[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Dreamcast was the 1st major console to have a noisy cooling fan.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: Dreamcast fan noise.png (186KB, 690x564px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast fan noise.png
186KB, 690x564px
Why is this never discussed on /VR/?

What was the gaming public's reaction to this irritating and immersion breaking disturbance after having just left the 5th gen which was nearly silent*?

Do you remember any articles from gaming mags back in the day mentioning this?

What is the best fan mod to reduce the DC's noise?
Is there room enough inside the DC for a passive heatsink solution?
If so, how do you fool the circuit which shuts the DC off unless a fan is plugged in and drawing 5V?

*Technically the 3DO phat and Apple Pippin had cooling fans but no one had those.
>>
Why do you hate hearing your console breathe, anon?
>>
The fan isnt that loud, the disc drive is
>>
Not retro, but my SCPH-39001 is much louder than my DC.
>>
>>4148052
I remember a neighbor kid coming over and complaining about how noisy it was. Said it sounded like a microwave. I never thought anything of it tho since the DC was my first disc based console. Figured that sound was the norm.
>>
>>4148085
This.
It was helpful in some games, like Skies of Arcadia. You'd hear the disk start spinning right before a random encounter, so if you wanted to avoid fights you could pause the game when the console revs to abort it.
>>
>>4148086
my ps2 slim makes a really annoying whining noise, not sure if its normal though
>>
>>4148092
It's so recognizable even the 3ds theme offered up by nintendo has it.
>>
>>4148052
>>4145551
Wuka wuka wuka chucka
>>
>>4148052

Because fans get louder as they wear out.
>>
>>4148092
That's rather hilarious
>>
>>4148052
It's thinking.
>>
>>4148052

So long as you keep the DC on a well ventilated platform and off carpet you can play it without any fan for an extended period of time.

I removed the tiny fan from a first gen Dreamcast after the bearing died. The system does get pretty hot after an hour or so; but near as I can tell ;it doesn't hurt anything. I never experienced a shutdown or crash.

You can get significantly quieter replacement fans from Digikey that'll fit. Also if you feel inclined to mod the case a little bit; you can use a far more standard size fan that'll run at lower rpm.

Even though the fan noise is quite distinct on a DC, once removed you'll also notice how noisy the GDROM can be too.
>>
>>4149091
How/why does carpet cause consoles to overheat?
>>
>>4148052
>immersion breaking
Really m8?
>>
>>4149172
It's like when you watch a movie and there are horrible focus changes or auto focus fucking shit up.
You want to watch a movie without thinking that you're watching a movie.
You don't want to have to listen to fucking stupid ass fans or loud disc drives while playing games
>>
>>4148052
The fan never bothered me. But it seems people like you get annoyed by it.
>>
It was also the first console to have 480p.
The first 6th Gen console.
The first not retro.
>>
>>4149192
No, I don't get it. You're weird, m8. I never want to forget that I'm playing a game, I never need to forget that I'm watching a movie. That's weird with a capital A.
>>
>>4149124
The heat isnt going anywhere its just getting caught in the carpet underneath the system. Its like putting a heated blanket underneath your DC.
>>
>>4149221
But it is retro.
>>
This is true autism. How's that SPD working out for you brah?
>>
>>4149786
t. sour grapes earlet

You probably wouldn't hear a nigger breaking into your house and stealing all your consoles while you were busy shitposting on your Iphone.
>>
I really hated it from the very start and still do. I generally hate the sound computers make as well, but this is a console. I rarely got multi-format magazines, just dreamcast ones, which of course would never criticize it. The multi-format magazines also had a soft spot for dreamcast just like people do now, there was a sense of inevitability that the PS2 was going to completely blow it away even before it ever got released.
>>
I played DC a whole bunch as a kid; I don't remember it being noisy at all.

Even listening to it now, it isn't any noisier than a PS2.
>>
>>4149786
I actually do have SPD and I like the noise the dreamcast fan makes. It's just thinking!
>>
>>4148052
The dc fan never bothered me. The fucking hueg xbox fan bothered me. Because it was fucking loud. After xbox i stopped buying their low spec pc's.
>>
>>4151383
>low spec PC's
PC Virgin Race detected
>>
>>4150782
lies
>>
Good hardware can't be cooled passively.
>>
Yeah its loud, but turn up the TV, you wont notice it after some time. Ps2 is also loud.
>>
>>4149221
>It was also the first console to have 480p.

Saturn had 480p, although no game used it because it was extremely restrictive.
>>
File: carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>4148052
I know right? Sega Dreamcast fans truly are the worst.
>>
>>4148052
Not sure what you problem is, any non cardridge console/pc is hearable. Playstation, Saturn, PC, Amiga they all made noise.
>>
>>4151952
Goddamnit Carlos
>>
>>4151440
Virtua Fighter 2 and Saturn Bomberman used it.
>>
>>4149124
I guess:
1. Dreamcast doesn't have knobs to elevate it
2. Carpets have leeway, so the objects placed on them sinks into the fabric
3. So 1 + 2 = Dreamcast sinks more than it has elevation, meaning it loses an entire ventilation point
>>
File: mfw.gif (2MB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
2MB, 189x189px
>>4151952
>>
I can't hear the fan in my DC over the obnoxiously loud disc drive.
>>
File: carlos2.png (91KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
carlos2.png
91KB, 500x427px
>>4151952
>>
the fan makes basically no noise compared to the grinding sound of the GD-ROM drive, surely the loudest optical drive ever conceived

REHHH...REHH-RAHH-REHHH-RAHHH-Rh-Rh-Rh-Rh~
"Sonic Team"~ DING~
REHH...REHH-RAHH-REHH-RAHH...Rh...~
>>
>>4152179
>the loudest optical drive ever conceived
Even louder than the GameCube drive?
>>
>>4152184
I actually liked those noises. The GC's clicks and whirrs were comfy.
>>
>>4152184
gamecube is very quiet by comparison

you can hear dreamcast in the other room with the door closed
>>
Alright guys I just picked up a dreamcast and illbleed how fucked am I
>>
>>4151952
Gold
>>
Xbawks Huge is the loudest or PS3
>>
>>4152184
You've never played a Dreamcast, have you?
>>
I actually love the hushed sound of a computer fan. I associate it with happiness and the calm excitement of mid-90s gaming and internet browsing.
>>
>>4152598
PS3 has loudest fans bar none, DC fans isn't even audible. I think OP is a child confusing the optical drive noise for a fan. My phat PS3 sounded like an actual jet engine.
>>
>>4152695
What about Xbox360 launch model? Aren't they just as noisy as the PS3 phat?
>>
>>4152981
>Xbox360 launch model
None of them work anymore, kek
>>
>>4148052
I never remembered the fan being loud. But the fucking disc drive was another story. Loading screens sounded like my Dreamcast was trying to rip the disc apart.

>>4152981
I had a launch model 360 and the fans weren't loud, the disc drive was loud though. Playing CoD 2 on it made it sound like a jet engine.
>>
>>4149091
the fan was never really a big deal, but holy fuck the GD-ROM drive squeals like a pig
like, when I finally bought a Saturn a few years ago, I was amazed at how much quieter it was than the DC, god damn

>>4151440
>>4152115
original Dead or Alive does, too
actually, all of Sega's Model 2 fighters output 480i (with suitably high-res HUDs), although only VF2 and DOA actually render 3D at full resolution
>>
>>4153648
>actually, all of Sega's Model 2 fighters output 480i (with suitably high-res HUDs), although only VF2 and DOA actually render 3D at full resolution
That is bullshit, combines the interlacing artifacts of hires mode with none of the benefits of an upscale.
>>
>>4151440
Astra Superstars used it ingame I think.
>>
>>4151440
Is it even recognized as 480p?
>>
>>4149124
Carpets produce and contain more dust which melts and sticks to the hot processor over time causing heating stacking.
Further carpet has isolating effect, which further causes heat to stack up. Like when you walk on a stone or glass floor, it's much colder to your feet than a carpet because it's doesn't absorb as much heat and reflects more heat back.

Anyone putting an electric device onto a fabric is really stupid. Metal/Glass surfaces are good. Modern hulls made of fabric to protect devices are really stupid and bad in long term and lower the lifetime of your device.
>>
I remember turning it on for the first time back on 9-9-99. it sounded like a damn jet engine. I loved it. Felt like it was full of power and it was revving up.
>>
>>4148052
That fan wasn't as loud as the fucking laser moving back and forth. Went through three DCs due to the laser housing failing. Had one that would have to be tipped upward to read the games.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.