[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What retro games let me walk around in Japanese suburbs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: 03sat.jpg (22KB, 350x272px) Image search: [Google]
03sat.jpg
22KB, 350x272px
What retro games let me walk around in Japanese suburbs?
>>
File: 0_kqw8.png (389KB, 1000x584px) Image search: [Google]
0_kqw8.png
389KB, 1000x584px
Doukyuusei
>>
Real places like OP's game or fictional towns too?
>>
>>4140380
Both are fine.
>>
>>4140350
Rent A Hero
>>
>>4140350
River City Ransom and that Jap only sequel (that has a ENG patch).

Also was Omikron has suburbs... right? I remember japan future (blade runner like feel) but it has been 16 years since I touched it.
>>4140359
If that counts does Wan Chai Connection on Saturn count? (pretty sure it has ENG patch)

Too bad a handful of games that come to mind that did certain things really well are not considered retro. Way of the Samurai being a good example of Japan exploring. In fact most of the games I like more than Shenmue are not considered retro on /vr/
>>
>>4140423
>If that counts does Wan Chai Connection on Saturn count?
No. The game isn't set during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong (1941-1945).
>>
>>4140350
DUDE I WANT TO PLAY SATURN SHENMUE SO BAD. IT LOOKS AMAZING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckIE-XNgvM
>>
>>4140463
>dat music
>>
>>4140350
I know it's not retro (neither is shemnue..) but did anyone else think sleeping dogs was like a spiritual successor to shenmue?
>>
>>4140468
yakuza
>>
>>4140463
>autism speaks
>>
>>4140480
I am artistic 4 saturn
>>
File: gokinjo boukentai.jpg (198KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
gokinjo boukentai.jpg
198KB, 1000x700px
Gokinjo Boukentai
>>
Twilight Syndrome
>>
Resident Evil 3

'Cause American cities aren't made up of tight hallways.
>>
>>4140638
>hallways
Neither are Japan's.
>>
File: re3.jpg (300KB, 1200x900px)
re3.jpg
300KB, 1200x900px
>>4140645
I just posted a screenshot of Resident Evil 3
>>
>>4140653
In your head.
>>
>>4140423
Omikron had nothing to do with Japan
>>
Devilman
>>
>>4140468
Sleeping Dogs was a spiritual successor to True Crime. Also Shenmue is retro.
>>
Boku no Natsuyasumi has a rural Jap setting, with lots of empathis on exploration.
>>
>>4141564
This is a super cool looking game. Thanks a lot for the rec!
>>
Is Edo-era Japan suburbs OK? If so, every Goemon game have top comfy towns.
>>
whats that psx game (japan only release) where u are like walking around a neighbrohood and u can even get in a car and drive around. i think u were trying to solve a mystery or something
>>
File: Nerawareta Machi map.jpg (3MB, 3173x3193px) Image search: [Google]
Nerawareta Machi map.jpg
3MB, 3173x3193px
>>4141661
Sounds like GERMS: Nerawareta Machi.

It didn't just have a neighbourhood, but a rather large town to explore. The outdoor environments were pretty simple; most buildings just looked like grey blocks. When you entered a building, the interior would be shown with more detail.
>>
>>4140350
Cobra Mission
LakersIII
many VN
>>
>>4141674
No, it's Yuuyami Doori Tankentai, a PS1 Japan-exclusive game made by the same behind Clock Tower and the Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome games

If I ever become an eccentric millionnaire I will basically pay people to fan-translate that game and several more
>>
>>4141680
Why not just learn japanese? Might actually be faster, cheaper and easier. Sure it's tedious at times and will take a while before it pays off, but learning can be fun.
>>
File: 1374333420221.jpg (32KB, 550x309px)
1374333420221.jpg
32KB, 550x309px
>>4141693
Fuck off.
>>
>>4141734
what? he gave you legitimate advice.

have fun not being able to play half of all intereting titles, I guess.
>>
>>4141693

Basically because I would want as many people as possible to be able to play these games, and more people speak English than Japanese
>>
The whole learn japanese vs wait for fan translation is silly shitposting.
Also, there's nothing wrong with people encouraging others to learn japanese, I don't get why some people take an offense from that.
>>
>>4140470
This. Yakuza is better, too.
>>
>>4141642
>every Goemon game
>comfy towns
Not the early games where towns are more dangerous than the stages.
>>
>>4140463
how fucking far were they? holy shit
>>
>>4141661
Sounds like Mizzurna Falls
>>
>>4141803
Yakuza is trash, though.
>>
>>4142095
Okay, Shenmue babby. Okay.
>>
>>4141740
>half of
It's nowhere near that many. Nearly every title worth playing is already in English.
>>
time to learn jap ;_;
>>
>>4142301
Shenmue is trash as well. Nice try, Yakuzafag.
>>
>>4144091
You take that back you rancid diseased cunt.
>>
>>4140468
>western game that treats asian cities as mere backdrops for an exotist fantasy
>spiritual sucessor of jap game
what did he mean by this?
>>
Warau Salesman on Sega CD.
>>
>>4142304
>nearly every title worth playing is already in english
>there are actually people that believe this
>>
>>4141790
>and more people speak English than Japanese
But given the amount of games and the number of people interested in them, it's more effective to hire a Japanese tutor for every one of them.
>>
>>4147710
As somebody living in Japan who speaks Japanese, I actually believe that there are more good japanese games that DON'T get translated than games that do.

The games that get translated tend to be games that are high-profile, high-budget games (and oftentimes are mediocre and boring as a result), cheap and easy-to-buy licensed games (usually crap), and games from companies who already have contracts with an overseas publisher/have an overseas division (this is where we get the good stuff.)

So so so many games just fall through the cracks, and nobody cares because they just pretend if they've never heard of it, it can't be good.

There are fans of the Mother franchise who have never played Moon or Linda^3, and that is a tragedy.
>>
>>4145336
>>4144091
Both of you suck dicks.
Yakuza and Shenmue are both great.
>>
Cool thread.

Reminds me of how I've been learning Japanese for years, lived in Japan for a year and moving back there next year.
>>
>>4147710
>>4147871
yeah yeah keep hyping up those 6/10s like they're the greatest shit ever
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.