KB, 781x857px
Sometimes the version we got is the superior one like in Legend of Kage 2 Demon Sword
>>
>>4158147
Japanese unless the game was made by non-japanese
And jap ones are cheaper so there is that too
>>
>>4158171
Famicom and Mega Drive games don't fit.
>>
>(save for text-heavy games)
Why, don't those particularly skew the original intentions?
Always go for the Japanese versions, no matter whether they were originally Japanese or not.
>>
>>4158176
You could always get a Famicom and Mega Drive. If not, I'm pretty sure you can mod those to play JP games by pulling out some teeth in the cartridge slot.
>>
>>4158182
Because I can't read Jap.
>no matter whether they were originally Japanese or not
Lol, why would I play an American game in Japanese? Not to mention that those are usually terrible, like Spyro JP and its shitty camera.
>>
>>4158190
Because Japs know how to make games better. One or two bad examples don't change that.
>>
>>4158185
Or I could just not buy Famicom and Japanese Mega Drive games.
>>
>>4158182
Why would you go for a japanese version if its not made by japanese?
Unless the games has more stuff added I dont see a good reason
>>
>>4158195
Well you already bother to do it with SFC and N64 games. I don't see why not.
>>
>>4158174

Demon Sword's content was cut by more than half. I'm not sure why you would consider this the superior version.

What the review is claiming about the Japanese release isn't entirely true. You don't have a single hit point, you collect power-ups that function as hit points. They're all over the place. By the time you complete the first stage, you should have at least a dozen of these.
>>
>>4158196
>Unless the games has more stuff added I dont see a good reason

This is often the case. Manufacturing in Japan tends to be more expensive, as does retail cost. So items are usually of a sturdier quality, and with extras thrown in to add incentive. This is especially true of media like audio CDs and video games.

That isn't to say Japan doesn't produce any bargain bin media though. There's a series of games called "Simple XXXX Series," where XXXX might be the cost of the game in yen. These games are developed on smaller budgets and marketed to be more thrifty.
>>
>>4158196
The Japanese versions are often made by Japanese.
And they do add extra stuff and fix bugs, controls and the like.
Sometimes ports to superior hardware are also restricted to Japan.
>>
>>4158147
American if text barely matters like Megaman, however I do prefer to play fan translations typically if text is important as most translations back then weren't really that great. On rare occasions like castlevania 3 I will play the Japanese version.
>>
>>4158220
>most translations back then weren't really that great
Fan translations are hardly better.
>>
>>4158227
>Fan translations are hardly better.

If it all. We're talking about people who haven't necessarily studied formal English writing. I see fan translations that read like fifth-grade essays all the time.
>>
>>4158147
I played a lot of Jap version games simply because they were available long before US versions. Today I'll usually go for the US version as most people I am play with or are watching can't into moon. I'll play the Jap version if someone wants to see it or needs help with it. I'm not autistic about minor changes for localization but would play the original if the differences go on my tit.
>>
>>4158176
Get an adapter?
>>
>>4158476
Why? I'm not that desperate to play Jap games.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.