[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will my game cartridges still be playable in another 25-30 yrs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 140.jpg (613KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
140.jpg
613KB, 1600x1200px
Will my game cartridges still be playable in another 25-30 yrs?
>>
So long as you take care of them, yes. There's no reason for a cartridge to not last at least a full century with proper care.
>>
>>4150147
Don't worry you won't even live that long.
>>
Lol that pic is literally every pawn shop or second hand game store. Every genesis cart is a sports game or else for nes its silent service or some other shit game.
>>
>>4150254
What pawn shops do you go to where there THAT much retro vidya?
>>
Yeah, mask ROM based carts will probably outlive you.
>>
>>4150257
Ones that have had their prices set too high for a long time
>>
>>4150147
Keep dust and other abrasives off the contacts and yes. They'll last the rest of your life. It's people who collect for Disc based consoles that need to be worried.
>>
>>4150298
Disc-based consoles and computers still have it better than floppy and most cassette tape machines, so long as the discs don't have any major scratches, dirt, or prolonged exposure to sunlight on the underside.
>>
>>4150312
>>4150298
Just FYI
I recently ripped old cd's for archiving purposes (between 10 and 20 years old). About 20% (estimated) had uncorrectable errors (aka "it's fucked"), while they where all stored as they should be (dark / not hot / dry).
>>
>>4150147
Vacuum seal them to eliminate moisture etc and they will live forever
>>
>>4150326
Interesting indeed.
>>
>>4150254
I never played Silent Service on NES but I loved the series on Amiga and PC.
>>
>>4150573
Euro detected.
>>
Some carts are going to have their connectors oxidize over time. Eventually this will render them unplayable. Careful cleaning on the connectors will greatly prolong this.

As long as the carts are stored in dark, dry and cool environments they should be fine.

CD games are generally ok. Disk rot does happen, but it is usually massively overblown.

At most, only a few games will be heavily hit by hit. Most print runs are up their with DVD/Bluray in terms of longevity.
>>
>>4150147
As long as they are kept clean and not banged around, they will last the rest of your lifetime.

Keeping them in a dark drawer, free of dust and other contaminants, will greatly extend the usable lifetime of the carts.

Also, be careful not to fray the connectors from wear and tear when inserting and removing. (This is especially true with the original NES)
>>
Can plastic containers damage the cart like they do with cards, by cards I mean mtg or yugi ones
>>
>>4150672
Probably not. It would most likely be better to keep your games in a plastic box as it keeps water and dust out.
>>
>>4150759
I have some atari ones on a plastic box, and they give a strong smell of plastic after opening the container
The room they are kept at is really hot too, like 40°C
>>
>>4150319
Bullshit, in the last year I archived over 150 CDs dating from 1992 thru 2001 with 100% success rate. All mint cond ocf.
>>
>>4150319
The days of laser rot were far over by the time CD gaming came about
>>
has anyone here considered an airtight home vault for their games and systems?
>>
>>4150672

Depending upon the plastic yes. You want acid free plastic and generally #5 Polypropylene containers. Other ones can leech plasticizer onto your stuff which is very bad.
>>
File: IMG_8152.jpg (64KB, 600x649px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8152.jpg
64KB, 600x649px
>>4150147
No. They wont work because the surface of the earth will have become to hot to live on and the humidity levels will have sky rocketed in part to the evaporating oceans. The humidity mixed with acid rains will corode all your cartridges contacts and circuit leads into crusty powderd dust.
Does that answer your question, dumbass?
Thats like asking if your sega games would be safe on venus for 30 years. KYS
>>
Mask roms will live hundert thousands of years. The only enemy is bit rot, which is like aids for roms but extremely rare.
>>
>>4151316
Who let Al Gore get to a computer without supervision?
>>
>>4151304
I went to check the container they have the 5 symbol
They were for frozen chicken, and thought they were of good size for the atari carts, I will try to get a bigger container
>>
>>4151304
Huh never knew that I just moved to plastic containers and will have to check them
>>
>>4151470
I only know because I collect cards, and someone told me about shitty cards sleeves
>>
>>4150257
The three pawn shops in my area are like that, the only retro game store in the area won't take they, and the pawn shop owners cant sell them. Hell one guy offers six sports carts if you buy a genesis or snes.
>>
>>4151292
How much would that cost?
>>
>>4150147
yes, because I know you won't play them.
>>
>>4150147

Yes they will last long enough to fill the void inside your heart.
>>
>>4150319
>shit that didn't happen
Care to tell us what actually happened or did you make the whole thing up?
>>
>>4151667

Usually its pvc that ruins shit as it releases chloride gas iirc/yellows over time as it isn't a stable plastic. Most card sleeves are made of polypropylene as it generally regarded as safe for long time storage.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.