/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega of America censorship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (15KB, 370x278px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 370x278px
Did they censor much as NoA? Or at all?
>>
Not as much but they were ahead of the curve and had their own rating system before the ESRB.
>>
File: image.png (15KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
15KB, 320x224px
>>4142015
I was playing Swords of vermilion, I saw crosses. That would had be censored on news and snes.
>>
>>4142050
Nes*
>>
>>4142015
Most of the censorship was sexual stuff but not to the extent of Nintendo.

Nintendo would also swap out poison and her ilk in snes for males.

Sega did allow lots of blood and religion stuff in western stuff.

Most censorship in America is from angry soccor moms or sex negative christain moms. They used fedric to censor comics. Tried to censor metal in the 80s.

Funny thing is most teen girls and women in usa and uk today wear clothes more explict than old video game lasses.

Weird world.
>>
File: FF1.png (7KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
FF1.png
7KB, 256x240px
>>4142050
Are you sure about that, Anon?
>>
>>4142117
That's from the JP version.
>>
>>4142015
there was Contra / Probotector.

I never really got the fuss, and it made the main characters cyborg badasses so meh.

also when nintendo threw a fit about gameshark technology sega were like "just do it man, it doesn't harm people", based as fuck, rip megadrive era.

>did they censor as much as NoA?
you'd have to be the FCC to do that.
>>
>>4142015
Funny thing about this slide

>way back in the mid 90's when I was 8 or 9 years old
>rented Snatcher for my SegaCD from the local Hollywood Video with my dad
>Loaded it up, was super text heavy and I was a dumb kid who could barely read
>Somehow bruteforced my way past the text at the office building and made it here to freeway underpass
>Saw this very shot of brutally decapitated man and got so spooked that I turned off the game and never played it again.

This is very etched into my memory.
>>
>Or at all
Yes, SoA did censor games. There's a whole thread about it on the catalog.
>>
>>4142015
There's one or two edited scenes on the Sega CD, but it's nothing like the later sanitised versions the Playstation and Saturn got.
>>
>>4142951
Wait, so the Sega CD version is also censored?
What's the uncensored version? PC-98?
>>
File: snatcher-msx10.png (14KB, 544x480px) Image search: [Google]
snatcher-msx10.png
14KB, 544x480px
>>4142954
Not necessarily censored, they edited the star wars and sci-fi references in the pub to Konami game references due to copyright meddling.
>>
File: snatchersegacd-10.png (11KB, 308x235px) Image search: [Google]
snatchersegacd-10.png
11KB, 308x235px
>>4142983
Sega CD ver
>>
>>4142954
Some nudity has been covered up. You can only really say the PC Engine and Japanese computer releases are uncensored.
>>
>>4142987
Nice, I didn't know that. I dig the xenomorph but I think I prefer having Goemon and Sparkster cameos.
>>4142998
I see... PC Engine is 100% uncensored too? What about the cameos?
>>
File: IMG_1169.jpg (24KB, 222x258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1169.jpg
24KB, 222x258px
This is from Strider 2 Strider Returns on Genesis.

Nip slip and all.
>>
>>4143010
nice
>>
>>4143010
I wish Strider 2 was a good game.
>>
>>4143202
fug, I fucked up, I wanted to make a thread, not post here
sorry
>>
>>4143202
>talking about PSP on /vr/
Oh hey guys I just got Bloodborne, I know it's not exactly retro, but how do I beat Ludwig?
>>
>>4143202
you fucked up twice but make the thread and watch it get removed
>>
>>4142117
NA version had a big heart, not a cross
>>
>>4142998
I didn't think any version was uncensored...you either have to choose if you want to see titties or gore, because no version has both if I remember right.
>>
>>4142983
>>4142987
my god, why every fucking version of Snatcher looks so damn good, each one with it's own style
>>
>>4143375
The older versions have the gore, it just uses the picture in the OP instead of the altered one on the Sega CD. The only versions stripped of gore are the 5th-gen releases
>>
Does the original PC-98 have the lightgun sections?
>>
>>4143010
That was in the US version?
>>
>>4142863
Probotector was entirely Germany's fault. They STILL pull this shit, the German version of Team Fortress 2, all the characters are robots
>>
>>4142983
I actually like the Sega CD version with all the Konami references better
>>
>>4148948
>They STILL pull this shit, the German version of Team Fortress 2, all the characters are robots
What?
No way. No fucking way is that true.
>>
File: Destroyed lobby.png (818KB, 6144x4096px) Image search: [Google]
Destroyed lobby.png
818KB, 6144x4096px
censored to HELL and back?
>>
>>4148948
No it wasn't. They changed it because Contra is an actual organisation and Europe wasn't on good terms with it.
>>
>>4148969
Oh but it is. They have the same normal character models but when you kill them there's no blood and instead of gibs or anything they explode into robot parts and gears
>>
>>4142015
Yes, they censored many games. Even at Dreamcast era by removing cigarettes and alcohol from Skies of Arcadia.
>>
>>4142015
Pretty sure the Mortal Kombat fiasco where sales of uncensored SEGA copies stomped the ever living shit out of Nintendo's gimped version actually made NoA lighten up their censorship in response, at least for a little while.
>>
>>4151981
>Nintendo, which had a policy of screening games for content like blood, had refused to allow gore in Mortal Kombat's release for their home system.[16] Meanwhile, their rival, Sega, released the game with their MA-13 rating, resulting in a great commercial success for them when millions of consumers chose their version over Nintendo's.[17] Nintendo's representatives attempted to use that fact to attack Sega during the hearings.[note 3] In response, Sega's Spanish division cancelled the release of their version of Mortal Kombat in Spain, fearing the game would stir up as much controversy there as it had in the United States and the United Kingdom.[18]

Dick move, Nintendo.
>>
>>4151984
>As narrated by Greeson, "in the hearing, a Nintendo representative attacked Sega for its release of violent games and said his own company had tried to mitigate the industry's worst excesses. In response, the Sega representative pulled out a prop - a bazooka-style gun accessory used by some Nintendo games - and asked if that was the appropriate means to teach nonviolence to children."

And nice burn by SEGA. The SEGA/Nintendo rivalry were some fun times.
>>
>>4143040
The PS1 one is.
>>
>>4151984
>Sega's Spanish division cancelled the release of their version of Mortal Kombat in Spain
I remember playing MK on Megadrive. I don't think this is true.
>>
>>4152091
The Spanish division canceled their "version" which probably means they had their own changes made. Possibly to language or content. With the intention of distribution specifically to the Spain market.
It wouldn't stop unmodified PAL versions from making it into stores. Which is what you likely played.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.