[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tactics ogre thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: 1500066381351.png (78KB, 890x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1500066381351.png
78KB, 890x1075px
Discuss the best srpg series
>>
>>4142738

Why are dragons so ridiculously OP? High damage output both melee and ranged, tons of HP and defense. You could make an army of just dragons and steamroll the entire game.
>>
Im going to start the original ogre battle

anything I should know before going in? apparently if you kill units of a lower level than you your alignment drops and that can affect the way you take over cities
>>
>>4142757

In which game? In LuCT they aren't that OP, their tankiness and high damage is balanced by their terrible accuracy and movement
>>
>>4142738
Sounds ogre-rated.
>>
>>4143208
Units killing lower level enemies lose alignment. If you use those "evil" units to liberate towns, your reputation drops and this affects the plot and the ending. Work around this by having units that kill everyone (and thus with low alignment) and units that liberate towns. Units that liberate towns should fight as little as possible.

Also know that you WILL either have to play multiple times or use a walkthrough to find everything and get the best ending. If you want to get everything and don't want to restart a bunch of times, there's a starred walkthrough on Gamefaqs that contains a "checklist" section, so you know what you should look out for on every map.

>>4142738
Why even compare Tactics Ogre with Ogre Battle? What's the point of that picture?
>>
it's ogre
>>
tactics ogre the knight of lodis for gba was fucking amazing

wish the srpg genre followed its lead more than disgaea D:
>>
>>4142738
Oh it's you again. Fuck you. LUCT and MOTBQ are the superior games.
>>
>>4147018
Wrong. KoL is obejectively better
>>
>>4147392
KoL seemed great at first then I did some testing and every bonus or nerf is 11% across the board. So if you are fire element for example there's never ever a reason to use anything other than fire magic. It's that way for elements, alignment and weapons, +/-11% everywhere.

That combined with later classes being so much better than early ones really killed my enthusiasm for it.

It's sad I denied it a long time and I hate saying it, but afterplaying them all, in the end as a game FFT was better than and of the TO's were
>>
>>4147668
Amd why is that a bad thing? Cause the percentage is too high and you choose spells based on your element?
>>
>>4147743
Because there's no strategy or interesting choices to make. You know if you have a mage who's fire element that there's no reason to ever not cast a fire spell. Even if the enemy resists fire, the amount that it resists is the exact same amount you get a bonus for casting with your element. And everything in the game is like that. It just made the strategy element of the srpg feel much less interesting.
>>
>>4142757
You mean Archers and Ninjas (with bows) right.

The only weapons worth equipping in the game are short bows, cross bows, and magical stones with negative weight

All magic is garbage when arrows and bolts hit first.
>>
>>4145790
>Units killing lower level enemies lose alignment. If you use those "evil" units to liberate towns, your reputation drops and this affects the plot and the ending. Work around this by having units that kill everyone (and thus with low alignment) and units that liberate towns. Units that liberate towns should fight as little as possible.
Honestly it's a million times easier to just have your whole army at the same level and remember that NINJA=EVIL, CLERIC=GOOD and have your units fight based on the class comparison to control their alignment.
>>
>>4147772
You can change class, but because of the math there's never any reason to change your class. You will just a get a character that already is that class, and staying in that class will let you upgrade sooner, and then you just stay in the upgraded class. Every human character has the same stat total, and fights exactly as good as a dragon or a lizardman or anything else that could be put in that slot. The only thing that matters is terrain. It's bizarre how tightly knit and inconsequential every decision is.
>>
>>4147796
More or less, yeah. Honestly it's been so many years now I don't remember everything. But I got super into the GBA version they released and was loving it till I started digging a little deeper to see what strategies might be best. After that everything about it felt so shallow that I slogged through the rest even though I'd lost a lot of interest and never looked at it again.
>>
I hate that I have to handicap myself to enjoy this game. Yet I don't, but it'd be worse to steamroll everything
>>
Is luct a good starting point into the series? I would play KoL, but the style and the design reminds me too much of FFTA, which I hate.
>>
>>4147883
Yes just don't play the remake.
>>
>>4147894

Ignore him, the remake is the definitive version.
>>
>>4147894
The remake is better than the original.
>>
>>4147883
Honestly just play March of the Black Queen

It's the only one that isn't weird.
>>
>>4147894
>>4147897
>>4147898
the remake is weird and even more of a timesink than the original

super fami version has the best music and sound
>>
>>4147897
Remake was borked due to the leveling and rewind system. Translation is good, other than that it's a hot grindy mess. Especially if you like monster units.
>>
>>4147897
the remake makes the original look streamlined in comparison
>>
>>4147915
>grindy
what

I am actively avoiding random encounters and using shit classes or else I'd be way too strong
>>
>>4147951
If you recruit new units like monsters they start at level 1. So mid way through the game it's hours of grinding to get your new lizardmam or whatever on par with the rest of your party. Not a problem if ypu ignore that part of the game but it's still shitty design.
>>
>>4146994
How do you mean? Do you think someone who really enjoys Disgaea and Fire Emblem would enjoy these games? Which should I start with?
>>
>>4149225
Depends what you want out of it. If you're okay with decent story but shallow gameplay then you'll like it. If you're playing because you want a good strategy rpg it's pretty lacking.
>>
I really liked the chronicle valeria hack of the SNES game even though I didn't understand a word of it (still untranslated sadly)
the best feature by far was the option for every unit to flee from battle
>>
>>4147796
What? Of course there are reasons to change class. Movement is a big one, unless you have a large stock of flight rings or something it's far more useful to have a ninja than a wizard because the wizard will be barely able to move. Since you're saying that terrain is the only thing that matters, that's a big thing to consider.

Are you forgetting that classes have different stat gains? It's a pretty basic thing, but you're talking as if all human classes are the same. They're not. Train a soldier, a knight and a witch and their stats will be completely different, as well as their movement, talents and equipment options, of course.

You're really overstating the importance of terrain and talking about it as if it's one single terrain throughout the game. Terrain boosts or debuffs elemental power depending on the characters' elements and that's it. There are many ways to circumvent it, to nullify it, and to amplify it. And you need to know what terrain you'll be playing in ahead if you really want to take advantage of the boost. Even then it's inconsequential if you're planning ahead or if you have virtue or bane characters.

The one thing you are right about is that characters get a boost when they use a magic spell of their own element. That's a no brainer, but it doesn't really limit anything because you will need someone who can cast fluid time and other such bane spells if you even hope to tackle the crazier challenges on quest mode.

The game as a whole is fun and fairly easy to break once you realize what's going on, but "terrain" is not the only key. I'd say it isn't even A key. Abuse Eupharie and summons, make hawkmen bowmen, get s valkyrie and a bunch of male soldiers as your prime army, get a dragon zombie. But unless you're playing with a walkthrough and gameshark you will need to realize what's optimal on your own and then get the emblems, Goth and equipment necessary to cheese the game. That takes time and isn't really simple.
>>
>>4151026
>fairly easy to break once you realize what's going on,

Other guy who was disappointed by it here, that's another of my issues with it. On top if being ultimately pretty simplistic , later classes are really overpowered and the whole thing is generally too easy.
>>
>>4151040
Yeah, that is an issue in the game that's only somewhat remedied by quest mode self imposed challenges, and only so much. The final boss isn't a pushover either, thanks in part to how you need to storm its lair, so that's nice. But still, later classes need a bunch of emblems and semi tactful planning of stat gains to get, and like you say it's later classes. Beginner classes aren't overpowered, maybe Knights at first but you need the emblem and by the end they're fairly generic. It is a ultimately a simplistic game in many ways (all Ogre games are, I think) but it offers a lot of customization options and such so unless you're planning to go against deep blue in a fantastic land it's fun. I'd say it's at least better balanced than the original LuCT, where archers are absolutely overpowered right from the beginning.

But what the other guy is saying about terrain being the only thing that matters is completely off. Unless you get in a completely optimal situation (water character attacking a fire character with a water weapon on a water tile during a rainstorm with grueza's influence on) the boosts end up being unimportant for the most part.
>>
>>4147915
That extra content, tho.
>>
>>4147915
>Translation is good
lol.

No, it isn't. It makes every peasant and beastman talk like a chivalrous holy knight who's attending an audience with the Pope, and makes all names have random Xs and Ys just because the translator had a hard on for faux Elizabethan English.
>>
>>4151049
>But what the other guy is saying about terrain being the only thing that matters is completely off.

Yeah I'll agree he was being pretty reductive. And I am hard on the game because of the disappointment I had, but none of them are awful or even not worth playing. It just sucks that on the surface they all look absolutely incredible until you start digging into the systems more.
>>
File: 600x448-2017021000065.jpg (40KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
600x448-2017021000065.jpg
40KB, 600x448px
Almost bought this on Yahoo Auctions here in Jap-land... 303 yen - or about 3 dollars. I ended up passing and no one bought it. Thoughts?
>>
>>4152368
Ultimately they're simplistic and while they have tons of strategy choices, only a handful at best are really optimal/overpowered so while you can try everything out it does have that "why bother" effect. But the key word here is "ultimately", at first you have no idea wtf is going on and the game encourages you to try everything out. The process through which you learn what works best is what's the most fun, and it lasts a long while through the game because the story missions keep throwing new stuff at you. I really can't fault the games for me knowing how to abuse them in a way... plus in the case of the Ogre Battle Saga I prefer them simplistic than overly convoluted to compensate and create an illusion of depth (see the post game content on the Luct remake).

>>4152450
I don't collect and even I know that was an absolute steal. You should have bought that, dude.
>>
>>4152691
I thought so too... but its been re-listed 4 times so far... it keeps dropping.. started at 5 dollars, then like 4.75.... etc etc. I think games here in the land of the falling sun aren't too pricy, and complete in box is pretty normal since - unlike back home - people here almost always keep boxes and packaging materials.
I'll even do the dumbest thing, and post the link here you can check it out https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m189648668
>>
>>4152450
Not that much of a steal, games with heavy amounts of Japanese regularly go for nothing.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.