[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guilty about ROMs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: Guilt-1.jpg (89KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
Guilt-1.jpg
89KB, 1279x720px
Hi

I have a HTPC setup on a Plasma TV with every single NES, SNES and Mega Drive game ever made. Emulation may not be 100% perfect but it's probably at least 99.9% perfect.

Guys, I gotta say, I'm having so much fun. It's like I'm having the time of my life. These games have so much depth, so much playability. I actually look forward to getting home. I know I can spend dozens of hours each on scores of games, because there is enough content, challenge and fun available there. It really makes you realise how shit modern 'retro' games are. The games of the 80s and 90s weren't going for the retro feel they were going all out to be great games.

But there is a problem amongst all this. A growing sense of guilt, because I didn't pay. I had a decent cartridge collection back in the day but I long since sold it.

The thing is it would be impossible for the entire ROM set to be released as a commercial product. Too many legal hurdles, especially so for licensed games. It would just be impossible. Maybe they could bring something out for $XXXX dollars... I might even consider that because the value is there.

I feel conflicted. On one hand, copyright is bullshit created by government to protect corporations, on the other hand, so much craftmanship, care and hard work went into making these game and I am enjoying the fruits of that without giving anything back.
>>
None of the money that would go to buying any of these games would go toward any of the original creators, just the companies that are cashing in on rereleasing them. Piracy is only ethical.
>>
you wouldn't be able to in a lot of those cases. go ahead and pay for whatever when you get the opportunity but there is no easy way for any of your money or support to reach the original devs.
>>
If the game you pirated is older than 20 years, it should be in public domain anyway, since 90% of money publisher receives in the first year after release of the game.
>>
>>4156194
Are you catholic or some shit?
Those developers/artists made a handsome living, put their kids through college.
Meanwhile Apple Computer owes billions upon billions in evaded taxes and marks up their product to a gouging level.
It's no different for Nintendo.
Fuck em, they all got paid well.
>>
>>4156328
Apple is a bad example, there were never any good games on Apple computers.
>>
>>4156359
kek
>>
Fag.
>>
>>4156194
pay 99$ for a game 20 years old because muh rare? did do you know the company who made those gaymez dosen't exist anymore?
>>
>>4156372
Are you retarded or just American?
>>
>>4156194
I believe that the only option you have is to turn yourself to the police, dude.
>>4156380
>tfw Nintendo is slowly reviving Hudson.
>>
You mean you didn't delete your ROMs after 24 hours? You messed up
>>
>>4156194
You can pay for roms if you want, sega has a bunch of them for sale on steam.
>>
>>4156194

Many of the companies that you are playing still exist. If they still exist, and you enjoyed the game you just played, buy the official digital copy. As another anon said Sega has many of them on Steam. Buy them there. This will make you feel better - if not, not sure what to tell you.

10 years is a long time. 20 years is a long time. A lot happens during that timeframe - people and companies come, go, die. If retro games make you happy just enjoy the moment, which is the whole point of video games in the first place.
>>
>>4156203
or just some guy on ebay
>>
>>4156194
maybe you can think of a way to do something nice in return.
>>
File: 1V4EiZ7cAhEwyBpijesgMUT2[1].jpg (181KB, 1098x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1V4EiZ7cAhEwyBpijesgMUT2[1].jpg
181KB, 1098x1200px
>>4156309
This. The way modern copyright law works is far, far from "for limited times to authors and inventors" as stated in the constitution thanks to the ever increasing incorporation of the world. We're at a point where most people like OP actually think in the twisted way the law works.

>>4156194
If you were to buy these games used, it would be only the resellers profiting. If you bought a "mini console" it'd only be the parent corporation (Nintendo) and in some cases some trickle down to the current businessmen who own the publishing rights to third party titles by essentially defunct companies - most cases with "flashback" consoles. Also, yes. Many great games are so tangled up in copyright hell it's unlikely you'll ever be able to legally purchase any copy other than ever-inflating originals.

So as I like to say, if you really are feeling guilty about how much you're enjoying some game for free, send the game's actual designer (or his widow) a nice fruit basket. Guaranteed more than he'll get from you buying his game legally.
>>
>>4156707
What constitution are you referring to?
>>
>>4156713
The US constitution. The Berne convention was already fucked but we're even far beyond that. It's been over 50 years now since Walt Disney died for example.
>>
>>4156729
Too bad American games are shit, so referencing that constitution is pointless.
>>
Very odd but interesting thread, op. I also have to echo whether you're Catholic.

I'm not a pirate. I pay for most of my entertainment, because money is the only opinion that matters to the companies that churn this stuff out. If a game is not a hit right out the gate, it's doomed to obscurity more often than not, and it's the fans who then keep those titles alive and reputable.

But, the truth is that as time goes on it'll be less and less likely that a comprehensive retro game collection will become commercially available. Companies treat their old IPs like the cookies grandma keeps in the cookie jar: she'll smack your hand when you try to take one, but you sit there wondering why the hell she keeps them around when you have no idea who she's saving them for. They're her cookies, sure, she can do whatever she wants with 'em, but fucking Christ the're just sitting there, no one's eating them and I don't even.
>>
what a faggot
>>
>>4156769
As a nominal muslim from Kazakhstan I find it hard to understand the "guilt" idea from downloading ROMs. Like in my mind guilt is for when you borrow a game from your friend and don't give it back?
>>
>>4156203
fpbp

OP, if you want to spend money on something, pay for indy games you find and like.
>>
>>4156828
>Like in my mind guilt is for when you borrow a game from your friend and don't give it back?
Only you can answer that. I can't tell you what you think.
>>
>>4156828

It's a sort of joke in the US that Catholics operate in very black-and-white absolutes, and feel guilty for any non-saintly act.
>>
>>4156847
Ah yes, I know people like that.

I don't pirate new games, but if it is 20 years old and I can emulate it well? I know the company gets paid if you buy the game virtually but I would bet a lot of money that the company who made the game gets almost nothing from Nintendo or Sony right?

Also people who emulate would probably never buy the game they play.

I guess I have no new arguments that people have already said...

But $200 Earthbound is stupid.
>>
>>4156778
This
>>
>>4156194
Good for you. Most people here buy flashcarts just to make a thread about how they regret spending money on it.

Thank god summer is almost over. These underage think retrogaming is a cause they should defend, lulz.
>>
>>4156194
This is either a troll post or you seriously have had your perception twisted by corporate interests. If this is serious then you need to re-evaluate the way you see the world.
>>
>>4156194

mega or torrent of your games please. I want to share in this guilt.
>>
So... you're guilty about pirating 25 year old games? You could always buy them off Wii VC etc if you want to obey Moses.
OP is a nutcase
>>
>>4157041
How new are you?
>>
File: IMG_0648.jpg (2MB, 3744x3744px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0648.jpg
2MB, 3744x3744px
>>4156359
>there were never any good games on Apple computers.

What universe are you from?
>>
>>4156194
Save your money, emulate old games and buy the ones that are still sold in stores.
>>
>>4157447
Thought the joke was obvious. By sharing the games it would compound his guilt. Also, asking to be spoonfed games is the oldest joke in the book here.
>>
OP, just go back to plebbit where they all love paying for ROMs.
>>
>>4156194
Look, I prefer my hardware, okay? I'm not into shaming people for emulating, but at the same time, don't pay for ROMs.
You're fine, OP. None of the actual creators/companies would get your cash anyway.
>>
>>4157458
This one. Go and name some of the "great" games on that piece of shit, then. I need a laugh. Apple fanboys are delusional.
>>
>>4156194
Yes, good goy!
Buy these incredible retro games I am overpricing because the hipsters just LOVE THEM!

These developers only made these games so we 3rd party sellers can profit from it 20 years from then.
>>
>>4156194
Cool blog faggot. Also, you forgot to post a frog.

>>4156328
Actually a lot of developers/artists didn't make much.
>>
wow
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.