[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vagrant Story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Vagrant Story.jpg (70KB, 256x254px) Image search: [Google]
Vagrant Story.jpg
70KB, 256x254px
This game is cool, but taxing emotionally. They throw you into a sea of information immediately. It's not that hard to pick up, but it's one of those games that always has you thinking you might be doing something inefficiently.

The atmosphere is extremely oppressive, though in an aesthetically pleasing way. There is a dire feeling to everything, reminiscent of Valkyrie Profile.

I've always enjoyed it, but only now in my third time trying to play it have I gotten very far. If the save file "map" percentage is an indicator of progress, I'm 12% through the game. Just beat the golem boss. Still haven't figure out why my combos aren't chaining after 1.

Thoughts?
>>
>>4146640
>Still haven't figure out why my combos aren't chaining after 1.

you can't use the same chain ability twice in a row, you have to mix them up
>>
>>4146646
Ah, should have thought of that. Thanks.
>>
>>4146640
I'm thinking of getting into this game myself.
>>
I thought I had finally figured this game out completely. Got into ng+, did all I could before venturing into the iron maiden b2, made it to the workshop that lets you combine all kinds of metal and tried to make some damascus weapons, because these are clearly superior, I thought. Apparently combining hagane and silver doesn't automatically lead to damascus. Apparently damascus isn't even that great and my hagane weapons will suffice. Now I'm a bit disappointed that my storage will still be full of blades and armor that I can't use that much, but I don't want to throw them away because of the slim chance that they might be useful.
>>
>>4148560
I'm definitely having some trouble with inventory management myself, not knowing what to save, what to bother putting in the chest, and what to just combine for the hell of it. Although, I'm grateful for it because it encourages me to take some sort of action with my stuff instead of just hoarding it.
>>
>>4148560
>>4148801
>combine the weapon that you think looks cool
>just speedrun the game for stat bonuses and wine bottles
that's it. stop being a perfectionist about something that doesn't care about your perfectionism. If you're not having fun, personally, combining up weapons and shit, then why are you doing it?
>>
>>4148817
Because I already beaten the game and after I explored everything ng+ has to offer there isn't much to do than being perfectionist. Which is not entirely true, there are some specific runs I want to do, like a mage-run. That was a complaint about strange mechanics more than anything else.
>>
I've begun playing this recently as well.

I think what the biggest problem is, is that it gives you a ton of information in the manual but none of it is WEIGHTED appropriately, if that makes sense. It tells you there are all these monster affinities and elemental affinities and weapon types, but all of those things have differing levels of relevance. It also doesn't ever explain the UI which causes a lot of initial confusion, and analyze, THE SINGLE MOST VITAL SKILL IN THE GAME, is not given until you are done with the intro couple hours, which further adds to the learning curve of the beginning when you are attempting to wrap your mind around the mechanics but some things that you think should do damage just aren't and you have no idea why.

I respect the shit out of the game for just throwing you in, and I prefer a game to trust the player enough to peruse the manual when needed instead of a mandatory tutorial. The manual just isn't enough information to begin playing the game even remotely effectively, and there's a lot of things that you just have to "figure out" that aren't covered.
>>
Are you the same person that keeps making Vagrant Story thread over and over again?
>>
>>4149806
I am not, but sorry to dredge up any painful memories.
>>
>>4148404
I just started it. Fairly inexpensive at around $30. It's pretty good if you like trpg/srpg.
>>
>>4149608
I'm also finding out now that Analyze doesn't carry over? So if I happen to forget what's good against a Goblin or any of the other 50 enemies in the game, I have to go through using the skill again?

Just realized that Combine shows you the result before you go through with it though, so that's pretty helpful.
>>
>>4151220
??? the game screen shows you what type of damage the weapon you're currently using is going to do, which means if you're using a sword, and it's doing the most damage with it's blunt stat, you better switch to a fucking hammer

you don't need to analyze fuck all
>>
Ah Vagrant Story, back when Famitsu was still respectable this was the first full 40 scored game and people would never shut up about it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.