[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SNES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

Why is there no HDMI solution for SNES?

We have
Hi-Def NES (HDMI NES)
UltraHDMI (HDMI N64)
GCVideo (HDMI Gamecube)

But nothing for SNES, arguably the best console Nintendo ever put out. What the fuck is going on? Are people buying Retrons or emulating? RGB is shit because you have to go through 10 billion converters to get it to work.
>>
Why would you want to play SD games in HD resolutions?
>>
>>4141306
We also have the other NES consoles that make it totally HD like AVS.
>>
File: 1493410125088.jpg (199KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1493410125088.jpg
199KB, 900x1200px
>>4141309
Because 8-bit and 16-bit graphics look fucking gorgeous, colorful, bright vibrant clear and beautiful in HD.
>>
>>4141309
>playing in SD

Do you also run your SNES through your VCR
>>
>>4141319
Hm, I think they look better when displayed in their original resolution, and the colors look especially vibrant on SD CRTs, colors tend to look washed out on HD LCD/LED screens. Not sure about HD CRTs, never tried one.
I want to pet that fat cat.
>>
>>4141324
Yes, playing SD games on SD screens, what about it?
>through VCR
Never did that, except when I wanted to record some gameplay on video.
>>
File: 1476582357509.png (119KB, 500x593px) Image search: [Google]
1476582357509.png
119KB, 500x593px
>>4141306
I'm more upset that there is nearly perfect media emulation (flashcarts, hard drive loaders, optical drive emulators) for just about every console besides Ps1 and SNES. The two with the biggest most diverse libraries. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>4141324
Damn straight i do
>>
>>4141329
>SNES
>Diverse
If you like JRPGs and Nintendo games, I guess.
>>
>>4141325
Okay, enjoy Cathode Ray Tube death in 5-10 years as the tubes continue to degrade and fade.
>>
>>4141335
>(You)
>>
>>4141336
Enjoy playing the games the wrong way.
>>
File: Life_without_BVMs_is_suffering.jpg (687KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Life_without_BVMs_is_suffering.jpg
687KB, 2592x1944px
>>4141306
I think there are a few projects to get a FPGA core to do SNES. Once that is achieved, there may be a HDMI solution.

I really want a Hi-Def NES, Ultra HDMI, and GCVideo but those are really expensive as well. The alternatives like getting a NT Analog Mini is actually more expensive than the $400+ for those Hi-Def NES game-tech.us auctions them off for. There is no alternative to UltraHDMI, and the cheapest modder available will cost over $300 once shipping a system to and from the modder is factored in. GCVideo is from badassconsoles which has not accepted any more offers in months. I just have to accept that RGB for the systems and D-terminal for GC is the best I can get.

>>4141319
Yeah, I wish I could afford one of those low-to-no latency 4k TVs as 4k seems to be a common multiple of a lot of resolutions my systems output. I too think that fatty cat looks so fluffy!

>>4141329
I guess the benefit of those surviving are Virtual Console and PSN network. I am at the mercy of the few people who offer stuff for the 15 seconds of availability for those disc drive replacements or flash carts. Or modders who accept one job every 4 months, if I even get lucky enough to win that lottery.

>>4141336
It is a bummer, as the people with the knowledge and skill to repair/restore them along with the parts are fading. I am already feeling the pressures with my systems degrading too.
>>
>>4141457
>I really want a Hi-Def NES, Ultra HDMI, and GCVideo but those are really expensive as well.

I have the UltraHDMI n64 and GCVideo Gamecube. The n64 was like 275 and the GCVideo Gamecube was like 275. Less than modern consoles.
>>
>>4141457
>I am at the mercy of the few people who offer stuff for the 15 seconds of availability for those disc drive replacements or flash carts.
Gonna disagree with you there. I haven't broken into all of my consoles yet but unless you're shooting dor PSIO or GDEMU you really don't need to be on any waiting lists. PSIO a shit though a d GDEMU is infinitely inferior to USBGDROM.

As far as modding jobs go all the best stuff is plug and play anyways. Unless you're doing not retro stuff like Xbox hard drive replacements or Ps2 Hard drive additions.
>>
>>4141457
HD Retrovision would be great if it was HDMI.

My receiver probably doesn't support 240p in it's component ports, and normally just translates signal to 480i.
>>
>>4141336
Thanks, I surely will.
I have a lot of CRTs I got from my relatives when they switched to LCD like 10 years ago. Probably I have a lifetime supply.
Plus it's not like it's hard to buy a CRT; there's many different models to choose from and all.
>>
>>4141495
Oh, really? Where do you buy newly manufactured standard definition CRTs from? :)

O... Oh :( You didn't know? They degrade whether in use or not... :(
>>
>>4141495
The color phosphors in CRT televisions degrade whether they are being actively used or not.

The electrons in the tubes are finite, they will lose power over time with consistent use.

Your older CRTs will start to fade, get fuzzier, and lose accurate colors around 10-15 years, and then really go down hill after 20 or so. Heavily watched or used CRTs from the 90s are unusable now.
>>
>>4141306
It's because the NES and N64 don't have RGB outputs inb4 N64 pedants and the GCN has native capacity for progressive scan but lacks the encoder.

So - in those three cases a one-piece solution can be competitive with a standalone upscaler plus the additional step of getting them to put out an upscalable signal.
>>
>>4141527
That actually makes sense.
>>
>>4141306
Just buy an SNES Classic. :^)
>>
>>4141536
It don't got enuff games :^)
>>
>>4141510
I have a Thomson RCA TV that was turned on 24/7 from 1990 - 2010 then sat on my back porch 2010-2012 and has served as my kid's bedroom TV since then, probably soon to be retired for an HDTV and some toy cubicle my wife just bought. It is displaying irrefutable phosphor degradation and emitter weakness but it's not "unusable". I can post pics of its screen for reference on what true age/wear looks like.
>>
>>4141306
Fucking Framemeister mate.
>>
File: 1493504438615.gif (2MB, 181x292px) Image search: [Google]
1493504438615.gif
2MB, 181x292px
>>4141551
>it is displaying irrefutable phosphor degradation and emitter weakness but it's not "unusable"
>>
>>4141306
>RGB is shit because you have to go through 10 billion converters to get it to work.
lel americant's
>>
>>4141505
Damn anon, your passive-aggressiveness really flatters me.
>>4141510
It depends on the TV. And still that's a lot more than the life span of a modern TV.

but besides this CRT vs LCD bullshit, the question here remains: why do you want to play SD games on HD displays?
If your hateboner is on the catode ray tubes, then why not get an SD LCD?
>>
>>4141540
it'll get hacked

>>4141572
OSSC m8
>>
>>4141585
>why do you want to play SD games on HD displays?
the answer should be obvious. If you want to buy a nice new tv for your home then you're getting a HDTV. If you want to play your old console on your nice new TV, then you're playing SD games on a HD display
>>
>>4141306
Probably because it does RGB and that's good enough for anyone who insists in playing on an LCD and isn't super poor and retarded.
>RGB is shit because I'm retarded
Totally RGBs fault there.
>>
>>4142371
This.
>>4141306
The popular gaming upscalers all support RGB, which the SNES outputs stock, as well as easy component with the HD retrovision cables. The NES and N64 don't output RGB without internal modding, so modders came up with the HDMI solution to combine better video quality from those systems with an upscaler plays friendlier with modern flat screens. And the big pro for the N64 HDMI is bypassing the blurriness caused by the N64's anti-aliasing and bilinear bullshit
>>
>>4142410
i recall hearing that the N64 RGB mod now apparently has the same benefit of bypassing the default blurriness. I haven't seen it in action however, but I hope it's true because that should work well with my ossc
>>
>>4141306
fuck your hdmi bitch. get a crt
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.