[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SERIES THAT WOULD NEVER BE TRANSLATE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: Metal Max 2.jpg (52KB, 300x545px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Max 2.jpg
52KB, 300x545px
>>
>>4144928
>has had two remakes
>never getting any version of the game
At least we have returns and saga.
>>
>>4144928
>>4144928
EVERYTHING WOULD BE FINE IF GIDEON ZHI WOULD JUST FUCKING DIE ALREADY
>>4144931
2 Kai kinda sucked though.
Not sure about Re:Loaded though, but it uses that weird party system that 3 did.
>>
Data East is underrated.
>>
>>4144928
It hurts.
>>
>>4144928
Metal saga came out for ps2 though.
>>
>>4145065

I almost want people to pile up on that guy just so he gets fed up and quits for good

then we would get a good shot at some goddam translations
>>
>>4148403
>>4145065
Why aren't there just translators how aren't fucking retarded and ignore this illogical bullshit of "claiming" a game for fan translation?
>>
>>4148409

my guess its as good as yours, honestly having more than one translation of any given game is always a good thing, yes, it might take away from other titles, but at least one can fucking pick and choose

just look at FFVI, you can go with the original, the GBA release, woosley, whatever else is out there, otherwise you might have to wait years until somebody polishes the turd someone else left behind like the fire emblem 4 translation
>>
>>4148409

the better question would be how the fuck can that attitude be stopped
>>
Cool anime license games.
>>
>>4148437
By just not caring over the "claiming" there's absolutly nothing stopping people from translating these games and uploading them
>>
>>4150335

well, the problem is that they do seem to care

If I knew a lick of japanese I would just start doing scrip translations of anything that doesnt have one
>>
Metal Max is incredibly niche. I want to like the series for its setting and open world, but the plot and characters are boring as shit. And despite being boring as shit, the game still forces you through terse dialogues that do nothing to enhance its otherwise paper-thin characters.

>>4148403
>I almost want people to pile up on that guy just so he gets fed up and quits for good

Indeed. I don't understand the mentality of the ROM hacking community. Just because someone announces a project doesn't mean anyone else who's interesting in translating the game should immediately cease their efforts out of some kind of perceived "courtesy." Gideon's projects go into hiatus for years at a time, sometimes indefinitely.

Besides, there are tons of re-re-re-re-translation projects for popular games like FF6 or Chrono Trigger. No one seems to complain about encroachment in those cases.
>>
>>4150341
yeah who cares if you piss off some nerd you will never meet, I wish I knew japanese so I could start translating games purely out of spite.
>>
>>4150372
Are chronotrigger "retranslations" actual retranslations? or is it just someone changing the english text to what they think it should be? cause it is actual retranslations why the fuck are they wasting resources on autistic shit like that. I am sur emore people would play their translation of game that never came over here over another translation of a game they have already played.
>>
sakura taisen, segagaga, devil summoner 1
>>
>>4150405
I have no idea, but I will say it was an odd choice to have frog be like the only person in 600ad to have an accent.
>>
>>4148409
>"claiming" a game for fan translation
I wasn't aware there was a rule for translating games
wait, so someone can call dibs on any number of untranslated games and never deliver and all other translators should just sit with their thumbs up their asses?
great
>>
>>4150430
we should all just sign up for the forums and start claiming shit even if its already being worked on just claim it to be obnoxious
>>
>>4150430
>>4150485
Here's how we get rid of this "claimed" bullshit.

We need a small team of halfway competent people, some techies for the hacking, and a translator. Find some game with not too much text, claim it and translate it. Then once we have a rep, "claim" some titles people have been wanting for years, and do some light translation work but don't release shit. Any time someone brings it up, leak a screen cap showing something translated, say "we're working on it, just so busy with work".

Lets see how many years we can string the romhacking community along before they realize this "claiming" shit is BS and stop doing it altogether.
>>
>>4150663
If you think that's not exactly what people have been doing for years you're misinterpreting the situation.

Besides most people who are working on translations use the excuse of "we don't want a C+D xD" when someone asks about progress.
>>
>>4150668
>people have been doing this for years
>people still won't touch translation projects others have "claimed"
Well, obviously it's not being done hard enough if the romhacking community still tolerates this shit.
>>
>>4150671
True. The hardest part of a project though is finding a competent coder and then a translator who isn't just using google translate with some modifications to fit their headcanon.

That's all the team you really need but it's traditionally a mess.
>>
>>4150663
takes too long someone just needs to take up a high profile project that someone has claimed and finish and release it. I am sure the community will support having a new game to play over some whiny faggot crying about people translating "his game" because he didnt do his job.
>>
>>4150708
>takes too long someone just needs to take up a high profile project that someone has claimed and finish and release it

this, there should be a limit on how long a claimed game can be left untranslated anyway (let's say 1 year)
>>
>>4150719
>this, there should be a limit on how long a claimed game can be left untranslated anyway (let's say 1 year)
this stupid claiming thing shouldn't be reinforced at all
>>
>>4151001
I don't even get why anyone honors that, what is the worst that could happen you get an angry email from a shrieking autist and some rage filled forum posts sounds like more reason to do it anyway hahaha
>>
I do some translations for games and romhacks, so I'll give some insights into the "claiming" mindset.

Basically, it's not that the game is claimed, it's that I see it as someone is already working on that particular game so I'd rather focus on others that I'm interested in that have no one working on them already. Doing the same game someone else is working on is a waste of effort in general.

When it comes to games that have had their projects in development for a long ass time, well, shit just takes fucking time. Especially when it's just a hobby and you're doing it for fun. I understand the frustration with it though, and I definitely support others who are more motivated on certain projects to get them done faster.
>>
>>4151065
I understand the waste of effort perspective but its not a very good argument from the same community that translated final fantasy 100 times. I understand its a hobby project too but I doubt a lot of these claimers are spending a lot of free time doing that and would be better off passing the torch
>>
>>4151065
>never show any evidence apart of maybe a screenshot
>"claims" hundred of games
>"They're really working on it guys!"
also

>it's that I see it as someone is already working on that particular game so I'd rather focus on others that I'm interested in that have no one working on them already. Doing the same game someone else is working on is a waste of effort in general.
Isn't that their own fault/problem? Does anyone honestly expect people like Gideon to have even made any progress with half the games he has claimed?
>>
>>4151114
Let's take a look at the "translated Final Fantasy 100 times" argument real quick here.

A lot of the people who do those retranslations aren't even working on anything else. They don't do anything beyond those particular games or perhaps some of the other well known titles because that's what they're fans of. They also get a lot of attention because that's what people are interested in, a possibly fresh look at a title they already know very well. So you're not really losing any new translations because Final Fantasy is getting translated 100 times. Those people weren't going to touch other games anyway, and if they did, it would be after they cut their teeth on those games that they know well.
>>
>>4151170
The fact that he's released patches in the past makes people tend to believe that he's still actively working on shit. So until other people start stepping up and calling him out on his shit by releasing translation patches for things that he's supposedly working on, that status quo won't change.
>>
>>4151173
nobody is going to touch their translation anyway, maybe their close friends but when Im on rhdn I scroll right past that shit, I don't know how people could be so obsessed with one game to be autistic enough to rewrite the script like go play something else ffs, those people still have the hacking skills that could be put to better use
>>
>>4151189
Can't say I particularly disagree that they're basically wasting their time, but it's their time to waste, really.
>>
The reason people don't want to jump on anyone else's project is because hacking projects take years of work to be completed, and that's when they're being done by somebody who works with constant dedication. So if I'm a translator, I don't see someone else's project at 65% completion and go "hm, well, they're taking too long, so I'm going to learn how all of the coding and programming works in this game, translate every single line of dialogue and piece of menu text, item description, etc, reprogram all of the message displays so they can fit 2x as much text (necessary because japanese can convey ideas with 1 kanji vs. english's 6+ letter words), and do all of this work so that people can MAYBE get my translation a little bit faster than if they had just waited for so and so's work to be done." Nobody thinks that way.

Especially when you see the comments on fan translations, it's never "thanks for working on this game :)" it's always "fuck you bastards hurry up and release the damn game! fuck you! hurry up! is it done yet? why isn't it fucking done yet! isn't this your job?" from bitter EOPs and even worse, ESLs.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that if you had started learning runes in 2007 when Aeon Genesis announced their Super Robot Wars Alpha translation (FUCKING KEK IT'S BEEN TEN WHOLE YEARS), you'd probably have been able to play through the whole series at this point.
>>
File: moon.jpg (154KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
moon.jpg
154KB, 400x400px
never ever
>>
>>4151243
But how the hell do you KNOW that they have made progress?
>>
Cool thread.

Reminds me of how I've been learning Japanese since 2010, which means I've been able to play untranslated for years now. Also reminds me how I have absolutely no desire to translate anything for anyone, because it's much more enjoyable to use your Japanese skill to enjoy more things yourself instead of binding yourself to one game for the sake of some pointless internet fame from neckbeards that weren't able to learn Japanese themselves.
>>
>>4151976
This right here is why a lot of the people in these threads who do eventually learn to code or to translate never ever finish a project. They're selfish with their own free time, and that's not a fucking bad thing.

Those of us who do spend our time translating and working on these games do it because we like to do it (or for the people who want to be popular, which is fucking weird because this shit is thankless). So you basically can't expect anything to ever get released from people with that sort of mindset 'doing' something.
>>
>>4152302
How would you rate your Japanese ability? Do you have any sort of ceritification (JLPT etc.)?
>>
>>4152312
Like 5 years ago I got a 67% on the JLPT1. I've been translating as a hobby since before then though and I speak/hear Japanese daily as well, whatever that means to you. I also have professional translation work that I do, as well as some interpreting here and there.
>>
>>4152314
And yet you find it in yourself to translate some video games?
>>
>>4152317
I translate obscure games on not as well known platforms, so trying to introduce those to people is already some nice motivation. I mostly treat it as a means to keep my translation abilities active instead of passive, though. Since most of my work is freelance I have extremely busy times and then times when I'm not doing much, so I keep myself busy with something productive (to me) rather than just wasting it on stupid shit.
>>
>>4152319
Makes sense. Currently I have a lot of free time and I find ithard to use it meaningfully.
>>
Honestly thinking of just learning how to read runes because of how much of the dreamcast library is never ever getting translated
>>
>>4152326
Do it. Learn some starting guide from DJT or /r/learnjapanese and build upon it.
>>
>>4152330
what the fuck is DJT donald john trump? why are autist on this board always made up fucking acronyms where nobody else knows what they are talking about
>>
>>4152573
It's a general on /jp/ you newfag
>>
>>4152576
not all of us speak your autistic fucking language. You cant just assume everyone is as fucking autistic as you are and knows that is a general on some board that only fucking weebs go on
>>
>>4152573
>>4152579
Seek mental help, you hwabyung'd fag.
>>
>>4152609
mental help for what?
>>
>>4152737
Hwabyung.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.