[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just started playig Ultima Underworld. First impression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: ultima.jpg (122KB, 710x443px) Image search: [Google]
ultima.jpg
122KB, 710x443px
So I just started playig Ultima Underworld.

First impression is that it's not bad, but also not amazing.

Is it worth playing through at least once, or is it a mediocre time sink?
>>
If you don't like dungeon crawls with minimal story, you'd be better off playing Daggerfall or System Shock.

If you understand japanese, the PS1 version is at least pretty to look at.
>>
>>4145291
I do like dungeon crawls with minimal story, assuming they're done well. King's Field games for PS1 were dank as fuck.

I also just started Daggerfall, though I haven't even made it out of the first dungeon yet.

Is the gameplay any good? Memorable bosses or monsters?
>>
>>4145312
First dungeon? Just run and avoid demons.
Arena it's a lot better thought...
>>
UW1 isn't that long. It should be worth playing for historical reasons alone but it's also good on its own right.
>>
>>4145312
>Is the gameplay any good? Memorable bosses or monsters?
In Daggerfall? Not really.
>>
I've heard UU2 is better.
>>
>>4145464
It's fixed a couple of issues and shortcomings from 1. Technically you get a larger view and the graphics don't warp and there are extra gimmicks like slippery floors.
In terms of story you get some alternative solutions to problems and the world reacts to your actions.
For balance your learning is not restricted by the mantras you know and less random.
It's also tied strongly to Ultima 7 whereas UW1 is shoehorned into the franchise.
>>
>>4145459
I meant in Underworld. I'm playing Daggerfall for its massive map size and the complexity of the RPG, which is why I'm asking about monsters in other games.
>>
>>4145312
the floor where you had to learn lizard speak in order to solve a puzzle was dank as fuck
>>
>>4145613
There are only a few bosses you have to defeat:
1. Gazer in the mines
2. Black Knight
3. Golem on the isle
4. Tyball
The puzzles or friendly encounters are probably more memorable. And maybe trying out unnecessary stuff like stealing the mountain king's treasure.
>>
>>4145280
>s it worth playing through at least once, or is it a mediocre time sink?
You're already playing, you idiot. Grow up and have your own opinions.
>>
>>4145280
It's pretty much the best shit ever. It's one of the perfect games for someone who likes dungeon crawlers and open worlds and EXTREMELY HIGH levels of interactivity.
>>
>>4145280
I played it for the first time a few months ago and loved it. Haven't got to UU2 yet, but I will one day. What impressed me the most was how technically impressive it was for a game that was released in 1992. I'm guessing it probably like total ass on PCs back when it was released, but still amazing what they were able to do.
>>
>>4145464
UU1 had one big Dungeon. UU2 has many little ones (planes) which is a little bit disapointing.
>>
>>4145280
I liked Ultima Underworld a lot playing it. I did look up 1-2 things to help me get started though since it's not 1992 anymore and that game is way out of my comfort zone.

I actually beat it without having to use a walkthrough throughout. Had a lot of fun playing it. I think the best part is really the feel of the game, being thrown into a dungeon wearing nothing but burlap and having to barter, fight, talk and magic your way through the dungeon and collecting the 8 magic things to throw into the pool of lava behind the locked door that needs 3 keys.

>>4145464
>>4145472
>>4147407

I have a big question that I couldn't get an answer to on the net. I've done the prison tower, got the black rock gem and had nystul treat it, and I used it on the world travelling crystal but I can't enter a new world. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>4148104
You have to talk to Miranada to unlock the next two worlds.
Generally I'd recommend talking to everybody in the castle every time you come back.
>>
>>4145464
Getting rid of the "1 big interconnected world" concept was a mistake.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.