[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want an Svideo cable for my Nintendo consoles, does anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: s-l500.jpg (31KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
31KB, 500x496px
I want an Svideo cable for my Nintendo consoles, does anyone here use one?

Is pic related good?
>>
Hopefully this won't turn into a shitshow like the last thread. But to answer your question: probably not. Most s-video cables that also have a composite video plug bridge the composite line to the s-video luma line to save a few cents vs actually running a proper separate wire to the luma line. The cable manufacturer saves money and gets to advertise it as a "universal" cable, and you get shit s-video quality because the luma is being drawn from a composite video signal that has interference from the chroma subcarrier instead of the true separate pristine luma signal that the console outputs. In most cases, the video quality will be even worse than plain composite, because at least composite gets cleaned up a bit by the TV's comb filter (which isn't used on an s-video input because luma and chroma are assumed to already be properly separated). Basically, look for a cable that doesn't have the yellow RCA plug.
>>
>>4141259
this

That being said, I use the official Nintendo S-Video cables on my Rev-08 N64 and the picture quality is absolutely fantastic.
>>
File: 1439262224492[1].jpg (240KB, 900x829px) Image search: [Google]
1439262224492[1].jpg
240KB, 900x829px
>>4141259
I've seen pic related but none of my S-Video cables do this unless I have them connected to a console. I try to only buy cables that seem to have some quality but it seems crazy to me to imagine that cheap 90s TVs would even accept composite as luma. Is the working theory that they just handle it by smearing everything into what is essentially composite at the end?

I use composite for rgb sync on my pvms and they don't give a fuck while I understand some rgb crts give many fucks. Is it "acceptable" to use composite for luma because all composite TVs separate chroma from luma internally already?
>>
>>4141259
>>4141282
Where do you guys find authentic first-party Nintendo S-Video cables?
>>
File: c700x420[1].jpg (43KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
c700x420[1].jpg
43KB, 700x420px
>>4141303
Probably they shell out to be sure while I've always been cheap and prefer to find out for myself. My cables look like pic related although since I got them out of a thrift store bin I can't tell you the brand for sure but notice the different thickness of the wire that's running to the composite and s-video outs compared to in the other pic I posted. That's what I personally look for since ones without composite or OEM ones are pretty rare to find. These things though I've picked up three of and would buy more. So handy. Just don't have them hooked to multiple consoles at the same time.
>>
>>4141303
eBay

They're a lot more expensive than most S-Video cables though.
>>
>>4141338
do the Japanese cables work on American systems as well?
>>
>>4141303
I was fortunate to find a Monster s-video cable for dirt cheap many years ago, but those are selling for a premium these days if I'm not mistaken. Just be glad they're not going for GameCube component cable prices (just sold mine for $240).
>>
>>4141347
Yes, there aren't any regional lockouts on copper wire.
>>
>>4141347
Yes

Also, SNES/N64/GameCube all use the same connector and cables can be used for it interchangeably.
>>
>>4141297
Analog connectors will try to do something with pretty much any signal they're fed; for some real fun, try plugging a composite video connector into an RCA audio jack. A poster in the other thread tested using a composite signal in place of luma in a monitor with separate luma and chroma jacks, and it absolutely will display a (shitty) image.
>>
>>4141297
A valid luma signal is still in there so most TVs will still display it. The problem is that it's mixed with the chroma so your luma has lower bandwidth than if it had its own wire like it's supposed to, and it has interference from the chroma sharing the wire as well which your TV probably won't know to deal with since it's coming in off the svideo port.

Also I'm surprised 4hcan let you post that pic without a dupe error since the other thread was still up.
>>
>>4141367
>try plugging a composite video connector into an RCA audio jack
Who hasn't done this? I thought I broke everything when I was like ten years old.
>>
Although its true that some manufacturers may just route the composite signal into the luma pin to save a few cents, its not as common as some anons may have you believe. I have bought 4 different cables of this style and none of them have had this issue.
>>
I recently bought an s video cable for snes and n64 from ebay, wasn't 1st party but the item description stated true s video and there was no yellow composite cable. If you can find a similar listing, you'll likely get a good cable.
>>
>>4141297
>it seems crazy to me to imagine that cheap 90s TVs would even accept composite as luma

Why? It's analog and the signal it's looking for is there, as shitty quality as it might be. The dumber the TV the more likely it is that it lacks any smarts to figure out there's a problem and it'll just accept the signal without complaint.

>>4141337
>Just don't have them hooked to multiple consoles at the same time.

Delicious interference.

>>4141413
If you really want to be sure to have a top-notch cable you can buy a shitty one just for the multi-out connector and re-wire it yourself with good shielded cable. Doing it this way is better than even the 1st party cables honestly.
>>
PSA: Monoprice cables with both composite and s video leads work as intended. No fake s video there.
>>
>>4143248
I can confirm this, but does Monoprice even make cables for retro systems? Earliest I have from them is Wii, and their site search is garbage now so I haven't used them lately.
>>
>>4143349

I only have the Wii version too but my Wii is the only thing I use to play retro games anymore.
>>
File: 1431733413998.jpg (11KB, 143x154px) Image search: [Google]
1431733413998.jpg
11KB, 143x154px
Bought a cheap one from china, works wonders.
>>
i bought OP related from a gameshop. looked better than the stock composite one i had
>>
>>4143489
I got one too, and while the video quality is alitle better, they most certainly aren't true S-Video.

It tested it with my multimeter, and the composite video is bridged with the s-video.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.