[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 RGB Mod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: small_10-adapter_stuck_down.jpg (81KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
small_10-adapter_stuck_down.jpg
81KB, 400x300px
>buy this mod
>begin to disassemble console
>3 screws broke apart while unscrewing with a normal screwdriver
>proceed to take everything apart
>line up this flimsy piece of shit with the chip
>"wow, that's way smaller than I thought..."
>soldering iron tip is thicker than the distance between two metal parts of the chip
>attempt to solder
>solder coats over multiple pieces at once
>already fucked: ABORT
>attempt to desolder, but it won't
>"OH FUCK!"
>try to desolder *harder*
>destroy pic related
>metal no longer connect just coated with solder
>"m-maybe i can just solder the wires without the piece..."
>can't strip the wires despite using the exact tool in the instruction
>the fucking wire is so brittle and thin that it just rips off with the insulation no matter what
>put console back to together
>throw modchip in drawer

Just a message for anyone attempting this: if you do require the adapter in pic related, hire someone else. You will likely not have the tools for the job.
>>
You probably should have disassembled and gauged if you had the skills ahead of time. That does look like a nice little circuit rebuild kit though and simple too. Hopefully it didn't cost too much.
>>
1) Flux
2) Desolder wick
3) Smaller soldering iron tip.

I would make sure I had a pretty fine tip on my iron if I was going to do this one at a time.

I've also seen people solder one point down then run a knife style soldering tip with some solder across this ribbon cable. Haven't tried much myself but I'd be more confident doing it one by one. I'd solder the first and last points to secure the ribbon down first.

You went about this without a battle plan. Regroup, buy the mentioned supplies, try again sir.
>>
>>4141109
>>soldering iron tip is thicker than the distance between two metal parts of the chip
It should be common sense not to do that.
>>
>>4141109
Why the fuck are you wasting time and money on the RGB mod when the UltraHDMI mod is literally night and day better?
>>
>>4141295
>HDMI on a CRT
>>
RGB is a meme
>>
>>4141109
I don't mean to be a dick about this anon, but your thread is basically you whining about something that you had no skills in doing and thought you could just jump right in for some reason. Those installs are fairly simple if you have actual soldering skills. There's a reason people take time to learn how to solder or, like the conclusion you came to, pay someone else. Viletim's products are incredibly well designed.
>>
For soldering several tiny pins in a row, cover the whole row liberally with flux and solder from there. This will help prevent bridging pins.
>>
>>4141313
Digital to analog conversion.
>>
>>4141326
This it doesn't actually matter that the pins are bigger than your tip. The solder will stick where it supposed to unless you use way too much. And if you then just get desolate wick to suck some up

That style with the membrane wires is a godsend at least you aren't tying jumper wires directly to the chip
>>
>>4141109
>>4141278
It's fucking fine. Lrn2swipe, faggots.
>>
File: soldering SMD like a pro.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
soldering SMD like a pro.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>4141109
>soldering iron tip is thicker than the distance between two metal parts of the chip

How is that a problem? I solder nearly everything with a large flat tip.

On an unrelated note, that thing looks stupid as fuck, considering that you have to keep installing additional cables to it, so it can connect to the actual mod board. Should've put a ZIF socket on it and use flat ribbon cables.
>>
File: sweat.gif (263KB, 383x306px) Image search: [Google]
sweat.gif
263KB, 383x306px
>>4141387
Mr. Anonymous, you can't post images like that on a safe for work board!
>>
>>4141387
Can anyone recommend an easy to use flux for PCB soldering like that? All I have is stuff that comes in a can that you have to manually apply to the pins.

Also, a good flux cleaner.
>>
>>4141109
Should have watched this first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1mtcbfGzV8
>>
>>4141109
Those solder points are huge you ultrapleb. Try PS2 mod sometime like us Real Men.
>>
Drakon's at it again.
>>
>>4141109
>>solder coats over multiple pieces at once
>>already fucked: ABORT
>>attempt to desolder, but it won't
retard

>>4141278
no, he's just a retard
>>
>>4141109
>be retarded
>brag about it on 4chan
lol
>>
>>4142046
I know we are all jaded as fuck assholes but anyone whose gotten into electronics and modding knows early on there were some fuck ups made.

Dude thought he could knock this out as an early project and got overwhelmed. Happens.

Except me, everything I've done is perfect.
>>
>>4141109
don't be too hard on yourself, op
I'm pretty sure you're good at cooking, laundry, dish washing, sucking a cock, perhaps? You'll be a great wife.
>>
>>4141109
>blogging about your own retardation
wrong site, you're looking for reddit
>>
>>4142078
>I know we are all jaded as fuck assholes but anyone whose gotten into electronics and modding knows early on there were some fuck ups made.
Not with soldering.

How hard is it to pick up broken electronics and learn to solder.
>>
>>4141470
Isopropanol cleans it good

I got an 5ml and 1ml syringe from the drugstore (probably have to ask at pharmacy) that I use to suck up solder out of my RadioShack tin

If I use that all up I might buy something nicer that comes in a syringe

You can also buy syringes on amazon for like the cost of shipping and get a couple tips of various sizes too

Auto shop stores also have them for various uses, like taking extra fluids out of reservoirs
>>
>>4142078
You're not wrong but my early projects sure as shit weren't done with expensive add on boards and surface mount components. It was stupid shit like swapping in a blue LCD to a Dreamcast or something like that.
>>
Y'all need to watch Rossman repair on YouTube

He doesn't do this shit surgically but he has lots of good techniques for board repair

Like I watch him then watch some nes mod fag and it's shocking how terrible he is, it's like a child
>>
>>4141316
>>4141295
Buthurt American'ts
>>
>>4141109
Your own terrible personal skills are a bad metric to compare others.

OR

This reeks of someone trying to shill overpriced modchip installer services
>>
File: cooper-B000BRC2XU-1-lg.jpg (50KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
cooper-B000BRC2XU-1-lg.jpg
50KB, 800x539px
>>4141109
>using $15 soldering iron
>>
>>4142527
Sorry, I should've clarified, I mean some cloth or tool for cleaning, that can get under and around all the components and doesn't get shredded while doing so.
>>
>>4142078
>Except me, everything I've done is perfect.

Fuck off, Maddox.
>>
>>4142813
I use a cheap soldering station and it works like charm
>>
>>4141109
Solder bridges are generally caused by too much solder. if 2 contacts or leads are heated equally with the appropriate amount of solder both leads should pull the solder in, not allow it to spread out. Best thing i ever did was get thin solder, not a thin tip. I prefer larger tips because you can transfer heat faster, i damage many less ICs with a bigger tip. Smd is a whole different beast.
>>
>>4141316
Butthurt poorfag
>>
>>4141471
Amazing handywork.
>>
>>4144030
You are mean :(
>>
>>4144042
rgb it's cheap if you know what to buy.
>>
>>4142985
poor, ignorant fool. >>4142813 speaks truth. when it comes to tools, you pay for what you get.
>>
Am I the only one who couldn't follow a word OP said?
>>
Serves you right. OP is an uppity autist who should have settled for S-video.
>>
>>4144169
Yes. Thanks for contributing to the thread.

>>4142985
While I'll be the first guy to say that a mid-range $40 Weller soldering iron is great for starters and it's prudent to work your way up to a $100 Hakko set....

I would also stall this N64 project till I have enough projects under my belt to think "Hey, maybe doing this hobby thing is worth a benjamin" and have that $100 Hakko iron.
>>
>>4142529
Right...I'm not arguing this was a poor choice for a first, second or even third project. I am saying we all had early fuck ups and dog piling on this guy isn't going to help transform him into the sexy modding beasts we are.

He probably deserves the stings, but I think feedback and education on proper modding tools & techniques is valuable too.

PS: my first mod was a TG16 AV cable. I chose it because it presented the least amount of risk and disassembly. S-Video circuit for the Sega Genesis was next. I was stuck because I wanted to remove the RF Modulator and that is a bitch without a good pump desoldering iron. My next was a NES2 AV mod. By that time, I had gained quite a bit of confidence and upgraded my iron.
>>
>>4141109
Not sure if you're around OP or if you ran away with your tail between your legs but I would be happy to take your N64 and chip in and RGB mod it for cheaper than like GameTech US or some other big modder dude. I'd also be down to take just the chip and ribbon cable off your hands if you don't want to bother anymore. I got a spare N64 I was waiting on the UltraHDMI for.

Let me know if you want to get in touch, I can provide you samples of my work. I've done everything from NES with all the bells and whistles to a GCVideo for HDMI Gamecube.
>>
Fall for the meme, pay the toll.
>>
>>4142852
Probably Kim-Wipes if you can wipe the surface and you're getting really bothered by stuff being left behind by your normal wipe or q-tip.

If you want to get something super tiny or poke something underneath something, you could get a 1.25mm fiberoptic cleaning swab. they are really expensive though, and you'd probably be better served alternating spraying alcohol and compressed air underneath whatever you are thinking of.
>>
>>4142078
I recently AV modded my NES toploader with no experience, and it all worked fine.
>>
>>4144481
I kind of feel bad for neglecting my FX888. I got a TS100 portable temp-controlled iron not too long ago that I keep using even when the Hakko is nearby just because it's so convenient and works almost as well. It'll run straight off a car battery and all kinds of laptop power bricks, basically from 15W at 12V to 60W at 24V.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.