[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Disc 2 What the fuck happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

File: Xenogears_box.jpg (86KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_box.jpg
86KB, 256x240px
>Disc 2
What the fuck happened?
>>
Nothing you can't google.
>>
Ran out of budget.Ain't it obvious?
>>
>>4156715
KINO
>>
>>4156717
Why did they run out of budget?
>>
>>4156715
Idk. I never made it to the second disk
>>
>>4156720
Lack of talent, the same director fucked it up again with Xenosaga and had to split the game into three episodes.
>>
>>4156715
LUDO
>>
>>4156715
More focus on plot instead of boring random encounters.
>>
>>4156721
How come?

>>4156723
I know this is off topic, but is Xenosaga worth checking out?
>>
>>4156726
No, not really. Only the third game was any good but the get the full story you have to sit through the horrible first two games.
>>
>>4156732
Shit, can't the director do anything right?
>>
Most of the staff had to work to help finalize ff8, stop believing the memes
>>
>>4156726
I finished the first disk and got distracted and just never got around to it. Not sure why I really liked the game. I just think I was burnt out.
>>
>>4156750
I'm around two and a half hours into Disc 2, and am feeling burned out too. I don't mind the accent put on story in disc 2, but I hate how rushed everything is.
>>
One of the greatest frustrations I've ever experienced in my life while playing games.
>>4156726
If you can read japanese, the 1-2 DS remake is legitimately good.
>>
>>4156715
After the success of FFVII Square decided FF was it's biggest concern. Xenogears was being made when FFVIII was being made so instead of giving xenogears its proper budget Square basically just put more money into FFVIII. The same thing happened with Crono Cross, Square didn't give it the budget it needed because again, it wasn't FF.

TL;DR: In the fifth gen Square gave two shits about anything but Final Fantasy.
>>
File: Xenogears 2.0.jpg (17KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears 2.0.jpg
17KB, 480x272px
>>4156715
did any of you play the hack Xenogears 2.0?
>>
File: firefox_2017-07-30_12-56-41.png (44KB, 1025x568px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-07-30_12-56-41.png
44KB, 1025x568px
>>4156870
Seems to be just an undub hack. Not interested.
>>
>>4156870
I played it in japanese.
>>
>>4156882
but the controls change
>>
>>4156935
who cares
>>
I found that the disc 2 narration gave the events an epic scale.
>>
>>4156863
What a tragedy, it would have been at least less bad if FFVIII turned out to be an amazing game, but we all know the quality of that game.
Fuck Square, fuck it to hell.
>>
>>4157304

so ebin
>>
>>4156863
>Sources: Anon's ass
>>
>>4157304
How can it give an epic scale if you don't see almost anything that's happening? If it had at least more gameplay, it would have been better, but I do think that the narration mixed with the imagery (Fei sitting on a chair surrounded by darkness) and the minimalism (because of the lack of budget) gives it a sublime kind of feel, that's the only positive I can say.
>>
>>4156723
Xenosaga was originally going to be 6 episodes, but the 2nd game was received poorly and they had to wrap up everything in the 3rd.
>>
>>4156732
I thought there were plot synopses you could read in the third game that summarized the first two.
>>
>>4157583
It's common knowledge, lurk more newfag
>>
>>4156723
>I vaguely remember the Xenosaga debacle, wasn't it supposed to be 6 games initially?
>>
>>4160148
I'm not a huge Xenosaga fan but apparently Shion's story was supposed to be one game but had to be split in two parts, then they changed writers for episode 2 and the second part they originally planned eventually ended up becoming episode 3, or so I *think*.
>>
>>4157583

Every Squaresoft game is clearly gimped and half assed outside of FF. Even BFM was wasted potential
>>
File: 1463519393956.jpg (742KB, 2000x1406px) Image search: [Google]
1463519393956.jpg
742KB, 2000x1406px
For reference on Xeno-
>>
>>4160197
>Every Squaresoft game is clearly gimped and half assed outside of FF.
Not really, especially when FF itself has always been gimped and half assed outside of the visual presentation.
Once you go beyond pretty cutscenes, the games are pretty damn terrible even without considering how much of a bug ridden mess they are, FFVIII is one of the best examples of this in the series, especially Disc 4, which didn't even bother hiding the fact that they didn't finish the game, which in hindsight makes the sacrifice of Xenogears and SaGa Frontier all the more infuriating.
People really suffer a lot from the Pygmalion effect of big brands, it's true that FF has always been the special child for Square, but to say that it had better development or overall quality that other games is ridiculous, the games are just as incomplete, botched and half assed as all the others, they just try really hard to not make you notice it.
>>
File: 22142781.jpg (89KB, 576x393px) Image search: [Google]
22142781.jpg
89KB, 576x393px
I dreaded the approach of disc 2 but I actually enjoyed it as much if not more than disc 1. The plot driven focus and the boss rush felt so thrilling. Disc 2 felt like the perfect capstone to me instead of a 3 or 4 disc game.
>>
>>4160319
I understand not hating Disc 2, but enjoying it more than Disc 1? That's insane, it's true that the second disc had better bosses than the first one, but the lack of dungeons and towns to explore (you only get three dungeons (Anima Dungeon 1 and 2, and Deus, the third one being shit because of its annoying maze design) and one settlement (Crashed Shevat)) is aggravating.
>>
>>4156721
this. i stopped when i got a big red mecha and i realized it was all weeb shit
>>
File: 1483867952673.png (32KB, 1352x326px) Image search: [Google]
1483867952673.png
32KB, 1352x326px
>>4161031
I don't know, the game really felt like it kicked into high gear. Sure the dungeons fell a little flat but honestly the combat, Hyuga's sword and Emeralda made it feel completely different. I'd say I enjoyed it as much as disc 1, they both gave a different environment to that great same gameplay.
>>
“Honestly speaking, what had happened is Xenogears as a project was staffed pretty much entirely out of new staff members, young staff members,” said Takahashi, speaking through a translator. “Back then, we had the direction of, ‘All projects take two years and that’s when we need to get it done.’ So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn’t possible to get everything done.”

As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren’t going to hit their deadlines, Square’s higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when Fei and his team escape from Solaris.

“It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied,” Takahashi told me. “So we had a proposal—I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have.”

So they turned disc 2 of Xenogears into the montage that shipped with today’s game. Instead of playing through events like the world’s mutation and the search for Fei, you just have to watch them. And it was Takahashi’s decision—so he could finish the story he wanted to tell rather than cutting it off after the first half.

“I do think my decision was the right one to make,” said Takahashi. “Because if we had just ended at Disc 1 it would have been bad.”

Source: http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112
>>
>>4161123
What is that image trying to convey?
>>
The amount of shit that happens in the story for the amount you play in disc 2 is ridiculous. But honestly I was kind of glad the game doesn't subject you to the terrible battle system as much
>>
File: Soylent System.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Soylent System.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
My problem isn't that part of the game was compromised, it was that they didn't balance out what they cut, they did it all at the end.

Kislev could have been mostly cut. Fei should have just encountered Rico trying to bust up the Goliath Factory, then encounter Elly doing the exact same thing. They all get wrapped up in hijacking the plane together and Elly gets branded as a defector. The Kislev segment as it is reveals almost nothing about Kislev as a nation, or any true information about the Kaiser and the government other than that they're being manipulated by Solaris.

The Thames segment could have been cleaned up, and Billy's storyline could have been condensed. The purpose of the Reaper ship should have been rolled into the Zeboim ruins.

I would have given Hammer's right nut to have more coverage of the Soylent System, Mass Driver facility/other Zeboim ruins, and just some more involved cutscenes from the mutation parts/Elly & Margie in Nisan.
>>
>>4161627
>he didn't like exploring the Kislev Prisoner Block, Citizen Block and the Palace
>he didn't like the gear fighting mini game
>"Thames segment could have been cleaned up"
You have to go back
>>
>>4157586
Narration, and you do see a few scenes.
>>
shit game
>>
>>4161924
It's not that I didn't like those things, the point is that they could have made a more well-rounded game given their constraints. Would I have liked to have all those segments and more? Of course. But they could have planned better even if their hands were tied. Takahashi has always been like this, though. He got a second chance with Xenosaga and he botched the scale of that, too.
>>
>>4161965
I agree. If anything, the cut content could have been juggled around so that Disc 2 wasn't just three dungeons and cutscenes. Some stuff from Disc 1 could have been transferred over to Disc 2, for example.
>>
>>4157667
Not even hyperbole when I say this, but I have never seen a worse battle system in an RPG than Xenosaga II.
>>
>>4156870
I would be interested in it if it had a better translation and the text to be faster.
>>
>>4156720
The budget got pulled and pumped back into another game that also ended up being shit.
>>4157304
Ok kid.
>>
>>4162989
>another game
What game?
>>
>>4163085
FF8
>>
>>4163093
Triple Triad is awesome
>>
>>4156863
>The same thing happened with Crono Cross

What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>4156715
An inexperienced director and shifting resources towards FFVIII happened. Budget problems happen, but good directors know how when and where to spend money. You can't blame it all on FFVIII and Squaresoft.

>>4156882
Dubbing it "2.0" seems a bit unwarranted considering those changes.
>>
>>4160291

Harsh, but i wont disagree with you. FF was always mid-tier RPG franchise, it's reputation way overblown. The John Madden of RPGs
>>
>>4163272
>but good directors know how when and where to spend money
On what did the director spend a needless amount of money, in your opinion?
Also didn't he get a team full of inexperienced people and had to teach them things along the way?
>>
>>4160291
>sacrifice of Xenogears and SaGa Frontier
>SaGa Frontier
I didn't know of this, is the game similar to Xenogears in that regard? Does it have a lot of cutscenes in the second disc or something?
>>
>>4163287
Yes, you're right. Which is a waste, trying to save money by hiring inexperienced staff only to spend more time and money training them is a waste of money. The "Squaresoft is an evil company who only cares about money and took all the budget narrative" is really stupid if you think about it.

But supposedly (I'll look for the interview) the main problem was time management and the team giving themselves a self-imposed limit that was further dampened by having to spend time training new staff and the second disc disaster is due to time as opposed budget reasons.

Though it's very plausible that the strict deadline was due to higher-ups not wanting VIII and Xenogears competing for whatever reason if Xenogears ended up being released around VIII.

>>4163292
Not really, it's kind of like SD3 where you have a selection of characters (scenarios) to choose from as your main character with their stories interconnecting. One of the more major cut content is a scenario being dropped entirely, with others being reportedly being modified/cut down down to various amounts. There's also some things that are just *there* as if they were meant to be part of something bigger (possible the cut scenario) but there's no jarring shift in gears like in Xenogears' second disc.
>>
>>4163325
>trying to save money by hiring inexperienced staff only to spend more time and money training them is a waste of money
Did the director do this, or Squaresoft?
>>
>>4163272
>Dubbing it "2.0" seems a bit unwarranted considering those changes.
>>
>Frontload the portion of the game that is tedious and meandering as fuck

>Utterly decimate content for the second disc, when things finally start to get interesting

What did the complete fucking morons who made Xenogears mean by this?
>>
File: 4401_383663.jpg (111KB, 1672x1498px) Image search: [Google]
4401_383663.jpg
111KB, 1672x1498px
Anyone have have any gifs/webms from when Id was fighting gears on foot?I can't even find anything on YouTube without sifting through walkthroughs. This game seriously got to DBZ levels sometimes. And it was rad.
>>
>>4166152
>Frontload the portion of the game that is tedious and meandering as fuck
What did the pleb mean by this?
>>
>>4166238
>his game seriously got to DBZ levels sometimes.
You could fight against the bigger enemies (which you are supposed to fight with your mechas) at the end of the game, before the final dungeon, because your party gets so strong.
>>
>>4166238
>>4166327
Made one if anyone wants it.
>>
If you could get Hyuga's sword earlier in the game after you've beaten it initially, the game would jump up to 11/10.
>>
>>4167864
>the game would jump up to 11/10
His sword is great, but let's not overdo it.
>>
Been trying to play through BoF 4 but this game is too much fun to come back to.
>>
Is there a place to read a better translation for this game?
>>
>>4169217
http://web.archive.org/web/20121223024747/http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/

There wasn't a full script, but this site did have a few notes/discussions on some of the crappier segments of the translation.
>>
>>4170739
That guide is a perfect example of pro vs. weeaboo translations
>>
>>4156715
Not enough money or time. As to if that's Squaresoft's fault or not, we may never know.
>>
>>4170739
>"... humans are truly unusual living beings ... like shattered fragments of a mirror."
SO DEEP LIEK OMG
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.